What did you love as a kid....?

last reply
67 replies
4.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
This could be fun since there are so many of us from different ages and nationalities. When you were a kid, what were one/some of the things that you really looked forward to or enjoyed. Without all the responsiblities of adulthood. For instance... here's one of mine....

I LOVED waking up on Saturday morning to watch cartoons. Justice League and Bugs Bunny. Younger generations don't know about having only 12 tv channels and cartoons only being on from 6-noon on Sat. mornings. There was something wonderful about looking forward to seeing something that wasn't available all day every day.

Also when all the neighborhood kids... appr. 15 of us would get together for a huge game of Hide n Seek or Kick the Can. Then having a huge picnic outside when the game was over. PB&J sandwiches, chips, and apple or cookies, and Kool-Aid.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Lurker
0 likes
i do remember 12 stations and no remote!

i loved...

catching fireflies in the summer...

rolling up all the windows in the car on the way to the pool and getting as hot as possible before jumping into the cold water..

sledding in the winter..my dog would chase us down the hill and my mom would bring out hot chocolate.

fun LM smile
Lurker
0 likes
I always loved stuff that glowed in the dark, and I still do now. In my bedroom I had glow in the dark stars all over my ceiling.
Shit like that still fills me with wonder...
Like magic, you know!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
saddling the horse and taking off for the day
Have the courage to make the change, the strength to see it through, and keep the faith that it will turn out for the best!
Lurker
0 likes
What felt like freed ...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I loved riding my bike everywhere in the hot summer......and my dad taking me horseback riding.
Lurker
0 likes
Christmas
Lurker
0 likes
Watching cartoons on Saturday morning and mom making French toast for breakfast.
Riding bikes with friends. Climbing trees and learning to throw a spiral football pass.

Seeing my dad come home from work. He always had a smile and a hug for me.

Saying something as innocent as "Man that's queer" and it not meaning anything other than "unusual".
Catching fireflies and then letting them go.

Knowing that if I misbehaved one of the other mothers in the neighborhood would tell on me. Or disciplined me herself and no one thought it strange or nosy. By the same token, with those other mothers there, I knew I could run to them for help if I needed to.

Walking barefoot in a mud puddle after a rain.

Watching Chiller Theater on Friday nights.

Jeesh, I could go on and on.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen
Watching cartoons on Saturday morning and mom making French toast for breakfast.
Riding bikes with friends. Climbing trees and learning to throw a spiral football pass.

Seeing my dad come home from work. He always had a smile and a hug for me.

Saying something as innocent as "Man that's queer" and it not meaning anything other than "unusual".
Catching fireflies and then letting them go.

Knowing that if I misbehaved one of the other mothers in the neighborhood would tell on me. Or disciplined me herself and no one thought it strange or nosy. By the same token, with those other mothers there, I knew I could run to them for help if I needed to.

Walking barefoot in a mud puddle after a rain.

Watching Chiller Theater on Friday nights.

Jeesh, I could go on and on.

Yes indeed! I spent hours on my bike. Climbed many a tree.

And yes, about the other mothers. I remember doing something no so nice to my best friends little sister. Nothing too bad, just took something out of her hand..well, kinda yanked it. I was about 8 or 9. Her mom saw me and told me that I had to go home. Which I did and had to explain why I was sent home. Then MY mother fussed at me for doing it. Nowadays if a kid is sent home, his mom would call the first mom and bitch her out for being mean to or picking on her son. (That was hard to write and not confuse myself with pronouns)

And I loved walking in the rain filled ditches after a good rain. After playing on my old school Atari inside during the rainstorm. You know, the one with one joystick and one red button.

Lurker
0 likes
ohhh puddle stomping! i loved that!
Lurker
0 likes
How about going camping? In the back yard. Sometimes, with blankets. Sometimes if you were lucky, a dad would put up a real tent.

Sitting on my dads shoulders watching the 4th of July parade. Seeing EVERYONE stand up and put their hand over their heart.
Christmas parade was just as good. The caboose was Santa!!

Watching a train go by and waiting for the caboose and waving to the conductor. And he waved back!
Lurker
0 likes
riding in the back of pick up trucks...

catching frogs and tadpoles in the river..and bringing them home to scare our mom.

ice skating on the out door rink at night under lights watching snow flakes glitter down...
Lurker
0 likes
Playing with the neighbourhood kids at the front in the street, someone once in a while yelling 'Car!' and everyone moving to the pavement

Snow days

Easter egg hunt in my pjs!
Lurker
0 likes
Friday nights, which was always good old kiwi Fish n Chips night in our home. Beat the hell out of eating my greens every other night.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I loved my cartoons from the 90's but then again who didnt they were the bestsmile and i loved riding my bike outside on my block, and the ice cream truck (when it didnt cost 5 bucks for a damn ice cream cone), because me and the ice cream truck guy were totally bestiesbiggrin
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Someone else paying the bills and picking up the tabs.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Lurker
0 likes
Other than cartoons i actually always loved crap Saturday night tv, except in the 90s it was all awesome not the shit they show these days
Lurker
0 likes
Going out to eat at a restaurant was a treat.
We never ate fast food.

Snow days rocked. *I can still hear my mom sigh*

Not bothering to lock the car. Or the house. Never worried about either one.

Helping to pick out the Thanksgiving turkey and thinking my mom was the best cook in the world.

My dad helping me ride a bike without training wheels.
Lurker
0 likes
no responasibilities, can have complet hakuna matata
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by daviddownunder
Friday nights, which was always good old kiwi Fish n Chips night in our home. Beat the hell out of eating my greens every other night.

Greens as in collard greens?

Mine was lima beans. I'd swallow them whole.Hh4Q3YVaxcWm9hYm
Couldn't do that with Brussel sprouts.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen
Quote by daviddownunder

Greens as in collard greens?

Mine was lima beans. I'd swallow them whole.56quWufVscctlsmT
Couldn't do that with Brussel sprouts.

I always knew you had good swallowing techniques.

Lurker
0 likes
I loved going out on my bike first thing in the morning, hanging round with my gang and not coming home until it was getting dark...
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen

Helping to pick out the Thanksgiving turkey and thinking my mom was the best cook in the world.

mmmm mine too!

decorating christmas cookies

holiday parties with Chex mix!
Lurker
0 likes
Summers in Greece and waking up in the morning to catch the morning ride from the towns bus driver down to the beach. Bobo would shift into gear after coughing up a lung. He would stay up long past the last moment we saw him on the way home. He would play Greek music loudly and focus on the winding road which would slope at about 65 degrees down from the edge. It was like a thrill ride before reaching sun drenched beaches of rock or sand, depending on our vote.

Get off the bus and see squid and octopus hanging from the mornings catch awaiting our lunch time pangs. Then stroll up the pier, climb the old vacant towers alongside the water that were previously used to load cargo. Jump as far as you could so as not to hit the rocks, tag the sandy bottom and emerge to a roar or laughter, depending on your landing. Hours idly wasted, just having fun, and living.
Lurker
0 likes
Wow, tough act to follow!

Eating breakfast in the morning during summer vacation and not coming home again until dinner time. I think we roamed from one of town to the other.
Going on family road trips and folding the backseat down in the station wagon and sleeping in the open space, no seatbelts required.
Staying up all night reading on weekends or vacations and it not mattering, because I didn't have to get up early for anything.
Playing ghost in the graveyard
Lurker
0 likes
I love that I grew up in a town where a kid could be a kid and not have too many worries.
I love that I could go the the beach everyday.
I love that in the winter our grade schools would freeze the playfields so there was a ice rink and we could skate until it was dark.
I loved the cartoons! OMG Saturday mornings were the best!
I love that I grew up with a great bunch of guys and we are all still good friends today.
I love that in the summer I fell asleep to live music drifting in my open windows...
I love that when ever I stopped by grandma's house she always had cookies in the ready...

Most of all I love that my parents trusted me enough to allow me to do all the stupid shit I did and the freedom to do it....
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I would have to say i miss the old school cartoons they showed on Saturday mornings!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by mazza
I loved going out on my bike first thing in the morning, hanging round with my gang and not coming home until it was getting dark...

OMG I miss that too... There is no way I would let my boys do that now days
Have the courage to make the change, the strength to see it through, and keep the faith that it will turn out for the best!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Going to the store with a quarter and getting bunch of candy.
Ehhhhh, What's up Doc?