Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Royal Nurse Commits Suicide After Prank Radio Call Options · View
stephanie
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 8:37:06 AM

http://www.sentinelsource.com/news/national_world/nurse-who-took-royal-prank-call-commits-suicide/article_45f9d804-fa20-5782-9f90-6c71aa766dcf.html

(Basically what happened was that an Australian radio duo phoned the hospital where the Duchess of Cambridge, (pregnant with the heir to the English throne) was being treated for morning sickness. The team posed as The Queen and Prince Charles... A nurse took the call as real, then forwarded the call onto the ward, where a duty nurse, assuming she was talking to the real royals, offered information as to the condition of the Duchess...)

After a great deal of guffawing all 'round, the nurse who first took the call later took her own life. (The term, 'Died Of Embarrassment' seems truly apt...)

(I'm not a fan of practical jokes.... Yet, these 'shock-jock' deejays are being demonised by the press because of an ill-judged prank....)

Any thoughts, you lot?

xx Steph.

Imbecile! - de som empire
Si nos efforts te delevraient,
Tes baisers ressuseraient
Le cadavere de ton Wampyr! (Baudelaire.)
(I'll ATTEMPT a free translation...)
"Idiot! Even if our efforts were
To deliver you from Her empire,
Your kisses would bring back to life
The corpse of your beloved Vampire."
EVERYONE WHO SPEAKS FRENCH: "THat isn't quite correct..."
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 9:30:08 AM

Sounds like she was a weak woman. Radio stations have been calling people for a long time. She fucked up and couldn't handle it so she took the easy way out. Meh
Buz
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 9:31:38 AM

They used poor judgement and went too far. Is it really humor to humiliate someone in public? I have enjoyed listening to funny pranks by radio shock jocks myself in the past but I think these shock jocks pushed it too far and are just reaping what they sewed.

I wonder if there will be a wrongful death lawsuit forthcoming. Their problems may have just started.

We talk about civilized society being one that takes up for the weak but when it comes down to that do we actually practice that? Those radio jocks did their stunt for profit!!!! Yes they deserve outrage.

stephanie
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 9:39:33 AM

chefkathleen wrote:
Sounds like she was a weak woman. Radio stations have been calling people for a long time. She fucked up and couldn't handle it so she took the easy way out. Meh

Surely a little harsh, Kath?

Suicide is not really an easy way out of anything, in my opinion....

xx SF

Imbecile! - de som empire
Si nos efforts te delevraient,
Tes baisers ressuseraient
Le cadavere de ton Wampyr! (Baudelaire.)
(I'll ATTEMPT a free translation...)
"Idiot! Even if our efforts were
To deliver you from Her empire,
Your kisses would bring back to life
The corpse of your beloved Vampire."
EVERYONE WHO SPEAKS FRENCH: "THat isn't quite correct..."
crazydiamond
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 9:43:25 AM

Funnily enough I was discussing this last night with a lush friend, it's tragic, but surely there would have to be an underlying mental health issue. I doubt this was the sole cause.

freakycactus
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 9:56:42 AM

crazydiamond wrote:
Funnily enough I was discussing this last night with a lush friend, it's tragic, but surely there would have to be an underlying mental health issue. I doubt this was the sole cause.

I agree that this wasn't the sole cause, but they were still out of line for making the call in the first place.

Dancing_Doll
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 9:59:22 AM

Wrong.

The DJs are absolutely to blame for this truly tasteless joke. It's one thing to run a prank on someone in a private setting, but this prank involved possibly jeopardizing someone's job. That is way out of bounds as far as cheap comedy goes. This hospital is renowned for it's privacy when it comes to the Royals and this poor woman happened to be filling in on Switchboard that day. People don't get what a huge deal it is to have something go wrong and fuck up on the job, especially when it comes to the Royal Family and their privacy requirements. I'm not even from the UK, but I know it's a HUGE deal. And especially in front of the entire nation, causing public humiliation and embarrassment. Yes, I'm sure it would have blown over in time, but it hit this nurse in the wrong way at probably the worst possible time.

Know your victim if you want to pull a prank. Publicly picking on a private person you don't know, jeopardizing their job and humiliating them in a way that will get national attention for their professional 'mistake' is not cool. Pranks are fine when it gets a mutual laugh and the whole "ah, ya got me" reaction. If you don't know the sensitivity level of the person you're pranking, then think twice.

Buz
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 10:16:51 AM

Dancing_Doll wrote:
Wrong. Know your victim if you want to pull a prank. Publicly picking on a private person you don't know, jeopardizing their job and humiliating them in a way that will get national attention for their professional 'mistake' is not cool. Pranks are fine when it gets a mutual laugh and the whole "ah, ya got me" reaction. If you don't know the sensitivity level of the person you're pranking, then think twice.

Absolutely correct!!!!

It is one thing to prank your friends when you know them and their limits. They almost will always laugh along with you. But in this case these radio jocks pranked this nurse live on the air, endangering her job and career. Sure she might have had some other issues going on at the time, but that is not uncommon. Everyone has a time when they are going through a rough time. What they did was unacceptable. I hope those radio personalities have ruined their own careers and this serves as notice to arrogant assholes everywhere making public FINANCIAL PROFIT at the expense of someone else's emotions.

Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 10:18:46 AM

Dancing_Doll wrote:
Wrong.

The DJs are absolutely to blame for this truly tasteless joke. It's one thing to run a prank on someone in a private setting, but this prank involved possibly jeopardizing someone's job. That is way out of bounds as far as cheap comedy goes. This hospital is renowned for it's privacy when it comes to the Royals and this poor woman happened to be filling in on Switchboard that day. People don't get what a huge deal it is to have something go wrong and fuck up on the job, especially when it comes to the Royal Family and their privacy requirements. I'm not even from the UK, but I know it's a HUGE deal. And especially in front of the entire nation, causing public humiliation and embarrassment. Yes, I'm sure it would have blown over in time, but it hit this nurse in the wrong way at probably the worst possible time.

Know your victim if you want to pull a prank. Publicly picking on a private person you don't know, jeopardizing their job and humiliating them in a way that will get national attention for their professional 'mistake' is not cool. Pranks are fine when it gets a mutual laugh and the whole "ah, ya got me" reaction. If you don't know the sensitivity level of the person you're pranking, then think twice.

absolutely agree!
Mazza
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 10:32:07 AM

chefkathleen wrote:

I'm inclined to be more with you on this one, Chef...

At no point was any blame put on this woman and in fact she only seems to have spoken very briefly with the callers before transferring it to the ward.

No complaint was made by the royal family to the hospital, so as far as I can see, the woman made a slight error of judgement, that is all... Why go on and take your own life for that?

In my opinion, which has been mentioned above, there were many other things going on for her...

I despise suicide and those who threaten it - to leave behind a husband and kids is truly an awful thing to do. I've seen families and the devastation left when someone takes their own life. I'm not saying it's the easy way out, obviously it's a huge decision, but come on....

Whether we like pranks or not, they have gone on since year dot. Thing is, most people DO like them... Think of the popularity of someone like Howard Stern, or furor caused when Orson Welles' released his radio play of War of the Worlds, allegedly causing such panic at the time, that there was HUGE outrage at him...

Quote:
The War of the Worlds is an episode of the American radio drama anthology series The Mercury Theatre on the Air. It was performed as a Halloween episode of the series on October 30, 1938, and aired over the Columbia Broadcasting System radio network. Directed and narrated by actor and future filmmaker Orson Welles, the episode was an adaptation of H. G. Wells' novel The War of the Worlds (1898).

The first two thirds of the 60-minute broadcast were presented as a series of simulated news bulletins, which suggested to many listeners that an actual alien invasion by Martians was currently in progress. Compounding the issue was the fact that, the Mercury Theatre on the Air was a sustaining show (it ran without commercial breaks), adding to the program's realism. Although there were sensationalist accounts in the press about a supposed panic in response to the broadcast, the precise extent of listener response has been debated.

In the days following the adaptation, however, there was widespread outrage and panic by certain listeners, who had believed the events described in the program were real.[1] The program's news-bulletin format was described as cruelly deceptive by some newspapers and public figures, leading to an outcry against the perpetrators of the broadcast. The episode secured Welles's fame.

There's a fine line to such cutting edge stuff and the perpetrators don't always get it right...

My point being that I don't see how the pranksters can be held directly responsible for this woman's choice to take her own life. That was her decision and hers alone. True, this might have been the final straw for her, the thing that ultimately pushed her over the edge, but we do not know that and can merely speculate. I'd hazard a guess that her mind was probably already made up...

we can never truly know...

VanGogh
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 10:32:18 AM

chefkathleen wrote:

Whoa!! Easy way out??

You sure have a lot of compassion and empathy.

A Milf series combined with Office Sex *fans face* .... The Secretary and The Student
starting with The Secretary and The Student - first part

Enjoy!!

For the Anal Lovers .... come enjoy my RR honoured An Alluring Ass

Another Sex in the Office Poem (I know you love those!!) In Your Office

Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 11:29:21 AM

Anyway you look at it, it's a sad thing to have happen. Obviously the woman had issues, and this prank call somehow triggered something, or she used it as an excuse for something she had been planning to do anyway.

To bad nobody saw the warning signs and reached out to her.
LadyX
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 12:05:21 PM

Come on, now. The only people who call suicides cowardly are the people who would never fathom doing it themselves. It's callous to suggest the people take their own lives as some sort of "escape hatch" from responsibility. People sort through all sorts of demons, most of which the rest of us are never aware. And when they succomb to them, or threaten to, it's terrible when loved ones are left to pick up the pieces, but its really not about anyone else when it comes to that inner battle. Suicide threats generally aren't made on a whim or as part of some head game; needless to say, suicidal people would much rather not be suicidal.

That said, shitty as the prank might have been, foolish as they were to pull it in these circumstances, I'm not sure the death can be laid at their feet completely. Wacky FM deejays go for the ratings, nothing new there. And there was no way to know somebody would die as a result. With benefit of hindsight, I'm sure that whole radio crew would've just stayed home that day.
SITTING
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 1:17:36 PM

Being British, this has been on the news for a few days now and it makes me sad more than anything. The nurse had a full family life, children and everything and OK, maybe she was suffering from other problems but this tasteless prank pushed her over the edge. Knowing that the hoax call was pre-recorded by 2day FM and the airing approved by the radio stations mangement just goes to show how avoidable his tragedy could have been. I don't think anyone can be blamed for the death as such but it still gives out a clear message about just how serious these 'harmless pranks' can be.
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 1:19:05 PM

chefkathleen wrote:

Suicide is absolutely not the 'easy way out'. Suicide occurs when the mind has no where else to turn but upon itself.

As has been said here, I agree that this was nothing more than the cherry on the cake for her....but that doesn't make it acceptable. The media is a total piss take. That's the be all and end all.
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 1:23:27 PM

Waking up this morning, to this story the first thought I had was thatsomething else must have happened. It is rare indeed for one event to trigger suicide. The focus has been upon the prank, there are pranks that occur all the time and the results can range from, hey you got me, to outright anger and frustration.

The decision the nurse made was in my view as a result of many life events, rather than this prank in and of itself.

I don't know enough to make more of an observation regarding the nurses state of mind, but I can say I'm pretty sure it wasn't due to weakness and it wasn't cowardly either.

A sad story indeed, I too wish someone had seen the signs. Although quite often once the decision is made the person won't always display what we would see as signs of depression.

I don't think the blame game helps anyone in cases of this nature.

My two penn'orth
Rembacher
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 1:47:34 PM

I read about this story on a Canadian news website and most of the comments on the story were calling this prank a form of bullying. I agree with that assessment. Not only did the DJs make a fool of her in the moment, they recorded it and broadcast it on the internet making her professional mistake world wide comic fodder. It would have blown over eventually, but until it did, there would be very few people in the world who did not know about it.

This nurse was covering for a job she didn't normally do. It's easy to understand that her stress level would have been higher than normal based on that alone. And who knows what else was troubling her at that time. I don't believe this was the only event leading to her suicide, but I do believe it was a contributing factor. When bullying someone, we never know whether our "little bit of fun" will be the hurt to push someone over the edge.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 2:08:18 PM

It wasn't the only thing to push her over the edge, and we know radio panks are common fodder.

My main issue is that it affected her on a professional humiliation level and the people behind the prank had to know this.

It's one thing to call some old biddie on the phone and tell her she's won the sweepstakes or that it's the Queen calling to wish her a happy birthday and have the person fall for it and everyone gets a good laugh. The issue was that they caused her to compromise procedure at work and this was exposed nationally. Whether the Royals complained or not, it's affected the reputation of the hospital as one of complete privacy and discretion. Yes, she was in the wrong, but she was filling in for someone else. I'm sure the hospital wouldn't have fired her over this but there is no doubt in my mind, there were meetings called afterward with senior hospital execs to review the situation and make official apologies. This takes a prank beyond the point of a harmless joke. There's no doubt a lot of things were going wrong in her life at the time. Maybe she had marital and family issues and her job was her one place of escape where she felt a sense of belonging and purpose. Then to be publicly humiliated and probably internally disciplined for the error just tipped her over her breaking point. It's one thing to make a job error, another for it to be one that involves the Royal Family and have it exposed all over social media.

Obviously the DJs didn't intend for it to happen. But... it's a matter of rethinking the concept of telephone pranking and making sure that it's not overstepping the bounds of decency and not possibly affecting the victim on a professional level with such national attention.

vtcmr
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 2:48:18 PM

I agree with chefkathleen.

To all those saying that it's the radio duo's fault and how it could have been prevented if they didn't humiliate her, I say, no, it's her own fault. It was her life, she took it and noone else. The pranksters weren't saying that they'd kill her family if she didn't commit suicide or torturing her or anything. She made a fuckup at work involving the royal family. Some of you say that the pranksters deserve the outrage for fucking up. Have you not considered how this can drive them to suicide too? Oh, but they deserve it since they fucked up right? But wait, didn't the nurse fuck up by not following protocol? Isn't it her own fault then? It's sad that she's dead and I wouldn't blame her friends/family for grieving her death, but it IS her own fault, make no mistake about that.

For those saying that they should't have done that, because they didn't know the woman wouldn't commit suicide, and it could have been avoided, you're hypocrites! Shall we stop driving cars now, because deaths on the road could be avoided that way? No, we take that risk because for society as a whole, being able to drive is worth the risks. For some who say, "is it worth the risk now that she's dead?", I say yes. The risk was still the same, it doesn't shoot to 1 all of a sudden. This was one of a million possibilities. It happened and it's not the fault of the pranksters. Like LadyX says:
Quote:
With benefit of hindsight, I'm sure that whole radio crew would've just stayed home that day.

For those saying that suicide is not the easy way out, when you've got limited options and they all involve living a life of hell (because I'm sure the phone call wasn't the only thing that contributed to this) or dying and experiencing nothingness, yes it is. It's why a lot of depressed people take drugs, even though they make them numb to emotion. It's because no emotion is better than intense unhappiness and discontedness, in the same way that no life is better than a life of hell.
MoonlightSerenity
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 3:14:01 PM

To all those who think suicide is the easy way out - go and curl up in a corner.

To all those who are interested in what I have to say here - http://www.simplypsychology.org/hofling-obedience.html This experiment kinda sums up what I think happened to her when she took that call. And from other research like this I believe that all the radio prank calls should be stopped.

I feel sorry for her and her family. I hope her family can get over what has happened.

Teased and Tormented -My very first story and competition entry is now up!
principessa
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 3:21:56 PM

I think that humiliating people publicly is not entertainment. I do not like pranks because someone is always hurt. This applies to the idiots who did this. This nurse may well have had other issues, but that does not vitiate their part in what happened to her if, as it seems, they brought it to a critical mass and caused her to do this. It is not the easy way out. It is indicative of deep problems and desperation. How is it moral to push someone over the edge? Of course, you don't know that a stranger is in that state, which is precisely the reason you should not do it.

The only people who may be fair game are public figures, as when Sarah Palin was contacted by djs in the 2008 election, exposing her ignorance and stupidity in believing that the President of France (if I remember correctly) was calling to talk to her. Ignorance, hypocrisy, and pomposity in public figures may be an appropriate target. Making an ordinary person look foolish or gullible is not. The fact that so many people would find this amusing (before the suicide) shows a dumbing down and lack of empathy in society in general.

What might have been an error in judgement which might have been understood by her employer was blown up into a public humiliation worldwide. That is why it matters that the djs did this. That is why it is unforgivable. Whether she was predisposed to do this is not the issue.

Pranks like filling someone's office from floor to ceiling with balloons while they are out to celebrate a milestone birthday are not hurtful. Anything that embarasses, hurts, or humiliates is not a prank. It is bullying. That should not have entertainment value.

Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 3:27:38 PM

vtcmr wrote:
I agree with chefkathleen.

To all those saying that it's the radio duo's fault and how it could have been prevented if they didn't humiliate her, I say, no, it's her own fault. It was her life, she took it and noone else. The pranksters weren't saying that they'd kill her family if she didn't commit suicide or torturing her or anything. She made a fuckup at work involving the royal family. Some of you say that the pranksters deserve the outrage for fucking up. Have you not considered how this can drive them to suicide too? Oh, but they deserve it since they fucked up right? But wait, didn't the nurse fuck up by not following protocol? Isn't it her own fault then? It's sad that she's dead and I wouldn't blame her friends/family for grieving her death, but it IS her own fault, make no mistake about that.

For those saying that they should't have done that, because they didn't know the woman wouldn't commit suicide, and it could have been avoided, you're hypocrites! Shall we stop driving cars now, because deaths on the road could be avoided that way? No, we take that risk because for society as a whole, being able to drive is worth the risks. For some who say, "is it worth the risk now that she's dead?", I say yes. The risk was still the same, it doesn't shoot to 1 all of a sudden. This was one of a million possibilities. It happened and it's not the fault of the pranksters. Like LadyX says:

For those saying that suicide is not the easy way out, when you've got limited options and they all involve living a life of hell (because I'm sure the phone call wasn't the only thing that contributed to this) or dying and experiencing nothingness, yes it is. It's why a lot of depressed people take drugs, even though they make them numb to emotion. It's because no emotion is better than intense unhappiness and discontedness, in the same way that no life is better than a life of hell.

I don't blame the djs for the sucide, but i do blame them for humiliating the nurse in front of the world, and the media aftermath for heaping more & more garbage on the poor woman's head.
Driving is a risk, of course but I drive to get from place to place easily, not to publicly embarrass people whose job it is to care for sick & vulnerable people in hospital.
BabydollSlave
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 3:30:17 PM

Dancing_Doll wrote:
It wasn't the only thing to push her over the edge, and we know radio panks are common fodder.

My main issue is that it affected her on a professional humiliation level and the people behind the prank had to know this.

Obviously the DJs didn't intend for it to happen. But... it's a matter of rethinking the concept of telephone pranking and making sure that it's not overstepping the bounds of decency and not possibly affecting the victim on a professional level with such national attention.

i completely agree..there is a hard line to funniness/jokes and people need to use their hearts and brains before doing these stunts...or maybe they just dont care?

i feel for her young children and what they have to now live with :( tragic

my newest :)
VanGogh
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 3:41:33 PM

I am happy to see/read that compassion and empathy hasn't been lost. After reading the many Tweets and a few different newspaper articles, I have wondered if the "prank" was really that funny. Did anyone hear it?

Btw - greats posts in this thread.

A Milf series combined with Office Sex *fans face* .... The Secretary and The Student
starting with The Secretary and The Student - first part

Enjoy!!

For the Anal Lovers .... come enjoy my RR honoured An Alluring Ass

Another Sex in the Office Poem (I know you love those!!) In Your Office

principessa
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 3:45:16 PM

I heard it. All the poor woman did was answer the phone and pass the call to the nurses' station where Kate was being cared for. If anyone really made a mistake, it was the nurse who then answered and revealed information about Kate to the djs.

doctorlove
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 4:12:14 PM

principessa wrote:
I heard it. All the poor woman did was answer the phone and pass the call to the nurses' station where Kate was being cared for. If anyone really made a mistake, it was the nurse who then answered and revealed information about Kate to the djs.

Don't forget about the djs. Might just be something in giving people privacy. Don't ya think?
doctorlove
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 4:13:12 PM

No one is to blame for the suicide....
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 5:10:53 PM

there must have been something deeper for her to do that.
crazydiamond
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 5:24:33 PM

principessa wrote:

Exactly, and this is a horrid tragic occurance, that I get.
But For one second, if this poor soul had not taken her life and instead was made the millionth 15 second celebrity, no one would be discussing this.
They would be bitching that she was a media whore, and taking advantage of her 15 Minutes.

I am in no way downplaying the seriousness of the trdagedy, it is indeed horrible, but this would be nothing other than the norm in regular circumstances, what changes it is the tradgedy only.

I am not saying what the dj's did was correct or ok in any way, but neither is a witch hunt.
In all sense really, has it even been proven that one is related to the other? No one knows her background , or issues she may have been dealing with.
Or once again is it media running the show, and telling us what we ought to believe?

vtcmr
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 5:29:18 PM

brigit wrote:

I don't blame the djs for the sucide, but i do blame them for humiliating the nurse in front of the world, and the media aftermath for heaping more & more garbage on the poor woman's head.
Driving is a risk, of course but I drive to get from place to place easily, not to publicly embarrass people whose job it is to care for sick & vulnerable people in hospital.

I disagree with you, I wouldn't blame them for humiliating her, I don't believe they were malicious. I think most people would agree there. Their intent was not to hurt her, it was simply to see if they could fake an accent good enough to get past a hospital famous for its privacy for their amusement. I don't know about blaming the media, I haven't really read too much about it, except one article on the fact that the call happened (this website is the first i've heard of the suicide), but with the state of the world's media as it is, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they acted callously.

On driving to get from A to B, IMHO, that's irrelevant. You're putting others at risk (though maybe infinitesimal) for your own gain (though you could argue it's to facilitate your own survival if you only use it for a long commute for the closest job you could get to allow good odds of survival). The pranksters also put her at risk for their own gain, in this case, their amusement. They didn't think, but nor do you when you take a drive to somewhere for a holiday/break, for example. It just happens. For that reason, I wouldn't blame them for humiliating her. I just don't think they saw that as a possible outcome. They just wanted a bit of a laugh and they just went with it. This wasn't a bully/victim scenario, as prinicpessa seems to think. It was a joke that went sour.