Can a rewritten story be posted?

last reply
4 replies
1.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have a question concerning a story that I wrote (re-wrote from a description).

Some years ago a friend in Europe told me of a story that she had read that she thoroughly enjoyed, but had lost access to. She repeated as much of it as she could remember and wrote me sections that she (sort of) remembered.

Over time I thought I understood enough of the original story "flavor' to re-write this story for her. She liked it very much as has asked me to expand it from time to time and now thinks I should post it somewhere.

My problem is that there WAS and probably still IS an original out there somewhere and I surely do not wish to infringe on anyone else's rights or creativity.

I've looked diligently for a year and have not found that original.

It's an Exhibitionist story about a couple, their Paperboy and their enjoyment at her exposure. In four parts, it now has two follow-ons and a current ending that allows for further development.

I'd really like come opinions on this and would appreciate any opinions.

Thanks ...
"Teaching a pig to sing wastes your time and annoys the pig"
Lurker
0 likes
Hi Pogo. Give it a little time. The site owner, who knows the laws, is in a different time zone. As soon as she gets on she will answer your question. I would not want to second guess the law in copyright matters.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thanks for the advice, ChefKathleen ... I'll do just that.

I'll add, however, that all this started ten years ago, so the original is at least that old. I've searched ASSTR, Literotica, Stories Online, the web in general and any other location I could think of, but have never found it.
Matriarch
0 likes
Hi Pogo123,

All you have done is take a story plot, and written a story based on that. You have not copied an existing story, and made a few alterations, which would be plagiarism and a whole different matter altogether.

There must be thousands of stories out there containing a couple and a paperboy or similar theme. Nobody owns the copyright to the story plot outline as it were.

So as long as it's your original work, you're absolutely fine to post it.

I could search the web for the particular story if your "friend" could recall things like the characters names, or some mention of where it was set etc, otherwise without anything which would narrow down the search, it would be next to impossible to find.

I hope that helps in that regard.

You should make sure the story doesn't break our site guidelines though, I don't know many paperboys who are 16 years of age or older. We don't allow underage stories here in any capacity.

Nicola
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thanks for your opinion, Nicola .. it all makes very good sense, but ... I've decided to not post this story.

Everything you say is true ... the theme is very common, I cannot find the original and it is now so significantly different that I am very likely not infringing on anyone else's rights, but ... what started off as what I thought was a simple issue is turning into a hassle that isn't worth the effort.

My lady friend has enjoyed the story as I rewrote, embellished and expanded it and, in the final analysis, that's all that really matters. It was hers and for her enjoyment to begin with. I'm happy with that.

I only asked because she suggested that I find a place to more widely publish the story, but ... it's not worth even this much discussion.

I thank you all for your consideration and your opinions ... if this weren't the high quality site that it is, I would have never considered the posting nor asked the question ... I mean that as a compliment.

Thanks to you all ...

By the way, Nicola, the age of the "Paperboy" is legal and established early in the story.