Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Anyone have any tips on how to write in such a way that appeals more to female readers than male. Options · View
Guest
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 4:48:18 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 532,050
Hi. My first two stories were described by a professional author on another site as 'male stroke fantasy stories' in response, I wrote one that I thought appeals much more to women than my previous two stories. It's called 'she begins naive, she ends euphoric' and according to the feedback I have had on other sites for the story, it worked to some extent. I'd like to hear ideas from fellow authors male or female about this subject. Is there a style or formula in the story telling that appeals to females more and really turns them on? What do females look for in a story that men don't?
WellMadeMale
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 4:57:42 PM

Rank: Constant Gardener

Joined: 9/30/2009
Posts: 10,282
Location: Cakeland, United States
I generally attempt to write towards a target audience at least 40 intelligence quotient points higher on average than the stroking sock puppets might ever attain.

Seems to work pretty well.

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
TheGulfCoaster
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 6:20:32 PM

Rank: Story Verifier

Joined: 1/2/2011
Posts: 581
Location: Sarasota County, United States
I'd recommend reading the 'comments' of the stories, if the majority of comments are positive and from women, read the story or perhaps PM girls who leave comments like you 'd like to get on your stories and ask them what appealed to them about the story? I tend to get more comments from girls than guys, and most seem positive in nature. I'm not sure what it is about my stories that appeal to the ladies, but although they contain sex, invariably they are also 'love' stories. Check the story listings in author's profiles, look for the stats on views, scores and comments, that might be a decent place to start. Good luck.
Guest
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 6:37:20 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 532,050
I like stories that have a plot line to them and are not just about sex. Most of the women I know are looking for some romance and not just a quick fuck. Also when it comes to the sex...draw it out and use all five of the senses to describe what is going on. Put how you feel into the story and not just the sexual part of things. I agree with Mark (thegulfcoaster), I am one of his friends and I love his stories.....they move me to tears at times because he puts his heart into it and not just his dick.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 7:10:22 PM

Rank: Alpha Blonde

Joined: 2/17/2010
Posts: 6,237
Location: West Coast
I think sometimes age demographic also plays into things.

I'm a female writer and although I think my writing appeals to both sexes (based on comments and fan-mail/feedback I get, both on Lush and off), some of my best feedback has come from other women in my general age bracket, and I assure you, I don't write romantic love stories. I've gotten some really great letters from women that are happy to read dirtier, explicit, kinky sex stories that don't pander to the typical 'romance' and softer 'relationship-focused plots' that people think all women are interested in.

The only caveat is - I don't write standard stroke porn. I develop the characters, get into their head a bit, and usually have some kind of "should I or shouldn't I?" type of struggle. If you're writing explicit sex stories, this is necessary to bolster and elevate the story so it's not just a glorified sex scene with idealized characters.

Similar to visual porn, there's a lot of girls that are into the hardcore stuff, so I wouldn't shy away from it, if that's the kind of erotica you enjoy writing. But I think women are probably more likely to want more story line or depth to the plot. That doesn't necessarily just mean romance and love. If they're interested in the characters you've created, they'll be interested in the sex they have (whether it's soft and sensual or rough and dirty).


TheGulfCoaster
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 8:30:55 PM

Rank: Story Verifier

Joined: 1/2/2011
Posts: 581
Location: Sarasota County, United States
sexybbw71 wrote:
I like stories that have a plot line to them and are not just about sex. Most of the women I know are looking for some romance and not just a quick fuck. Also when it comes to the sex...draw it out and use all five of the senses to describe what is going on. Put how you feel into the story and not just the sexual part of things. I agree with Mark (thegulfcoaster), I am one of his friends and I love his stories.....they move me to tears at times because he puts his heart into it and not just his dick.


Awe, Amy - you're gonna make me blush!!

Thanks for the acknowledgement, I really appreciate it.Big Hugs Embarassed
Guest
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 8:58:06 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 532,050
sexybbw71 wrote:
I like stories that have a plot line to them and are not just about sex. Most of the women I know are looking for some romance and not just a quick fuck. Also when it comes to the sex...draw it out and use all five of the senses to describe what is going on. Put how you feel into the story and not just the sexual part of things. I agree with Mark (thegulfcoaster), I am one of his friends and I love his stories.....they move me to tears at times because he puts his heart into it and not just his dick.


Yes thanks for that advice. Actually the last story I wrote was quite as your advice described. It was romantic, the sex scene was drawn out and I put particular attention to how the female felt in the story. The sex scene had the male actively trying to please the female rather than just using the female as a tool to get the male off. I also purposely added more Characterisation to the female so you really felt for her. And contrary to most of the stories on these sites the female in the story wasn't a slut. As I said, according to some of the feedback about the story it did actually seem to work. I will read some of gulf coasters stories to see what I can pick up. Also, in my opinion I believe women weite best for women. Unfortunately I don't have that luxury. Thanks.
Guest
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 9:03:40 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 532,050
TheGulfCoaster wrote:
I'd recommend reading the 'comments' of the stories, if the majority of comments are positive and from women, read the story or perhaps PM girls who leave comments like you 'd like to get on your stories and ask them what appealed to them about the story? I tend to get more comments from girls than guys, and most seem positive in nature. I'm not sure what it is about my stories that appeal to the ladies, but although they contain sex, invariably they are also 'love' stories. Check the story listings in author's profiles, look for the stats on views, scores and comments, that might be a decent place to start. Good luck.


Good self promotion lol. Thanks for the advice, I wil check out some of.your stories.
Guest
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 9:18:09 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 532,050
Dancing_Doll wrote:
I think sometimes age demographic also plays into things.

I'm a female writer and although I think my writing appeals to both sexes (based on comments and fan-mail/feedback I get, both on Lush and off), some of my best feedback has come from other women in my general age bracket, and I assure you, I don't write romantic love stories. I've gotten some really great letters from women that are happy to read dirtier, explicit, kinky sex stories that don't pander to the typical 'romance' and softer 'relationship-focused plots' that people think all women are interested in.

The only caveat is - I don't write standard stroke porn. I develop the characters, get into their head a bit, and usually have some kind of "should I or shouldn't I?" type of struggle. If you're writing explicit sex stories, this is necessary to bolster and elevate the story so it's not just a glorified sex scene with idealized characters.

Similar to visual porn, there's a lot of girls that are into the hardcore stuff, so I wouldn't shy away from it, if that's the kind of erotica you enjoy writing. But I think women are probably more likely to want more story line or depth to the plot. That doesn't necessarily just mean romance and love. If they're interested in the characters you've created, they'll be interested in the sex they have (whether it's soft and sensual or rough and dirty).



Thank you for your advice. Oh, I won't tone down the sex for anyone. Actually I saw.something that took me by surprise on another site. I saw a story that had women that flocked to the comments section saying how hot and wet etc that the story made them feel and one or two said they wished they were the character in the story. The thing is, it was a rape fantasy story. Not usually my thing. But the story must have really appealed to those women who commented because of the style it was written in. So yeh, women as much as men have all kinds of diverse sexual prefrences that differ from one to the other. I agree, the difference in appealing to females more is in the characterisation, emotion and story telling.
sprite
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 9:39:33 PM

Rank: Her Royal Spriteness

Joined: 6/18/2010
Posts: 14,423
Location: My Tower, United States
i try to get into my characters head, their emotions, their thoughts. personally, i find that i am far more invested into a story if i feel i know the character a little, if i relate to him/her. if i like them, or am intrigued by them. as for the sex, yeah, like Doll said, as for as Lush stories go, i like stories that have a great deal of kink in them, nastier, dirtier stories. i can't get plenty of romance else where, or at least vanilla or soft core romance - yes, there can be a great deal of love between the partners in what i enjoy, in fact, i like that, but just because they are in love, doesn't mean they shouldn't be having hot steamy sex, and hey, there's nothing wrong in just enjoying sex for what it is, whether there is a relationship or not.

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/hardcore/west-coast-games-part-one-the-beach.aspx
Guest
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 9:51:39 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 532,050
sprite wrote:
i try to get into my characters head, their emotions, their thoughts. personally, i find that i am far more invested into a story if i feel i know the character a little, if i relate to him/her. if i like them, or am intrigued by them. as for the sex, yeah, like Doll said, as for as Lush stories go, i like stories that have a great deal of kink in them, nastier, dirtier stories. i can't get plenty of romance else where, or at least vanilla or soft core romance - yes, there can be a great deal of love between the partners in what i enjoy, in fact, i like that, but just because they are in love, doesn't mean they shouldn't be having hot steamy sex, and hey, there's nothing wrong in just enjoying sex for what it is, whether there is a relationship or not.


Indded. Thanks.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 9:48:08 AM

Rank: Constant Gardener

Joined: 9/30/2009
Posts: 10,282
Location: Cakeland, United States
6

And the story verifiers all tense up!

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
sprite
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 10:07:16 AM

Rank: Her Royal Spriteness

Joined: 6/18/2010
Posts: 14,423
Location: My Tower, United States
WellMadeMale wrote:
6

And the story verifiers all tense up!


we are ALWAYS tense - the amount of hard liquor we go thru in a week would astound you! drunken

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/hardcore/west-coast-games-part-one-the-beach.aspx
Jayne33
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2013 4:46:54 PM

Rank: Story Verifier

Joined: 6/5/2012
Posts: 1,237
Location: on my laptop, United Kingdom
Men are more visual and woman emotional, so to appeal to woman more try to add more feelings and emotion into the story.


Thinking Of You By Jayne33
Guest
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:31:15 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 532,050
This is a good question. Would like to know how to get more reader period. Maybe what I would really like is more feed back. I'm new to this but think my stories would appeal to both sexes but of my 4 submissions I have only had 5 comments and only one from a woman. I do believe that my first three stories should have been submitted as one. (I believe my third was the best...I may be a little bias though) Maybe my work just sucks so instead of scoreing or commenting people just say nothing. My third had a 5 average for a while and the other day got its first 4.
Then again I've been her less then a month. Mayby it takes time to get noticed.... I don't know...

Also there are a lot more males on here then females. Click the active visitors tab at any given time and it is at least a 2 to 1 ratio.

Something you might consider (as I am) is something I read in the writers forums somewhere. That you have to catch the readers attention in the first 150 words or so... if you don't they will move on.
CurlyGirly
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:07:57 PM

Rank: CurlyFries

Joined: 10/5/2012
Posts: 1,774
Location: United States
Phoenix69 wrote:
This is a good question. Would like to know how to get more reader period. Maybe what I would really like is more feed back. I'm new to this but think my stories would appeal to both sexes but of my 4 submissions I have only had 5 comments and only one from a woman. I do believe that my first three stories should have been submitted as one. (I believe my third was the best...I may be a little bias though) Maybe my work just sucks so instead of scoreing or commenting people just say nothing. My third had a 5 average for a while and the other day got its first 4.
Then again I've been her less then a month. Mayby it takes time to get noticed.... I don't know...

Also there are a lot more males on here then females. Click the active visitors tab at any given time and it is at least a 2 to 1 ratio.

Something you might consider (as I am) is something I read in the writers forums somewhere. That you have to catch the readers attention in the first 150 words or so... if you don't they will move on.


I think you're right that it does take time to get noticed.

A couple of other ideas. Looking at your profile page, you don't have an electorate or commentator badge, and I know that you said you've only been here a month, but do you read AND comment on other's stories? Especially your friends? I believe there is a bit of you scratch my...err...umm...you stroke my...well, you get the idea. If you're not, start reading and commenting. People do return the favor in kind. I know I do. If someone I'm not friends and/or familiar with reads my stuff and comments, I will look to see if they have any Lush stories and I will read and comment.

I also do send thank you notes to people who read my stories. I know not everyone does, but I truly appreciate that they've chosen to read my story out of the 1000's of other stories they could've read. It does seem that a lot of them will come back and read more.

Lastly, don't know if you do this, but when you have a new story don't be afraid to blog about it and put the link in your post. I really don't like the mass PM thing, but I know some authors do.

You also might want to try a banner ad in your signature to promote your stories in a way that catches the eye. There is a great link somewhere around this forum on creating banner ads.

Good luck!

P.S. A 4 is still a good score, which I tell myself every time I get an anonymous 4. evil4 evil4



It won a potato. Aren't you intrigued?



Guest
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 7:42:50 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 532,050
Thanks CurlyGirly.
I keep getting caught up in writting. I get an idea caught in my head and it keeps running till I get it on paper. Its hard to read when I'm in that mode. I have a long list of "I want to read". I know I should be reading more, your completely right there.

I did just finish a new story. (now for the shameless plug. The Submissive: In the Beginning. Links are below my forum posts) Now that I just finished this one I'm going to try and get to that list. I did send out a blog on this one and started sending out "thank you for commenting" messages. I actually have gotten some good feed back in the two comments I recieved so far...

I really do appreciate your input (you are kind of a Lush Legend)... It all will help me grow as a writer!
overmykneenow
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 8:29:07 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 6/8/2010
Posts: 1,017
Location: United Kingdom
For me the key is in how you describe your female characters. The more you separate your reader from identifying with a character the less engaged they will be. Usually I'll restrict the description of a lead female character to things that won't have much bearing (eg colour of eyes, hair).

"Janey was hot; 5'4, 32E and sweetest of pert asses. Every guy wanted to fuck her" - this is male fantasy porn - any women reading will know plenty enough about girls like her, not many will want to identify with her.

"Janey happily took a moment to admire her own reflection; she loved how her skirt suit made the most her contours." - now this is someone a lot more women can identify with.

Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Guest
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 2:51:15 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 532,050
As a female, I like stories that leave a little bit up to the imagination. For e.g extremely detailed descriptions don't do it for me, I like imagining features that I like, which may or may not be the same as the writer's.

Also, I like to know what the character was thinking at certain times. E.g during orgasm, was it "Oh holy hell, that feels good!" or "Ok, let's just pretend it feels good so that he can get the hell off of me."

This might sound very, very girly, but I like stories where there's a certain amount of emotional connection involved. If it's a, 'wham, bam, thank you ma'am,' kind of story, that just doesn't do it for me. I like to know (depending on my mood) that there's possibly a future with the story.

In as much as I like graphic descriptions, if that's all there is in a story, it doesn't pull me in.
Guest
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 2:51:18 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 532,050
As a female, I like stories that leave a little bit up to the imagination. For e.g extremely detailed descriptions don't do it for me, I like imagining features that I like, which may or may not be the same as the writer's.

Also, I like to know what the character was thinking at certain times. E.g during orgasm, was it "Oh holy hell, that feels good!" or "Ok, let's just pretend it feels good so that he can get the hell off of me."

This might sound very, very girly, but I like stories where there's a certain amount of emotional connection involved. If it's a, 'wham, bam, thank you ma'am,' kind of story, that just doesn't do it for me. I like to know (depending on my mood) that there's possibly a future with the story.

In as much as I like graphic descriptions, if that's all there is in a story, it doesn't pull me in.
Guest
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 7:12:58 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 532,050
Okay now I'm a little confused... My new story is BDSM. No romance. I figured that it would appeal more toward the male audience. I was wrong...

It might be that it was written more from one of the female charaters perspective and focuses on her thoughts, emotions, etc.

Or it could be that a lot of the women on here as just freaky. I mean that in a good way, a very good way! a1089

Metilda
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 10:04:03 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/10/2013
Posts: 972
Location: United States
Phoenix69 wrote:
Okay now I'm a little confused... My new story is BDSM. No romance. I figured that it would appeal more toward the male audience. I was wrong...

It might be that it was written more from one of the female charaters perspective and focuses on her thoughts, emotions, etc.

Or it could be that a lot of the women on here as just freaky. I mean that in a good way, a very good way! a1089



Well - there are a lot of websites I could go to for watered down Fade-to-Black love stories. I'm not there, obviously. . . and I even use to write that!

Of course: when I read shorts (like on this website) I'm not reading because I want to get sucked into a lengthy novel or even a saga (which I do lover overall - it makes up the most of my reading) . . . I come to a website such as this to quickly satisfy myself in some fashion. Ergo - when searching for something good here on this site it's usually within my interest categories.

Full-lengths: Romances and lit-erotica is what I read on my phone in the checkout line of the grocery store. I need the depth and intrigue, then - the plot and all that matters a lot.

So - what I want to read depends on *why* I'm reading it to begin with.

When it comes to the point of view and whether or not I feel it's written for men or women . . . I prefer to read about guys. I am a woman. I am not a mystery to myself. I know what my orgasm feels like and so on. So I enjoy reading about sex from the male's perspective. It's very interesting, different than my own, and something I'll never experience.

In general: Romance (not just the 'classic' romance story concept - but erotica as well) has always been favored by women. The industry trend is leaning towards more straight men reading erotica-romance. This is the new evolution. So I was actually surprised to find so many men reading/writing erotica online - at this website especially. (in any flavor, style, hue, interest category - so many guys! It's shocking to me, really)

Traditional romance is overrated and often misrepresented. By this I mean the fluffy love: cheesy, typical - and what Grandma might have read. "Arturo and mighty warrior battles the minions for the life of his love." Squee squee! It's so cheesy it comes with a side of crackers and a bottle of wine! It's turned into movies, that stuff is - rated PG-13.

A lot of people don't want that - they want drama, thrills, realism even when it's not realistic at all.

Maybe at one point that's what 'Romance' in general use to consist of as a category - the triumph of love - and it sold well. It still does, just not as much. Fade-to-Black was all the rage. A pirate ship and an abducted handmaiden and there you go - rate that R and sell that sucker.

However - looking at the popularity of the more vivid and explicit Lit-Erotica category - successful novels are ones that take the components of Romance (man and woman meet and fall in love and their relationship progresses) and then mixes it with erotica - and you have the perfect storm.

In every hugely popular story: the characters are well developed, deep, unique - the men are interesting, intriguing, unique and believable. There's an edge of danger and mystery - either fromm the men (the typical) or the women (a-typical but growing more popular) The sex is hot. The psychological grip is always there (1st person, 3rd person limited) And the catch - the sinker that EVERYONE WANTS - they all have their own adorable, cute, buttery funny moments and sweet tidbits. Like - emails shared between people, Humorous moments, Awkward situations.

This stuff (humor, cuteness = real life - *on top* of everything else is what a lot of people want and need.

I need the humor most of all. It must put me in a good mood, make me forget my stress and crappy day - My hero or heroine must be an interesting and sort of funny person.

Available as an ebook through All Romance, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, iBooks, and others.
Sweetaboo
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 11:20:17 PM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 3/9/2013
Posts: 42
Focus on smell and touch and add a layer of emotion. Visual imagery is good, but too much description of body parts and not enough description of intimacy clearly sells more to a male audience than a female audience. Also, be descriptive as to the situation and the characters. A guy can fuck pretty much anywhere and get off. A woman needs an arousing setting, as well as arousing talk, arousing smells, arousing touches, even arousing tastes if you can describe that.

Hope that helps.
Andee
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 4:32:42 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/7/2013
Posts: 123
Location: Mostly the couch, Canada
A realistic plot and strong character development. We all have flaws, as well ... and it's good to see those character flaws in the people we create.

"If you knew what you were doing you would probably be bored."

Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.