Gulf Tragedy

last reply
79 replies
6.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Artistic Tart
0 likes
I was hogging another thread with oil-disaster venting- and figured out I shouldn't jack that thread anymore and just start a new one.

I first want to post the link to the video showing the oil spewing out in real time- so when we see the oil coming ashore, killing wildlife and fucking things up for decades to come, we'll realize that was oil from weeks ago. The worst is in giant plumes under the water where nobody can see it.

LIVE FEED- OIL LEAK

And still the government sits on its hands, and people argue against lifting the cap on damages that BP will owe, and nobody at BP knows what to do or cares. The CEO said recently that he's sure the company will survive this disaster.

Really? Fuck you, I hope it doesn't. In fact, I hope something of yours gets ruined- hopefully your bank account for starters.

This is so infuriating, and I think the number that are angry as hell will grow and grow once it kills wetlands, the reef, ruins all the fishing, stains the beautiful beaches, wrecks economies, etc.
Matriarch
0 likes
It takes thousands of years to create a reef biosphere, an oil spill to kill it within days.

These oil companies disgust me.
Lurker
0 likes
The thing is all the freakin oil companies give a shit about is money bottom line. They don't care bout the damage they cause to the planet I mean if they really did they could have had that thing capped in a week. Yeah sure the thing may be a few thousand feet down but crap we can send a man to the freakin moon yet can do something like this? BULLSHIT!!!! I'm with you Nic I hate the oil companies myself one of the reasons I don't drive a car and yet I'm a hot rodder go figure lol. I'm no tree hugger but I do hate seeing shit like this happen time and time again. Yet the government will stick their nose in other peoples business and yet they won't get the balls to stand up to big oil?
Lurker
0 likes
Welcome to a country of capitalism.
Lurker
0 likes
Yes, it is
Lurker
0 likes
Hi MrC. Welcome.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Jillicious
And if it does work should we forgive him for Waterworld?

NO WAY!!!!! That is one of the worst movies of all time ok of rant back on topic lol
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Remington
Oil field industry is one of our richest industries. If it goes under we're fucked. Just sayin...

Yeah the greedy motherfuckers. They take take take then when something like this comes up they stand around with thumbs up their ass pointing fingers instead of breaking open their wallets to fix the fuckin thing. Yet all the sons a bitches know how to do is to raise the price some more and blame it on the current fuck up. YEAH RIGHT!!!!
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by Remington
Oil field industry is one of our richest industries. If it goes under we're fucked. Just sayin...

Well...yes and no.

If it goes under (and it will eventually) they're fucked. Depending on what replaces it, we'll either be unfucked or real fucked.

And it will go under.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by WellMadeMale
Quote by Remington

Well...yes and no.

If it goes under (and it will eventually) they're fucked. Depending on what replaces it, we'll either be unfucked or real fucked.

And it will go under.

They got something in the works already doubt we will be fucked but you are right about them being fucked and why not the oil companies have been fucking us for the past 100 years lol. Bout time they get the royal shafting.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola
It takes thousands of years to create a reef biosphere, an oil spill to kill it within days.

I've made a promise to (maybe silly one to you, but promise is promise) my mother that I will not discuss on this subject any more...I can only say :

Second It!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by She
Quote by nicola

I've made a promise to (maybe silly one to you, but promise is promise) my mother that I will not discuss on this subject any more...I can only say :

Second It!

Ah politics and parents gotta love trying that LMAO
Artistic Tart
0 likes
Quote by Remington

oh no! let's not let rich people go under!

Seriously though, if BP goes under because of this, then good fucking riddance, but they aren't the only giant oil company around, so I can't worry about this bringing down oil as an industry. Oh those poor stockholders with villas in France though- god help them, what a tragedy this is to their portfolios.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
*This post was preventively censored.
Insert typical super smart ass comment courtesy of thepainter here.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by bikebum1975
Quote by She
Quote by nicola

Second It!

Ah politics and parents gotta love trying that LMAO

Lol, I know...and I am not even a teenager
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Quote by Remington

So true, so true.

If big oil was to go down it would be devastating to the US economy. Do you want to see real and pillaging of the plant? Just throw the US economy into a tailspin and see how much people continue to "care" for our environment. Priorities change in an economic depression, feed your kids or save the planet? You choose. When it hits your pocketbook your opinion might change. Why not support the efforts by the energy companies now, while they are trying their best to supply us with cheap fuel in a clean and efficient manner as possible? Are they perfect? Hell no! But many of these so called "evil corporations" are doing more good for the planet then most people will ever know, but we don't hear about that on the news. If it bleeds, it leads.
Artistic Tart
0 likes
Quote by NoraBora
If it bleeds, it leads.

You're damn right about that.

You want to talk about hitting the pocketbooks? How about the economies of five gulf-bordering states, and ultimately hundreds of thousands of jobs at risk or gone for the foreseeable future? You can turn this into some sort of 'you guys and your unrealistic green expectations' lecture if you want- but that's really not what it's about. Besides, who is arguing that we should throw the economy into a tailspin? I don't even see anyone arguing that oil currently coming from the bottom of the ocean should stop being pumped out- but if BP's carelessness bankrupts them? Yes, fuck 'em, I hope they go down hard. I think it's established that BP is but one oil company- and hopefully the others learn the lessons and don't allow their own carelessness and selfishness cause their own downfall in the same way.

I got a laugh at the suggestion that we should support the energy companies' efforts? Which efforts are those exactly? Are you talking about when they covered the oil pipe with a box and attached a hose to it? Or is it the idea of pumping trash into the hole and hoping to plug it? Or is it- wait, that's right- those are the only goddamn ideas they have so far! I don't think you'll find many more business-friendly governors than Louisiana's governor- but ask him what he thinks of BP's "solutions" so far. I don't think you'll find all the conservative people near the gulf congratulating energy companies for their 'efforts'.

You're right, energy companies provide energy as efficiently as they can- as that makes them more profitable. You don't really think they do it because they care about the earth do you? By the time any adverse affects are felt, those motherfuckers are sitting beachside in Bermuda on their stack of money, wishing everyone else good luck. They do it as cleanly as they are forced to- and because the government didn't babysit them well enough and they couldn't be bothered to have backup plans anyway- that didn't turn out to be very fucking clean at all this time around, did it?

People still say "but deep sea drilling is safe, this hardly ever happens, people!" Well that's true- but it's a deaf ears argument in the face of such imcompetence and carelessness spread across several different parties. So I wouldn't worry about big oil, they'll muscle their way in this world no matter what- they hold all the cards, after all, but sorry if I'm not going to feel sorry for them or join their battle to increase profits errrr provide affordable energy. They don't need my sympathy; they can't even see it past all their profits and holdings. More power to them- I hope those that continue to draw oil from the sea do it more carefully and with three heads looking over their shoulders at all times.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
What pisses me off is that the area I live in lives off the oil field. BP not such a big deal, but if this were Halliburton, Holy Shit we would be screwed. The oil field is our leading industry with the gun industry close behind it. Why mess with your 2 leading industries? Besides the worlds gonna end soon, so why does it matter? *heavy dose of sarcasm*
Go check out my new story - How Did This Happen? - John's Story
Lurker
0 likes
There has to be a better way ......but this is the way the big oil companies can make bigger profits...so to them it will just be another tax write off
Lurker
0 likes
I think you forget that the fat cats running "big oil" aren't the only ones that will/would be affected if it failed.
There's more to it than them. There's everyday people that work for them and depend on them to feed their families. This is Gordon Jones. He died out there. His wife is 9 months pregnant. And there's other people that work for them that aren't on oil rigs. They're just trying to feed their family too.

Artistic Tart
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen
I think you forget that the fat cats running "big oil" aren't the only ones that will/would be affected if it failed.
There's more to it than them. There's everyday people that work for them and depend on them to feed their families. This is Gordon Jones. He died out there. His wife is 9 months pregnant. And there's other people that work for them that aren't on oil rigs. They're just trying to feed their family too.

That's true- and the fact that people died is another good reason for outrage. And also true that the motherfuckers making decisions for BP aren't the only ones affected, but that's no reason not to level your guns at them. It's sad so many are affected, but besides the federal government not doing their fucking jobs, this is BP's liability, and all the fine people that may lose their jobs can only look at their executives who, through their decision-making, put their company's neck out and allowed a situation where a giant disaster could clean the whole company out.

Maximum pain to BP- may they pay every cent they owe- for a wrecked economy, wrecked environment, and wrecked traditions- until they can pay no more, and if it takes them down, good riddance, get the fuck out. My sympathies to the everyday people who will pay the price, because it sure as fuck won't be the executives!
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
The efforts I speak of pertain to the proactive, not reactive, and I am speaking in terms of the entire energy industry, not just BP or big oil. A few questions to ponder...
Do you drive a car? Ever flown in an airplane? Do you use items made of plastic? How about soap? Ever take aspirin for a headache? Do you ever eat food that is not produced in your yard? Do you use electricity?
Lurker
0 likes
And now that you've put thousands if not hundreds of thousands out of work, where do you suggest they go in this economy to feed their family and put a roof over their heads?
I agree that big oil needs to clean up it's house but, putting thousands out of work to do it isn't the answer. I don't think we should be so blase' about any large company failing and putting so many people out on the street. Our economy is in a precarious balance now as it is. That could well be the straw that breaks it.
Artistic Tart
0 likes
Quote by NoraBora
The efforts I speak of pertain to the proactive, not reactive, and I am speaking in terms of the entire energy industry, not just BP or big oil. A few questions to ponder...
Do you drive a car? Ever flown in an airplane? Do you use items made of plastic? How about soap? Ever take aspirin for a headache? Do you ever eat food that is not produced in your yard? Do you use electricity?

I'm well aware of how far-reaching energy companies activities are in all of our lives, thank you for the lesson. You respond as if I want them all gone, which I clearly didn't argue for in past posts. Terrible things are happening, and those responsible should pay. That's far from a 'to hell with all energy companies' position.
Artistic Tart
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen
And now that you've put thousands if not hundreds of thousands out of work, where do you suggest they go in this economy to feed their family and put a roof over their heads?
I agree that big oil needs to clean up it's house but, putting thousands out of work to do it isn't the answer. I don't think we should be so blase' about any large company failing and putting so many people out on the street. Our economy is in a precarious balance now as it is. That could well be the straw that breaks it.

Which one breaks the economic back? All the lost jobs from the environmental damage, innocent people powerless to stop what's happening, or the possible lost jobs from damages that BP owes everyone else, to help minimize the damages I just mentioned? Pick your poison, it seems to me- and yes of course, BP employees aren't personally guilty for it's companies' sins. But jobs are lost either way as I see it, and I don't see how BP gets the benefit of the doubt over the economies of the shoreline communities that are affected, and will continue to be affected, likely for decades.

Chef, you strike me as the kind of person who doesn't hesitate to hold people accountable for their wrong-doing- why is this one any different, other than some kind of 'too big to fail' argument? There's no way in hell that the areas and people affected shouldn't get what's rightfully theirs from the company(ies) at fault, for worry that their employees may lose their jobs. How do you tell a shrimp harvester, or a charter fisherman, or a resort operator, that they aren't entitled to damages because we fear BP may lose jobs as a result? That would seem to reward failure, which our government seems to be pretty good at lately.
Lurker
0 likes
I never said that they shouldn't be held accountable. You misunderstand. I'm just saying that to close them down or for them to go out of business isn't going to help anything at all. I'm well aware of what this oil spill means. I live near the gulf coast and it's going to hurt my state as well as the others more than we'll know for years to come.
Lurker
0 likes
I am in New Orleans for those who know me. I hate to say this but its Katrina all over again. No malice to any of my friends on the east or west coast or even Fla. But had it happened there thngs would have been done much different. At least that is the wasy it seems. We didnt matter after rh storm we came back and now this. Both Bush and Obama gave the Iraq speech and so far the EPA has done nothing WHen the marsh is ruiend it is not coming back. Maybe we shoud exert our power and suceed and take the mouth of the river maybe then they will protect or at least try to make things right but i dobt it
Artistic Tart
0 likes
Maybe I did misunderstand. From my perspective, it sounded like you would rather limit damages to save the company rather than hold them accountable for every dollar, even if it means bankruptcy for them. I can't think of many examples where a company is better off going out of business, but i don't want to hear the possibility of that for BP stated as a reason to limit their financial responsibility to everyone else affected.

If it sinks the company, I hate it for their employees that had the bad luck to work for such irresponsible executives.