I wrote a story.... Now what?

last reply
10 replies
1.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't want this to seem like its an advertising thread, so I'm not going to link to it here.

But I've just finished writing more than 22,000 words. The last part will hit the front page tonight for its turn in the sun. One of the older parts of it has gotten a couple thousand views, and it looks to me like it's being well received (let me just interject my thanks here to everyone who's voted and commented. You've no idea how much it means to me).

But once it falls off the front page... Then what? I'm torn between a narcissistic desire for people to read my work and not wanting to shove people's noses in it like a jerk.

Or in posting this, am I already that jerk? smile
My novel, The Society, is available now in the Kindle Store: http://www.amazon.com/The-Society-ebook/dp/B00BPF9U2I
Lurker
0 likes
You could put a link to it in your forum signature. It's simple and from what I've heard, effective. And don;t be afraid to adveertise yourself, you wanna be popular, you gotta work for it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Gurlyboy
You could put a link to it in your forum signature. It's simple and from what I've heard, effective. And don;t be afraid to adveertise yourself, you wanna be popular, you gotta work for it.

I guess I need to make a few more forum posts before the link in the signature shows up. But thanks for that suggestion.
My novel, The Society, is available now in the Kindle Store: http://www.amazon.com/The-Society-ebook/dp/B00BPF9U2I
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
I am most likely to read your story if a I see you mention it on your blog (if we're friends), or if a friend suggests I read it. I rarely look at the front page stories if I want to read.

As Dirty Martini has just found out (sorry), I cannot abide PMs that advertise a new story. I hit delete.

If I see your name around (which I have), I am also more likely to check out your profile, and scan your published stories. I quite like to see picture banners (if they're small) in your signature, and if I like it, that's another push to check out your work.

As Gurlyboy says, you need to work for it. I think you've made a good start.
Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Shylass
I am most likely to read your story if a I see you mention it on your blog (if we're friends), or if a friend suggests I read it. I rarely look at the front page stories if I want to read.

As Dirty Martini has just found out (sorry), I cannot abide PMs that advertise a new story. I hit delete.

If I see your name around (which I have), I am also more likely to check out your profile, and scan your published stories. I quite like to see picture banners (if they're small) in your signature, and if I like it, that's another push to check out your work.

oh, crap - i knew that was a bad idea! what about if i put gingas in it, tho!

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Cocolicious
0 likes
Quote by Shylass

Shameless self promoting plug: Does that mean you've read my new story?
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by cocokisses

Shameless self promoting plug: Does that mean you've read my new story?

I said "most likely". Haven't had a mate suggest it yet, so you'd better tell them off (although I have seen them commenting and scoring). Give me time, please.
Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Artistic Tart
0 likes
Quote by Sensei

Or in posting this, am I already that jerk? smile

Absolutely not. It's something that we all think about, if not struggle with: how to keep the profile high for our stories once they slip into the back catalog. With the site growing the way it has recently, that's happening quicker than ever.

The suggestion to create a forum signature linking to your story is the best advice, in my opinion. "PM blasts" are a polarizing way to go about it, as witnessed by the above reaction, and she's far from alone. Ideally, the story catches the reader's eye on the front page, and even if they don't make time to read it right then, seeing your forum signature will jog their memory of it, creating a long tail effect. As mentioned, being a visible person on the forums helps with views for all of your stories in general.

But in the end, unless you're lucky/skilled enough to earn an Editor's Pick or create one of the highest-scoring stories overall or by genre, the story views will slow to a trickle. The only way around this? Write a new story. I know, easier said than done!

Cocolicious
0 likes
Quote by LadyX

Absolutely not. It's something that we all think about, if not struggle with: how to keep the profile high for our stories once they slip into the back catalog. With the site growing the way it has recently, that's happening quicker than ever.

The suggestion to create a forum signature linking to your story is the best advice, in my opinion. "PM blasts" are a polarizing way to go about it, as witnessed by the above reaction, and she's far from alone. Ideally, the story catches the reader's eye on the front page, and even if they don't make time to read it right then, seeing your forum signature will jog their memory of it, creating a long tail effect. As mentioned, being a visible person on the forums helps with views for all of your stories in general.

But in the end, unless you're lucky/skilled enough to earn an Editor's Pick or create one of the highest-scoring stories overall or by genre, the story views will slow to a trickle. The only way around this? Write a new story. I know, easier said than done!

That is my struggle, I don't write fast enough. I'll be working on that.

I'm a firm believer (now, anyway) that the PM blasts get deleted by many. I love the blogs of my friends for getting information out. Do that and stay visible in the forums.
Weaver of Words
0 likes
I agree with coco. I did send out a PM for my competition story and will likely never do it again. I will just put it in my blog, and in my forum signature, then just post the HELL out in the forums (and that I can do well, lol).