Favourite Fashion Era

last reply
54 replies
6.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I am wondering what other people's favourite fashion era is. I love the Christian Dior New Look of the forties -- big skirts, shawl collars, intensely feminine....
Lurker
0 likes
Nice Thread!

I've often thought I was born out-of-time as it were... I have a real penchant for the fashions of the 1930s-40s. For men, those generously-cut suits, usually teamed with flowing overcoat and fedora hat and scarf of course, are still the epitome of male style for me. For women, those below-the-knee skirts and dresses always seemed to hint at treasures underneath, and treasures they were indeed. Those French-cut panties, invariably matched by stockings and garters, the inevitable slip or chemise, hats and hairstyles, pearls, diamante brooches and those cute little bags and shoes!... (Sigh!)

I have in the past had the incredible good fortune to date two women who modelled their look on 40s fashions, (one of whom I met at a Swing-Dancing club!) and the classiness of that look still appeals to me.

The trick to incorporating classic influences from a by-gone era in a contemporary setting is to mix-and-match the past with the present. Ms. Dita Von Teese, (even in 'civillian' dress!) does this perfectly, and the singer Harry Connick Jr, while always looking sexy and stylish, always looks to me as if he should REALLY be in Black-And-White, like in an old movie.

Thank you for this thread!

xx SF
Lurker
0 likes
40s 80s. The 20s drop waist not for me The 90s are vague.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by NickiC
40s 80s. The 20s drop waist not for me The 90s are vague.

Nicki, the 90s are vague because you were drunk for most of it, Dear... (I hear stories...) LAUGHS!

xx Steph
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
The 60's... there's so much to choose from that I like from both the early and latter part of the decade - the oversized sunglasses, ballet flats and cigarette pants, off-the-shoulder, baby-dolls, short shorts, tie-dye, hippie-chic/boho, Pucci prints, cool boots, Hepburn and Bardot. There was that little revival that I got to live through in the mid 2000's where Kate Moss and Sienna Miller were the boho IT girls of fashion and I was all over it. Love that style - takes me right back to first year uni. I still try to incorporate some updated (but subtle) vintage touches and influences where I can, and nothing wrong with festival-chic when the occasion calls for it, but I've mostly reined it in.
The Linebacker
0 likes
I don't know if I truly have a favorite fashion era. I do love the stylish cars with the two color tones and all the chrome of the 1950s and even the cars into the early 60s. I know that there was a period in the 1950s that men wore very creative and colorful wider ties that look cool. But then I like that simple clean like look of the men's suits with skinny dark ties and white shirts of the 1960s. But I don't think the short hairsprayed hairstyles on the women was very sexy. Some of the ladies clothes of that period was sexy though.

Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
I love the fashion of the 70's that were soooo sexy! Halston, Diane von Furstenberg .... for women ... those styles suit my body shape.

The sleek dresses, the monochrome colouring ... American Hustle says it best.

For men ... well, I'm a sucker for men in suits. Don Draper .... so that's the 60's. Men looked like men ... and fuck, sooo sexy!!

The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by VanGogh
I love the fashion of the 70's that were soooo sexy! Halston, Diane von Furstenberg .... for women ... those styles suit my body shape.

The sleek dresses, the monochrome colouring ... American Hustle says it best.

For men ... well, I'm a sucker for men in suits. Don Draper .... so that's the 60's. Men looked like men ... and fuck, sooo sexy!!

Superb examples! I've always been a sucker for a hottie in a low plunging top or dress. grrrrrrrrrr......!!!

The 60s was a great era for men's suit fashion. President John F. Kennedy always looked especially professional and sharp and it added to his mystique.

A well made properly fitted suit with a crisp white shirt and the right tie, sure goes a long way in the world of business. If you look professional you'll probably be taken seriously.

I was in a meeting the other day and some guy was wearing one of those 'high fashion' PeeWee Herman tight suits with the
high water' slacks and white socks (white socks?). He looked like a clown and because of that, no one took anything he said seriously.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by VanGogh

agree!
Lurker
0 likes
As it goes for women, it is definitely 50s. I absolutely love those simple cut skirts and dresses. They bring out of women's extraordinary power (even though they didn't have it so much back then), hidden sexiness, sophistication and grace that is sadly missed in this era. I wish I could dress like that. I would feel so comfortable in those, with different shoes that is.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
For womens', I'd choose the 70s.

For mens', I'd choose the 60s.
{allba115-feed-5eed-facedeadbeef}
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I kinda like the '70's, but I think the best would be pre serpent in Eden.
Chuckanator
0 likes
For me it is the forties. The pinstripe suits and hats. However I didn't like the obsession with cigarettes. Liked the big cars and fast women.
Lurker
0 likes
70's and 80's maybe for women.

And 50's maybe.

For men, no clue.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quite frankly, our current modern era would be my choice.

Essentially, any stylish clothes/accessories from past eras are still generally considered fashionable, and anybody can wear them anyway if they want to. Plus, there's a lot less 'conformism' in the way people choose to dress themselves today. It's fun to look back at some bygone trends and appreciate the styles, but when you consider that these people were giving strange looks to anyone who didn't fit perfectly into the established mold, it takes away a lot of the appeal.

Nowadays, you can be stylish, elegant, trendy, extravagant, rebellious or slutty, and it's all good to a certain extent; there are still people who are completely out of style though (as I expressed exhaustively in another thread).

Just don't take away my jeans, my graphic tees and my Converses.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

Nicki, the 90s are vague because you were drunk for most of it, Dear... (I hear stories...) LAUGHS!

xx Steph

You are evil and the Irish men who saw me passed out in shoulder pads lied. Frosted hair is making a come back. Guiness yep a steak in a can. It is a meal.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
This is thin ice for me here, I trust on the taste of my babes else I am a bit lost in this subject.
Lurker
0 likes
I have been fascinated by all the responses to this and the varieties of taste that we women (and some men) have. And, Scifihealer, don't be too upset that you are lost in this subject -- you're a man, you're not normally meant to understand it! Whoops, didn't that sound sexist of me... sorry....
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I like the fashion now personally. I just wish I had more opportunity to wear a suit when I go out but if I did I'd just look out of place.
Lurker
0 likes
In reality the 80s were a quiet horror. The 60s were interesting. But I think women were beautiful in the 40s and 20s. But I think we are all wearing the same clothes since 20 years ago.
Lurker
0 likes
The 50's and 60's poodle skirts and mini skirts
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
got to be the 60s before pantyhose
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Mancman2010
I like the fashion now personally. I just wish I had more opportunity to wear a suit when I go out but if I did I'd just look out of place.

Yesterday I went to a christening. I dressed up nicely, as did most of the women there, but I was depressed by how scruffy and ill-kempt most of the men were. They looked in many ways like little boys who had just come out of the sandbox!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by JacquieJ

Yesterday I went to a christening. I dressed up nicely, as did most of the women there, but I was depressed by how scruffy and ill-kempt most of the men were. They looked in many ways like little boys who had just come out of the sandbox!

I totally agree. I've been to several formal functions this year and couldn't believe how many guys felt that jeans, t shirts and trainers were acceptable dress code.

I love the sandbox analogy ;-) Some of the guys wouldn't look out of place sliding across the dance floor on their knees like the kids as well - lol!

I went on a cruise very recently and even where the cruise company stated formal wear guys were walking into the dining room in jeans and t shirts whilst their wives/partners were dressed on full evening wear!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

Just don't take away my jeans.

That's on my bucket list.OIVPz9FkQ9vCqXaI
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Buz

Superb examples! I've always been a sucker for a hottie in a low plunging top or dress. grrrrrrrrrr......!!!

The 60s was a great era for men's suit fashion. President John F. Kennedy always looked especially professional and sharp and it added to his mystique.

A well made properly fitted suit with a crisp white shirt and the right tie, sure goes a long way in the world of business. If you look professional you'll probably be taken seriously.

I was in a meeting the other day and some guy was wearing one of those 'high fashion' PeeWee Herman tight suits with the
high water' slacks and white socks (white socks?). He looked like a clown and because of that, no one took anything he said seriously.

Hate to disagree Buz, but I was around then. The 70's and 80's was so much better, at least in Europe.
Valentino, Versace, Armani et al, brought out their men's ranges. The suits were fantastic, the cut, the style the fabrics... they were wonderful. In the US you had Ellis, Klein and Lauren doing the same.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Mancman2010

I totally agree. I've been to several formal functions this year and couldn't believe how many guys felt that jeans, t shirts and trainers were acceptable dress code.

I love the sandbox analogy ;-) Some of the guys wouldn't look out of place sliding across the dance floor on their knees like the kids as well - lol!

I went on a cruise very recently and even where the cruise company stated formal wear guys were walking into the dining room in jeans and t shirts whilst their wives/partners were dressed on full evening wear!

The big problem is that their jeans, t-shirt and trainers probably cost a lot more than the girl's evening wear.
I agree there's a time and place for different clothes but designers and manufacturers don't help. It also has a lot to do with how you have to dress for work. If you have to dress formally, suit and tie, that becomes work wear and you don't relax.
Personally, I think you'd look great in a suit, birthday of course, lol.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by dpw

The big problem is that their jeans, t-shirt and trainers probably cost a lot more than the girl's evening wear.
I agree there's a time and place for different clothes but designers and manufacturers don't help. It also has a lot to do with how you have to dress for work. If you have to dress formally, suit and tie, that becomes work wear and you don't relax.
Personally, I think you'd look great in a suit, birthday of course, lol.

I do have to wear suits for work but I must admit though I do tend to keep the two sets of suits and shirts etc separate. Hence I don't wear a work suit to a social occasion.

As for my birthday suit......
Lurker
0 likes
The 60's