Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

What's your writing process for erotica? (shorts or longer works)

last reply
33 replies
3.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by avrgblkgrl
You guys make me feel extremely lazy. When it comes to my academic submissions, I'm all business and order. Everything has to be checked and rechecked. Then again, I'm generally working with the writings, ideas and thoughts of others combined with my own. But my poetry and my fiction, I'm sad to say that it is everywhere. I have an idea, a thought, an image, a phrase, and my mind just takes off. I may write notes here and there--which I generally can't find later. I live with it rolling around in my mind. Characters talk. Some things just don't go away. If I'm lucky and I get the time I can write it down. If I think that it is something that someone else might be able to decipher, I may write it to be shared. I could be so much more productive if I were more organized.

Writing erotica is freeing. It is so nice to not have to censor myself, infer intimacy and sprinkle things with innuendo. When I was in grad school I did a reading and a friend actually used the word "smut" as a description. Hurt me to my heart because I thought that it was the most unpretentious, honest piece I had ever wrote. And, people loved it. It changed things though. I drew a line between what I like to write and what I had to write right then. I'm still figuring out how to apply the same rules of organization to what I want to write.

I'm the same way. I usually have fragments of a story written out, and don't do anything with them. Then I'll go back to the fragments after I figure out a realistic story line to go with the fragments and go from there. My Roommates trilogy came out of several conversations I've had with a member on here and I wrote, rewrote, edited, trashed, proofread, had other people read it before I had them published.

www.szadvntures.com

Latest story:

• TBD

• Bump in the Night-Microfiction

• Smoke Break-Interracial

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Dirty_D
for me my process is similar short or long. The most important element is character development. If I cant get in my peoples heads, i might as well give up.

(Why couldn't I have just said this!)

xx Steph

Dirty_D: "Because you're not as good as me..."

Me: "I HATE YOU!!!!!!"

Dirty_D: "You do not... You LOVE me..."

Me: "I know..."

Dirty_D: "Any luck with an EP yet?"

Me: "Kiss my ass!"

Dirty_D: "That was you, hun... Ass Kisser."

Me: *GRRRRRRRR!*
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I use a kind of a mindmap method.
First, I outline the story on a high level - what will happen where, with whom, what kind of poses will be used. Then I get to it and write the elements in details.
Now comes the correction and re-read, and I even use English native editors as I'm not English native.
Then I publish.
Check out Office Sluts: The First Weeks at Smashwords!
0 likes
There's some great advice here from better writers than myself - this is how I try and work.

1. There has to be a situation and next, how the story will develop. Is there enough leeway to flex the story? Can I think of sufficient opportunites to throw in some twists and turns to keep people interested and reading. If it is a simple premise, it's a short story. I don't usually know if it's a longer story until I have written a couple of chapters

2. I think of a character - I like to think about who they are, how they think and react. They are the main character of the story and are they the right person in the right place at the right time? Then I want an antagonist - someone that bends this person out of shape. I want credibility and authenticity more than anything, they have to be believable and I really like characters that you like and dislike. After that, I think of the minor characters and the dynamics there.

3. I plan the story, sub chapters, start and end, they need to flow and set a good pace.

4. Write, I aim for about 3,000 to 6,000 words. I stick to the loose plan in 3. The longer the story is in terms of chapters, I realise that to keep people reading, belting out 8,000 words a chapter isn't going to work - so multi-part stories tend to have shorter chapters.

5. I let it fester for a while. Often, I think of nuances or improvements and I add them in, also take out stuff that is no good. I double check the pace, I'm sometimes too descriptive on scenes and the action doesn't get much of a look in.

6. Edit, edit, edit - I read it back slowly and it's this that I often lack enough discipline with so I publish too early. I recently had to retire three chapters of a whole story because I'd rushed through 1 to 5. I aim to cut about 1,000 words, often re-positioning the opening and ending.

7. To improve 6, I go back a couple of days later for the final quality control.