Time Machine

last reply
40 replies
5.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I was just cleaning out my attic, and found this old time machine, and was wondering which year I should go to. If you could go to any year (or decade) which would it be? And why?
Lurker
0 likes
The Elizebethan era (1558–1603) ...the time of William Shakespeare ,Queen Elizabeth....I'd go to her court and just observe the courtiers and her in all their finery or go to the opening of 'Romeo and Juliet' at the Globe theatre or take a barge down the Thames or go to a masked ball...and establish if Queen Elizabeth was really a virgin...
Lurker
0 likes
For a little while not too far back to be with my parents again.

But then to Medieval times to see my knight in shining armor.
And def to the future to see if we fix it here or continue to Implode our country as I fear we will.
Lurker
0 likes
That's easy for me back before the American revolution I would love to see what the country looked like when it was still young and untouched.
Lurker
0 likes
8 November, 1939 - I would not let Hitler leave the beer hall before the bomb went off.

It might have been too late already by that time, but maybe not.
Lurker
0 likes

You'd let Ginny play at the organ and love it.

Check out the flying cops on the office.

My favorite time was before I was born: the 1950s. It was when men were men and women were women and you could mow the lawn and enjoy some beer with your neighbors afterwards. When you got a check it didn't bounce and people in town knew you by name. Kids stayed outside while parents watched something new called "television". There was an annual family vacation and you knew your job was for life. No one ever heard of "part time". You worried about the North Koreans and this mysterious Atomic Energy, while you watched one of three network news shows. Then you shared beer with your wife on the polyester couch the rest of the night, every night, and the kids came inside to bathe and go to bed. It's a family ritual that's disappeared.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
A lot of people want to change things, not me, I'm selfish, what can I say?
I'm going to 1935, tying Ginger Rogers up in her dressing room, and I'm dancing "Cheek To Cheek" with Fred Astaire....either that or 1965 and getting a young Mick Jagger.....
"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere." - Groucho Marx
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I would want to go back to the medieval period so I could be a bounty hunter. Either that or FORWARD in time so I could be an interstellar bounty hunter like Boba Fett lol.
I would never build a time machine with the hopes of actually changing something because that would create a paradox in which that thing would find a way of happening anyway.
I could go into it but peoples heads would explode.
Even when you're blindfolded, Hindsite is 20/20
0 likes
I'm another one who'd go back to medieval times. I see that era with knights and ladies as being romantic, but I'm sure the reality would be some pretty tough living.
Lurker
0 likes
The 40s and 50s.

Just love the music, the style, fashions and cars of the time
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Loislane
The Elizebethan era (1558–1603) ...the time of William Shakespeare ,Queen Elizabeth....I'd go to her court and just observe the courtiers and her in all their finery or go to the opening of 'Romeo and Juliet' at the Globe theatre or take a barge down the Thames or go to a masked ball...and establish if Queen Elizabeth was really a virgin...

Would love to go back to that time.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I know it's not that long ago, but I think I would like to go back to the 60s and 70s. Otherwise I would want to go back to the early 1900s and meet Alice Paul, and join in on her campaigns.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Blindfolded
I would want to go back to the medieval period so I could be a bounty hunter. Either that or FORWARD in time so I could be an interstellar bounty hunter like Boba Fett lol.
I would never build a time machine with the hopes of actually changing something because that would create a paradox in which that thing would find a way of happening anyway.

whahahahahaha like sci-fi much....no time travel must be done by observing only....I'd like a Tardis so I could fly to other planets and in time and space and shag Dr who(David Tenant )
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'd like to go back to 15 minutes before I met my ex-wife (1992) and change my mind about going to that party. Probably the worst thing to have ever happened in my life was meeting her.
"I can resist everything except temptation." - Oscar Wilde
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Lisa
I'm another one who'd go back to medieval times. I see that era with knights and ladies as being romantic, but I'm sure the reality would be some pretty tough living.

Fear not milady, Chivalry flies on nobel wings,
and I am romances servant.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Okay, seriously you can never ever change anything during time travel.
Think about it. I'll use Wicked's remark about his wife for an example.
Wicked wants to prevent his past self from meeting his ex wife, so he says "Dammit I'm a super awesome engineer/scientist/physicist and surely Time travel can't be that hard. I'll build a time machine and go back and stop myself from going to that party." (All of this said in a hoity toity british accent for some reason.)
So he builds it, goes back and stops himself from going to that party. Mission accomplished right?
Wrong.
He goes out for coffee the next day and meets her, either that or he goes somewhere and meets her because he has to.
In order for his future self to want to build the time machine in order to go back in time and stop his past self from meeting his ex wife he has to meet his ex wife or else there is no motive for his future self to ever conceive the time machine.
God I hope that peoples heads didn't explode. I warned people I did.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Personaly I would like to go back to the viking era more to hear a good saga spoken by a true skald in the old norse tounge. also if you beleve the films, I do, viking women were all 6 foot tall, blond warrior maidens in skimpy armour with a cleavage you could ski down.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Loislane
Quote by Blindfolded

whahahahahaha like sci-fi much....no time travel must be done by observing only....I'd like a Tardis so I could fly to other planets and in time and space and shag Dr who(Christopher Eccleston)

I fixed that for you...
"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere." - Groucho Marx
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
i would LOVE to go back to the elizabethan era...its sounds so romantic and beautiful...but i'd want the GOOD romantic side of it and NOT the side where the era was founded on the exploitation of women...

would I marry someone guy thats 40 yrs older than me because it'll advance MY family???

the answer is hell NO.
i would not make myself unhappy for the rest of MY life just so my FAMILY can advance with titles...i dont get shit

i would be the type of wife to kill their husbands...because thats the only way women got to own ANYTHING...

so....maybe i would go back to the guy who thought up this brilliant thing called SLAVERY and beat the living SHIT outta him...for a few decades....
asshole....
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Blindfolded
Wicked wants to prevent his past self from meeting his ex wife, so he says "Dammit I'm a super awesome engineer/scientist/physicist and surely Time travel can't be that hard. I'll build a time machine and go back and stop myself from going to that party." (All of this said in a hoity toity british accent for some reason.)
So he builds it, goes back and stops himself from going to that party. Mission accomplished right?
Wrong.
He goes out for coffee the next day and meets her, either that or he goes somewhere and meets her because he has to.
In order for his future self to want to build the time machine in order to go back in time and stop his past self from meeting his ex wife he has to meet his ex wife or else there is no motive for his future self to ever conceive the time machine.

Maybe. That view assumes a sort of fatalist approach, rather than time as a choose-your-own-adventure novel. Another position is that time could play out differently if it happens again. He doesn't meet the bitch. He never builds the time machine because he doesn't need to get away from the bitch. Time take two is completely different from time take one. He doesn't need to stop himself from meeting her again, he already did stop himself from meeting her.

People tend to analogise time as a river that always ends up in the same place. Think, instead, of time as a fishing line. (Warning: Horrible analogy alert.) The line is cast - he meets her. The line is reeled in and recast - he avoids her. The line is NOT going to end up in the same place the second time as it did the first time. No reason to expect that it would. No matter how often you recast that line it will never take the same trajectory.

And I don't even like fishing.
Lurker
0 likes
You can't avoid her, if you recast a second time because you have no memory of her at that point in time. She's still a "new" woman.
0 likes
Quote by Blindfolded
Quote by Lisa

Sir, you are a true gentleman.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Durrasch
Quote by Blindfolded
Wrong.

Maybe. That view assumes a sort of fatalist approach, rather than time as a choose-your-own-adventure novel. Another position is that time could play out differently if it happens again. He doesn't meet the bitch. He never builds the time machine because he doesn't need to get away from the bitch. Time take two is completely different from time take one. He doesn't need to stop himself from meeting her again, he already did stop himself from meeting her.

People tend to analogise time as a river that always ends up in the same place. Think, instead, of time as a fishing line. (Warning: Horrible analogy alert.) The line is cast - he meets her. The line is reeled in and recast - he avoids her. The line is NOT going to end up in the same place the second time as it did the first time. No reason to expect that it would. No matter how often you recast that line it will never take the same trajectory.

And I don't even like fishing.

not a bad analogy actually. Time IS relative, and if it played out as an alternate universe, how would people in take 1 account for him missing? Amelia Aerhart anyone? lol
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Lisa
Quote by Blindfolded
Quote by Lisa

Sir, you are a true gentleman.

And a cursed hopeless romantic. The Notebook still makes me cry lol
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Lisa

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Well I'm a huge Lord of the Rings fan. And J.R.R Tolkien believed that middle earth was what the world used to be. So I would definitely go back that to that time and be part of all the major events such as the battle at Helms Deep, Minas Tirith, Moria, the Black Gate, etc. I always dreamed of being immersed in a world like that.
Forget who you thought I was, I'm The Chris J bitch!
Lush Legend
0 likes
The Notebook is one of my favorites.....lol

I would like to go to the 1920's ....the Roaring 20s and jazz really appeals to me.....would love to dress up like a flapper and be part of the prohibition or at least part of them smuggling alcohol around and watching the Chicago mob in action.....although I don't think I would of liked Black Thursday as much........lol

I just love the dresses, hairdos, heels, hats and boas........love it!!!

[IMG]http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g207/bettie15/20shair1.jpg[/IMG]
"Love all, trust a few, and do wrong to none."
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I would love to go back and see Henry the Eighth in action. He sculpted what true madmen in power can really do. Wars, killing off people who he didn't like, including several wives. I also love the clothes and codes from back the so I ust think it would be cool. Well until I did something to piss him off and got boiled in oil or beheaded myself.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Geez Blind and Rocco, you guys sure know how to take the fun out of harmless what-if wishful thinking. Forget the techno-paradox seriousness of the question and indulge in a little carefree frivolous fantasy.

For my second choice, I'd like to go back in time and meet Joan of Arc. I always did like the athletic types and I've never done it with a martyr. I best she would be wild in bed if I could successfully seduce her.
"I can resist everything except temptation." - Oscar Wilde