Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Where are all the aliens? Options · View
Buz
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2012 10:30:11 AM

I can tell you from experience that aliens enjoy toga parties, cold German beer, Jim hendrix, and large breasted women.

See ya at the next gathering.

The_Young_Swell
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 1:30:27 AM

I probably should stay out of the deep dish philosophical discussions that go on here in The Think Tank.

Always drink upstream from the herd and never miss a good chance to shut up..
BIGTONY
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 3:22:03 AM

well there are ufo pictures that are not fuzzy and have proven to be real just look it up a bit more. i believe some countries do know about aliens and there is a lot of disinformation going on. there is so much information out there they just need to know that we will not panic and we might find out i mean some people claim that there was a battle from 1962 to 74 in dulce base were hundreds died from both sides i say where did we get the idea from its based off something
tuffer3
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 3:33:15 AM

LOL i have seen one lately. Have a one eyed bald headed one living in my pants LOL
swpmexec
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 9:31:05 AM

Organic compounds (i.e. amino acids, among others) were found on meteorites. Although not proof, it is evidence of life's potential beyond the earth, and perhaps the solar system. This is not w/o critical contrarian arguments, such as terrestrial contamination. Statistically speaking, the Drake equation dates back decades. Both of these suggest life exists elsewhere, but are far from proof; in the mean time theories from physics, xenobiology, and philosophy will abound - mostly in scifi.
nazhinaz
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 11:42:08 PM

swpmexec wrote:
Organic compounds (i.e. amino acids, among others) were found on meteorites. Although not proof, it is evidence of life's potential beyond the earth, and perhaps the solar system. This is not w/o critical contrarian arguments, such as terrestrial contamination. Statistically speaking, the Drake equation dates back decades. Both of these suggest life exists elsewhere, but are far from proof; in the mean time theories from physics, xenobiology, and philosophy will abound - mostly in scifi.

You correct.
Amino acids are compounds and/or polymers of basically Hydrogen and carbon.
Even if these two are found on other stars or meteotites, possibilty or at least probablity of life on other planets is strong enough.
But we must keep in mind that the total life of search of life beyond moon is hardly 30 to 40 years;
which surely is too short for searching in such a vast unverse and that too expanding constantly.
With all the astounding phenomenon like Black Holes, Black Matter and Black Energy being presented to our knowledge in the last 30 years or so;
its a bit too early to expect results of searching life in other stars, planets etc.
Lets continue our search for some centuries for positive results.
Meanwhile let Physics provide us still better tools of travelling in space and also for search.
Also let chemistry grow to find better proofs of life or at least organic compounds.
loveslegs
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2012 2:22:18 AM

i also do believe that there are other forms of life out there, probably just as ignorant about our existance as we are of theirs

as to why we havent found them yet.... well we assume (based on our observations) that all life is carbon based... what if that's not always the case?

as for covering huge distances in short amounts of time... consider having a 2d map of the earth in front of you now pick two cities that seem very far away from one another... say NY and Baghdad (distance is around 2.4k miles) ... now fold that map so that NY comes to rest on Baghdad; what's the distance now?

that's my My 2 cents
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2012 2:45:40 AM

I'm right here, though I'll have to be going back to the mothership soon for my yearly report. Y'all are weird.
Smoothtalkin_wolf
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 2:05:38 AM

Aliens? There are no aliens. God created us 5000 years ago in his image. Blah blah blah... hahaha just kidding.

Yes there are aliens out there... come on. There has to be! They are out there... the question of "Where are they?" is all about distances, physics and the laws of nature...

Someday... maybe. we can only hope....
WellMadeMale
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 10:24:32 AM

Who cares about extraterrestrial aliens? I'm more concerned with rogue asteroids.

Oh look...another guy devoting some brain cycles & attention to Richard Dolan.

“The asteroid, known as DA14, will pass by our planet in February 2013 at a distance of under 27,000 km (16,700 miles). This is closer than the geosynchronous orbit of some satellites.

There is a possibility the asteroid will collide with Earth, but further calculation is required to estimate the potential threat and work out how to avert possible disaster, NASA expert Dr. David Dunham told students at Moscow’s University of Electronics and Mathematics (MIEM).” (Source: CIA – EU)

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Ruthie
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 4:20:01 PM

WellMadeMale wrote:

“The asteroid, known as DA14, will pass by our planet in February 2013 at a distance of under 27,000 km (16,700 miles). This is closer than the geosynchronous orbit of some satellites.

Here's a nice little animation that shows how close it will be.

The collision course impact point is at 0:23. Estimates are that it will miss us by 27,000 km, which is pretty close in cosmic terms. This particular asteroid comes close to earth every six months and occupies an orbit that is an inclined ellipse, so it usually doesn't get this close. If something goes wrong, or the estimates are wrong and it hits, there will probably be a Tunguska like event. The crater at Tunguska covers trillions of carets of diamonds.

Nobody can guarantee you a diamond mine if this one lands in your backyard, of course, but every cloud has a silver lining.

Here's it's picture.

lambdavi
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 7:45:15 AM

Once asked the very same question, Nobel Prize winner astrophysicist Carlo RUBBIA (Italian) explained the "goldfish paradox":
There's a goldfish in a bowl, on a table in the room:
Here I am, a beautiful goldfish in my bowl. I have explored the bowl and lived in it all my life and can reassure you there is no other life.

Then there's a goldfish in a bowl, on (another) table in the room, but out of view from the first fishbowl:
Here I am, a beautiful (other) goldfish in my (other) bowl. I have explored the bowl and lived in it all my life and can reassure you there is no other life.

Then there's a goldfish in a bowl, on [another] table in the room, but out of view from the first two fishbowls:
Here I am, a beautiful [other] goldfish in my [other] bowl. I have explored the bowl and lived in it all my life and can reassure you there is no other life.

Then comes somebodym, sees the three tables with the three fishbowls and realizes there are three goldfish.

Sooo... in human terms:
Until we develop a technology to allow us to look out of our solar system... take a look around, see the situation, return & report...
...all we can assume is "here be lions"...

:)
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 1:13:30 PM

Have you checked in mexico?
Kitanica
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 12:51:03 PM

The statistical part @ danielle

life is resilient, look at archaebacteria at the bottom of the ocean at sulfur vents, or ice worms in Alaska that thrive in cold temperature. life is possible on at least one planet.

Say.... 1/10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 have life, what are the odds that only that single planet has life. If it happened here it can happen on any planet that meets the same requirements for life we have. So it's more likely there are more planets with life than the opposition of only one planet out of billions+ having basic life. and that's just counting carbon based life, they're could be other organic compounds that don't work here but thrive in different environments we'd call hostile.

The fact we exist at all is proof enough for me.
deadlogger
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 2:26:59 PM

The truth is we all wish desperately there was life out there and keep telling ourselves their is. Life has evolved by an extraordinary sequence of chances which makes it extremely unlikely that it could happen twice. Intelligent life is even more unlikely since it involves the apperance of self consciousness another remote chance.

I believe we are alone but because of enormous distances we can never know if this is true.

We have resulted after four and half billion years, almost a third of the life of the whole universe from the start of the big bang.

As yet there is no known mechanism to explain the apperance of life on the earth.

The complex molecules involved such as proteins and polypeptides are difficult to explain let alone the incredible double helix of DNA.
deadlogger
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 2:33:51 PM

Garza wrote:
The statistical part @ danielle

life is resilient, look at archaebacteria at the bottom of the ocean at sulfur vents, or ice worms in Alaska that thrive in cold temperature. life is possible on at least one planet.

Say.... 1/10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 have life, what are the odds that only that single planet has life. If it happened here it can happen on any planet that meets the same requirements for life we have. So it's more likely there are more planets with life than the opposition of only one planet out of billions+ having basic life. and that's just counting carbon based life, they're could be other organic compounds that don't work here but thrive in different environments we'd call hostile.

The fact we exist at all is proof enough for me.

I doubt very much if any other elements than carbon can be the basis of life. Carbon alone forms long chain compounds which is the fabric of all living creatures. How these longchain molecules arise is very difficult to expalin since without the driving force of life they will tend to break down into simpler molecules.
Dani
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 3:47:48 PM

Think of it this way: If there were a way of knowing, we'd know by now. As said before, as advanced as our technology is, we're not quite there yet. The OP makes it sound as if it's all some big conspiracy, but I don't think this is the case. Yes it's possible that there's life elsewhere, and some people hold strongly to that belief. The resources just aren't yet available for us.

Baby put your arms around me, tell me I'm a problem...

Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 5:16:47 PM

OH NO! There on to me... Quick beam me back to the mother ship!
kylie_kained
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 5:21:18 PM

Alien life not so sure life after death then a possibility it's very similar to asking is their a god if so why has no one met him. Maybe we already live in hell and move on to something better?

Shylass
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:09:50 PM

evil4

Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Kitanica
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 7:48:14 PM

deadlogger wrote:

I doubt very much if any other elements than carbon can be the basis of life. Carbon alone forms long chain compounds which is the fabric of all living creatures. How these longchain molecules arise is very difficult to expalin since without the driving force of life they will tend to break down into simpler molecules.

it's still possible, just like the earth not being the center of the universe.

Boron is better than carbon. it can do more than carbon can, I don't recall exactly what but something about allowing more bonds in certain ways that carbon doesnt in organic life

it's rare though so it's unlikely it would be present in large quantities to be considered. I've heard silicon and a few others that have a few missing touches. There's no telling how many elements exist in the universe that we don't know about, we've created several of our own synthetic elements.
Like ununoctium which doesn't exist naturally on earth. So who's to say there aren't multiple ways to make life just because we haven't found them yet?
lambdavi
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 5:44:27 AM

Garza wrote:

it's still possible, just like the earth not being the center of the universe.

Boron is better than carbon. it can do more than carbon can, I don't recall exactly what but something about allowing more bonds in certain ways that carbon doesnt in organic life

it's rare though so it's unlikely it would be present in large quantities to be considered. I've heard silicon and a few others that have a few missing touches. There's no telling how many elements exist in the universe that we don't know about, we've created several of our own synthetic elements.
Like ununoctium which doesn't exist naturally on earth. So who's to say there aren't multiple ways to make life just because we haven't found them yet?

+1 ! notworthy

I recall an episode from the original TV serial "Star Trek" where the Enterprise finds a planet on which life is based on Silicium instead of carbon.
Silicium is one step down from carbon in the Table of Elements, so that anything which exists in our environment, based on carbon, on that planet existed but based on Silicium.

What made life interesting ? Flowers were in the form of crystals, and all life appeared to be based on rock formations. It all moved incredibly slowly
BUT
the point is THERE WAS LIFE !

So... Boron ? I'll have to investigate the possibilities... read2
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2013 12:55:10 PM

DanielleX wrote:
The question of extra terrestrial life would come up now and then at home and at uni. Most people's responses was that 'there must be life, because with all the billions of stars there must be some planets that hold life.'

I don't like this answer, it's a cop out. Really, what evidence is there? I mean what hard evidence is there that life exists in the universe other than on our little planet? I'm not counting farmers in the mid west who've been kidnapped and mysteriously transported back. I'm also not counting fuzzy flying saucers that were really Stealth Bombers. So, I ask - if there is life on other planets out there, where are they? Why don't they come and say hello?

I have my own theories but want to hear others first.

Welcome to Fermi's Paradox! My own thoughts are that while it's possible only one planet out of so many hosts life, it's extremely improbably. Obviously we have to live on a planet that supports life, but even within our solar system, there are other likely candidates, includes Europa and Mars. Bacteria has adapted to the reactors at Chernobyl; I imagine they can handle something a bit chillier or hotter than Earth.

As for why there's no evidence. Well, space is an empty place, and what motivation is there to physically travel somewhere? It's like going from Argentina to Germany for a burger. If you can manage the trip, it's far, far easier to just get whatever your traveling for closer to home. Any civilization capable of interstellar travel is, judging from our experiences, capable of just making anything they want, anyway.

Why did humans first travel vast differences? Spices, missionary work, and land. There's little to no hope of finding something edible on another planet. I hope we've moved beyond proselytizing before we head to another solar system. And if you can travel between stars, you can find or make more than enough space. I just can't imagine anything that would justify the enormous investments of resources and time that interstellar travel would require.

Unmanned probes and radio transmissions are another story, but again, space is a big place...
nazhinaz
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 6:41:01 AM

LiquidMatthew wrote:

Welcome to Fermi's Paradox! My own thoughts are that while it's possible only one planet out of so many hosts life, it's extremely improbably. Obviously we have to live on a planet that supports life, but even within our solar system, there are other likely candidates, includes Europa and Mars. Bacteria has adapted to the reactors at Chernobyl; I imagine they can handle something a bit chillier or hotter than Earth.

As for why there's no evidence. Well, space is an empty place, and what motivation is there to physically travel somewhere? It's like going from Argentina to Germany for a burger. If you can manage the trip, it's far, far easier to just get whatever your traveling for closer to home. Any civilization capable of interstellar travel is, judging from our experiences, capable of just making anything they want, anyway.

Why did humans first travel vast differences? Spices, missionary work, and land. There's little to no hope of finding something edible on another planet. I hope we've moved beyond proselytizing before we head to another solar system. And if you can travel between stars, you can find or make more than enough space. I just can't imagine anything that would justify the enormous investments of resources and time that interstellar travel would require.

Unmanned probes and radio transmissions are another story, but again, space is a big place...

You right; space is a big place.
But greater the challenge still greater is human responce.
The motivation to travel to India and US might have been spices and land but travelling for other planets is again the land.
The cost of travelling may be comaparable to going from Mexica to Germany for a burger; but when one can afford travel cost, why not go for a treasured burger, the Mars or such other planets.
We, humans might have to travel to other planets soon, say about 4 to 6 billion years from now.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 12:14:14 PM

slipperywhenwet2012 wrote:
Think of it this way: If there were a way of knowing, we'd know by now. As said before, as advanced as our technology is, we're not quite there yet. The OP makes it sound as if it's all some big conspiracy, but I don't think this is the case. Yes it's possible that there's life elsewhere, and some people hold strongly to that belief. The resources just aren't yet available for us.

Depends upon where you look. How much time do any of us expend, trying to determine what is actually what with regard to these questions?

I'd say the odds are slim that there are very many people utilizing LushStories for whatever their main reason...who actually spend even 60 minute a month (or year)...trying to determine anything about whether extraterrestrials exist only in fiction or in a reality which humans (and their developed technologies) can perceive.

This man has spent years of his time doing just that. I don't think he's a flake, although many people will summarily dismiss him and other men and women like him - out of hand.

Many of us already have our minds made up about most any subject...and we debunk things we know nothing about (for instance - female ejaculation - I used to be in the debunker camp - until I experienced the phenomenon a few times with different women...something is going on with that... I don't know what it is, but - hey, the truth is out there).

Grant Cameron - and his website. He makes an effort to not be hoodwinked and is very skeptical. I appreciate that about him.

The audio improves immensely at roughly the 5:00 mark, and the meat of the discussion commences around 9:00 mark -

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Magical_felix
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 10:35:06 PM

California.

shizuyami
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2013 11:32:34 AM

They are in my basement, my country doesn't see the aliens as legal citizens so they are giving me a hard time while i request passports for them. The government can complain about the littlest things... 1 of the things being that both ears have to be visible and they are not allowed to laugh on the photo... its impossible considering they look like this clown

But oh well, maybe 1 day my country will accept them as normal citizens. Better not talk about the men in black.... The aliens actually think they exist! They start panicking and try to escape the basement when i even mention men in black.... It might be the reason why they all avoid the earth. Maybe they are just scared of the technology the men in black have .

Conclusion: They are all too scared to visit this planet because of the bad reputation the men in black have.

o.o
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:52:03 AM

I can see this is a bit of an abandoned theme, but I'm new here and until I have an articulate thought on female ejaculation, I'll stick to what I know. This is a quote form Hamlet that sums up what I feel:

''There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.''

If the definition of an alien visit is a ship landing in Central Park in front of news crews broadcasting the whole thing live, metal doors open loudly and out comes a bunch of humanoids (insert interesting colour), waving and saying ''Greetings!'', then we might all be disappointed.

If you allow for non-carbon based forms, like the aforementioned silicon-based forms or conscious nebulaes etc. ... then things become much more interesting.
Like the extremely clever people above said, Star Trek infrequently explored some of those ideas (but it was much more important for Kirk to have all that interspecies sex, using the universal translator for that all-important question: 'Where is your vagina?'). Some sci-fi stories I can't remember anymore also tackled very alternate life forms.

In other words, someone might be banging on that fishbowl we live in and we don't know how to recognize or understand them. That's all before you even start doubting what you're told.
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:17:35 PM

NinaK wrote:
I can see this is a bit of an abandoned theme, but I'm new here and until I have an articulate thought on female ejaculation, I'll stick to what I know. This is a quote form Hamlet that sums up what I feel:

''There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.''

If the definition of an alien visit is a ship landing in Central Park in front of news crews broadcasting the whole thing live, metal doors open loudly and out comes a bunch of humanoids (insert interesting colour), waving and saying ''Greetings!'', then we might all be disappointed.

If you allow for non-carbon based forms, like the aforementioned silicon-based forms or conscious nebulaes etc. ... then things become much more interesting.
Like the extremely clever people above said, Star Trek infrequently explored some of those ideas (but it was much more important for Kirk to have all that interspecies sex, using the universal translator for that all-important question: 'Where is your vagina?'). Some sci-fi stories I can't remember anymore also tackled very alternate life forms.

In other words, someone might be banging on that fishbowl we live in and we don't know how to recognize or understand them. That's all before you even start doubting what you're told.

This reminds me a bit of The Mothman Prophecies...
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:18:08 PM

nazhinaz wrote:

You right; space is a big place.
But greater the challenge still greater is human responce.
The motivation to travel to India and US might have been spices and land but travelling for other planets is again the land.
The cost of travelling may be comaparable to going from Mexica to Germany for a burger; but when one can afford travel cost, why not go for a treasured burger, the Mars or such other planets.
We, humans might have to travel to other planets soon, say about 4 to 6 billion years from now.

We better go faster than that. In less than 6 billion years our sun will have consumed our planet and wiped out everything on Earth.