Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Timeline Information. Is it too much information?

last reply
45 replies
3.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Mazztastic
0 likes
Quote by Poppet
I have been on Lush for over a year now, I also have over 100 stories and one thing I have learned is, you’re never going to make everyone happy. People who are going to get bent out of shape over a three, two or one, needs to just relax.

Yes, we as authors bust our humps to do well writing and to get a low score sucks. But you know what? Oh well. They just have poor taste in writing. Get over it. Does it matter what they think? The more people read it, the score will go back up to five, eventually. As long as people keep scoring.

I just got a two the other day on one of my stories, it had a perfect five. Now it doesn’t, guess what? I don’t care. Why? Because 45 other people thought it was 5 worthy.

People just need to relax. If it is the same butthole who keeps down-scoring, block them! Also, Lush mods do pretty good at staying on top of jerks who down-score too much.

And, I’m with the others, I like knowing who has scored, so I can thank them. So, suck it up, buttercup. Focus on those who DO like your stories.

This!!!

As a matter of interest, I only do the "Thank you" thing if they leave a comment - if they simply score, I let them be, or if they're on my friends' list, I might IM them if I see them around...

What IS the etiquette for thank yous? (maybe I should start a thread)

Quote by pandadreams
Everyone seems happy with timelines, but the issue seems to be with scoring, the loss of anonymity and it's knock-on effects.

How about, not showing scores until at least 5 are in? You can see if someone scored you, but you wouldn't know who had awarded what. This retains the anonymity of scores, and as no scores are initially shown, maybe there's less incentive to "jump on a bandwagon" - be that a positive or negative one.

And this is also a good idea...

It's simply unrealistic to expect perfect 5s and someone voting you down is (to me) similar to someone jumping in front of you in the queue at the store, or stealing your parking space, or not holding the door open for you, or gossiping about you... Is it rude? Damned right!! Is it a travesty? No, not at all and while it might grind your gears a bit at the time, it really does show them to be an ass...

But it's up to you how you react to it.

If someone doesn't think my story merits a five, then they can choose to vote whatever the hell they want to, if they vote a story down because it was written by me, or they didn't read the tags, or maybe they don't like a friendship of mine, or someone has offended them in a thread or something, then I think that's a really dickish thing to do, but hey... that's just life.

This is the internet, not real life and if we find ourselves getting worked up by the actions of people who aren't worth a second thought, then perhaps it's time to step away from the computer and have a time out...
Purveyor of Sweetness
0 likes
there is no good answer to this because some people are going to be jerks, some will be babies, and some will always behave with class. (hopefully jerky is the one i will never be. although i may be a baby sometimes). i am glad i am not making the decisions about what happens on the timelines.

hail, matriarch nicola! we are glad you are here.
Testing The Waters.
0 likes
As I said in the Improvements thread on another subject: where there are scores, there will be drama.

No matter what you do, there are going to be people who are overly sensitive about their scores, and some of them are going to engage in retaliatory asshattery. The more difficult it is to discover exactly who is responsible for "insulting" them with a 4 vote, the more likely they are to guess, make assumptions, and carpet bomb to make sure they get the evil-doer responsible.

The way I see it, if this is causing problems between friends, then what kind of "friends" were they in the first place? They're probably doing you a favor by showing you who they really are before they do something much more tangible and painful than 4-voting you because you didn't think something of theirs deserved to be on the New York Times best seller list, followed by enshrinement in the Library of Congress.

And if it results in the first person who was retaliated against retaliating in return, that's simply weeding out the people you probably don't want to associate with even faster.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Ok I'll weigh in on this one (and please remember this is My opinion, yours may vary)

I think that people need to remember that votes and comments are only one person's view and that if you get 6 scores of 5 and then one person gives you a three (as happened with a recent story of Mine) that the story may not of appealed to that one person for some reason. It doesn't mean it's a bad story, it means that not everyone is a fan of the same thing.

Rather than singling out one particular score, think in terms of your average. If you have an average score of 4.75 or so, you are doing good. If you have a score of 3.something, you have work to do and you need to listen to the comments your readers and the Mods give you.

Also bear in mind that none of us are a Lewis Carroll, Mark Twain, or Stephen King. We are all a bunch of struggling, amateur authors trying to write down our fantasies and dreams and hoping that someone else finds them interesting (no offense to anyone intended).

So don't fret the individual scores, concentrate on the average score, and just enjoy living out your fantasies through your writing and/or reading others.

Remember folks, Lush is FUN!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by pandadreams
Everyone seems happy with timelines, but the issue seems to be with scoring, the loss of anonymity and it's knock-on effects.

How about, not showing scores until at least 5 are in? You can see if someone scored you, but you wouldn't know who had awarded what. This retains the anonymity of scores, and as no scores are initially shown, maybe there's less incentive to "jump on a bandwagon" - be that a positive or negative one.

That's actually less likely to be effective: when a story gets published you get a slew of 5s off your friends all at once - anything lower than a 5 is usually lost amongst them. When scores start coming in at less than one a day then it's much easier to work out who "3-bombed" you.

This idea would also hit new writers or those who don't engage in the social aspects of this site - most of whom don't get five or more scores on their stories.
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Story Verifier
0 likes
Quote by MasterJonathan
Ok I'll weigh in on this one (and please remember this is My opinion, yours may vary)

I think that people need to remember that votes and comments are only one person's view and that if you get 6 scores of 5 and then one person gives you a three (as happened with a recent story of Mine) that the story may not of appealed to that one person for some reason. It doesn't mean it's a bad story, it means that not everyone is a fan of the same thing.

I'll jump onto the wagon here because I need to let off some steam. Although it shouldn't matter that much, seeing a 1 scored on a story that had so far received seven 5s felt a bit like a slap in the face. Thanks to the timeline (no, I'm not sure this is a good thing) I'm also 99% sure who voted like that, and the person in question doesn't appear to be in the vengeful downvoter corner, rather the opposite. So it's probably been a mistake, but 99% is still lacking that one percent to risk asking them about it, because if I'm wrong I'll only start unnecessary drama. And I hate drama, unless it's inside a story smile

Quote by MasterJonathan
Rather than singling out one particular score, think in terms of your average. If you have an average score of 4.75 or so, you are doing good. If you have a score of 3.something, you have work to do and you need to listen to the comments your readers and the Mods give you.

Also bear in mind that none of us are a Lewis Carroll, Mark Twain, or Stephen King. We are all a bunch of struggling, amateur authors trying to write down our fantasies and dreams and hoping that someone else finds them interesting (no offense to anyone intended).

So don't fret the individual scores, concentrate on the average score, and just enjoy living out your fantasies through your writing and/or reading others.

Remember folks, Lush is FUN!!

And now that I've cooled down, I'll add: don't give too much about scores, because people might be distracted while they score, their cat may run across the keyboard, they might not hit the right row on their tiny touchscreen, or they may simply trying to do more things at once than they can manage.

*bites her lip* Though I might at one point write a story about a lush reader who downvotes a story but gets her bum shaded in an appealing crimson hue after she blabs about it to her roommate, who, as it turns out, happens to be the author of the story in question. Yes, now that I think about it, I'll definitely do that *sniggers manciacally*
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
I had a 2 voted the other day on a story that just received an EP and had otherwise had 45 4 & 5's.

I thought it odd, but seriously, maybe they just didn't like it. I never did bother to search down my time line to find the 'culprit' either.

Turns out the vote was removed today and my guess was it was someone on the phone who had the screen jump just as they hit the button. I've almost done the same thing myself many times.

The point is, we cannot freak out and get upset as soon as a low score is logged. Sometimes it is a mistake. Others it's just they didn't like it as much as others. It is hard to see your precious effort judged harshly, but we invite that as soon as we hit 'submit'

Oh, and if you do accidentally mis-vote as I have almost done, send notice through the contact the site link and let them know. That way you don't have to worry about being blamed for something you didn't mean to do.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Chrissie don't get Me wrong - when I see a story of Mine getting all fives and then someone votes it a three simply because they don't understand The Life, it bugs Me too. Or when they vote it down because I use Me and Mine (capitalizing the word) I get a little upset too. But there isn't much I can do about the way other people think so I just look at the overall score average and satisfy Myself with the knowledge that most of My readers enjoy My stories.

Your idea for a new story about a Lush member (fictitious I hope!) that votes down a story then gets called on it sounds great! I'm all for a good bum warming! Just make sure they get a GOOD crimson derriere! If you're gonna spank, spank like you mean it!
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
Quote by Milik_Redman
I had a 2 voted the other day on a story that just received an EP and had otherwise had 45 4 & 5's.

It was me, I plan to give you a two on all your stories. I have that much time on my hands.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by Milik_Redman

I wouldn't take it personally, someone in Salt Lake City didn't like your story.

Maybe too long for them, or too many words with more than 2 syllables?

There are many reasons I vote a story a 1 or 2, sometimes it's because of the letter their name starts with.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by nicola

I wouldn't take it personally, someone in Salt Lake City didn't like your story.

Maybe too long for them, or too many words with more than 2 syllables?

There are many reasons I vote a story a 1 or 2, sometimes it's because of the letter their name starts with.

Someone in Salt Lake? Lol, I should take that as a compliment! I've never been a 'Piller of the community' type guy
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by Poppet

It was me, I plan to give you a two on all your stories. I have that much time on my hands.

Little minx
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
Quote by Milik_Redman
Little minx

Keep talking dirty to me, see what it gets you. ;)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by LauraLee_sugah
there is no good answer to this because some people are going to be jerks, some will be babies, and some will always behave with class. (hopefully jerky is the one i will never be. although i may be a baby sometimes). i am glad i am not making the decisions about what happens on the timelines.

hail, matriarch nicola! we are glad you are here.

i agree with so many of the comments, it is sad if you can figure out a 3 or 4 because of your timeline...but oh well. Like Poppet said, just deal with it. smile
my newest :)
Lurker
0 likes
THIS happened to me a couple of weeks ago while scoring a story from my phone. I nudged the screen as i hit send, and it rolled back to a score of 4 instead of the 5 I intended. I contacted Lush and the problem was fixed by the Divine Ms N that day.

Quote by ChrissieLecker

And now that I've cooled down, I'll add: don't give too much about scores, because people might be distracted while they score, their cat may run across the keyboard, they might not hit the right row on their tiny touchscreen, or they may simply trying to do more things at once than they can manage.

*bites her lip* Though I might at one point write a story about a lush reader who downvotes a story but gets her bum shaded in an appealing crimson hue after she blabs about it to her roommate, who, as it turns out, happens to be the author of the story in question. Yes, now that I think about it, I'll definitely do that *sniggers manciacally*
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Personally I like the timeline. It gives me an opportunity to see who is scoring, commenting and started following me. It gives me a chance to read their profiles. I feel that gives me some insight on who is reading my stories and possibly where I should be leaning toward in my writing. I have changed plots in the middle of stories based on the profiles of those who commented or started following me.
...I thought that maybe a new life, a different life, wouldn’t be so bad. But where the hell did I put the receipt, and could you return something that was over twenty years old? Where do you go to get a new life when your old one has you so puzzled you don’t know how to fix it? Wish I knew.
-Anita Blake (Laurell K. Hamilton)