Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Should creationism be taught in schools? Options · View
MrNudiePants
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 1:11:35 PM

LadyX wrote:

LOL. I've thought that since the day it was raised.

Just look at who started it...argue

tazznjazz
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 1:26:47 PM

All religion's belief's should be taught [ including Pagonisim] so that tolerance and understanding of world wide beliefs are better understood, but It should be an elective class.
sprite
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 1:44:26 PM

they teach fiction in English classes - kind of the same thing :)

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/hardcore/west-coast-games-part-one-the-beach.aspx
gpown
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 2:46:04 PM

For those who are for teaching creationism in science classes, I'd like them to publish a scientific paper on how Jesus changed water into wine. Same source, same proof, same category.
kylie_kained
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 4:22:58 PM

Creationism is something that I feel cant be taught it's the individual that can become creative.

WellMadeMale
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2012 9:07:15 AM

MrNudiePants wrote:

Just look at who started it...argue

"Avast Ye, feather ruffl'n bilge rat - or shall aye aks mah lil paradice birdie have'a word or two wit ye? A new bunghole ripped perhaps by chance?"

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
NymphWriter
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 1:38:57 AM

Here's the problem with teaching creationism in public school....

Most organized religions have their own "version" of creation and it's very easy to both mix them up and offend or upset other groups.

Some who believe in creationism don't believe in the existence in dinosaurs, regardless of the scientific facts (I so wish I was making this shit up, but my ex-mother-in-law believes this)

Those who don't believe in "creationism" would be out of place.

If they want to teach creationism, then it must be presented as a "theory" like the big bang or evolution. Even though there is proof of some form of evolution, there is no definitive proof it's the 100% right answer. Of course... this will incur the wrath of parents.

Then of course there is the whole separate of church and state issue that I won't waste my time writing or your time reading.

Oh yeah... and before I incur hate mail... I am a public school teacher and I've had kids share with me their beliefs. I have learned to get the kids to "agree to disagree" as it's not worth my job to talk theology except when necessary.

Science can teach theories, as long as parents know the teacher is trying to present a balanced front of all the theories pertaining to how the Earth came into being.

NymphWriter
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 1:40:06 AM

tazznjazz wrote:
All religion's belief's should be taught [ including Pagonisim] so that tolerance and understanding of world wide beliefs are better understood, but It should be an elective class.

That would be nice... but good luck getting parents to go along with it. Sadly, not all will.

Jack_42
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 4:53:48 AM

Yawn.
ahotbod4u
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 5:48:33 AM

NEVER NEVER NEVER. Too many religious bigots in this world.......if you're going to do that why stop therre?. Flat Earth Society anyone, Scientology perhaps ?
As for teaching it as a science......god help us all if that level of ignorance takes over.
Kinky_Becky
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 7:43:42 AM

Would be an interesting class wouldn't it?

Teacher: Ok, kids, the sun is the center of our universe. As the Earth rotates around the sun, it also spins and wobbles. Spinning on it's axis is what decides whether it's night or day, depending on whether the side of the Earth you are on faces the sun or not. Similarly, when the sun shines on the moon, it makes the moon bright on the side that faces the moon. The wobbling is responsible for the seasons. When the Earth is tilted down, it is summer in the northern hemisphere, but winter in the southern hemisphere.

Now on the first day, God created the heavens and Earth, then created light and separated the night and day.

On day 2, God created land and separated the waters above and below. The water above it he called the sky.

On day 3, God created plants.

On day 4, God created the sun and moon, having the sun rule the day and the lesser light, the moon, rules the night.

On day 5, God created all the animals.

And on day 6, God created man.

Any questions? Yes Tommy?

Tommy: "You said that light comes from the sun. So if that's true, how did god make night and day before he made the sun? And how did all the plants live before there was a sun? And I don't understand, so the sky is made of water?

Teacher: Well you see Tommy, the story of God is a theory called creationism. All the rest is scientific fact?

Tommy: But you said a hypothesis was a theory until it had either been disproven or was supported a bunch of times, in which case it became law. So if all this scientific fact disproves it, isn't it no longer theory?

Teacher: Well yes, that's true, but all the Bible thumbers want you to be indoctrinated so we have to teach it, no matter how idiotic it sounds.

nazhinaz
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 1:28:05 AM

Kinky_Becky wrote:
Would be an interesting class wouldn't it?

Teacher: Ok, kids, the sun is the center of our universe. As the Earth rotates around the sun, it also spins and wobbles. Spinning on it's axis is what decides whether it's night or day, depending on whether the side of the Earth you are on faces the sun or not. Similarly, when the sun shines on the moon, it makes the moon bright on the side that faces the moon. The wobbling is responsible for the seasons. When the Earth is tilted down, it is summer in the northern hemisphere, but winter in the southern hemisphere.

Now on the first day, God created the heavens and Earth, then created light and separated the night and day.

On day 2, God created land and separated the waters above and below. The water above it he called the sky.

On day 3, God created plants.

On day 4, God created the sun and moon, having the sun rule the day and the lesser light, the moon, rules the night.

On day 5, God created all the animals.

And on day 6, God created man.

Any questions? Yes Tommy?

Tommy: "You said that light comes from the sun. So if that's true, how did god make night and day before he made the sun? And how did all the plants live before there was a sun? And I don't understand, so the sky is made of water?

Teacher: Well you see Tommy, the story of God is a theory called creationism. All the rest is scientific fact?

Tommy: But you said a hypothesis was a theory until it had either been disproven or was supported a bunch of times, in which case it became law. So if all this scientific fact disproves it, isn't it no longer theory?

Teacher: Well yes, that's true, but all the Bible thumbers want you to be indoctrinated so we have to teach it, no matter how idiotic it sounds.

Good example of confusion confounded.
Still Sun is not the center of Universe.

Kinky_Becky
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 3:12:45 PM

sorry, solar system. But considering our lives depend on it, it certainly is to me.

Plushbunny
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 6:30:33 AM

No

" I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer"
Woody Allen
BiMale73
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 6:57:46 AM

Of course not!

Kids should be taught 'about religion' with many examples of different religions, not religion itself. Like you'd want your kids to be taught about politics, not be rolled into a particular political party. Same thing.

seeker4
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 7:05:36 AM

In a religious studies class or Christian private school, sure. In a science class in a public school? No. Science needs to be about real science.

Its been a while but I finally got a new story out. Enjoy!

Satisfaction in the Park
mentalcase
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 8:47:01 AM

Evolution was taught in science classes for a private Christian school, why can't it be the other way? At least for a week?
Monocle
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 9:01:21 AM

mentalcase wrote:
Evolution was taught in science classes for a private Christian school, why can't it be the other way? At least for a week?

Because creationism is not science. It's really that simple.
BluRootz
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 9:29:30 AM

Monocle wrote:

Because creationism is not science. It's really that simple.

Then the question should be should religion be taught in school?
Monocle
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 9:58:38 AM

BluRootz wrote:

Comparative religion? History of religion? Sure.
Religious doctrine, or any one specific religion-as-law? No.
Jimmyram
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 10:42:57 AM

It should be taught but as part of social studies to show the social impact of religion as a group effect on society but never as science or given the credence of being a credible theory.
Milik_Redman
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 10:46:44 AM

BluRootz wrote:

Excellent point. The answer is no...

β€œIt is a great thing to know your vices.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

My Editors Choice Award Winning Stories.

BluRootz
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 12:14:18 PM

Monocle wrote:

Comparative religion? History of religion? Sure.
Religious doctrine, or any one specific religion-as-law? No.

Religious studies should be a elective in high school. Dangerous idea to be sure but young people should a better crasp on religions practice of all sorts to eliminate the current ignorance that plagues of youth about other cultures.
Monocle
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 1:02:45 PM

BluRootz wrote:

Religious studies should be a elective in high school. Dangerous idea to be sure but young people should a better crasp on religions practice of all sorts to eliminate the current ignorance that plagues of youth about other cultures.

Study _about_ religion (and comparative religion at that) is fine and I agree a useful cultural education. Study of a single religion-as-law would be indoctrination and has no place in public education.
Karranaz
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 2:16:28 PM

Shhh My University (partly funded by Belgian Priests) maintains that education is not complete without proper integration of secular and religious knowledge and values thus Religion Classes (where the professor is a priest) is a requirement to graduate and is a continuous part of the university experience. Even during my high school days at a girls private school (run by nuns) though not a convert of such religious sect, the school requires each student to take religion classes, memorize the teachings and doctrines and take part in the activities. Creationism was discussed and even became a heated debate inside the classroom (Science versus Religion). In the end we learned to respect each others belief or non-belief and the school let the non-converts observe instead of actively participating in the class room discussion.

Toxx
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 3:26:36 PM

No "ism's" should be taught in the educational system as subject matter, it should only be taught as a foot note in the history of mankind. We learn about communism,natzism and sexism in history so as to learn from our mistakes, creationism should be no different and be placed in the same category. The education system should be impartial and should be used to advance society by teaching proven facts.
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 4:29:17 PM

All theories should be taught. They are all theories. No one was there, so how could anyone know EXACTLY what happened FOR SURE?? No one can know. I think every theory should be taught (or at least the most popular ones), have the evidence suporting each theory explained, and then have each individual decide on their own what they think happened. That way, everyone wins. Religious beliefs and scientific beliefs would all be taught, but the school wouldn't be "pressuring" students to believe a certain thing.
I say teach everything and let people decide what they believe for themselves.
babs103
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 4:37:14 PM

Religion is a subject in most schools in Germany. Catholic religion for Catholics, Protestant religion for Protestants. What do Buddhists, Hindus, Jews and Muslims do? Either choose between the Catholics or Protestants or take Ethics classes instead. Totally ridiculous system. I've heard of a Muslim father who was so confused that he sent one son to the Catholics and one to the Protestants. Teach Ethics or Philosophy instead!
LizfromWA
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 4:52:48 PM

It can be taught but just not as a competition to science. Creationism and religion are both parts of a SOCIAL study. Science is not a social study and the two are not compatible. Teach religion where it should be, in Social Studies class and leave the science for science class.
HeraTeleia
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 5:31:22 PM

VirginAngel wrote:
All theories should be taught. They are all theories. No one was there, so how could anyone know EXACTLY what happened FOR SURE?? No one can know. I think every theory should be taught (or at least the most popular ones), have the evidence suporting each theory explained, and then have each individual decide on their own what they think happened. That way, everyone wins. Religious beliefs and scientific beliefs would all be taught, but the school wouldn't be "pressuring" students to believe a certain thing.
I say teach everything and let people decide what they believe for themselves.

Seriously? Schools shouldn't "pressure" students to say, learn correct grammar or spelling or how to correctly proof a math problem? "Teach everything and let people decide what they believe for themselves"? I'm sorry, but no second grader is capable of "deciding what they believe for themselves". Religious teaching (and yes, Creationism is a religious teaching) has no place in the lower grades, and should only be taught in comparative religion (Google it, sweetpea) classes in the higher grades.

Just because you can't wrap your brain around the idea of a billions year old universe and higher math, and choose to go with the simple, pretty, nicely packaged Creation story, doesn't make it a "theory". It's a STORY, and stories are not taught in the science curriculum.

My first story, a Recommended Read: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/flash-erotica/my-favourite-word.aspx

Want it all? Masturbation, exhibitionism, seduction, and of course, sex? Read "Tension", a Recommended Read: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/tension-1.aspx