D-Day June 6th Normandy Invasion

last reply
26 replies
2.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
The Linebacker
0 likes
This is the anniversary of D-Day, the Normandy Invasion in 1944.

American, British, Canadian, Australian & French forces landed on the beaches (some parachuted) of Normandy (northwestern France) in a massive assault against the Nazis to free he world from their evil Nazi scurge. Within a year Hitler and his empire of evil was totally destroyed.

Remember our fore fathers that bled for our freedom and to fight against tyranny. Both of my grandfathers fought against the Nazis.

Lurker
0 likes
My great grandfathers also. Met one grandfather who told me about those bad times My great grandfathers were both killed in action in the second world war. I have studied both world wars - just because they interest me - and I think it was your American General John J. Pershing who in 1918 demanded allied forces should press on to Berlin rather than the actual armistice which was eventually declared - leaving Germany relatively unscathed. He also stated that without pressing on into Berlin: "Well be back out here again within 20 years to do it all once more." How damned true was that statement.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
my great uncle was here. he was a BUD...a SEAL before there were SEALs. his job was to dive and disable underwater bombs. he said all he had was his mask, a pair of shorts and a knife. he was shot 5 times in 5 days and lived to tell us the tale...he was a BAD ASS.
littlemissbitch ~ professional face ripper offer, at your service..
Lurker
0 likes
My grandfather's older brothers were in this, with one landing on D-Day at Utah Beach. He went through to the end of the war without a physical scratch. He didn't take it to well mentally though (PTSD) and became a heavy drinker. He died in 1954 in a car accident. Another was a 'replacement' in the 3rd Army in France not long after D-Day. He was wounded in the drive to relieve Bastonge in the Battle of the Bulge and suffered from frostbite. Another was a side-gunner in a B-24 based in Italy. He was wounded by flak shrapnel and sent home in 1944. My grandfather, the youngest brother, was too young to join the army, but did in 1948. He fought in Korea. My other grandfather was in the Navy on a sub-chaser destroyer in the Pacific.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
As this debacle has been so well documented (I was 2 at the time). I still find it hard to find any justification for wars since. War is the ultimate childishness - we stop kids hitting each other in the playground at school and then expect them to reconcile this contradiction and even extend the hypocrisy further by expecting them to actually fight in the damn things when they are just out of their teens even though they are not always eligible to be part of the decision making process. I can't accept the good guy bad guy thing either as that is always a matter of historical convenience as atrocities are committed by all sides.
Lurker
0 likes
both my grandfathers faught in the war. one was an RAF groundcrew (royal air force) and the other was a dessert rat (Commando)

they were not at normandy but both remember it.

they both past away in the past few years. miss them. may they rest in peace.
The Linebacker
0 likes
WWII was no doubt the good guys vs, the bad guys. Unless you are okay with the mass extermination of races of people and planetary domination by racist empirical dictatorships.

One of my grandfathers was a US Army Intelligence officer and his job was mostly to interrogate German prisoners.

My other grandfather was just a grunt private as he calls it. He fought in The Battle of the Bulge. After the war he went to college on the GI Bill.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If ever there was a battle against pure evil, World War II was that battle. We owe our liberty to the men that stood between us and two agressive nations that wanted to conquer the world, exterminating entire people groups in the process. Read "The Rape of Naking" to see the evils of the Japanese Empire. Read about the Holocaust and you will catch just a glimpse of the horrors that we fought to stop.

Both Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan were racist empires bent on world conquest, and they nearly prevailed. The world would be a dark, evil place if Britain had not fought on against all odds, and if the United States had not supplied Russia with the means to defend herself, and had the U.S. not offered its best and brightest men to bring an end to this aggression and totalitarian nightmear.

D Day ought long to be remembered as a heroic battle to end enslavement and to liberate Europe from the tyranny of an evil goverment bent on world conquest. It was one of our shining moments, and I give thanks to all that fought for our freedom -- and I honor the memory of those that gave their last full measure to preserve our liberty.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by TJRogue
If ever there was a battle against pure evil, World War II was that battle. We owe our liberty to the men that stood between us and two agressive nations that wanted to conquer the world, exterminating entire people groups in the process. Read "The Rape of Naking" to see the evils of the Japanese Empire. Read about the Holocaust and you will catch just a glimpse of the horrors that we fought to stop.

Both Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan were racist empires bent on world conquest, and they nearly prevailed. The world would be a dark, evil place if Britain had not fought on against all odds, and if the United States had not supplied Russia with the means to defend herself, and had the U.S. not offered its best and brightest men to bring an end to this aggression and totalitarian nightmear.

D Day ought long to be remembered as a heroic battle to end enslavement and to liberate Europe from the tyranny of an evil goverment bent on world conquest. It was one of our shining moments, and I give thanks to all that fought for our freedom -- and I honor the memory of those that gave their last full measure to preserve our liberty.
Genocide exists quite close to your own history old bean.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by TJRogue

A very good post TJRogue!!!! I couldn't agree more!
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
Excellent post, Buz .... sometimes the younger generation forgets (because some don't even know) about the sacrifices men and women made during WWII. My father was a Paratrooper for the British. (what that means, I never really found out ... something about assisting in dropping medical stuff and other things ...)

When I watched the opening 20 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan" .... my god, I was almost physically sick at what those men endured and died for. And, there are other great movies that help to show us what happened and perhaps, show us how fortunate we now are.

I cannot express well-enough, my gratitude. And @ TJRouge ... your post was fabulously written.

PA
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Buz
WWII was no doubt the good guys vs, the bad guys. Unless you are okay with the mass extermination of races of people and planetary domination by racist empirical dictatorships.

One of my grandfathers was a US Army Intelligence officer and his job was mostly to interrogate German prisoners.

My other grandfather was just a grunt private as he calls it. He fought in The Battle of the Bulge. After the war he went to college on the GI Bill.
Your argument is somewhat simplistic and you didn't answer the question I posed which was not a condemnation of those who fought in WWII.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Buz
This is the anniversary of D-Day, the Normandy Invasion in 1944.

American, British, Canadian, Australian & French forces landed on the beaches (some parachuted) of Normandy (northwestern France) in a massive assault against the Nazis to free he world from their evil Nazi scurge. Within a year Hitler and his empire of evil was totally destroyed.

Remember our fore fathers that bled for our freedom and to fight against tyranny. Both of my grandfathers fought against the Nazis.

Of course they all volunteered they didn't get called up.
Artistic Tart
0 likes
What was the question, Jack42?
0 likes
Quote by Jack_42
Your argument is somewhat simplistic and you didn't answer the question I posed which was not a condemnation of those who fought in WWII.

sometimes, things are broken down to a "bare statement" .... such as "WWII was no doubt the good guys vs, the bad guys."

I believe many people would concur with Buz's "blanket" statement.

What would you say is the bare statement regarding WWII?

I notice you are in Europe, so perhaps your view point is different than those from North American who appreciate the efforts, second or even third hand, from their own families perspective.
Lurker
0 likes
In the Second World War, that began in 1939, over two years before America finally contributed its important weight, a great evil crossed a line that caused fine men and women in most of the free countries of the world to make any sacrifice necessary to stop it and crush the life from it. That evil took the people of Mozart and Beethoven and Goethe and used real and perceived injustices stemming from the previous war, added in a mysticism, ethnic nationalism and xenophobia that appealed to the German and the wider Germanic nation and caught those people up in its truly evil pursuits. Other than Stalin's Soviet evil, none of the western powers that allied themselves against Hitler or the Japanese hoped for war or wanted war. Thank God our fathers and mothers and grandfathers and grandmothers had the fortitude to risk it all and in many cases give their all. They took the fight to them to make sure we would have a world worth living in.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
To Buz... Amen. Some fights have to be fought. Lest we forget...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Good post Buz. I had an uncle who was stationed in England. several friends I knew were in both theaters of the war
“I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.”~Frank Sinatra~
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by LadyX
What was the question, Jack42?
That WWII has been filmed documented etc so we have no excuse for any wars since yet humanity continues to indulge and justify this absolutely stupidity and childish behaviour. I can actually remember WWII and its aftermath and I've been in the forces myself and realised I was contributing to a murder organisation. When we look back on wars of the past that are not within living memory we have a completely different viewpoint the same will apply to this. Who looks back on the Boer War as a "goodies baddies" thing yet that could be viewed as a fight for freedom and remember that it was during that war that concentration camps were invented by the British one of the "good guys " in WWII??
0 likes
Quote by Jack_42
That WWII has been filmed documented etc so we have no excuse for any wars since yet humanity continues to indulge and justify this absolutely stupidity and childish behaviour. I can actually remember WWII and its aftermath and I've been in the forces myself and realised I was contributing to a murder organisation. When we look back on wars of the past that are not within living memory we have a completely different viewpoint the same will apply to this. Who looks back on the Boer War as a "goodies baddies" thing yet that could be viewed as a fight for freedom and remember that it was during that war that concentration camps were invented by the British one of the "good guys " in WWII??

so, Jack, when there was an uprising such as Hitler's Nazi ... who rolled into countries and looking for "European" dominance .... what were the countries (and the world) to do? Let the Nazi's do whatever they want? Kinda like modern-day bullies. What was the correct answer (back then, not today!).

your point about the concentration camps (not mentioned in the original post by Buz) .... There is no doubt that the concentration camps were originated by the British during the Boer Wars ... some lovely person thought up the "burn everything to the ground and round 'em up" idea ... but I think many will say that the Nazi's perfected it.

The point of the thread, though, isn't an argument of "war being an organizational murder plot" and how can anyone support war .... it originated as a thank you to the men and women who undertook tremendous energy to free Europe from the stronghold of the Nazi's (and Japanese in the Pacific) bullying and strong hold. There are a good many of us that applaud their efforts.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by PersonalAssistant

sometimes, things are broken down to a "bare statement" .... such as "WWII was no doubt the good guys vs, the bad guys."

I believe many people would concur with Buz's "blanket" statement.

What would you say is the bare statement regarding WWII?

I notice you are in Europe, so perhaps your view point is different than those from North American who appreciate the efforts, second or even third hand, from their own families perspective.
As you have no choice in when or where you are born I fail to see why we should be retrospectively "grateful: for those who "bled" for us anyway - we and they had no choice in the matter. I was actually saying we have no excuse for forgetting how bad and pointless the whole business is and therefore should not have any more but we still do. I am British and my father was Polish my stepfarther was British and they both fought in that war See my other answer. Also I state I was not condemning those who fought in WWII but it seems people love to wax sentimental about things and go off without thinking raving rhetorically about the emotional issue rather than the point being made - I suppose it's more fun that way. However I am now becoming bored with this so let's just drop the issue and think about important things like what male underwear excites young ladies boxer shorts or jockeys or do they view underwear completely different to males.
0 likes
Quote by Jack_42
However I am now becoming bored with this so let's just drop the issue and think about important things like what male underwear excites young ladies boxer shorts or jockeys or do they view underwear completely different to males.

I believe many women love the commando (easiest access) ... though, some favour the good old boxers .... rarely women (at least me and my friends) like male thong ... a bit too prissy. I am sure the men in the various forces around the world look good in boxer-briefs.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Hotfunpen7777777
In the Second World War, that began in 1939, over two years before America finally contributed its important weight, a great evil crossed a line that caused fine men and women in most of the free countries of the world to make any sacrifice necessary to stop it and crush the life from it. That evil took the people of Mozart and Beethoven and Goethe and used real and perceived injustices stemming from the previous war, added in a mysticism, ethnic nationalism and xenophobia that appealed to the German and the wider Germanic nation and caught those people up in its truly evil pursuits. Other than Stalin's Soviet evil, none of the western powers that allied themselves against Hitler or the Japanese hoped for war or wanted war. Thank God our fathers and mothers and grandfathers and grandmothers had the fortitude to risk it all and in many cases give their all. They took the fight to them to make sure we would have a world worth living in.
And the Ford motor company made a nice pile of money selling vehicles to both sides.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by PersonalAssistant

I believe many women love the commando (easiest access) ... though, some favour the good old boxers .... rarely women (at least me and my friends) like male thong ... a bit too prissy. I am sure the men in the various forces around the world look good in boxer-briefs.

When I was in the forces the only people who wore what we considered quaint underwear like boxer shorts were people in theatrical bedroom farces - boxers were considered to be corny and old fashioned. As for thongs I tried one and felt as if I was being cut in half from below by cheesewire. smile So I salute all those brave females who endure the pain so that we can enjoy the freedom of ogling delicious female forms clad in scanty and arousing whisps of cloth secure in the knowledge that we are safe to pursue them in a world free of despotic underwear manufacturers.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Hotfunpen7777777

Oh yes which "we" are you talking about. The British got involved when Poland was invaded and of course that country was free after the war as was Albania, Czechoslovakia etc.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Buz

[And after the war everybody was free and the evil stopped? War is about one thing only and there are no exceptions it's money. Instead of watching emotional triggers like Private Ryan people should watch Father Goose starring Cary Grant much more realistic appraisal and funnier too.]
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Here in NZ, as the older generations have faded out , individual campaigns such as D-Day and the battle of Normandy, the Italian campaign. so have remembrance celebrations for them
faded away. Individual units, who participated in these battles, may ahve a reunion but, once again, age is against them. We have our major remembrance day on 25th April, called
ANZAC Day. This now encompasses all military actions in which NZ, as a country, has participated in, from the Boer War to the current Afghanistani troubles. ANZAC stands for Australian and
New Zealand Army Corps - we do not do much without Australia, though Australia has participated in some things we have not i.e 2nd Gulf War.
The main thing I mean by this is that no matter what your colour, creed or faith somewnere along the line a serviceman/woman has gone into bat for you and your beliefs, and, fortunately
for you has prevailed. Learn the lessons from history and thank those people who paid the ultimate sacrifice. I did 20 years in the NZ Army and am proud of it