Who's your favourite Author?

last reply
11 replies
2.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm a bit of a beatnic at heart, and will go with Jack Kerouac.

Who is yours?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
This is as difficult as identifying a favourite book.

Almost impossible to say but if pushed I would say Jane Austen. She lived from 1775 to 1817 and her books are almost akin to videos of her contemporary life. She wrote only of things she knew and people she had met but the fascination for me is the snapshot they give of the real life of her times.

She had an acid wit and many of her characters can still be seen today. Wonderfully compelling for me.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I didn't realise she was so young when she died.

You are such a romantic at heart Susan

Her particular brand of romantic fiction specifically aimed at women turns me off totally though.

Do you like Barbara Cartland too? LOL
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by insomniac
You are such a romantic at heart Susan

Her particular brand of romantic fiction specifically aimed at women turns me off totally though.

Do you like Barbara Cartland too? LOL

I don't like Barbara Cartland one little bit.

I admit I'm romantic at heart, but then women tend to be, don't you think? I know men seems to like the warlike stories with blood and gore flowing freely. Just one of the many differences between the sexes isn't it?

When I was at Uni one of the saddest jokes I was ever told was where a girl says to her male lover after he had had his pleasures "Do you LOVE me?" To which he replied "Of course I love you, I fuck you don't I." The men in the party fell apart laughing but we females just looked at one another. Words between us were not necessary.

But, Insomniac, we still fight the odds and TRY to make men fit to live in a decent society

By the way - who is the author you mention and what does he write?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The Marquis de Sade
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by mrplow
The Marquis de Sade

What made me not terribly surprised LOL You avatar gives you away Mr Plow

I don't think I have read him. What titles do you suggest reading and where does one find them?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by SusanEngland
Quote by mrplow
The Marquis de Sade

What made me not terribly surprised LOL You avatar gives you away Mr Plow

I don't think I have read him. What titles do you suggest reading and where does one find them?

Check out 120 days of Sodom. I'm surprised you haven't read any of his work - mind you, it's a bit rough for most people's taste's so be warned!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Germaine Greer.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sexmachine
Germaine Greer.

A powerful Lady !!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Michael Crichton. Hard to pick a favourite book though. Perhaps Timeline.
Lurker
0 likes
Favorite? Wow. So many to choose from, so little time to decide...heh heh.

I have always liked the late Louis La Amour, though Shakespeare has also been a favorite of mine too. In a lot of ways, they are very much alike. Romance, excitement, drama, and a host of other things grown together to make interesting reading.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Fyodor Dostoevsky. How someone can emerge from a prison camp in Siberia to create such psychologically insightful and humorous classics is beyond me.