Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Death penalty Options · View
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 12:47:37 AM

Should every state have the death penalty after what happened to the two missing 8 yr old girls in iowa? I think so
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 2:55:53 PM

Moving this thread to the Tank.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 4:05:54 PM

robert_1982 wrote:
Should every state have the death penalty after what happened to the two missing 8 yr old girls in iowa? I think so

The topic search button here, Robert... a nice tool to utilize.

http://www.lushstories.com/forum/yaf_search.aspx

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
kylie_kained
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 5:28:18 PM

I agree that the death penalty can be a good thing to use but the process of carrying it out needs to be long enough that innocent people are not given it because the process was to short. I'm English and wish that the U.K also re-introduced the death penalty here there are too many long term prisoners with no hope of release which then becomes a burden on the tax payer.

foxjack
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 5:44:12 PM

I don't believe in the death penalty, it kills too many innocent people and it costs way too much per shot. Plus as far as punishment goes it'd be the easy way out if it wasn’t for the TV’s and stuff in prison.
Buz
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 8:37:17 PM

The various states in the USA have a the ability to enact many unique laws depending upon the voters of that particular state. Let the states regulate and enact that law accordingly.

Personally I do not trust politically elected district attorneys to pursue and prosecute death penalty cases.

keoloke
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 7:44:25 PM

robert_1982 wrote:

Why do you think so?

I do not agree!

1) An innocent can pay the ultimate prize. Has happened.

2) Texas (US) is by far the number one in capital punishment. State of Texas is not any safer.

3) Capital punishment cost about five times as much than life in prison and it takes about 20 years.

4) Why end a life when he/she can rotten in jail till the end. Every day thinking about it.

5) Execution doesn't bring closure. Imagine the inmate crying (many do) and begging for forgiveness? The family has to live their life with that sight in their mind.

6) I do not mean that this people should get a degree while serving the sentence. No rehabilitation needed.

7) Years ago a man named Grasso from NY was sentenced to life in prison for killing. This man asked to be transferred from NY to Oklahoma were I believe some crimes were committed so he could get the death penalty, instead of spending his life (he was about 30) in prison. Guess what? His wish was granted.

What are your thoughts on this?

Choose n Practice Happiness

Life is simple; we are what we eat and what we read. Talk is superfluous.
Buz
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 7:55:23 PM

keoloke wrote:
5) Execution doesn't bring closure. Imagine the inmate crying (many do) and begging for forgiveness? The family has to live their life with that sight in their mind.

I disagree with that statement . While I don't trust district attorneys and the corrupt judicial systems throughout the world to apply death penalty verdicts fairly, I personally would feel closure if someone who murdered one of my loved ones was executed. If they were left alive rotting in jail I'd still know that they were eating, sleeping and breathing.

I don't disagree with the morality of the death penalty just that it is not carried out without discrimination and many of those convicted are really innocent. Until the judicial system can guarantee that 100% of the time the correct felon is convicted then the death penalty should not be carried out.

elitfromnorth
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2012 5:37:00 AM

The death penalty is against the main principle of the judicial system. Death penalty isn't punishing someone, it's satisfying the public's need for revenge. It's there for emotional reasons only. There is no logic behind it. It's more expensive and doesn't necessarily bring closure. Living every day in a cell and being told when to eat, when to sleep, when you're allowed to breathe fresh air, it's a much worse punishment than getting a lethal injection.

Not to mention if the justice system fucks up. You have 12 ordinary people saying yes or no. Sitting in the court room they've already read about it in the media, who have problem already done their job by branding the accused of being guilty. In this day and age it's difficult to get a 100% fair trial unless you had 12 judges deliberating.

And how many have had their cases re opened and been found innocent once technology have been developed? How many hanged, electrocuted and injected that would have been free if they had had the benefit of DNA?

Death penalty doesn't work as a deterrent either. US has one of the biggest crime rates around and more gun killings than any first world countries per capita. There's no use!

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
PhareDuFour
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2012 4:30:44 PM

I oppose it out of economic reasons. An execution, including trial costs, appeals, attorney costs, and internment on death row is far more expensive than a life sentence. It also does not serve as a deterent to lower crime. These have been backed up with imperical information. That being said, life imprisonment is simply more economical.

Si vos postulo me, sed non vis me, oportet me manere.
Sed si vis me, sed non vos postulo me, oportet me abire.
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 2:25:09 AM

Lethal injection costs less than $20 and hanging can't cost much and neither can the electric chair but it costs $60,000 to keep a inmate on death row per year
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 2:33:50 AM

Plus with DNA and all the forensics the innocent on death row are getting few and far between
overmykneenow
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 3:06:39 AM

robert_1982 wrote:
Lethal injection costs less than $20 and hanging can't cost much and neither can the electric chair but it costs $60,000 to keep a inmate on death row per year

$20 you say - closer to $300million in California...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jun/20/california-death-penalty-execution-costs

Other costs...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17210285

Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
DLizze
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 9:48:49 PM

I believe putting a convicted criminal to death is a reasonable action, but not under most of the laws currently in force. I do not think that someone who murders a single individual, for a specific reason, is as likely to murder again as someone who, for example, blows up a government building in Oklahoma. I also believe there are "crimes of passion" in which an individual is unlikely to repeat the crime. Should those people be put to death? I think not. On the other hand, an arsonist, (whose act clearly endangers the lives of many) should be subject to careful consideration, and the death sentence should remain an option. I believe we need to reconsider our entire penal system, and we need to re-vamp it, removing revenge and retribution as the major driving forces behind the system. I further believe that the entire concept of "life inprisonment without possibility of parole" is in-humane. If an individual is so sociopathic as to be a permanent menace to society while alive, why should society keep him (or her) alive? BUt I also believe capital punishment should not be an option unless factual evidence alone is overwhelming proof of the individual's guilt. In other words, I do not believe that "guilt beyond a reasonable doubt" should be sufficient evidence to put someone to death.

"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
keoloke
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 8:11:09 PM

elitfromnorth wrote:
The death penalty is against the main principle of the judicial system. Death penalty isn't punishing someone, it's satisfying the public's need for revenge. It's there for emotional reasons only. There is no logic behind it. It's more expensive and doesn't necessarily bring closure. Living every day in a cell and being told when to eat, when to sleep, when you're allowed to breathe fresh air, it's a much worse punishment than getting a lethal injection.

Not to mention if the justice system fucks up. You have 12 ordinary people saying yes or no. Sitting in the court room they've already read about it in the media, who have problem already done their job by branding the accused of being guilty. In this day and age it's difficult to get a 100% fair trial unless you had 12 judges deliberating.

And how many have had their cases re opened and been found innocent once technology have been developed? How many hanged, electrocuted and injected that would have been free if they had had the benefit of DNA?

Death penalty doesn't work as a deterrent either. US has one of the biggest crime rates around and more gun killings than any first world countries per capita. There's no use!

Well done, I totally agree.

People that stresses for capital punishment, usually are just (rightfully) enraged and want a quick fix or closure to a problem.
The alleged guilty will not be stoned to death the next day in a public square

Capital punishment, it’s not quick and it does not bring the needed closure.

Choose n Practice Happiness

Life is simple; we are what we eat and what we read. Talk is superfluous.