last reply
145 replies
12.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Metropolis – 1927 Silent, German Expressionism

Blade Runner – 1982 American sci-fi action thriller film, directed by Ridley Scott based on the book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick.

Deckard: [narrating in Blade Runner] I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life; my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Brazil – 1985 English – directed and written by Terry Gilliam. The tone of this movie is surreal.
Lurker
0 likes
The only good ones I can think of are Metropolis (Not that entertaining but interesting from a film students POV) The Matrix, and Alien.... not a big fan of Sci Fi.... The Fly is pretty good too actually
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by MMonroe
The only good ones I can think of are Metropolis (Not that entertaining but interesting from a film students POV) The Matrix, and Alien.... not a big fan of Sci Fi.... The Fly is pretty good too actually

I forgot about 1985 version of the Fly with Jeff Goldblum. Excellent
Lurker
0 likes
Star Wars would be considered Sci-Fi, no? I nominate the last three (original 3) films of that series, giving Empire Strikes Back the edge over the other two.

Otherwise, I'm partial to Donnie Darko, and for the third, Grindhouse.
Lurker
0 likes
I've been a SciFi fan for a long time. I even took a class in HS on it.
I liked the first The Fly from 1958. Goldblum's wasn't bad, just a bit more gross.
Alien series, The first Matrix, Them, I could go on and on.
Forum Whore
0 likes
Star Trek: First Contact
Star Wars IV
Star Wars VI

Yay Sci-fi!!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Lady_Lydia
Star Trek: First Contact
Star Wars IV
Star Wars VI

Yay Sci-fi!!

i have to agree with you there .. i think i've seen them all lol
and first contact is probably my favorite out of the lot
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
1. The original Star Wars

2. Pitch black

3. Chronicles of Ridic

if it were TV shows I would have to say

1. star track
2. planet of the apes
3. lost in space

Behind every strong soldier there is even a stronger woman who raised him " Proud Army Mom"
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Wait, no one has mentioned Kubrick or Tarkovsky yet??
Hmm, I will then.

Fave ones:
1. 2001: A space odyssey (by Stanley Kubrick)
2. Solyaris (by Andrei Tarkovsky)
3. Moon (by Duncan Jones, son of David Bowie)

There's many more but the first 2 are indisputable classics and the 3rd one is a new scifi from last year with an excellent performance by Sam Rockwell.
Of course none of these movies is fast paced or packed with action but rather slow, beautiful and thought provoking scifi movies.
Insert typical super smart ass comment courtesy of thepainter here.
Lurker
0 likes
Star Wars all of them except for the new ones all the Star Trek movies Predator
Lurker
0 likes
Only three *freaks out*..Okay if I have to...

Star Wars Empire Strikes back
Serenity
Fifth Element
Lurker
0 likes
This is hard because I already love the ones that have already been listed, oldies and newbies. Shame it is only 3 because I would of have added movies such as transformers and Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy (yes i'm cheating ). So here is my top 3

1. District 9

2. X-MEN series

3. Star Trek (2009) Never watched star trek prior to this movie.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Star Wars, I like all of them. Screw all the haters.

Dune- Interesting Film, not as good as the book (but then films generally aren't).

Stargate- started off the longest running Sci-Fi series ever. Very underated film
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Alien
Armaggedon
Colossus, the Forbin project
Lurker
0 likes
Okay, I screwed up, these aren't SF, I guess. I was thinking scariest, regardless if it's SF or just scary. Sorry, now I'll just sulk off.... but I'll leave them anyway.

The Wizard of Oz. (Seriously, the scariest move of all time. Man why did they mess with a little kid's head like that, making her think her doggie would be taken away? Sheesh!!!!)

Cat People.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_People_%281942_film%29

The Exorcist. Just typing the name makes me wonder if I'll be able to sleep tonight. Holy crap, why did they mess with a little kid's head like that!
Lurker
0 likes
imho ....

1. Bladerunner (ah, Harrison Ford .... and a flipping Darryl Hannah - loved the eyeballs in the beaker!)
2. Minority Report (surprise - Tom Cruise did it well - for a change)
3. V for Vendetta (don't know why exactly - but it just did it for me!)

of course, on the list is the Matrix and the Watchmen.
Lurker
0 likes
1. 2001
2. Bladerunner
3. Johnny Mnemonic

Runners up would be: Strange Days, the latest Terminator, 20th Century Boys, Watchmen, Iron Man.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by VanGogh

imho ....

1. Bladerunner (ah, Harrison Ford .... and a flipping Darryl Hannah - loved the eyeballs in the beaker!)
2. Minority Report (surprise - Tom Cruise did it well - for a change)

You got a thing for eyeballs, don'tcha Van?

Incidentally...The Forbin Project was a killer 1960's flick - rare indeed.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
So very, very hard to pick just three, but....
1. Alien
2. Predator
3. The Matrix

oh darn, so many others I like.....
"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
Lurker
0 likes
The Matrix
Blade Runner
Serenity
Lurker
0 likes
1. Back to the Future
2. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
3. Robocop
Lurker
0 likes
mmm I have alot.
1. Doom
2. Aliens
3. Predators
Lurker
0 likes
a lot
I like some classics, like; Forbidden Planet
I like some of the more recent ones, like Chronicles of Riddick
the original Planet of the Apes
Lurker
0 likes
Alien
Blade Runner
Starship Troopers
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Star Wars (Pick one, except episode 1)
Matrix (The first one)
Pandora
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
1 SIGN 2 CONTACT 3 STA WARS
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have been a sci fi reader and fan since the mid 50's so I have a lot of favourites but the thought provoking ones that have not yet been mentioned I can think of are , The Day The Earth Stood Still, Silent Running and Enemy Mine.