Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Poll Question : Who will win?
Choice Votes Statistics
GSP 6 100 %
Nick Diaz 0 0 %

UFC 158 George St Pierre vs Nick Diaz Options · View
Kitanica
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 6:31:07 PM

Anyone else think pay per view is too much?
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 7:38:45 AM

I think the co-main event turned out to be more exciting than the main event on this card, but loved seeing GSP get that well deserved win.

PPV is way too expensive, agreed.

Have you ever tried the free live online streams? They're worth checking out, especially for some of the weaker cards.

Buz
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 7:36:52 PM

I had voted for GSP. Sometimes we get a group together and everyone pitches in to pay for the Pay Per View. I've heard older folks talk about how World Boxing Champions used to be household names that everyone knows and how PPV has killed that. Average people can't tell you much who the champs are. PPV is doing the same to UFC I think. While it does generate great revenue it really cuts down on mass viewing and name recognition with the masses.

Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 3:21:04 AM

I hear who won from other media sources and then watch the fight later when it is on standard channels. So I am not sure that PPV really reduces name recognition since they normally only pertain to certain fights. Kind of like if the put the Superbowl on PPV, people would still know who the teams and players on the teams were. But that is just how I see it.

I am not a huge fan of PPV "events" though.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 8:44:58 AM

Unfortunately it takes ages for fights from recent PPV cards to make their way to regular television channels and they're pretty strict about copyright take-downs if people try to post fights later on youtube, for example.

Over the past year or so, I think they've been pretty good about showing a lot of free fight cards on television on FX and Fox with bigger names though. Some of them are pretty decently stacked. I think that helps gain more fans, who then, after being hooked will feel compelled to shell out the $ for PPV, but in the meantime it gives the sport more visibility and nice freebies for fans.

Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 8:53:24 AM

Dancing_Doll wrote:
Unfortunately it takes ages for fights from recent PPV cards to make their way to regular television channels and they're pretty strict about copyright take-downs if people try to post fights later on youtube, for example.

Over the past year or so, I think they've been pretty good about showing a lot of free fight cards on television on FX and Fox with bigger names though. Some of them are pretty decently stacked. I think that helps gain more fans, who then, after being hooked will feel compelled to shell out the $ for PPV, but in the meantime it gives the sport more visibility and nice freebies for fans.

I agree.
Nikki703
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 1:56:00 PM

We have a local sports bar that always has the UFC PPV live. This place shows most big PPV events live for free. They always draw a big crowd for UFC,especially the last Ronda Rousy fight. Almost as big as for wrestling,LOL
Kitanica
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:55:29 PM

Dancing_Doll wrote:
I think the co-main event turned out to be more exciting than the main event on this card, but loved seeing GSP get that well deserved win.

PPV is way too expensive, agreed.

Have you ever tried the free live online streams? They're worth checking out, especially for some of the weaker cards.

Yes I've tried, but finding one that also works on a phone is exceedingly difficult. I've gotten a few to work in the past but several of the sites were closed. I posted this leading up to the fight, I watched part of the main event after it was posted on YouTube and I heard that it was disappointing compared to the fight leading into it. More bark than bite, but yeah 45+ for less than a few hours a gamble. if it was 10-20$ I wouldn't mind but when you get into the 40-50-60 ranges it should be a monthly deal. Not a one night thing, that's about the cost of Showtime and Encore monthly, for that price I'd rather have Californication, Dexter, and my movie channels.
I always watch the free ones, I'm glad they've finally started showing freebies every few weeks, I believe the last one was number 6 when they debuted the flyweight division. I finally have a ufc weightclass icon_biggrin

I was excited for this one because I haven't seen gsp fight in a fair amount of time so I bought into the hype, I should know better after getting aliens: colonial marines.
(I doubt many will understand that reference though.)

I agree buz, most people only know the old big names like silva, evans, rampage, liddell... no one knows the new guys, who don't follow the sport with a magnifying glass. I'm guilty of it as well to some extent.

Dancing_Doll
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 6:43:29 PM

Kitanica wrote:

Yes I've tried, but finding one that also works on a phone is exceedingly difficult. I've gotten a few to work in the past but several of the sites were closed. I posted this leading up to the fight, I watched part of the main event after it was posted on YouTube and I heard that it was disappointing compared to the fight leading into it. More bark than bite, but yeah 45+ for less than a few hours a gamble. if it was 10-20$ I wouldn't mind but when you get into the 40-50-60 ranges it should be a monthly deal. Not a one night thing, that's about the cost of Showtime and Encore monthly, for that price I'd rather have Californication, Dexter, and my movie channels.
I always watch the free ones, I'm glad they've finally started showing freebies every few weeks, I believe the last one was number 6 when they debuted the flyweight division. I finally have a ufc weightclass icon_biggrin

I was excited for this one because I haven't seen gsp fight in a fair amount of time so I bought into the hype, I should know better after getting aliens: colonial marines.
(I doubt many will understand that reference though.)

I agree buz, most people only know the old big names like silva, evans, rampage, liddell... no one knows the new guys, who don't follow the sport with a magnifying glass. I'm guilty of it as well to some extent.

I PM'd you the links I know of. Not sure if they work on a phone though. I totally agree about cost. They could probably make the same amount of money and markedly increase their fan base if PPVs were $20.

I don't necessarily follow with a magnifying glass, but I know all the key up-and-coming players and lesser known fighters. Thanks to the guy(s) that first got me into it, I can definitely hold my own. The dirty bets along the way also offered incentive for me to know my stuff as well. I like to win. :)

Re GSP - his previous fight with Condit was actually more exciting/intense than this last one with Diaz. I love the guy but am used to seeing him win decisions. His really dynamic period in the sport seems like it was before my time unfortunately. He is still extremely entertaining to watch but I was really hoping to see him finish Diaz. There's a different mindset when you're defending a title as a longterm champ though... an element of caution always factors in. He's so good that he can afford to be more strategic with his gameplan.