Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Scammers Cashing in on Newtown School Massacre Options · View
Dani
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 12:30:42 PM

Full Story Here

The sick part is that she's not the only one out here doing this. I would advise anyone sending donations to the families of these victims to do so with precautions. It goes without saying that there are some truly sick people in this world.

We're tiny. We're toony. We're all a little looney. And in this cartoony, we're invading your TV.

principessa
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:15:35 PM

Apparently, there is a legitimate site set up by friends of Noah Pozner's family. The money is intended to be used for counselling and other services that will be needed by his family. His uncle gives information about the real site and its address here.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?collection=Anderson_Cooper_360&hpt=hp_tvvideo#/video/bestoftv/2012/12/20/ac-noah-uncle-protecting-family-from-online-scammers.cnn

The real address is: http://noahpozner.org/

crazydiamond
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:49:09 PM

on the topic of cashing in, do you know what , this just crossed my mind as i tuned into american x-factor. the show started with this big thing for the kids. a big ballad and simon saying a few words. I truly hope it was sincere and not just X-factor getting some extra publicity and viewers out of that tradgedy. hard to tell really . dontknow

DLizze
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:06:56 PM

I would respectfully suggest thatere are lots opf people cashing in on this incident. Think of all the broadcast , internet, ad printed news media; the gun control people; the right-wing police state advocates.

What I want to know is, why isn't there more hoopla and hue and cry about getting help for people who are psychologically troubled? Why dont we hear a big political push to get these peole monetary help, if that's what they need to see a professional? Why isn't there a big discussion about early detection and diagnosis? Admittedly, making the weapons less available is an obvious tack, but really to address the problem, we need to identify and help the people who are likely to go off the deep end that way.

"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
tazznjazz
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2012 7:48:34 AM

I've heard quite a bit about the need to have better recognition and care of troubled people that could be capable of this kind of act. I think doing something about assault weapons is only the first step in a long process towards trying to reduce these kinds of incidents. Part of the problem is cut backs in mental health care on the state and federal levels and certainly also is being looked into as a solution to ending these cruel acts.
Monocle
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2012 9:35:02 PM

Oh, the NRA has a plan for that! A national registry for those with mental health issues (but, of course, no national registry for guns). Maybe we should get them all to, I don't know, wear some kind of symbol so we'd know to be careful of them. Maybe a triangle color-coded by their condition. Yeah, that's the ticket. And maybe eventually we should put them all into camps for their and our safety.
elitfromnorth
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 8:06:49 PM

As far as cashing in goes in the way this is done, it's really no surprise. Sadly. One person's death is another person's living. People will do all kinds of things, like selling "memorial stuff" to "honour the victims". They just don't say that one of the victims is their wallet that needs to be honoured with cash. The world is getting more and more cynical. Thanks to internet we can perform crimes without actually having to meet the person that suffers in real life. easier and you don't have to be that skilled or gutsy to do it. There will always be people trying to profit off of misery and death. It's human nature. Some see sorrow, others see opportunities.

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
MrNudiePants
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 10:34:35 PM

Monocle wrote:
Oh, the NRA has a plan for that! A national registry for those with mental health issues (but, of course, no national registry for guns). Maybe we should get them all to, I don't know, wear some kind of symbol so we'd know to be careful of them. Maybe a triangle color-coded by their condition. Yeah, that's the ticket. And maybe eventually we should put them all into camps for their and our safety.

Gee, spew nonsensical hyperbole much?

Monocle
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2012 6:23:27 AM

It's the logical next step to La Pierre's insane rant, and you damn well know it.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2012 8:36:50 PM

Monocle wrote:
It's the logical next step to La Pierre's insane rant, and you damn well know it.

I honestly fail to see how you can make the "logical" leap that changes law-abiding citizens into Nazis. If that's what passes for you as logic... Words fail me.

Monocle
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2012 9:22:07 PM

MrNudiePants wrote:
I honestly fail to see how you can make the "logical" leap that changes law-abiding citizens into Nazis.

Then you are a poor student of history.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 1:42:07 PM

Monocle wrote:

Then you are a poor student of history.

You do realize that one of the first things the Nazis did when they were elected was pass a law that took the guns out of the hands of their intended victims...

Monocle
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 3:27:08 PM

La Pierre would be proud. You divert just like him. I wasn't talking about guns, and you know it.
elitfromnorth
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 4:36:09 AM

MrNudiePants wrote:

You do realize that one of the first things the Nazis did when they were elected was pass a law that took the guns out of the hands of their intended victims...

And you have so little faith in your own government that you think that gun control will be a move to either be able to exterminate black people or create a tyrannic dictatorship?

Hell, with the ways things are progressing it would be more "effective" in the way of reducing the number of ethnic people in the US by making sure gangs get a lot of weapons so they can kill each other and the civilians off. Besides, white people are quicker to shout racism than coloured people. We're not stuck in the 60's anymore

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
MrNudiePants
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 6:23:47 AM

Monocle wrote:
La Pierre would be proud. You divert just like him. I wasn't talking about guns, and you know it.

You brought Nazis into the discussion by insinuating that gun owners want to round up people with mental health problems, and send them off to concentration camps. Reap what you've sown.

MrNudiePants
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 6:32:16 AM

elitfromnorth wrote:

And you have so little faith in your own government that you think that gun control will be a move to either be able to exterminate black people or create a tyrannic dictatorship?

Hell, with the ways things are progressing it would be more "effective" in the way of reducing the number of ethnic people in the US by making sure gangs get a lot of weapons so they can kill each other and the civilians off. Besides, white people are quicker to shout racism than coloured people. We're not stuck in the 60's anymore

Elit, I almost hate point this out, but you making such a broad, sweeping generalization of American culture is a lot like me criticizing Norwegian culture. I didn't grow up there, and I don't live there, so who am I to criticize? Although it may be somewhat fairer for me to do because I do have Norwegian ancestry.

I don't think anyone here seriously expects armed revolt against the government any time soon. We do have some experience, though, with overthrowing corrupt local governments by use of arms and as long as our local politicians and police officials know that the option is always on the table, it may trend to keep them more honest.

Monocle
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 8:25:33 AM

MrNudiePants wrote:

You brought Nazis into the discussion by insinuating that gun owners want to round up people with mental health problems, and send them off to concentration camps. Reap what you've sown.

You're a master of diversion. Addressing the treatment of the mentally ill, my insinuation stands. The fascist state La Pierre and you support will only disarm those not fit to bear weapons. I'm sure it will only be the mentally ill. I'm sure.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 8:54:36 AM

Monocle wrote:

You're a master of diversion. Addressing the treatment of the mentally ill, my insinuation stands. The fascist state La Pierre and you support will only disarm those not fit to bear weapons. I'm sure it will only be the mentally ill. I'm sure.

Endorsing freedom has now been redefined as fascism? I'll be sure to channel Mussolini and let his ghost know.

Yeah, rather than disarm everybody, we think it's a better idea to disarm those who have proven that they can't be trusted with the responsibility of firearm ownership. Violent criminals, people who can't tell the difference between right and wrong... Those kinds of people. Everybody else gets to have the freedom to decide for themselves whether they want to own firearms or not. Freedom. Not fascism.