Favourite Idioms?

last reply
19 replies
2.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
It's interesting to investigate their origins.

"Hold your tongue"

Also, hold or keep one's peace. Keep quiet, remain silent, as in If you don't hold your tongue you'll have to go outside, or Jenny kept her peace about the wedding. The idiom with tongue uses hold in the sense of "restrain," while the others use hold and keep in the sense of "preserve." Chaucer used the first idiom in The Tale of Melibus (c. 1387): "Thee is better hold thy tongue still, than for to speak." The variant appears in the traditional wedding service, telling anyone who knows that a marriage should not take place to "speak now or forever hold your peace."
Lurker
0 likes
(Scene: a wartime RAF station)

Jones: Morning, Squadron Leader.

Idle: What-ho, Squiffy.

Jones: How was it?

Idle: Top-hole. Bally Jerry, pranged his kite right in the how's-your-father; hairy blighter, dicky-birded, feathered back on his sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harpers and caught his can in the Bertie.

Jones: Er, I'm afraid I don't quite follow you, Squadron Leader.

Idle: It's perfectly ordinary banter, Squiffy. Bally Jerry, pranged his kite right in the how's-your-father; hairy blighter, dicky-birded, feathered back on his sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harpers and caught his can in the Bertie.

Jones: No, I'm just not understanding banter at all well today. Give us it slower.

Idle: Banter's not the same if you say it slower, Squiffy.

~From Monty Python
Matriarch
0 likes
"Grin and bear it."

To endure something unpleasant in good humor. There is nothing you can do but grin and bear it. "I hate having to work for rude people. I guess I have to grin and bear it."
Lurker
0 likes
We have one in Afrikaans -
maggies vol-oogies toe
It translates to stomach full -eyes closing
It means to eat so much that you get really sleepy

I also like 'Crack Someone Up' which means to make someone laugh.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Resistance is futile.....
Lurker
0 likes
Is this a very Norfolk/ English thing Nic One needs to come back to this in the morning; when one has had her English breakfast and some Twinnings tea. Ta ta for now Chaps lol
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by roccotool
(Scene: a wartime RAF station)

Jones: Morning, Squadron Leader.

Idle: What-ho, Squiffy.

Jones: How was it?

Idle: Top-hole. Bally Jerry, pranged his kite right in the how's-your-father; hairy blighter, dicky-birded, feathered back on his sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harpers and caught his can in the Bertie.

Jones: Er, I'm afraid I don't quite follow you, Squadron Leader.

Idle: It's perfectly ordinary banter, Squiffy. Bally Jerry, pranged his kite right in the how's-your-father; hairy blighter, dicky-birded, feathered back on his sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harpers and caught his can in the Bertie.

Jones: No, I'm just not understanding banter at all well today. Give us it slower.

Idle: Banter's not the same if you say it slower, Squiffy.

~From Monty Python

Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by HoneyBee000
Is this a very Norfolk/ English thing Nic One needs to come back to this in the morning; when one has had her English breakfast and some Twinnings tea. Ta ta for now Chaps lol

Probably! Good memory.

It's an English thing I'd guess, there are lots of sayings here: http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/

We'll approach old wives' tales next week!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola
"Grin and bear it."

To endure something unpleasant in good humor. There is nothing you can do but grin and bear it. "I hate having to work for rude people. I guess I have to grin and bear it."

Well, Nicola I was born and bread a Yorkshire lass, so 'ey up' Get that kettle on for a strong brew of Yorkshire's finest cup of tea.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola
"Grin and bear it."

Well, Nicola I was born and bread a Yorkshire lass, so 'ey up' Get that kettle on for a strong brew of Yorkshire's finest cup of tea.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Loislane
maggies vol-oogies toe

When you speak in Afrikaans it makes me uncontrollably horny. And thats all I am going to say about that.
Dankie hoor!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by NobeUddy
Quote by Loislane
maggies vol-oogies toe

When you speak in Afrikaans it makes me uncontrollably horny. And thats all I am going to say about that.
Dankie hoor!

(grins)
Constant Gardener
0 likes
'Can't wipe his ass with both hands'

'You'll shit and fall back in it'

My maternal grandmother often used both of these and strangely, I cannot find either phrase on any of the first four pages of Google. I must conclude, then...that they are two of her more colorful original idioms. She had a few others, which should come back to me, as I reflect.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Loislane
maggies vol-oogies toe

I found this to be interesting, about Afrikaans:

Another highlight was South African author Andre Brink, one of the few members of the South African delegation that managed to make it to the fair. His conversation with Maureen Freely, translator from the Turkish (of Orhan Pamuk, among others), touched on the history of Afrikaans, from its birth as a creole type of language spoken by the serving classes attempting to speak Dutch through its evolution and lingered on the politics of language. The most delightful moment of their conversation, perhaps, was his story of a Scandinavian visitor to South Africa using the expression “That’s just the tip of the iceberg” in a dialogue with some local farmers, whose faces remained blank until an interpreter translated the phrase to mean “That’s just the ears of the hippopotamus.”

From Words Without Borders: The Ears of the Hippopatamus

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by gypsymoth
Quote by Loislane
maggies vol-oogies toe

Another highlight was South African author Andre Brink, one of the few members of the South African delegation that managed to make it to the fair. His conversation with Maureen Freely, translator from the Turkish (of Orhan Pamuk, among others), touched on the history of Afrikaans, from its birth as a creole type of language spoken by the serving classes attempting to speak Dutch through its evolution and lingered on the politics of language. The most delightful moment of their conversation, perhaps, was his story of a Scandinavian visitor to South Africa using the expression “That’s just the tip of the iceberg” in a dialogue with some local farmers, whose faces remained blank until an interpreter translated the phrase to mean “That’s just the ears of the hippopotamus.”

I'm not suprised lol, hippos do lie in the water with their ears above the water...that is funny...I have another one:

Jy krap met 'n kort stokkie aan 'n groot leeu se bal which translates as 'you are scratching the balls of a lion with a short stick'

The meaning is that you are arrogant and overreaching/pushing it
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Loislane
Quote by gypsymoth
Quote by Loislane
maggies vol-oogies toe

I'm not suprised lol, hippos do lie in the water with their ears above the water...that is funny...I have another one:

Jy krap met 'n kort stokkie aan 'n groot leeu se bal which translates as 'you are scratching the balls of a lion with a short stick'

The meaning is that you are arrogant and overreaching/pushing it

smiling sigh
Lurker
0 likes
"mad as a hatter"

Hatters found the best hats were made by treating the pig skin with mercury; it made the best kind of felt for a hat. Breathing the mercury vapors gave the hatter neurological damage including confused speech and distorted vision.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Across the ditch.
This idiom means on the other side of the Tasman Sea, used to refer to Australia or New Zealand depending on the speaker's location.

Tit for tat.
To give someone something equal to what was given you; to exchange a series of very similar things, one by one, with someone. They gave me the same kind of difficulty that I gave them. They gave me tit for tat. He punched me, so I punched him. Every time he hit me, I hit him. I just gave him tit for tat.

Away with the fairies
Means day dreaming

Bit of a dag
A person with a good sense of humour.
A dag is a bit of sheep shit that cligns the the wool around it's arse. xD

I could go on and on. :U
Lurker
0 likes
Hark! Give me isms over an idiom
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by adagio_sabadicus
Hark! Give me isms over an idiom

I prefer oxymorons such as fighting for peace, it's like fucking for virginity!