Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Female sues Match.com because her date attempted to murder her. Options · View
ByronLord
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:40:50 AM

If you want to see how the courts might react to this sort of case, take a look here:

http://www.ims-expertservices.com/blog/2013/fee-request-expert-challenge/

The case was a smoking wrongful death lawsuit, the court found for the plaintif awarding $275,000 in damages which were reduced to $27,500 because they found the plaintif 90% liable.

So the first observation would be that any damages in the Match.com case would likely by rather less than the above which are typical of wrongful death. They might award $50 million but $50K would be much more likely.

The second is that expert witnesses cost more than lawyers and the dispute over the expert witness fees is likely much more than the jury award. The plaintiff is almost certainly out of pocket in this dispute.

There isn not very much Match.com could have done to avoid this situation but it isn't nothing. Match.com is a substantial organization with substantial revenues and profits backed by a public company. If I was CISO for Match.com I would expect that my legal counsel would be monitoring the situation to make sure that the company was aware of best practices in protecting customers and that those were being followed.

That is how regulation works in the US. And it sucks.

I would much rather operate in the European or Australian regime where the government makes regulations that are sensible and companies know more or less what is expected of them. But that is not the system we have here. What happens is that the corporations have lawyers who work to prevent rational regulations being passed and the only accountability mechanism left is jury awards in liability cases.

The main motivation for bringing the case is likely that the lawyer is looking to make a name for themselves as the person with experience of handling the cases that arise in the future.