Happy 50th Birthday Lego

last reply
6 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Did you read that LEGO says there is about 37 blocks per ever person on the face of the Earth?
And what people build is Fantasic. Like your pics Lush
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by Batman
Did you read that LEGO says there is about 37 blocks per ever person on the face of the Earth?
And what people build is Fantaic. Like your pics Lush

I didn't know that. Everyone I knew had lego growing up as a child. It's very expensive these days I bought some for a young relative the other day.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
my grandad thinks it's been around longer than that.
he still has some from when he was about 10
(he's in his 80s)
*~*xX/ ;) i'm not joking/Xx*~*
Lurker
0 likes
The Lego, invented by a Danish toy manufacturer, turned 50 last week. Here are some highlights from the history of this popular interlocking brick:

March 10, 1962: After four years of lagging sales, one of the designers has the idea to add a second color to the set.

May 15, 1965: Lego scientists create a momentary tear in space-time by building a giant Lego brick out of Lego bricks.

Aug. 24, 1968: Following a long and difficult struggle, Legoland's constitution is ratified.

June 6, 1971: Lego care package is sent to brother in Vietnam.

Oct. 19, 1974: The first Lego human minifigure journeys through the human digestive system.

June 23, 1989: CEO of Megablox accidentally refers to own product as "Legos."

Jan. 21, 1998: Story rights for blue, red, and green Lego bricks optioned by Dreamworks.

Dec. 9, 2007: The company estimates that there are more than 2 billion Legos on the floor of living rooms around the world that need to be picked up.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Well, us old buggers had Meccano sets, which were much more solid than Lego is.
Though it was more a boy's toy, some of us tomboys had one. With 7 brothers it was impossible to not have lots of constructiony things around the place!
I still have the Lego stuff my 3 boys used for years - Lego & dinosaur models, and few 'Transformers'.
Lego was definitely not as fiddly as Meccano, but nowhere near as useful or educational.
Lurker
0 likes
I grew up with Lego's and had a large collection of them. When I had kids, the collection grew until now my two grandsons have a great time with the huge old tub of Lego's when they visit nana and poppa. I still mess around with them too, once in a while. Kind of fun, even for an ol man like me.