Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Should gay men be allowed to donate blood? Options · View
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 8:48:01 PM

Why not? There are careful gay men, as much as there are careless straight men.
ArtMan
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 9:00:41 PM

Isn't the blood tested? I would say as long as the donor has blood that tests negative for any blood borne disease or such that anyone could donate.

You are invited to read Passionate Danger, Part II, a story collaboration by Kim and ArtMan.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/passionate-danger-part-ii.aspx

lafayettemister
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 8:13:18 AM

ArtMan wrote:
Isn't the blood tested? I would say as long as the donor has blood that tests negative for any blood borne disease or such that anyone could donate.

Blood is tested, but HIV isn't detectable in modern blood tests within several weeks of infection. That's the main problem. Of course, anyone... gay or straight/man or woman could have HIV. Seems those collecting blood are just playing percentages as gay men are significantly more likely to have HIV.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
PhareDuFour
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:17:00 AM

Does America need a "Nazi Past" before they stop behaving like Nazis?

I donate blood as well. On the form you fill out, they ask if you are sick, if you take regular medication, if have heart disease, if you have a health condition, or if you have STD's.

They DO NOT ask if you are hetereo-, bi-, or homosexual, single, married, religious, or even what race/colour you are. All of the blood is double-checked before it is sent to a hospital, a research lab or a pharmaceutical company anyway.

Why ask in the first place? HIV is not a "gay disease" - not since one blood bank company sold untested blood to hospitals and HIV-infected blood was tranferred to non-HIV-patients. That company's "screenings" and allegedly asking "are you gay" did not prevent HIV hereoine addicts from selling their blood plasma to that company and infecting three monogamous housewives with HIV.

After that, they changed the criteria. Now they don't ask "Are you gay?" They test every donation before they sell it. YES - sell it. The International Red Cross has more money than than Microsoft.

Si vos postulo me, sed non vis me, oportet me manere.
Sed si vis me, sed non vos postulo me, oportet me abire.
lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:50:23 AM

Last time I gave blood, which was a while ago, these are some of the questions I was asked. Seems like they're just weeding out some of the higher risks.

Have you paid for sex within the last (don't recall time frame)?

Have you had sex with another man?

Have you gotten a tattoo within (don't recall the time frame)?

According to Wikipedia most countries have a 1 year deferral on blood from MSM (Men who have Sex with Men). Which means, in countries like the UK, men cannot give blood if they've had sex with another man within one year. Because, the virus may not be detectable within the first few weeks of contracting.

Current blood testing is not able to detect the HIV virus within the Window Period, and MSM are much more likely to have HIV according to statistics. In the mid 80's there were over 10,000 hemophiliacs that were infected via transfusion. I read that but can't find the link again. So, the hemophiliac community wants to keep the current restrictions.

According to an article by The LA Times, "The FDA estimates that HIV prevalence is 60 times higher among men who have sex with men than it is in the general public, and 800 times higher than it is in first-time blood donors, who are typically healthier than the general public."

I don't think the FDA, Red Cross, United Blood Services are being discriminatory. They're playing the averages, and protecting their financial asses. There are no doubt thousands of homosexual men and women working as doctors and nurses and phlebotomists and administrators of blood. If they aren't up in arms over it, I'll wait to throw mine up.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
findingnichole
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 12:17:51 AM

Heterosexuals can get HIV too. It's discrimination. I think they should be allowed.

You seem sweet, mind if I lick you to make sure?
Tranquil
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 1:07:07 AM

in this day and age, sexual orientation can't be a factor...that should have been another thing thrown out with the millennium bug.My 2 cents

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/my-mother-warned-me-1.aspx

[i]Poem : The Cyber Touch http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/the-cyber-touch.aspx
Poem : The Last Moments http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/the-last-moments.aspx
Story : One day only http://www.lushstories.com/stories/oral-sex/one-day-only.aspx
Poem: My Toy http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/my-toy.aspx#comments/i]

niceguy89
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 1:44:32 AM

Who is turning down clean blood?
If I was a gay man and someone didn't want to live off my blood. I'd say fuck them. Let em pass out until some straight blood is found. That way their "ethics" would be the death of them. This type of brain washing and fear is plain stupid. We are all human! Who we choose to sleep with should not be a issue.
EDWolfe
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 8:26:18 AM

There should be no reason to ban gay and bi men from donating blood. From what I understand, AIDS can be transferred between male and female partners. Other STIs can be picked up from people who've had less-than-protected sex with same- or opposite-sex partners. It sounds like this policy is discriminatory; therefore, it should be repealed. Blood is blood, whether or not it comes from straight or GLBT people.
foxjack
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 11:19:48 AM

"HIV Incidence Estimate

Incidence is the number of new HIV infections that occur during a given year. CDC estimates that approximately 50,000 people in the United States are newly infected with HIV each year. In 2010 (the most recent year that data was available), there were an estimated 47,500 new HIV infections. Most (63%) of these new infections occurred in gay and bisexual men."
I'd assume this protocol came due to this statistic, just a higher risk factor when accepting the blood I suppose.

I mean, if let’s say about 5% of the population has a 31% chance of having contracted HIV within the last 6 months, compared to the rest of the population 95% lesbians/straights having only a 37% chance of having contracted HIV in the last 6 months it does make the sexually active gay population look like a much stronger risk factor.

So I guess it comes down to just playing on the safe side due to that 6 month time it takes to become detectable?
SittingBallerina
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 12:52:59 AM

If they're screened and turn out fine, then of course. Their human beings, just like straight people are.
foxjack
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 11:04:22 AM

pixiedust wrote:
If they're screened and turn out fine, then of course. Their human beings, just like straight people are.

saturdaynight wrote:

yes that is true.. HIV has a window period of about 6 months. Meaning that if someone gets HIV today and is tested tomorrow, the result would be negative and would still be negative until 6 months has elapsed.

As you can see the problem with that is that someone sexually active will be able to slip past the screening if they contracted it in the last 6 months. And beings the majority of the people that contract aids are gays and bisexuals that means they are simply a larger risk factor.

Now, I suppose a fairer question would be "Have you had sex in the last 6 months" but then they probably wouldn't get donations anymore....

Maybe they could ask if you or your partner have had sex with anyone besides each other in the last 12 months, and if you said yes you'd be disqualified because that would be allowing for the possibility of HIV sneaking into your blood and not showing up on the test.
Tranquil
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 11:23:41 PM

each country has its issues , not just with gay men in regards to blood donation...in New Zealand if you travelled through the UK and ate beef during the mid to late 80s to early to mid 90's you can't give blood...

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/my-mother-warned-me-1.aspx

[i]Poem : The Cyber Touch http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/the-cyber-touch.aspx
Poem : The Last Moments http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/the-last-moments.aspx
Story : One day only http://www.lushstories.com/stories/oral-sex/one-day-only.aspx
Poem: My Toy http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/my-toy.aspx#comments/i]

oldhound
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 4:21:49 PM

If you can pass the tests required, there should be no issue. I cant donate, 1 because I was in Europe in the early 90s, and 2, possible nerve agent exposure lol. Dont ya think Id have felt something within the last 22 years lol.
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:46:09 AM

So is the person asking this question including all gay men regardless if they are infected with anything ?
Jinxy
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 10:26:33 PM

scooter wrote:
I think we should send every post here,,to congress.>

I can see it now. They get all our posts. They see it being from a sex site. thumbup They'd never listen to us. At least not take us serious.

Also, yes gay men should be able to donate, they screen all the blood anyway. What are they afraid of, making more gays? Are lesbians subjected to the same questioning?

†Jinxy Approved†

WellMadeMale
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 3:42:14 PM

Jinxy wrote:

I can see it now. They get all our posts. They see it being from a sex site. thumbup They'd never listen to us. At least not take us serious.

Pffft... Would probably see 500 new Lush members (sporting fake and/or illegal avatars) inside of 36 hours. Many of them creeping on the existing younger men & women members of Lush.

25% of them would be demanding some anonymous wanking chat. evil4

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 10:12:37 PM

Like ArtMan said "Isn't the blood tested?" I know that the Red Cross didn't test their blood for a long time and that is why there were problems and aids was transmitted. But now they have to test it. Gays who know they have aids are committing a crime when the donate it. Answer,no it is ok for gays to donate just like everyone else as long as the blood is tested (and that means all blood no matter who gives it) and that they aren't giving blood when they know they are infected.