Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

With all the talk of Global Climate Change Options · View
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 5:10:25 AM

DO you believe it is first more then just cyclical and 2ndly is it Man Made ?

IF you believe it is man made or we are contributing what are you or have you done to stop it on an individual level.

Not looking for a political debate or how your vote for some one to do something on your behalf.
elitfromnorth
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 8:30:29 AM

Nature has always had a way to straighten itself out when it's been fucked over somehow. If you have a huge amount of prey then you'll get a huge amount of predators taking out the weak, and when there are no weak ones left and the amount of prey goes down, the weak predators will be the first to die. But the balance of nature is very delicate. There can't be any denial that we as humans have fucked up one thing after another in nature, either by cutting down trees, chemical spills and so forth. Right now there's an old German sub laying in the fjord in Norway with shitloads of quicksilver in it. If all that leaks out then the life in the fjord is pretty much fucked.

Trees take up CO2 while animals release it. Considering that there are more sources of CO2 and less trees than say 100 years ago, then you'd be an idiot to think that this won't affect the environment and the climate in one way or another. Comparing satelitte photos which shows the ice North of Norway has proven that the ice has melted and there's more open sea there now than it was 50 years ago, causing a different weather pattern with colder and more rainy summers, which again fucks up the crops. This summer many of the potato fields here had turned into mud piles that reminded me of pictures and footage of the trenches in WWI. Yes, that's how bad it was.

You can argue that this would have happened anyway. Maybe, maybe we haven't affected the nature that much that it would eventually have happened, BUT there should be no doubt that we have helped speed things up. Since we speed things up, the changes will happen much sooner, and before we know it we might end up with another ice age on our hands. Not a big one where half the northern hemisphere turns to ice, but like the one that was back in the 1500's or whenever it was. Food was so scarce that you had a death penalty for stealing a potato. What will the result be? A huge rise in food cost, meaning poor people have to starve, which again will cause riots and in some cases even wars. The death tolls because of it will be in the millions. What we need is to slow down the CO2 release, find the bacteria that stops the cows from farting(yes, they are actually doing that) until we have the technology that can produce more food. We're already on the brink of what we can sustain as far as food goes, and if we have less food... well...

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
Rembacher
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 8:45:27 AM

Definitely man made, or at the very least, man increased. We would be foolish to believe that all the clear cutting, and polluting we have done would not have some sort of affect on the environment.

As for what I'm doing to try and ease the problem: I walk instead of drive, when I have the choice. I keep my apartment at a comfortable, but colder temperature in the winter and let it be a little warmer in the summer. I compensate by removing or adding layers of clothing as needed, and when possible, spend my time outside instead of inside. I also do my best to buy local foods, with as little styrofoam packaging as possible. And I recycle as much of my waste as I possibly can.
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 11:47:46 AM

Rembacher wrote:
Definitely man made, or at the very least, man increased. We would be foolish to believe that all the clear cutting, and polluting we have done would not have some sort of affect on the environment.

As for what I'm doing to try and ease the problem: I walk instead of drive, when I have the choice. I keep my apartment at a comfortable, but colder temperature in the winter and let it be a little warmer in the summer. I compensate by removing or adding layers of clothing as needed, and when possible, spend my time outside instead of inside. I also do my best to buy local foods, with as little styrofoam packaging as possible. And I recycle as much of my waste as I possibly can.

Very good, this is the kind of personal responsibility I was looking for when I posted the question, Thanks.

I ranch and have during the summer up to 200 head of cattle and more sheep and chickens then at any other time of the year. Last year I spent $1,000 dollars to reclaim an area that had silted in, adding a water collection to my main pond of some 1 million gallons.

I know I have a greater responsibility to the land/water then most.

As this goes on I will tell of other soil/water conservation steps I have taken.
CleverFox
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 5:55:29 PM

I have a two seater car that gets 40 mpg, my second vehicle is a motorcycle that gets 60 mpg and I keep both vehicles well tuned.

I have been replacing the crap single pane windows in my house with very high E double pain windows.

My thermostat is set to 65 degrees in the winter and my house does not have any air conditioning so the windows are open in the summer.

I have had my house resided since I bought it.

I keep my water heater temperature turned down so I don't have to mix cold water with the hot to make the temperature bearable.

I use a reel mower to cut my grass so I use no gasoline or electricity. The grass in my yard is Fescue because I live in Denver and Blue Grass uses too much water.

I try to run my errands on the way home from work so I use less gasoline.

I eat much less meat than I used to eat because raising animals for slaughter uses more energy than just raising the plants we feed those animals and most of those plants are edible to humans.

I do most of these things not only to help the environment but to save money for myself.
Monocle
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 5:57:53 PM

Humanity has absolutely pushed us far beyond any natural cycling. Hybrid car, solar hot water and pv, electric conservation, composting & rain barrels. And rock on CF - reel mower!
Buz
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 7:01:31 PM

The earth has been warming up, with the exception of a few minor ice ages, for the few thousand years since the last major ice age. It will continue to do so. How much humans are adding to that I don't now. The percentage at this point is only a guess. What we need to do is long term preparation of low lying seashore areas that are going to end up under water. Are we going to relocate masses of the population? Can we build enormous dikes to hold back the water? Would those dikes withstand massive storms and tsunamis? We may run out of oil in 50 years anyhow, so we have to create another fuel source to replace it. Do you want to chance it with nuclear power? One accident can kill us all. Solar power at this time doesn't even come close to supplying the energy we need, unless some brilliant person figures out something better than what we have. Wind power is inconsistent and doesn't even make a dent into what we need. I'm guessing the next world super power, China, will figure it out and they will tell us what to do since by then they will own us.

Monocle
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 7:17:03 PM

I'm sorry Buz, but almost everything you state as a fact above is misinformed.
Brian125
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 7:56:14 PM

follow the money and you will get your answer
Buz
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 7:58:20 PM

Monocle wrote:
I'm sorry Buz, but almost everything you state as a fact above is misinformed.

Actually no its not.

A possible scenario of global warming...

Monocle
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 8:37:15 PM

Fine, then. Point by point.

Buz wrote:
The earth has been warming up, with the exception of a few minor ice ages, for the few thousand years since the last major ice age.

This is false. www dot skepticalscience dot com/10000-years-warmer.htm

Buz wrote:
The percentage at this point is only a guess.

This is only partially true at best. We have many models, all point in the same direction. Only the speed has much uncertainty. And we can affect that speed if we change our behavior on a global scale.

Quote:
Do you want to chance it with nuclear power? One accident can kill us all.

Completely false. No single nuclear accident can cause global devastation.

Quote:
Solar power at this time doesn't even come close to supplying the energy we need, unless some brilliant person figures out something better than what we have.

False. We have the technology to make solar a significant percentage of our grid power. It _could_ if we decided to throw the resources and development behind it. Storage is the killer, but a) we have current capabilities wer could scale up and b) we continue to push that development.

Quote:
Wind power is inconsistent and doesn't even make a dent into what we need.
False. It's consistent over time in different places, and the US has a tremendous wind resource available, both on the continent and offshore.

Quote:
China, will figure it out and they will tell us what to do since by then they will own us.
False. China owns less than 10% of our debt. I don't think that percentage is growing by much, nor do I see signs of it growing in the future.

I don't know where you got your map from, but it looks like it's a map of over well over 60 meter sea level rise.
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:43:05 AM

I own and run a cattle/sheep ranch, so I understand that some of the feed I use for animals, like my egg laying chickens can go into food for humans, I get that trade off is not the best. I get not eating meat or eating less meat, both for environmental reasons and health. I do collect over 500 gallons of water anytime it rains, or like now , snows and then melts. I have a private well, but I do not treat is as my private straw into the aquifer. I treat it as a precious natural resource. Yesterday as the temp rose barely to 40 F the snow began to melt off of my main barn , i have three 50 gallon barrels arranged to collect the rain water, when i built the addition to the barn i put up the guttering to catch and divert the rain to the barrels. I then you simple garden house to create a siphon to move water to other much larger troughs for the main heard. I also use a small submersible pump to move water up to other animals. Use a rain calculator , one that shows rain fall and roof and be amazed.

Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:00:53 AM

Wind power is inconsistent and doesn't even make a dent into what we need. "

Partly true, to a point, it is not a 100 percent source unless you have a large storage capacity. Look into these two in Kansas , first a little town called GREENSBURG, Kansas and look at the Kansas Wind Energy
Kansas Wind Projects
hankyspanky
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:59:15 AM

Book first&movie a definate, second !
allinabout18times
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:26:31 AM

I installed solar panels about 2 1/2 years ago. They produce approximately 1/3 of my electric needs. In addition thhe house is cool in winter (65 degrees) and warm in summer (78 degrees sleeping, 82 degrees during the day). I own 2 bikes (OK, 3 bikes, but one is a trail bike) and from my avatar you will see that I use them (but no, I do not ride in the rain!). I catch rainwater and use it on my garden.

"If you don't do the roadwork in the dark of the morning, you get found out under the bright lights." Joe Frazier
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:01:49 AM

elitfromnorth
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:11:22 PM

One thing that is needed is that we stop building ridicilously long electric cables that go across seas and instead gun for pipelines that can transport gas. Right now they're planning on building two more cables from Norway to Germany. Sure, the energy from Norway is about 90% water and some wind and solar power, so it's one of the cleanest in the world, but the cable causes huge damage to the life on the sea floor as well as a shitload of it gets lost in transit. Start building powerplants that run on gas with proper CO2 filtering. Force the oil companies to push the CO2 they can't purify down into the wells where they drill for oil and gas. It allows them to pick up maybe a percantage or two more, which in return gives them billions. Win win situation.

Our biggest problem isn't people moaning about them having to recycle and use more public transport. Give people the chance to recycle from their homes, by putting out different bins for plastic, glass and metal, paper and so on and build proper bus routes and trains. Then people will use it. Our biggest problems is politicians not wanting to squeee the balls of the big companies that pollute.

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:47:45 AM

allinabout18times wrote:
I installed solar panels about 2 1/2 years ago. They produce approximately 1/3 of my electric needs. In addition thhe house is cool in winter (65 degrees) and warm in summer (78 degrees sleeping, 82 degrees during the day). I own 2 bikes (OK, 3 bikes, but one is a trail bike) and from my avatar you will see that I use them (but no, I do not ride in the rain!). I catch rainwater and use it on my garden.

Very cool, this is the kind of personal responsible actions that make a WORLD of difference.

Every year I plant at a minimum 5 new trees, last year i planted more. 9 Blue Spruce trees and 3 Apple trees.
Dani
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:46:24 PM

I thought this was a thread to discuss global/environmental issues...not pat ourselves on the back for not running water while we brush our teeth.

The planet is all levels of fucked up, and we really have nothing to blame but ourselves. All of these natural disasters and such that are coming out of no where should the biggest clues. The planet's trying to purge itself of all the shit we've put it through. And while every little bit helps (to a certain extent), it's gonna take more than just a little acknowledgement and awareness.

Baby put your arms around me, tell me I'm a problem...

Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:06:18 PM

slipperywhenwet2012 wrote:
I thought this was a thread to discuss global/environmental issues...not pat ourselves on the back for not running water while we brush our teeth.

The planet is all levels of fucked up, and we really have nothing to blame but ourselves. All of these natural disasters and such that are coming out of no where should the biggest clues. The planet's trying to purge itself of all the shit we've put it through. And while every little bit helps (to a certain extent), it's gonna take more than just a little acknowledgement and awareness.
"

here is what I started this thread with:

IF you believe it is man made or we are contributing what are you or have you done to stop it on an individual level.

Not looking for a political debate or how your vote for some one to do something on your behalf.

So far people have stayed on point, sharing their stories of conservation, living on less, collecting the life blood of life "water", carbon sequestering by planting trees and growing/buying local foods to reduce transportation cost/pollution.cheerleader

Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 5:47:28 PM

It's not just cyclical but man made. If it were some prompt to get the citizenry riled up, the governments would have found a way to cash in, and it would be expounded on more so than those adds against smoking with the old guy in the wheel chair, or the sexy vixen in the bathroom. Both of which turn into turnips.

Secondly, I take public transportation. Sucks, but glad to see my town takes such an issue lightly and not avail a sensible alternative to recession, global warming, dependence on foreign oil, and gridlock. I use those plastic bags from the grocery store as garbage receptacles instead of producing more plastic. I drink from the spicket. Why spend more money on more plastic, and an over priced combination of hydrogen and oxygen?

Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 12:05:16 PM

Highwayman wrote:
It's not just cyclical but man made. If it were some prompt to get the citizenry riled up, the governments would have found a way to cash in, and it would be expounded on more so than those adds against smoking with the old guy in the wheel chair, or the sexy vixen in the bathroom. Both of which turn into turnips.

Secondly, I take public transportation. Sucks, but glad to see my town takes such an issue lightly and not avail a sensible alternative to recession, global warming, dependence on foreign oil, and gridlock. I use those plastic bags from the grocery store as garbage receptacles instead of producing more plastic. I drink from the spicket. Why spend more money on more plastic, and an over priced combination of hydrogen and oxygen?

Good to see a linkage between being green and $pending less green.

I drink from a private well.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2013 7:42:17 PM

Geologist informs UK government on Climate Change Lies: Global Warming is a Fraud - Al Gore is full of shit.

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Monocle
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2013 8:45:13 PM

WellMadeMale wrote:

Geologist informs UK government on Climate Change Lies: Global Warming is a Fraud - Al Gore is full of shit.

I hope you've only brought Plimer up as a joke.
www dot climatechange dot gov.au/climate-change/understanding-climate-change/response-to-prof-plimer.aspx
Buz
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2013 10:41:19 PM

WellMadeMale
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2013 10:54:20 PM

Monocle wrote:

I hope you've only brought Plimer up as a joke.
www dot climatechange dot gov.au/climate-change/understanding-climate-change/response-to-prof-plimer.aspx

No I did not, Monocle... You need to wake up man. This isn't Progressives versus Conservatives. This isn't right vs left nor Republican vs Democrat.

This is real and has been evolving, building and being unleashed upon us since 1968. I haven't noticed it fully myself until the last few years, and then when I did first get wind of it...I chose to ignore it (5 years ago)...now I'm not listening to their propaganda anymore.

But it might be too late.

Well reasoning people like yourself have already (it appears) been sold and joined their side. Whose side? Not the side you will be invited to live on after all of their bullshit has been implemented, I can assure you.

You and I and everyone on this website - are useless eaters, pardner. As far as they are concerned.

Monocle
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 8:44:35 AM

Buz, the fact were in an interglacial isn't in question. What humanity doing to the climate system isn't either, for the scientific community at large. It's taking ever increasing denial of reality to disbelieve human causes of climate change.

WMM, lay off the conspiracy sauce. You can admit you were wrong later; 5, 10 years, whatever suits you.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 12:05:50 PM

Monocle wrote:

WMM, lay off the conspiracy sauce. You can admit you were wrong later; 5, 10 years, whatever suits you.

Monocle, if you are aligning yourself with the alarmists, the Al Gore arguments...then you sir are indeed joining up with the most misleading conspiracy theory of the last 30 years.

It's alright for you to take a deep breath and realize we are living in the middle of an interglacial warm period right now. It's okay for you to take a real look BACK at the last 600,000 years of climate change on this planet.

You are aware that this planet has experienced - just in the last 180,000 years - 4 ice ages where snow & ice has advanced down from the North Pole to cover the northern latitudes of all the continents in the northern hemisphere. All of Canada, most of northern Europe & Siberia/Asia.

When that happens, it sucks water out of the oceans. Populations migrate towards the equator. Life becomes pretty fucking difficult for those who are alive.

It has happened for thousands of years and many cycles before the Industrial Revolution of 'modern' humanity ever ramped up.

What is our combined/collective contribution to trigger the next Ice Age? Who the fuck knows. It doesn't happen overnight...it happens gradually, over the course of many human lifespans.

The Global Warming Sky is Falling mantra we've been hearing for the last 30 fucking years is just the latest salvo from the Club of Rome the Council on Foreign Relations, the IMF, the World Bank, the WTO... to enslave the majority of us further.

Go ahead and believe that bilge if that's your desire.

I choose to look at past evidences of science investigation instead of believing the stated consensus of politicians and WORLD LEADERS...who seek to tax the fuck out of the rest of humanity in order for them to keep living in their realm of affluence.

They like to keep the rest of us poor, hungry, hard working bastards - arguing amongst ourselves so we don't educate ourselves, and join up and revolt and throw them out to the fucking streets to work in the salt mines of their own creation.

You have the brain, Monocle - use it man.

Monocle
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 1:03:50 PM

WellMadeMale wrote:
You are aware that this planet has experienced...

I"m more professionally aware of it than you probably imagine.
Quote:
It has happened for thousands of years and many cycles before the Industrial Revolution of 'modern' humanity ever ramped up.

But never with the shock to the system that our industrial civilization. Ice age cycles are actually reasonably well understood (check out Milankovitch cycles). And the scale and speed of that cycle has basically nothing to do with the impact humanity has had on earth's climate since the dawn of the industrial revolution. Ice age cycles are much slower.

Quote:
The Global Warming Sky is Falling mantra we've been hearing for the last 30 fucking years is just the latest salvo from the Club of Rome the Council on Foreign Relations, the IMF, the World Bank, the WTO... to enslave the majority of us further.

I have no idea who the Club of Rome is supposed to be. But I do know the journals Science, and Nature, and the Journal of Geophysical Research, and Int. J. Climatology and the like. And I follow what's been happening climatologically for the last 30 years. You can believe insane conspiracy theories, or you can look at the data yourself.

Quote:
I choose to look at past evidences of science investigation

So you choose to ignore science. That explains a lot.

Quote:
You have the brain, Monocle - use it man.

Have done, continue to do so. Invite you to do the same.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 2:38:15 PM

You're not the only person here who has paid attention, Monocle... I enjoy your writing and your erotic stories. You write extremely well and paint vivid scenes... I applaud your skill and talent.

However - I notice that you fail to see both sides of the spectrum of many arguments and side only with your beliefs.

However it's been stated that belief is the first death of intelligence. And I find that to be true, more often than not.

Monocle wrote:
I have no idea who the Club of Rome is supposed to be.

I've listed the organizations. What do you want me to sit you down and spoon feed the information to you too? Come'on man...Use the internet for one of the best things it is... an information clearinghouse. Do your own research.

You obviously won't and are not going to believe a freaking thing anyone else types here...but the least you could do, is some minor investigation to determine whether or not you've joined the correct camp. I used to think Al Gore could do very little wrong - for instance.

Til I woke the fuck up. Maybe there's hope for the rest of us thinking homo-sapiens sapiens yet.

Monocle wrote:
But I do know the journals Science, and Nature, and the Journal of Geophysical Research, and Int. J. Climatology and the like. And I follow what's been happening climatologically for the last 30 years. You can believe insane conspiracy theories, or you can look at the data yourself.

If you're not looking at all the evidence and data, then you're just cherry picking data, Monocle... which is what the Global Warming alarmists have been doing for the last 30-40 years.

wellmademale wrote:
I choose to look at past evidences of science investigation

Monocle wrote:
So you choose to ignore science. That explains a lot.

Here you have committed a simple act of reading too fast and seeing what you wanted to see, instead of what I typed. I look at past scientific evidences - not: I look past evidences...

Come'on man... You and I want similar things, we just disagree on how to get 'there'. You're too busy demonizing the wrong people while not fully realizing that perhaps you have been duped by organizations ( like the Club of Rome ) which you know not one fucking thing about, and admit to being ignorant of.

Hey, I used to be in the same boat you admit to being in now. Out of curiosity and some amount of boredom...I decided to delve into the arguments of the Al Gore side of the house.. Global Warming BAD BAD BAD... Really? Why?

The industrial revolution generally is thought to have begun around 1760 in the UK, before spreading to America & the rest of Europe.

The sample size of the decades of excess carbon monoxide & carbon dioxide placed into the environment by mankind is rather limited. For instance, we choose to ignore the good possibilities (and the scientific evidences of) prior industrialized & technologically advanced humanity - prior to the recent 3000 years of humanity.

That's just another 'conspiracy theory' I understand - but one that unless we truly look at the evidence which occasionally springs up and is suppressed from most of us learning about...

Screws the whole pooch on the front porch before we can ever obtain a true grasp of what kind of malfunction Human influence has had on the overall climate of the planet for the last million years.

Why did the ice ages start to occur to begin with? No evidence of them for millions of years and suddenly about 700,000 years ago... this planet begins to experience them again?

Why?

Oh shit, nevermind Monocle... you'd have to read crap data & evidence that you already believe is flawed.

Monocle wrote:

Have done, continue to do so. Invite you to do the same.

Please quit typing out your ass, Monocle... You have so much more depth & articulate intelligence inside of you than to resort to lazy accusations of Conspiracy Theorist!!

Everything is a fucking conspiracy/theory/hypothesis - until it is factually ruled out or decidedly evidenced as not only quite possible but actual.

You know that... I know that... the truly and willfully ignorant are the only ones who don't fucking have a clue.

You in fact have several clues...but so do I. Let's take the time to put them together and figure out which ones to toss aside and which ones to keep - and further investigate.