Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

At least 18 children and 9 others dead in Connecticut school shooting. Does this change your mind ab Options · View
Kinky_Becky
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 4:28:01 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/10/2012
Posts: 683
Location: Home, United States
Absolutely not. If someone made a bomb out of cow manure and blew the entire school up, would it change your mind about feces control? I'm not exactly a gun lobbyist, but I don't think these events ever change people's opinions. No more than it would if someone with a concealed permit had taken him out the second he pulled the gun would make you against gun control.

I am so tired of people wanting to blame everyone else. It's violent video games. It's violent movies. Why don't we just blame the news media for giving people ideas by publicizing the stories?

The only person to blame is the one who committed the crime. Period. Now, if you would like to look into research to identify ways to prevent future occurrences, I'm all for it. To date, NOTHING supports that stricter gun laws curb violence. Case in point, New York City versus the entire state of Texas. Also, I don't know of anyone that pulls footballs away to make their friends fly through the air, calls anyone "Blockhead," or calls ACME for explosives, despite the much more violent and bullyish cartoons we watched as kids.

Of course I know, you should only listen to the facts when they support your point of view, right?

That1NJGuy
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 4:28:12 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/6/2010
Posts: 2,326
Location: United States
I am deeply troubled with what happened today in CT. I cannot imagine what these people are feeling.

I know these mass killings are done by people who are deeply disturbed. No gun laws or controls are going to stop those who really want to get a gun of any type.

As a society keep an eye on your family and friends. If/when you ask or be asked "How are you doing?" Be honest. If you're troubled let others know. It's not about being macho or anything like that. If they really care about you, they will help.

As a parent give your/our kids and extra hug and kiss tonight.
tazznjazz
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 4:32:02 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 4/30/2012
Posts: 329
Location: under bright lights, United States
NightFox wrote:
In my opinion, gun control will not matter in tragic killings like this. Hear me out here; I’m not rejecting gun control, but think about it, if someone is distraught and in an unstable mind, they will find a way to get guns, whether it be to illegally obtain it or not. The news mentioned if you notice someone you know being stressed to get them help, and I agree. You never know if it's more than stress or not, or what a person is capable of in an unstable place of mind.


This shooter had a flack jacket and several weapons, just like the Colorado killer, and these things are obtainable to the average person?? It's a very complicated moral question about gun control, but Nightfox is correct in stating that the public should be more proactive in preventing these tragic events.

My heart goes out to those who have lost loved ones from yet another senseless act.
Guest
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 4:39:09 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,818
Gun control won't change how the person is, as others have said on here, if they want it, they will be able to find one easily. Only thing i have to say, is when you strip everyones guns away, and something does happen. Would you rather everyone run, or that one+ civilian that has the chance to respond, and end the situation there and then. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. If you want killing to stop, then you have to make sure every human being in the world is the same, or all gone.
elitfromnorth
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 4:43:39 PM

Rank: Brawling Berserker

Joined: 2/12/2012
Posts: 1,589
Location: Burrowed, Norway
principessa wrote:
While there may be no proven link between violence in the media and games and perpetrating it on others, I do think that these movies, games, and even some music desensitize people to real violence and the impact it has on real people. Carnage may seem like an extension to a game, with no sense of how it shatters lives - real blood, real injuries, real people.


These people can just as well get their "inspiration" from a book if they're already so fucked that they can't see the difference between fiction/entertainment and reality. Blaming it on stuff that's for entertainment is just looking for an excuse that's easy to condem and regulate. It's easier to regulate and prevent the sales and showing of violent games and videos to kids than it is to stop any human behaviour that might lead to the same problem. If you throw the argument that children are easily affected then it's the parent's fault. Until you're 18 your parents is responsible for you, and they're also responsible for what you see and hear. They usually don't care what the age restriction on games and movies are, they just buy them or let the kid download it on their own. Usually they say "But I don't know anything about computers!", and even if that's true, it's still their responsibility to keep an eye on their kid. Too many use it as a baby sitter. As for lafayette's example of streakers there's a difference between doing something to be famous or get attention and actually killing someone. Besides, in pretty much every game the object is to kill as many as you can WHILE surviving. If this guy was to do a copy cat of a video game he wouldn't off himself.

As far as bringing phsycology in it I'm all for it, because it's the only way. Just because you bring phsycology in it doesn't immediately mean that you bring the question of phsycosis. In the trial after the 22nd of July incident the countries most leading expert in the field went in court and said he was crazy, but he wasn't phsycotic and was therefore able to make rational choises. Phsycology is the understanding of the human mind and why people act the way they do, and if we're to find the cause for crap like this, phsycology becomes a necessity. Saying that a man killing 27 people is crazy isn't wrong, because he is. The question of whether or not he's phsycotic is a different matter.

The difference between gun control and the use of explosives is that explosives require a lot more planning than simply grabbing one of your legally obtained guns and go on a shooting spree. A person that snaps is highly unlikely to start building a bomb, simply because to be able to build bombs you have to be rational in your choices. You don't have to be rational to grab your rifle and shoot someone. Comparing them is ludicrous.

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
HBmale
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 4:45:37 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/29/2012
Posts: 110
Location: So Cal, United States
How would the gov't take them away from people now? Would you give up your gun or guns? No, most likely not. Can you say black market? Didn't they do this for booze in the 20's. How did that turn out. However, I'm not sure what to say on what has happened. I'm at a loss for words, not unlike 9/11. I am sadden to the core.
99zx7r
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 4:46:18 PM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 11/3/2012
Posts: 16
xshadex wrote:
Gun control won't change how the person is, as others have said on here, if they want it, they will be able to find one easily. Only thing i have to say, is when you strip everyones guns away, and something does happen. Would you rather everyone run, or that one+ civilian that has the chance to respond, and end the situation there and then. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. If you want killing to stop, then you have to make sure every human being in the world is the same, or all gone.


Yes. Would you want me with my LEGAL Glock standing next to you or an unarmed citizen when it's your family being threatened? Stay away from me if you wouldn't want me around because I have no problem using my gun to protect the innocent.
tazznjazz
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 4:53:45 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 4/30/2012
Posts: 329
Location: under bright lights, United States
I guess arming the teachers, students and everyone is the only solution, if someone looks at you cross eyed, your justified in murdering them to protect your right to bear assault weapons! This is a sickening world we live in when a child cant go to school or a movie without fearing for their lives.
99zx7r
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 4:59:23 PM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 11/3/2012
Posts: 16
Why are you so quick to blame assault rifles? Anyone could have walked in with a shotgun or a handgun and done the same thing. Have you heard the rest of the story? Join the real world and face the facts. It isn't going to change whether guns are banned or not. If more regular people had guns, things like this might not happen.
99zx7r
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 5:00:28 PM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 11/3/2012
Posts: 16
Oh yeah. Yes, arm the teachers!
Kitanica
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 5:35:30 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 4/16/2011
Posts: 883
Location: The Sprawl, United States
The problem isn't guns. People can buy guns, doesn't matter if laws are stricter or not, he set out to intentionally harm innocent people, if he couldn't buy guns legally he would have bought the same thing off the street. making guns less accessible for the rest of us isn't the answer because it's not going to stop the individual that has made up their mind. Guns don't kill people, they're no different from powertools. we need education and prevention, guns aren't dangerous until you put them in the hands of someone with dark intentions. we need more ways to identify these people before hand and get them off the streets so they can be given the proper treatment. simply saying oh ssault weapons need to be banned isn't going to even slow men like adam down because theres thousands of gangbangers and biker gangs out there who already have them illegally. no difference at all, there's nothing any law can do to stop someone from hurting others.
LadyX
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 6:18:21 PM

Rank: Thread Mediator

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,678
Location: United States
99zx7r wrote:
Oh yeah. Yes, arm the teachers!


I'm with this guy. Clearly our country will be a better place if we're all armed at all times. And I mean everybody. Imagine how at ease and peaceful our culture will be if everyone wields loaded guns day and night. There's no reason why kids can't carry guns, too, I think. Start them out with pellet guns as toddlers, that way they can learn the hard way that opening fire on your friends at daycare is a no-no. My heart would swell with 2nd amendment gun-nuttery pride when the day comes that we all just fire off a few rounds at anyone that looks like they might be trouble. I think I could do well with a shoulder-holstered AK-47, that way I could still wear my baby Bjorn AND feel safe at the mall.

Yes, I'm pretty sure this is what the old white-hairs who drew up our founding documents had in mind. And I don't think we should stop there, really. Why not improve on it? Lets post tea partiers and minutemen at busy street corners with automatic rifles. If a commotion starts up, they can open fire. That'll put a stop to it. Accuracy might be an issue, but not if they diligently practice killing people with backyard target shooting. That way they'll be ready for the big moment.

Come to think about it...wouldn't it be better to have police or soldiers on every street corner wielding guns? After all, they're actually trained to do that stuff. What, no? Ohh, that's right! We can't trust our dastardly peace officers to rule by the end of a loaded gun, because they're agents of the liberal gubmint! Much better to have rednecks and ammo-fetish weirdos do it instead, right?

buster1959
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 6:35:41 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/15/2011
Posts: 113
Location: United States
It's not the gun that did this horrendous tragic event...He stole one of the guns from his own mothers home. We need to hold ourselves accountable for our deeds. We need tougher laws and go back to capitol punishemnt. If we had public exucutions maybe people would think twice..Stop putting the blame on guns. Did a driver thats drunk and kills a family kill the family or was it the car???
CurlyGirly
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 6:40:09 PM

Rank: CurlyFries

Joined: 10/5/2012
Posts: 1,744
Location: United States
Sure, make guns illegal just like drugs, because that's worked out so well for this country. dontknow No need to mention that whole prohibition mess.

I'm not a fan of guns and won't allow a gun in my home. I *wish* that tighter gun control laws were the answer, but they're not. angry7 That being said, I can't even pretend to know the answer to all this senseless violence.






Delphi
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 6:45:23 PM

Rank: Story Verifier

Joined: 6/30/2012
Posts: 1,205
Location: United States
No. People who want to hurt people will hurt people.
I don't own a gun. Honestly, they freak me out. I'll probably be SOL if a situation ever happens when I need one. Dead Delphi. As for those who aren't homicidal or bat shit crazy, but know enough about guns to be safe with them, let them. They may save your life one day.



The Delphi/NaughtyNurse collaboration - a Recommended Read
lisa95
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 6:55:25 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/20/2012
Posts: 112
Location: florida, United States
HELL NO NUT KILL THEY ARE VERY SICK PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD
Mazza
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 7:05:40 PM

Rank: Mazztastic

Joined: 9/20/2012
Posts: 2,855
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
We have fairly strict laws in the UK, but of course guns can still be acquired legally, and illegally...

I have no idea why someone would want to do something like this, but I can only assume that making it more difficult to acquire a weapon which makes it easy to kill so many people as easily as a gun can only be a good thing...

I've never been a fan of people carrying guns.



We've sadly had our share of gun related tragedy...

Hungerford massacre

Dunblane School Massacre


elitfromnorth
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 7:29:22 PM

Rank: Brawling Berserker

Joined: 2/12/2012
Posts: 1,589
Location: Burrowed, Norway
Seems like most pro gun people in here seem to be guaranteed that this man had all this planned days in advance and even if there had been stricter rules considering guns he would just have planned this further.

Fact; you don't know whether this was a spontaneous act or if it was planned.

Fact; if this was a spontaneous act he probably wouldn't have gotten his hands on guns if the laws had been stricter, it certainly would have made things more difficult.

Fact; many of these terrible tragedies not to mention those that take "only" one or two lives(which is one or two too many) would have been avoided had there been stricter gun control. Why? Because they are crimes of opportunity, where there's an opportunity to easily acquire a gun.

And as far as Assault rifles vs pistols goes, I guess it goes without saying that higher the calibre and the bigger the clip then the more lethal it is. An AK-47 round at close range will probably tear off a kids arm, making what's usually a non-lethal hit suddenly lethal, compared to a 9mm bullet. In many cases it's only a matter of milimeters that differes from life or death. With a smaller clip, lower fire-rate and less penetrative ammunition lives could be spared. You can't argue against it.

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
VanGogh
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 7:34:05 PM

Rank: Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado

Joined: 2/10/2012
Posts: 2,776
Location: Vancouver, Canada
elitfromnorth wrote:

Fact; if this was a spontaneous act he probably wouldn't have gotten his hands on guns if the laws had been stricter, it certainly would have made things more difficult.


Well ... here's one answer ....

Three weapons were recovered from the school: a semi-automatic .223 Bushmaster found in a car in the school parking lot, and a Glock and a Sig Sauer found with Lanza's body, a law enforcement official familiar with the investigation said. The weapons were legally purchased by Lanza's mother, the official said.

Newtown School - CNN report

For the Anal Lovers .... come enjoy my RR honoured An Alluring Ass

Another Sex in the Office Poem (I know you love those!!) In Your Office

* * * * * *
"The supreme accomplishment is to blur the line between work and play." - Arnold J. Toynbee
“Everything you can imagine is real.” - Pablo Picasso
LadyX
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 7:54:11 PM

Rank: Thread Mediator

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,678
Location: United States
PersonalAssistant wrote:


Well ... here's one answer ....

Three weapons were recovered from the school: a semi-automatic .223 Bushmaster found in a car in the school parking lot, and a Glock and a Sig Sauer found with Lanza's body, a law enforcement official familiar with the investigation said. The weapons were legally purchased by Lanza's mother, the official said.



That's awesome. Hope that Bushmaster made her feel safer. Then again, maybe she's preparing for that inevitable Chinese ground invasion on Connecticut.

Automatic rifles for no reason. It's the Amurrican way.
Ruthie
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 7:56:59 PM

Rank: Story Verifier

Joined: 10/21/2010
Posts: 2,185
Location: United States
In Michigan today state legislators made it legal to carry concealed weapons in schools, churches, day care centers and stadiums. Who is going to have a concealed weapon in school? Not the kids. They aren't even allowed to have pictures of guns in school. Are the teachers supposed to be packing heat now? Are we as a society going to depend on armed teachers to protect our kids from mad men? Who needs the guns in church, the pastor or the choir? If someone disagrees with the points of the sermon is it okay for them to stand their ground and gun down the preacher?

A stadium packed with gun carrying drunks will add even more fun to football of course. How many times have you wanted to kill someone cheering for the other team but couldn't because you weren't allowed to bring your gun into the stadium. Michigan has fixed that.

Why bother trying to fix society? Why not just arm everyone and have a big shootout?

I'm tired of hearing how those kids would have been killed even if the killer had gone into the school armed with a knife or a pack of gum or whatever. They would have had a much better chance to get away from a crazed knife man than a crazed gunman.

bill_iowa
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 8:14:24 PM

Rank: Rookie Scribe

Joined: 4/16/2011
Posts: 2
Doesn't really make me change my mind about gun control as gun control is not the answer, look at yesterday either in china or Japan i dont remember which but some guy stabbed 22 school kids with a knife, what would we do then have knife control..
Guest
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 8:16:49 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,818
Everybody ignores healthcare. I just heard tht his brother reported that the shoter had a type of personality disorder. I am still a certified therapist lthough I now teach. We re offering psychiatric treatment by proxy or totaly ignore it ike it isnt there. Until we fix that and a great many other sociatal problems this wil continue to happen it really doesnt have anything with controlling guns per say maybe taking away assault weapons would help there is no need to have that to shoot ducks or rabbits but if you ignore the workings of the mind we as a society get wht we pay for. Unfortunately the common manhas little sy in what does nd doesnt happen.
Guest
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 8:17:51 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,818
It does not matter how much 'control' we have on guns or any weapon for that matter. No matter what it is, if someone wants it, they are going to find a way to get it. So stricter gun laws would not have 'prevented' this horrible tragedy. My heart goes out to all those who were involved.
Guest
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 8:21:30 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,818
btw personality disrder or not the responsible party has to be held responsible. In this case he cannot due to his relieving himself of this responsibility.
tender_cowboy
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 8:27:48 PM

Rank: Advanced Wordsmith

Joined: 10/7/2007
Posts: 52
Location: South Dakota
Today is truly a sad day for all involved. This happened in a gun free zone will all the safe guards. Laws do not stop Criminals from doing crazy things, You left wing liberals that shoot your 1st amendment mouth off trying to take away our second amendment rights really do not under stand. Criminals will not give up there weapons be it knives guns or bombs the only thing you will do is make a lot of law abiding citizens break the law to retain our rights. Life time NRA member and avid collector of vintage and modern weapons. Bless all involved and pray for healing for the family's of this great tragedy.
MsTara
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 8:32:16 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 12/24/2011
Posts: 737
Location: Georgia, United States
No. That all those children, teachers and others died is horrible but not the fault of a weapon. A person, ill or not, committed this act. Cars themselves don't kill people, guns themselves don't kill people. People kill people.
tristalynn2000
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 8:40:23 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/6/2012
Posts: 249
Location: United States
so sad such a sad dayi have 4 children wouldnt know what id do if somthing like this happened to them i broke down and cried and then i texted each one of them and told them i love them very much my heart and prays go out to each of the families of the lost loved onessympathies to each and everyone of them and so close to christmas such a sad sad day
DLizze
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 8:51:01 PM

Rank: Story Verifier

Joined: 4/23/2011
Posts: 2,521
LAdyx said (in part) "Automatic rifles for no reason."

Fact:
Three weapons were recovered from the school: a semi-automatic .223 Bushmaster found in a car in the school parking lot, and a Glock and a Sig Sauer found with Lanza's body, a law enforcement official familiar with the investigation said. The weapons were legally purchased by Lanza's mother, the official said.

Fact: None of the weapons recovered was an "automatic" weapon. They were all semi-automatic.

Fact: The federal assault weapons ban defined as a prohibited assault weapon any semiautomatic rifle with a detachable magazine and at least two of the following five items: a folding or telescopic stock; a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; a bayonet mount; a flash suppressor or threaded barrel (a barrel that can accommodate a flash suppressor); or a grenade launcher. The act also defined as a prohibited assault weapon semi-automatic pistols that weighed more than 50 ounces when unloaded or included a barrel shroud, and barred the manufacture of magazines capable of carrying more than 10 rounds.

The firearms used in this particular act do not fall into the category of "assault weapons" under the Federal definition. The firearms used in this incident were not automatic weapons.
Regardless of how I feel about firearm ownership, it irks me no end when people incorrectly use terms, particularly when those terms are likely to cause outrage.

I also suspect the Remington "Bushmaster", unless some of the people were shot from the parking lot, will be discovered not to have been used; that all the school murders were committed with the handguns. (This last is merely my guess, based on my knowing what it takes to use a rifle, as opposed to a handgun, in close quarters.)

"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
dan711
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 9:14:44 PM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 1/22/2012
Posts: 49
Location: usa
it was the fault of the person, not the guns. The same as saying it was the pencil that made the math mistake, not the fault of the person holing it..
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.