Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

At least 18 children and 9 others dead in Connecticut school shooting. Does this change your mind ab Options · View
Marshall_Lewis
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 9:19:58 PM

Let the teachers of America pack a gun in there desk, post signs all over the school grounds, that teachers are armed and trained any attempt of act of harming a kid will be meet with deadly force. We have to fight back. How long have drugs been illegal? An there are still a huge problem. IF teachers were armed, would we have any kids harmed today. I know there are some people here who are anti-guns, and there going to tell me this post is ignorant, but just think if somebody in that school was armed, would we have any children dead. Guns don't kill people. People do.
LadyX
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 9:20:07 PM

Really nailed me on that technicality, DLizze. I take it all back. It's a good thing she had those guns after all, I guess. Kept the murderer from procuring deadly weapons outside the family circle.
the_joker
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 10:34:56 PM

all i have to say is if u own a fire arm then u should be checked to see if u are mentally sound.... if u are not then ur fire arms should be handed over.... people... gun control starts with being a mentally sound person
kputt6912
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 11:48:17 PM

GUNS DON"T KILL PEOPLE,PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE!!!Armed guards,professionally trained teachers or teachers aids,better security measures,etc could've prevented this and past incidences.FBI reported 750,000 crimes were stopped or prevented by ARMED citizens in 2012!! Don't blame the gun,blame the HUMAN RACE!!!Open your eyes people,humans are war like creatures,why? Because HUMANS kill for the pure pleasure of killing!!NO OTHER animal on the planet does that!!
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 1:26:42 AM

Oh, I'm sorry, are people still talking about how everyone needs guns?

Eye roll. Here in the UK next to no one owns a gun....and it's not exactly caused the 'people that kill the people, who also have access to a gun' to break into our houses and murder us in our beds as we lie there afraid and gunless.

After all the shootings that take place in America I find it incredibly difficult to believe that there haven't been laws put in place to stop the majority of people from getting a gun.

I mean, if I went batshit crazy....I wouldn't even know where to start looking for a gun. And that's how it should be. Making guns harder to get hold of will absolutely lesson the regularity of this kind of thing.

And for everyone saying 'he could have done it with a knife, with a this, with a that'. Guns are instant and guns can be used from a distance. This guy could, perhaps, have been overpowered by a teacher if he'd simply had a knife, for instance.

Tragedies would still happen even if guns were harder to get hold of, but wouldn't it be nice to attempt to lessen the regularity and severity of these instances.
kravewet
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 2:29:03 AM

the law as to change in a lot of country's it as got out of hand seem like the law maker's don't care
elitfromnorth
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 3:05:46 AM

Great how people compare with the prohibition on booze. Good to see that you have such faith in the police, the men and women that go on the job risking their lives every day to make your life safer, that you think they'll be just as corrupt and disorganized as in the 20's.

And for those that want armed teachers: are you guys fucking mental??? What's gonna stop an angry student to hit a teacher from behind, grab the gun and start shooting wild. If you mean locked down in each classroom then keys can be stolen. Don't think the schools will be able to afford biometric scanners. And what's to stop a teacher going postal with a gun he can have right there? For fuck's sake...

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
Marshall_Lewis
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 5:26:56 AM

Dont arm all of the staff. Arm one in each grade level. Give nobody info on which member of the staff have it. The only people who now are the superintendent and the princpal. We had a armed cop at are school for my Jr and Sr year, we had the bomb dogs, drug dogs, and regular lockdowns to were they would bring in the Police and search every locker. They had a door lock system to were if your name wasnt in the computer you didnt get in. The fear of nowing somebody in the school was armed made everybody think twice about acting in violence. Us as students were able to walk through the hallways safer knowing we wasnt going to get stabbed. You may not have to arm all the staff just one or two in each part of the building that you need something more than a key to access, voice, keypad, things of that nature.
gr8guy2
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 5:30:10 AM

Saying prayers for the families in conjunction to the Connecticut School Shooting:
But taking Americans rights away won't change a thing, other then we will be more vulnerable to the government. It is a know fact that death accures more with knifes, bats, automobiles, est. No one can blame stupidity on a gun. I for one believe and fight for our rights, and the 2nd Amendment is the biggest one that the government is trying to strip away from us. It is a known fact by state to state, that the states that allow law abiding citizens carry a gun, gun violence is at a low. If someone breaks into your house, and your so called against the 2nd amendment, who do you call. The police. A little known fact. On a police officers waist, they carry O.C which is an aerosol chemical also known as pepper spray (which is not used to much now days), An extendable baton, which is a deadly weapon, handcuffs, a taser gun, flashlight, and of course a GUN with at least two back up magazine. So if your against the 2nd amendment, next time someone breaks into your home, go downstairs and protect yourself with your pillow, don't bother calling law enforcement. If you call law enforcement, they will come to your house with their firearm drawn. If their is a time when your in a hostage situation, please dont call SWAT, which stands for Special Weapons And Tactics. You know, cause assault riffles and such should not be owned. Come on America, think before you react. It is a tragedy for these young kids who's lives were lost due to our fellow Americans wanting to renounce our laws which was placed for a reason, for personal protecting against corrupt government officials. If you want to due away with the 2nd you might as well due away with being tried by a jury. Hey thats what it will come down to. America, some freedom we have. Grow up and think, stop being brainwashed by the media and our government.
angieseroticpen
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 5:33:45 AM

TxPrincess wrote:
Banning will not help the issue. The saying Guns don't kill people, People kill people is the issue here. If you ban any type of guns you are talking the guns from the people that are trying to protect themselves and their family. The crazy people that go on shooting sprees are not the ones that are registered and responsible gun owners, so banning guns would not help keep illegal guns from the bad people.

It is true that people kill people and not the guns but that is not the point. Guns are too readily available and we live in times of rage. People go off the head for the silliest of reasons these days and are unable to control their emotions. Making guns so readily available means that someone getting out of the wrong side of bed in the morning has something at hand to vent his/her rage with.

The real problem in the USA is that weapons production (as with tobacco production) = money. Money is more valuable than life to a sector in the US and until you see a President with the balls to stand up to these people then this will not be the last Connecticut.

“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”
gr8guy2
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 5:38:28 AM

tazznjazz wrote:
I guess arming the teachers, students and everyone is the only solution, if someone looks at you cross eyed, your justified in murdering them to protect your right to bear assault weapons! This is a sickening world we live in when a child cant go to school or a movie without fearing for their lives.

It is a fact that more cars kill more people then assault weapons. Should America ban automobiles........ More like we should protest the media from sharing tragedies like this over and over.

Next time your at gun point, don't ask me or my fellow 2nd amendment fighters for help. Figure it out on your own, maybe we might hear about how it went on the news, if its tragic enough.
Dudealicious
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 7:39:24 AM

lafayettemister wrote:

I've never bought into the whole watch violence, play violent video games leads to violent people. It may be time to rethink that. Not a true comparison to use the USA against South Korea and Japan. The societies as a whole are too different. Societal convention is different, in those countries things are still very Paternal and there's less chance of a person acting out .

So question for you then LM, it could be argued that Canada is as close the the US as any country out there. Why is it that these kinds of tragedies don't happen in Canada? Access to guns? Are Canadians nicer?

I'm sure the Canadian children play as many video games as their US counterparts but for some reason, we don't do go into a school and do shit like this.

Yes we have gun control laws (be it as terrible as they are) but one wonders if these laws do save lives. I think they just may.

The night that changed my life, a four part series of a married man lusting after his co-worker

Dudealicious
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 7:58:25 AM

Marshall20 wrote:
Dont arm all of the staff. Arm one in each grade level. Give nobody info on which member of the staff have it.

You're joking right? coffee

The night that changed my life, a four part series of a married man lusting after his co-worker

LadyX
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 8:17:32 AM

gr8guy2 wrote:

It is a fact that more cars kill more people then assault weapons. Should America ban automobiles........

At last check, automobiles have uses beyond that of 'killing and destroying things'. The same cannot be said of assault rifles. What advantages do semi-automatic assault rifles have over a regular one? Answer: they load faster, they discharge more at a time. In short: they're more lethal. That's all.

gr8guy2 wrote:

Next time your at gun point, don't ask me or my fellow 2nd amendment fighters for help. Figure it out on your own, maybe we might hear about how it went on the news, if its tragic enough.

Ah, that's the American spirit.

"If you don't elect the leaders we want, we'll just secede! And if you don't have the same values and believe in the same legal parameters, then we'll just let you suffer just for spite! That'll lern ya." Go ahead, then. Take your ball and go home when you don't get your way, but with that attitude, it's probably best not to sport your American bona fides by referencing the constitution. After all, respecting diversity of opinion is at least as "American" as stockpiling weapons, in my opinion.
Marshall_Lewis
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 8:19:01 AM

No I am not, did you not see the entire post I wrote or did you skim through it. By having a armed person at my school, violence droped, less bomb threats, less drugs, less weapons. By having one trained staff member on each grade level, you ensure that somebody will see a perp before they reach there destination. It worked great in my school to have a cop there, but in some places were they dont have enough money to keep a full time cop at a school you have to think of the possibility that if somebody in your school is trainned to deal with sitiuations like this maybe there wont be anymore school shootings.
lafayettemister
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 8:27:28 AM

Dudealicious wrote:

So question for you then LM, it could be argued that Canada is as close the the US as any country out there. Why is it that these kinds of tragedies don't happen in Canada? Access to guns? Are Canadians nicer?

I'm sure the Canadian children play as many video games as their US counterparts but for some reason, we don't do go into a school and do shit like this.

Yes we have gun control laws (be it as terrible as they are) but one wonders if these laws do save lives. I think they just may.

I don't know the answers to those questions. Maybe parents in Canada are more involved in their kids lives, and those kids are nurtured more. Maybe Canadian beer has a calming effect. Maybe American parents suck at parenting. Maybe these people have seen too many violent images on tv, movies, video games, and the internet and have become so desensitized that they lose sight of life & death reality.

Like Elit said, there have been studies but I haven't read them and I don't know when they were done. Maybe in light of new developments, that debate needs to be revisited with current statistics and information. Guns in the hands of civilians aren't widespread in the Middle East either, but there are plenty of innocent people killed by suicide bombers. With the right, or wrong, mindset mass killings can happen any number of ways.

You raise good questions, Dude. I've always been a strong believer in gun rights and the 2nd Amendment, but recent events should at least cause us to discuss the issue. By the same token, I think we should discuss violence in various media. It's been said on Lush several times about how it's easy to get a violent murder scene onto a tv show or movie. But show a nipple and everyone gets all pissy. Does viewing violence lead people to more easily commit violence? I don't know, but nothing should go untouched. Any and all possible reasons no matter how big or small should be investigated. If it turns out there's nothing to it, fine. But I think we need to explore all avenues. That's all I'm saying. Leave no stone unturned.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Dudealicious
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 8:27:36 AM

Marshall20 wrote:
No I am not, did you not see the entire post I wrote or did you skim through it. By having a armed person at my school, violence droped, less bomb threats, less drugs, less weapons. By having one trained staff member on each grade level, you ensure that somebody will see a perp before they reach there destination. It worked great in my school to have a cop there, but in some places were they dont have enough money to keep a full time cop at a school you have to think of the possibility that if somebody in your school is trainned to deal with sitiuations like this maybe there wont be anymore school shootings.

Yes I read each and every post, proof of that being a quote I referenced on the first page of this thread - is that proof enough for you?

You kind of contradict yourself by saying to arm a teacher in each grade level, then say it was great to have a cop in your school. Wouldn't the presence of a police officer be more deterrent than unknown teachers packing heat? Or would you have posters lining the hallways notifying possible shooters that there are random firearms in the facility?

Here's a thought instead of arming people why don't you make it harder to get into the building? Or better yet, make it harder to get a gun in the first place?

PhareDuFour
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 8:32:20 AM

elitfromnorth wrote:

There have never been any corrolation between exposure to video games and aggression.

Really?

What's this then? Science Fiction?

http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/dev/48/4/1044/

Si vos postulo me, sed non vis me, oportet me manere.
Sed si vis me, sed non vos postulo me, oportet me abire.
Marshall_Lewis
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 8:46:41 AM

Yes it was great to have a cop at our school, but then the police departments dont have enough money to keep a full time cop on payroll just to keep him/her at a school. By only having certain teachers having heat, and only the staff know who, would become a mind game that is tough to play. If you were a criminal and you dont know who all is packing would you take that chance.

Yes. Have warning signs on the school at evey entrance saying that teachers are armed and have trainning, and they will use deadly force if necesscary.

Why punish people who take the time to go through classess in purchase legal guns in the first place(most assault rifles are illegal) by having it harder to buy, when most of these people buy illegal firearms from gangs, there is no possible way to control that short of sending in police raids.

I agree, make schools harder to get into, we had a voice activated door. You voice wasnt in the computer, you didnt get in. Thing is American tax payers keep voting down the tax grants to schools so they can have equipment like this.

Taking away guns from people is not going to solve anything, it will probally lead to the second civil war.

Dudealicious
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 10:42:22 AM

Marshall20 wrote:
Yes it was great to have a cop at our school, but then the police departments dont have enough money to keep a full time cop on payroll just to keep him/her at a school. By only having certain teachers having heat, and only the staff know who, would become a mind game that is tough to play. If you were a criminal and you dont know who all is packing would you take that chance.

Yes. Have warning signs on the school at evey entrance saying that teachers are armed and have trainning, and they will use deadly force if necesscary.

Why punish people who take the time to go through classess in purchase legal guns in the first place(most assault rifles are illegal) by having it harder to buy, when most of these people buy illegal firearms from gangs, there is no possible way to control that short of sending in police raids.

I agree, make schools harder to get into, we had a voice activated door. You voice wasnt in the computer, you didnt get in. Thing is American tax payers keep voting down the tax grants to schools so they can have equipment like this.

Taking away guns from people is not going to solve anything, it will probally lead to the second civil war.

Perfect, so lets arm teachers. Lets also give them a "captive audience" behind closed doors to use as a shooting gallery if one day they go off the deep end themselves. Might as well give that person 40-50 targets right?

So question for you, if these teachers need to be trained go use these firearms....where does that money come from? Would it not be best to use those funds to make schools safer using the tools you had mentioned before?

I have a harder time getting into your country, than most people do getting into your schools. Is there not a disconnect there? Isn't it a "right" for children to feel safe while they are in schools and shouldn't it be the responsibility of the school system to use all of the necessary tools to do so?

The shame is this all could have been prevented if the proper security measures were in place. At the end of the day this should be the "ah-hah" moment. In fact this heinous tragedy has more to do with school security then it does with guns.

playsit
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 11:02:03 AM

Marshall20 wrote:
Let the teachers of America pack a gun in there desk, post signs all over the school grounds, that teachers are armed and trained any attempt of act of harming a kid will be meet with deadly force. We have to fight back. How long have drugs been illegal? An there are still a huge problem. IF teachers were armed, would we have any kids harmed today. I know there are some people here who are anti-guns, and there going to tell me this post is ignorant, but just think if somebody in that school was armed, would we have any children dead. Guns don't kill people. People do.

I don't think arming teachers is the answer, thats just another possibility of kids getting their hands on one. Where I come from kids have a pack mentality. There's not much a single teacher can do if a group of these poor, misguided souls decided they wanted to overtake her/him and take their gun. I agree though, something needs to be done... and quickly.

In case you are wondering, yes, I am an advocate for conceal-carry permits. Taking that right away won't remove guns from the hands of criminals, it just weakens society
snowluvr
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 11:12:41 AM

A thirty round magazine for a civilian weapon is too much.
Marshall_Lewis
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 12:17:17 PM

It is too easy to get in the schools, but the problem is taxpayers vote down the tax grants for the schools to get that type of funds to install systems like this, I see the point you make to with better security systems, I am not trying to sound like a gun lobiyst. I just think that something has to be done untill, we as a people see this matter through. No inocent kids should loose there life over a 24 year old going postal on his Mom. Nobody should die for reasons like that. I believe in the right to bare arms, and the right to protect myself and innocent people. The fact this guy was able to walk into this school without being stopped has to be looked at like you said Dudealicious. You enlightend me to the real picture to this.
99zx7r
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 12:31:39 PM

Odd fact. The weapons involved were PISTOLS. There's no mention of "assault" rifles or anything close to them. I'm pretty sure these guns are not on the list the tree huggers are trying to ban. Thank you to all of the Ct responders ensuring the rest of the children are safe and home right now.
swollen
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 12:38:12 PM

I pray that one day an American generation will grow to live in a country where the right to own firearms is less important than the value of life.
99zx7r
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 12:45:34 PM

gr8guy2 wrote:

It is a fact that more cars kill more people then assault weapons. Should America ban automobiles........ More like we should protest the media from sharing tragedies like this over and over.

So besides the fact that there was not an assault rifle involved, I am also a supporter of the second amendment of the American Constitution. I can tell you this, you come into my house and threaten my family, you have accepted one .40 S&W to the forehead from me. Conceal carry is the best deterrent. Look at the states with the most lenient laws. Least crime because you don't know who's carrying. One state, Vermont, has no carry permit and the lowest crime rate. Figure it out. Guns save lives and take them. Fact of life. Don't try to take my guns because of incidents like this. By the way, this happened about 20 miles from my house. Makes me want more guns to protect whats mine.
99zx7r
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 12:51:02 PM

gr8guy2 wrote:
Saying prayers for the families in conjunction to the Connecticut School Shooting:
But taking Americans rights away won't change a thing, other then we will be more vulnerable to the government. It is a know fact that death accures more with knifes, bats, automobiles, est. No one can blame stupidity on a gun. I for one believe and fight for our rights, and the 2nd Amendment is the biggest one that the government is trying to strip away from us. It is a known fact by state to state, that the states that allow law abiding citizens carry a gun, gun violence is at a low. If someone breaks into your house, and your so called against the 2nd amendment, who do you call. The police. A little known fact. On a police officers waist, they carry O.C which is an aerosol chemical also known as pepper spray (which is not used to much now days), An extendable baton, which is a deadly weapon, handcuffs, a taser gun, flashlight, and of course a GUN with at least two back up magazine. So if your against the 2nd amendment, next time someone breaks into your home, go downstairs and protect yourself with your pillow, don't bother calling law enforcement. If you call law enforcement, they will come to your house with their firearm drawn. If their is a time when your in a hostage situation, please dont call SWAT, which stands for Special Weapons And Tactics. You know, cause assault riffles and such should not be owned. Come on America, think before you react. It is a tragedy for these young kids who's lives were lost due to our fellow Americans wanting to renounce our laws which was placed for a reason, for personal protecting against corrupt government officials. If you want to due away with the 2nd you might as well due away with being tried by a jury. Hey thats what it will come down to. America, some freedom we have. Grow up and think, stop being brainwashed by the media and our government.

God bless you brother. NRA card holder myself. Uh oh, can I not say that?
WellMadeMale
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 1:33:14 PM

What has occurred since the late 1970s...What factors within our culture here in America have contributed to just these 62 mass death/injury shootings over the last 30 years.

We have a lot of data to analyze. And we have a lot of fallacies to put to bed.

America now has 300 million firearms, a barrage of NRA-backed (and more lenient) gun laws - and record casualties from mass killers. Not to mention killings of the 'passionate' heat of the moment variety.

The shooter in Friday's incident was not a criminal until he became one. The weapons used were legally purchased by his own mother and kept in a house he resided in. Connecticut has some very strict gun laws on the books already. It's been mentioned that the 20 year old may have some history of mental deficiency. There is still a lot we do not know about this last incident. Yet everyone has an opinion - probably based upon nothing but guesses at this time.

But we do have 30 yrs of factual evidence going back to 1982 and the 1st of the widely publicized mass shootings in the USA. Most of the shootings occurred with legally obtained and owned weapons. How many of the shooters were 'known criminals/gang members/repeat felons'?

I bet very few if any, were...until they started firing those legally obtained weapons.

Attempts by armed civilians to stop shooting rampages are rare—and successful ones even rarer.

There were two school shootings in the late 1990s, in Mississippi and Pennsylvania, in which bystanders with guns ultimately subdued the teen perpetrators, but in both cases it was after the shooting had subsided. Other cases led to tragic results.

In 2005, as a rampage unfolded inside a shopping mall in Tacoma, Washington, a civilian named Brendan McKown confronted the assailant with a licensed handgun he was carrying. The assailant pumped several bullets into McKown and wounded six people before eventually surrendering to police after a hostage standoff. (A comatose McKown eventually recovered after weeks in the hospital.)

In Tyler, Texas, that same year, a civilian named Mark Wilson fired his licensed handgun at a man on a rampage at the county courthouse. Wilson—who was a firearms instructor—was shot dead by the body-armored assailant, who wielded an AK-47. (None of these cases were included in our mass shootings data set because fewer than four victims died in each.)

Check out this report. Again, by MotherJones... I read comments here from people who love to demonize us liberal lefties. You're not helping solve the issue, people.

You're demonizing your sane friends and associates who are simply seeking answers to the problem.

I own several firearms and I'm one of the most liberal, left-leaning tree-huggers around...I don't advertise the 1st fact and I always advertise the latter.

What is causing the mental derangement in our society...that's key to understanding this issue, imo.

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
groucho
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 1:39:25 PM

okay, for all of those who have used the old adage in this post or ever in thier lives that says, "guns don't kill people. people kill people"...wow! really? you have merely demonstrated that you have a firm grasp of the obvious!

now for those who have a brain...prohibition has never been a vialble answer in any civilized society. We proved it with alcohol back in the day and we are proving it again with drugs. civilized people rely on laws that are well thought out and reasoned and then implemented well. human nature dictates that to remain civilized we have to have laws. the gun laws we have...and i will say this plainly and slowly for everyone...DO NOT WORK ! we need to bitch slap the bullies that are the nra and gun lobbyists down and step up and craft gun laws that will allow the good folks who are hunters, sportsmen, collectors, etc. to rightfully pursue their hobbies while keeping the numbers of guns and ammunition down and harder to obtain for just any one to stroll in off the street and purchase. by the way, did you hear that michigan was a whisker away from passing laws that would have not required any background checks whatsoever to purchase guns? yep, and then the connecticut shootings happened and cooler, wiser and reasonable people thought that maybe that might not be such a good idea! unfortunately that did not happen with those stupid so called 'right-to-work' laws that were passed. (did they pass the law prohibiting sharia law in michigan? it, by the way, was written by a genius who still thinks that president obama is secret muslim and that getting the US of A to adopt sharia law is on his second term agenda...yeah...hey you elected him!)

finally, if you are thinking that when this country was young and there were no gun control laws things were better - well you need to have another think on that! there was never ever a time when the majority of people walked around packing a six-shooter strapped to thier hip...except in the make-believe world of the old west movies, that is! even then it did not take long for growing frontier towns to realize how dangerous it was to allow people to walk around town with guns. especially if they were young, foolish, and had spent any time at the local saloon! most of those towns enacted their own gun control laws which said that you best check those guns at the bar or the sheriffs office when you ride into town or you'll get throwed in the poky!

all i have ever advocated for was safe and sane and enforceable gun control laws that are not influenced or written by the nra or gun and ammunition manufacturers.

g

"Women should be obscene and not heard."
Groucho Marx
tazznjazz
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 2:16:40 PM

I understand the point that if guns were illegal, only criminals would have them, but if a criminal has his gun pointed at you and you, in your finest wild west hour, go to draw on him, guess what? your dead anyway! On the other hand, you may just live to see another sunrise if you make no aggressive move, that may be a passive way of looking at it, but a realistic one too.

I think the NRA culture that glorifies guns is at much or more at fault than media, violent video games and the like.

We should have much better screening for allowing people to have firearms, if at all.

The idea of arming teachers is foolish at best, aren't they supposed to be role models, not police! Metal detectors at all entrance ways would keep armed students and visitors at bay much more effectively. It's a sad state of affairs to have to resort to this, but it seems to be effective in airports.

Crimes of passion, accidents and in the case of Sandy Hook, apparently the guns used belonged to the now deceased mother! Her mentally unstable son had access to her firearms, obtained body armor and went on his rampage in a planned out fashion. Had the mother been rejected from gun ownership because of a mentally ill family member living at home there would be 18 more children looking forward to Christmas this year.

The bottom line is the less guns in a society, the less senseless killings.