Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Poll Question : Should obese people be classified as disabled?
Choice Votes Statistics
Yes, poor guys can't help it pork tastes so good 1 3 %
Yes, only if it's a medical condition 16 61 %
No way, it's usually self-inflicted 9 34 %

Should obese people be classified as disabled? Options · View
swollen
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 10:39:17 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 5/27/2010
Posts: 1,001
No, unless being obese is/was beyond their control for medical reasons.
Guest
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 10:59:22 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 534,624
vampiric_demigod wrote:
If someone was really drunk and crashed their car, injuring their spine and losing sensation in their legs would you not consider them disabled? It was their own fault wasn't it?

Obese people are not able to enjoy many of the joys that ordinary people take for granted so by definition they are disabled. Of course I understand where you are coming from in that they can reverse the damage through hard work and perhaps people are a bit harsh on you. Fact remains though that controlled trials have shown that it is very difficult to lose weight and even more difficult to maintain the weight loss if you manage it.


Dancing_Doll wrote:
I think disability is related to how able-bodied a person is. It doesn't matter to me how they got to that point (whether it was by their own hand, a medical issue, an accident, or whatever) - if the end result means that they are impaired/limited/restricted - then they are disabled.

We're talking about a very small percentage of obese people that would qualify for that category. It's not the average 'large person' - we're talking about clinical morbid obesity. I'm sure it's not a 'high-five' moment for them either to be qualified as disabled.




excellent points.. imho






Ruthie
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 3:00:43 PM

Rank: Story Verifier

Joined: 10/21/2010
Posts: 2,348
Location: United States
If an obese person can't perform the functions of living that a normal person can, then they are disabled. I don't see that it matters if I think they should be or not. They either are or they aren't. Disability isn't based on personal opinion. You can be disabled by disease and then get better, the same is true of obesity. Many diseases and disabilities are caused by personal decisions. Drinking, smoking, driving too fast, hang gliding, crossing a busy intersection, or failure to get enough exercise can all lead to disabilities. If a person has a mental problem that makes them overeat is that different than other mental problems that we call disabling?
WellMadeMale
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 8:25:07 PM

Rank: Constant Gardener

Joined: 9/30/2009
Posts: 10,288
Location: Cakeland, United States
CoopsRuthie wrote:
If an obese person can't perform the functions of living that a normal person can, then they are disabled. I don't see that it matters if I think they should be or not. They either are or they aren't. Disability isn't based on personal opinion. You can be disabled by disease and then get better, the same is true of obesity. Many diseases and disabilities are caused by personal decisions. Drinking, smoking, driving too fast, hang gliding, crossing a busy intersection, or failure to get enough exercise can all lead to disabilities. If a person has a mental problem that makes them overeat is that different than other mental problems that we call disabling?


This is the correct motorcycle.

thumbup

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
mrplow
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 1:54:37 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/5/2007
Posts: 1,030
Location: Here and now
I hadn't thought of it that way around Coops.

I've been told that the majority, around 90% of very fat / obese people, are like that through bad diet and lack of exercise.

If obesity becomes the norm, and perfectly accepted in our society as an inevitable outcome of our developed world, and selfish consumption, then god help us.





Yeah, really fucking funny.
Guest
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 3:35:35 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 534,624
mrplow wrote:
I don't wish to appear insulting to those who are obese through no fault of their own - they are in a small minority.


As someone who isn't a qualified person to make this call, I highly doubt you should be trying to give a ballpark range of who is worthy of your respect for being incidentally fat.

mrplow wrote:
Obesity is a serious issue, it effects us all on a global level.


I'm sorry, but to me this is like someone saying that they're against gay marriage because it'll ruin their own personal relationship with his/her spouse. How does someone else being fat really cause harm to you? It doesn't. End of.

mrplow wrote:
There doesn't seem to be enough being done about it. Education is the key... Kids should be taught about nutrition in classes. They should be told that being 100 Kg at the age of 16, is incredibly unhealthy. Have after school fat camps if necessary.


As someone who went through the US education system, I can assure you that education is not the key. They teach about calorie intake, output, and the food pyramid not only in TV shows for kids, but they also start putting it into the curriculum about 6th grade. And guess what? It doesn't stop people from getting fat because honestly, how many people don't know that being obese is bad for their health? I can assure you that almost no one above the age of 7 is gonna think that it's a good thing. Not only that, but most of the time, people don't even know the difference between being obese and being fat, even if they are the ones spouting off how simple it is to lose weight, because all it is is someone eating all day, non-stop.

Being obese could be caused by someone eating only one meal a day; some people are still obese even after working out for three hours for 5 days a week (if you want to fight me over the facts of my life, please try me), and a lot of the times, it's caused by stress, or because it was actually passed down to them from one of their parents http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/10/fat-genes-obesity-ucla-study-diet-exercise_n_2450108.html


mrplow wrote:
... putting them up for ridicule and for entertainment value like that, is obscene


well, Pot, meet Kettle....





Back to the original question: as CoopsRuthie said, if they can't perform the functions, then yes, they are disabled; otherwise, they aren't.
Tranquil
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 1:01:16 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/31/2013
Posts: 2,196
Location: Curled up in front of a beautiful fire
The minute they go on disability, they should be monitored. if it is due to a body malfunction then yes they should be considered disabled like any body or mind malfunction..it is a health issue.

If due to over eating an lack of exercise then they should be placed in a regime to get them off disability and become a productive member of society.

as for tickets to the world cup..No, they should have to pay but i don't believe they should have to pay for two seats either just due to their size..i believe the function managers shouldn't be trying to pack people in like a can of sardines just for a revenue hike. But again i see Greed in all events... Sports itself is just a means to a financial end.

Airplanes are another. i have seen a lady kicked off as she purchased her ticket online and didn't omit that she was a large size woman. they wanted her to pay for a second seat. its pure rubbish.



http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/my-mother-warned-me-1.aspx



[i]Poem : The Cyber Touch http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/the-cyber-touch.aspx
Poem : The Last Moments http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/the-last-moments.aspx
Story : One day only http://www.lushstories.com/stories/oral-sex/one-day-only.aspx
Poem: My Toy http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/my-toy.aspx#comments/i]


nicola
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 2:22:15 PM

Rank: Matriarch

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 25,481
Location: The Orgasmatron
Nice post Tranquil.
lambdavi
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 4:49:24 AM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 11/20/2012
Posts: 39
Location: Italy
niceguy89 wrote:
I am an obese man. Do I consider myself disabled? Not even a little bit. Every pound I gained was due to my poor choices. Sometimes spending as much as two hundred a month on fast food. Just for me! Gawed damn I'm a sorry excuse for a human being. Two years ago I broke the scales at 537 lbs. I could break a sweat by walking to the mailbox. It was the lowest I have ever sunk. So I started to work on my issues. Joined a gym, stopped eating out, and made better overall choices. It was hard at first. In fact every day is a struggle. Yet I have lost close to 80lbs. Just by using common sense in planning my meals. My plan is to increase my workouts and be under 350 before this year is over. Being fat is not a disease. It is a buffet of bad choices.


As a European, and an Italian at that, who lived most of his boyhood life in the US (Fairfax Co. VA), I was ready to leash out on this thread, until I read Mr.Niceguy's post; I agree with him 100%.

When a highschool teenager in the US, my physique was... mouth watering (I still have the pics my mother took of me at the swimming pool, or at the gym during my wrestling matches)
Once my family and I returned to the Old World, my diet also became "Old World" and, with the help of an inexistent P.E. curriculum, I piled on pound after pound, by the dozen.
When I enlisted, I was borderline overweight and quite possibly made it because of my language skills.; my height/weight ratio was NOT mouthwatering anymore, unless you were a Samoan headhunter...

During these last 35 years, I have had good times and bad times.

There were times I was lonely, heartsick, too shy to pick myself up and go and chat up a girl and court her, and I would eat... crybaby
Then there was that time I casually met a girl who thought I was "crazy and provoking" and accepted a first date, then a second, then a third...
...and her cooing ways convinced me to start eating less and lose my excess weight - and her "prizes" were most convincing :d/

We have been married these last 23 years and are looking forward to another 23 to say the least...
love7
The primary reason to obesity IS overeating, and overeating foods excessively rich in sugar, fat and salt, in that order.
When I was a teenager in the US (way back in the '70s) pizza was considered "junk food" not because it was unhealthy, but because it was "unAmerican".
On the other hand, Fritos Corn Chips, Candy Canes, KFC chicken and fried bacon was "American, hence healthy". Brick wall

I travel to the USA on a regular basis, and have noticed there are some eating habits which are hard to discourage, and food misinformation which is hard to dislodge.

Take salads, for example: why eat a healthy salad, if you ruin it with a 1000Island dressing which is basically mayonnaise with ketchup?
Bluecheese, which is bluecheese and mayonnaise ? (that's what they declare on the label if you reassemble the ingredients - I personally use milk)
Why not the traditional mediterranean olive oil, salt and vinegar?
Why do you folks insist on "vegetable oil" (which is derived from flower seeds) which is nutritionally recommended for frying, but not for direct eating, or even rapeseed and linseed oil (the latter of which is only used by carpenters, woodworkers and restorers of antique furniture, but NEVER for eating in the Mediterranean !!!)
What's wrong with olive oil, which is healthy, tried and tested and quoted in the Bible ?

America needs a culinary culture, and needs one FAST ! It is not a matter of airing cooking shows on TV, but of eating education in schools.
From that point of view, Mrs. Michelle Obama's campaign for healthy eating in schools was spot on.
It is absurd that the only people below 40, in a fit&healthy physical condition, are the military and TV drama casts (except for all the men in "According to Jim")
That, at least, is the stereotype we have here in Europe, when US tourists step off the plane...



lambdavi
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 8:51:56 AM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 11/20/2012
Posts: 39
Location: Italy
Taken from the FAIL Thread, originally posted by WellMademale



There's some truth at the base of every joke...
adagio_sabadicus
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 10:10:39 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/24/2013
Posts: 1,279
There are to many labels in the world.

[
Morgan
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 10:31:39 AM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 6/1/2011
Posts: 46
Location: A survivalist compound., United Kingdom
Screw them.

The region I live in is riddled with these fat, chinless fucks, who's only real medical complaint seems to be that they carry a walking stick and have a miserable look on their face. I see the bastards driving about in their brand new cars, paid for by the taxpayer and provided by Disability Scotland.

Unless fatassedness is the result of a straight up medical condition their bitch asses should be made to run until their boots fill up with blood.

Then sent to work.



foxjack
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 10:39:23 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 4/25/2010
Posts: 712
Location: Pierre, United States
Absolutely not, you'd have to fill half of Wal-Mart’s parking lot with handicapped spots. No matter how fat you are, you’re still better off than the person who has to struggle to get his wheel chair out of his vehicle, especially if you have to deal with some dumbass that parked too close to you while you were shopping.
NymphWriter
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 1:01:07 PM

Rank: Unicorn Rider

Joined: 8/1/2012
Posts: 1,084
Location: Las Vegas, United States
Obesity is often self inflicted. However, there are real medical condition that can cause it. However, we as a society need to stop "blaming" the world for what is wrong & take some responsibility. This is a lesson I've tried to teach my son and myself. I don't blame my problems on the government, on my spouse, on my ex-employer. I know the situation isn't all my fault, but I must accept my responsibility. I am overweight because I put the wrong food in my body & didn't exercise enough. Now, I'm working to change that. But it's not easy to make changes. I know this. However, I've started taking the necessary steps to make the changes within myself to better my quality of life.

I see too many people who get on "disability" claiming they can't work when they just don't want to. I understand there are those who can't work, and most of those really want to, and that's one thing. Being obese isn't a disability... it's a choice. It's not easy to overcome, but it can be done. It just takes hard work & determination... and getting off your lazy ass. And yes... I'm speaking from personal experience.

Thus, I'm getting off my lazy ass and hitting the gym 4-5 days a week. Sword Fight

lambdavi
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:59:22 AM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 11/20/2012
Posts: 39
Location: Italy
Image copied from another thread in this Forum.

I insist, it's a matter of culture, of education, get it into people's heads!



Need I say more ?
Buz
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 7:43:23 PM

Rank: The Linebacker

Joined: 3/2/2011
Posts: 5,769
Location: Atlanta, United States
True obesity is a growing problem in the USA. Though government standards for obesity sometimes make no sense. I was borderline obese according to government standards. I had a 31" waist and a 46" chest and participated in triathlons but my weight for height put me at the edge of being obese. Many athletes in peak condition are blindly considered obese just because of the weight of their muscle mass. Muscle does weigh more than fat.

However, one can do their own visual survey and notice that there are way too many fat people. This is just my own observation but I notice a higher percentage of fat people at Walmart stores than anywhere else. Why? Is it cultural? Is it class related? Is it income related? Is is education related? Why is obesity such a problem.

I did hear on the radio news the other day that obesity in Europe is now rising rapidly.

LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:08:04 PM

Rank: Artistic Tart

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,827
Buz wrote:
Why? Is it cultural?


Yes. Western culture loves fast food, which is mostly shitty, fatty food. Other 'western' countries don't love fast food, or rely on cars for fucking everything, or sit on their asses in general as much as in America, but we're at the cutting western edge, so we lead the way. As you mentioned, obesity is gaining (pun intended) in other countries.

Quote:
Is it class related? Is it income related? Is is education related?



Yes, yes, and yes, since all three of those are closely linked. Low-quality, shitty, fatty food is cheap, and fast, and good quality foods demand more time, or money, or both- end of story. Those with three jobs and three kids don't reasonably have the time to do it another way most of the time, and in some cases, any of the time*. People with more money have more luxuries, with both time and money. They can research healthy living recipes. They can buy organic, non-processed foods. they can afford to not get a bucket of chicken for $5, and instead cook "a good meal". They come home from their only job and can do these things. It's very, very much a class and wealth issue.** And because as a general and steady rule, education leads to money and opportunity, which leads to more education of all kinds (because there's such a thing as luxury of- and opportunity for- education, too), wealthier people learn how to be more healthy and thus less obese as well.




*cue the "they're just lazy and don't try hard enough" class-divide apologists. Those same people think most people on welfare are scamming it and blowing their checks on beamer leases and high-stakes craps games in Vegas. Pay them no mind.

**cue 'captain obvious' here, swooping in to tell us that wealthy people are fat too. Thanks, genius, didn't know that. We're talking about things that unfortunately help engender the obesity pandemic, not making no-exceptions arguments. Because, after all, rich people have the luxury to sit around and get fat intentionally and out of pure laziness and sloth, and that's not true of a giant swath of the working and under classes in America.
Buz
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:51:45 PM

Rank: The Linebacker

Joined: 3/2/2011
Posts: 5,769
Location: Atlanta, United States
Well that all makes sense Xuani. I know I am in a privileged situation and while I do like to talk about eating great greasy food from the Varsity & all, most of the time I am eating organically grown vegetables and fruit. Yes it is more expensive and many people can't afford that on their budgets.

Food in the USA is available in huge quantities and fast food & processed food is cheap.

Plus I think in our computer automated work society people burn less calories and don't get enough exercise after work. In some areas gyms or outside areas in which to exercise are not available. Gyms aren't cheap either.

SittingBallerina
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:31:42 AM

Rank: Story Verifier

Joined: 7/15/2012
Posts: 2,431
Location: Under The Bright Lights, United States
trinket wrote:



If it were as simple as that, don't you think they would do it? If someone can eat their way to 300 or 400 lb, it's my opinion there is a medical or mental issue causing the lack of motivation and over eating. Obesity in general IS classed as a disease. Just because you have a friend who is a doctor, doesn't mean he was correct in his assumption of 10%. If you do a little research, you will find that out for yourself.

Did you know there are many reasons obesity can affect people besides 'gluttony'? It can be heredity, Psychiatric illness, hypothyroidism, Cushing's syndrome, Cushing's disease, PCOS, Edema, Insulinoma, growth hormone deficiency and the eating disorders: binge eating disorder and night eating syndrome.

Certain medications may cause weight gain or changes in body composition; these include insulin, atypical antipsychotics, antidepressants, steroids, certain anticonvulsants (phenytoin and valproate), pizotifen, sulfonylureas, thiazolidinediones, and some forms of hormonal contraception. Let's also not forget over-eating may be caused by psychological issues and brain disorders as well. There's a huge list of syndromes and disorders that may or do cause obesity. I got all this information from Wikipedia under the heading of 'Obesity'. I'm sure I could find much more if I tried.

Just because you might be sitting on a plane next to an obese person who's spilling out on to your arm rest, take a moment to consider it may not be gluttony that caused this particular case of obesity. If I were sitting on a plane next to an obese person who's spilling out on to my arm rest, I would get up, speak to a flight attendant and politely ask if there are any other seats available on the plane, and tell her why.

If there are no other seats available, you might have to dig deep into your skinny-arsed soul and find just a speck of compassion for the person sitting next to you and thank Jesus it's not you having to carry all that extra weight around. Don't think it can never happen to you because it can happen to anybody.

Are you really this indignant about obese people or are you ticked off you didn't get World Cup Tickets? just asking.




Trinket nailed this one. I have Epilepsy and I'm not obese or have any of those side effects mentioned above, but I'm using myself as an example showing that as unfortunately I have to say I am disabled, but I don't label myself as it. I know side effects all too well, and one is obesity. A lot of people are ignorant to certain people, i.e an obese person. They don't stop to consider that there can be something very beautiful behind a certain criticized person. That doesn't stop the person from being beautiful on the outside as well. Unfortunately few see the beauty.
mercianknight
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:08:03 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/11/2009
Posts: 2,029
Location: whispering conspiratorially in your ear, Bermuda
Buz wrote:
True obesity is a growing problem in the USA. Though government standards for obesity sometimes make no sense. I was borderline obese according to government standards. I had a 31" waist and a 46" chest and participated in triathlons but my weight for height put me at the edge of being obese. Many athletes in peak condition are blindly considered obese just because of the weight of their muscle mass. Muscle does weigh more than fat.

However, one can do their own visual survey and notice that there are way too many fat people. This is just my own observation but I notice a higher percentage of fat people at Walmart stores than anywhere else. Why? Is it cultural? Is it class related? Is it income related? Is is education related? Why is obesity such a problem.

I did hear on the radio news the other day that obesity in Europe is now rising rapidly.


Totally agree with the above. Also bear in mind that according the the BMI scales Brad Pitt was borderline obese for his role in 'Fight Club' (can you beleive that!!) - therefore, we need to be absolutely clear as to what our definition of 'obese' is. After all, can you imagine your reaction to the "Fight Club Brad Pitt" being labelled a disabled person? bootyshake

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
shaunsgirl24
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:13:04 PM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 9/7/2011
Posts: 24
Location: New Zealand
I can and do relate to this subject, is because i am big myself, though i have no idea how much i weigh i no am big! I have been tryin to lose weight since i was a very young child, and im hopin not to be judged about it! When i was born, it was only 7 days later that they found a whole in the roof of my mouth, and in the end i had to have a special kind of bottle to feed me because it was the only way and i eat differently from others, it takes longer for me to eat and i get a saw jaw if i eat the same thing for too long, like meat! I also have an hormonal imbalance which makes it harder to lose weight!
But now me, mum, my sister n dad are all starting to eat healthy thanks to an uncle of mine! Its called the Paleo Diet, its not really a diet, its more of just a lifestyle, like eating how the caveman ate back in the day, more meat, veggies, fruits and nuts, but cannot eat peanuts something about legumes or whatever! And we hardly eat 3 meals a day now, just eat when your hungry, and i also try and do zumba everyday at home as well, its been working good so far! Since being doin paleo i find i have more energy, im not so sluggish, im starting to feel lighter and better about myself!
Sharona83
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:20:25 PM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 3/13/2013
Posts: 21
Location: United Kingdom
Not if they're in their position due to laziness and lack of effort on their part. If it's something they could have avoided by being a bit more active, then it's up to them to sort their shit out.
I'm not a cruel man but I work hard to stay in reasonable shape, despite my job making it difficult in many ways.
SittingBallerina
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:26:21 PM

Rank: Story Verifier

Joined: 7/15/2012
Posts: 2,431
Location: Under The Bright Lights, United States
mercianknight wrote:


Totally agree with the above. Also bear in mind that according the the BMI scales Brad Pitt was borderline obese for his role in 'Fight Club' (can you beleive that!!) - therefore, we need to be absolutely clear as to what our definition of 'obese' is. After all, can you imagine your reaction to the "Fight Club Brad Pitt" being labelled a disabled person? bootyshake


The BMI scale is bull shit. Of course it is accurate to an extent, it's not 100% reliable.
LYFBUZ
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:02:33 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 12/27/2012
Posts: 3,381
Location: 1st star to the left, Canada
We should spend less time on labels and more on providing help and support
shaunsgirl24
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 1:38:34 AM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 9/7/2011
Posts: 24
Location: New Zealand
Juat cos a person is big or fat dont make em disabled unless they are unable to do things for themselves then yes they are! When i was in high school i was told by a senior that i should stay big cos big ppl are nice! Which is not so entirely true, it dont matter if a person is big, fat, skinny, short, tall, slim, trim, everyone is and can be nice and kind, respect and love and accept urself and then others will learn to do so also!!! Just sayin thats all!!!
lambdavi
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 4:06:19 AM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 11/20/2012
Posts: 39
Location: Italy
TWO COMMENTS:

1. Europeans are rapidly ricing on the obesity scale: define "European"; Portuguese ? Greek ? Swede ? They are all European, YET they are all a good 5000 Km from each other and belong to ethnic groups which are so different, the statement simply doesn't make sense.
On the other hand, ever since the 1970, when Kraft and other "pseudo-fake imitation of looks like food" producers started selling "school snacks", the weight of the average school age child has increased... not nice. In the old days, a school child would have an apple, or a home made sandwich as snack, now it's all industrial junk foods made with hydrogenated fats. UGH !

2. Alansgirl23, if you REALLY ate Paleo, you'd be starving... I'm sorry for the hole in your palate (you really should learn to spell...) but in Paleo days that would have seen you dead by week two of your life, so don't complain. Paleo man ate an array of foods you would refuse simply because you are American. You don't believe me? Paleo didn't eat steak, nor burgers, but he would eat raw liver fresh out of his game's body, as he would eat the heart, kidneys, spleen, lungs and brain. There are many ways to cook these, check oput Italian or Jewish (or Polish or Russian) cookbooks - the really good ones, not the "spaghetti bolognese" ones. Similarly, cows' feet, pork's legs, fish stew... Paleo didn't need to ZUMBA to feel fit and healthy, he would WALK and RUN all day.
Stop driving to Wally's, I don't care if it's a full mile away, walk there and back, see how you feel after a week's grocery shopping. THAT's PALEO, what you describe is a food fad.
shaunsgirl24
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 4:34:35 AM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 9/7/2011
Posts: 24
Location: New Zealand
Lambdavi

Maybe your right, but im not American hon! Besides it seems to be working for us, im not starving myself, i never have, we just stopped eating like more than 2 plates of food! Like one big plate is enough, and if it sounded like i was complaining, then im sorry, i never meant it to come out like that! Been eating lots of fruit and nuts instead of reaching for sweets or other sugary food really! More veggies, meat! Sure i walk, i do pamphlet deliveries, and when my dad and i deliver them, we walk, go back and forth instead of using the car, found it more enjoyable getting more walking and exercise done that way!!! Tho i am not into the running thing at all, me i prefer to walk at my own pace! Tho thanks for pointing out the facts for me! But for me i more or less prefer mine thanks hon!!!
LadyX
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 7:44:45 AM

Rank: Artistic Tart

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,827
lambdavi wrote:
TWO COMMENTS:

1. Europeans are rapidly ricing on the obesity scale: define "European"; Portuguese ? Greek ? Swede ? They are all European, YET they are all a good 5000 Km from each other and belong to ethnic groups which are so different, the statement simply doesn't make sense.


The statement includes all within the continent of Europe. What would have to change for it to make sense to you? Would Europe need to be smaller in land size? More ethnically homogenous? Your objection to the grouping is what doesn't really make sense. From the northwestern to the southeastern corner of the continental US is roughly 5600 km, and as I'm sure you're aware, many diverse ethnic groups make up the population. In which case, do you think it's silly to make statistics about Americans?
Quote:

On the other hand, ever since the 1970, when Kraft and other "pseudo-fake imitation of looks like food" producers started selling "school snacks", the weight of the average school age child has increased... not nice. In the old days, a school child would have an apple, or a home made sandwich as snack, now it's all industrial junk foods made with hydrogenated fats. UGH !


Yes, exactly. And industrial junk food is cheap and easy. This is a big part of the problem.
Quote:

2. Alansgirl23, if you REALLY ate Paleo, you'd be starving... I'm sorry for the hole in your palate (you really should learn to spell...) but in Paleo days that would have seen you dead by week two of your life, so don't complain. Paleo man ate an array of foods you would refuse simply because you are American. You don't believe me? Paleo didn't eat steak, nor burgers, but he would eat raw liver fresh out of his game's body, as he would eat the heart, kidneys, spleen, lungs and brain. There are many ways to cook these, check oput Italian or Jewish (or Polish or Russian) cookbooks - the really good ones, not the "spaghetti bolognese" ones. Similarly, cows' feet, pork's legs, fish stew... Paleo didn't need to ZUMBA to feel fit and healthy, he would WALK and RUN all day.
Stop driving to Wally's, I don't care if it's a full mile away, walk there and back, see how you feel after a week's grocery shopping. THAT's PALEO, what you describe is a food fad.


Nice condescension. But actually, all she was doing was referencing a trademarked diet plan. http://thepaleodiet.com/ I'm sure it's a gimmicky fad diet just like the rest of them, yes, but if they work for nobody then they really don't catch on. It appears to work in her case, so good for her.
Magical_felix
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 8:13:59 AM

Rank: Wild at Heart

Joined: 4/3/2010
Posts: 4,902
Location: California
What's the difference between a person that is so fat that they are disabled and a person that went rock climbing, slipped, fell and got paralyzed? The rock climber was doing something unnecessary. Something that was purely for fun just like an obese person that eats too much to fill some void in their lives.

They both did it to themselves... But I am sure no one would jump on the paralyzed rock climber and say that they don't deserve the disabled label or help because, hey, they did it to themselves.



Guest
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 11:19:05 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 534,624
Magical_felix wrote:
What's the difference between a person that is so fat that they are disabled and a person that went rock climbing, slipped, fell and got paralyzed? The rock climber was doing something unnecessary. Something that was purely for fun just like an obese person that eats too much to fill some void in their lives.

They both did it to themselves... But I am sure no one would jump on the paralyzed rock climber and say that they don't deserve the disabled label or help because, hey, they did it to themselves.


Lapplause Lapplause Lapplause Lapplause




Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.