Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Where does your food - come from? Options · View
WellMadeMale
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 1:24:47 PM

Are you still eating seafood harvested from the Gulf of Mexico? Even after the pollution damage (which simply was sunk under the surface) from the BP oil spill of 2010?

Are you purchasing & eating any seafood taken from the North Pacific - even after the radiation poisoning from the reactors in Fukushima (that's still ongoing, by the way). Do your crab legs glow in the dark?

Are you purchasing any ingredients from your grocer labeled as 100% organic (from China)?

Britain is experiencing their horsemeat fiasco... before that, it was madcow. America routinely drugs their cattle, pigs & fowl. Injecting them or feeding them growth hormones and medications. This shit doesn't go away...it goes right into the meat and milk and eggs. What doesn't go into the end product - is expelled into vast sewage lagoons which leach into groundwater (which we try to clean and then drink - ourselves).

Do you know what you're eating? This isn't about bashing China...this is about knowing who doesn't give a shit about you - the consumer.

Environmental pollution has decreased in America over the last 30 years... because our manufacturing base fled to China & other 'developing' countries where there was and still is no environmental oversight or EPA to worry about appeasing. Less pollution in America - turning China into the world's cesspool.

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Dirty_D
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 8:31:19 PM

The beef in my freezer was bottle fed by me. I know what they ate and how they lived.

nicola
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 11:05:40 PM

I refuse to buy any food from China.

Example - the garlic I see in the shops here in Australia, originating from China, is bright white. It doesn't perish after 3 months in a cupboard. Garlic shouldn't be that colour nor last that long.

Irradiated and GM foods aren't good for you, no matter what the so called (and paid off) "industry experts" may tell you to the contrary about their safety.

GM foods should be outlawed. The reality is they will never be, our overpopulation issues are already stressing the current global food output. God knows what the situation is going to be like, even in 20 years time.
Buz
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 11:36:52 PM

Food is going to be an enormous world problem in the future. 'Organic' food can't be grown in the quantity to feed an overpopulated world. Though I purchase a lot of 'organic' vegetables and beef. I especially like to get products from farmers markets and I love to get stuff from my granddad's farm. He doesn't sell beef anymore. His current cows are all like pets to him.

I have been just sick about all the damage done by BP in the Gulf of Mexico. It is a lot worse than y'all know. The government has been really downplaying the damage. A UGA scientific study proved that it is much worse. The media barely reported that. They are just lackeys for government propaganda.

But even worse than the BP oil spill is all the fertilizer damage coming down the Mississippi River into the Gulf of Mexico. There already was a huge dead zone spreading out from the Mississippi River delta into the Gulf. The Corn Lobby is one of the most powerful in the USA and as long as they grow mass amounts of corn for non-food products they will continue to pollute the ground with mass amounts of fertilizer and insecticides and allowing it to flow into the Mississippi River basin, and the Gulf of Mexico. The damage is shocking! Once that pollution makes its way around the tip of Florida and gets into the Gulf Stream it will greatly speed up the melting of the ice in the North Atlantic and add shrinking ice around the North Pole. It will help kill the Atlantic Ocean currents and create more Atlantic super hurricanes along with warming up the temperatures of Europe and North America.

The thing is that corn is not the best vegetable for those non-food products. Soybeans are. Soybeans require much less fertilizer and insecticides and don't drain the soil of nutrients like corn does. Soybeans are a much eco-friendlier source but changing to soybeans would hurt the economy of the American Midwest very badly.

It's an assbackwards fucked up world y'all and its getting worse.

Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 11:41:57 PM

It is scary isn't it? That old saying "you are what you eat" causes me to pause for thought.

I agree with Nicola too, regarding GM foods, but I think the dollar will rule there and we'll see more of it.

I doubt I'll eat another prawn again after latest news articles.

I don't buy any imported food and try to buy organic. I think Australia is still fairly strict on what producers can get away with. We have labeling rules that keep us informed as to what's in any given processed food, but how many hormones are fed to livestock is another matter.

I remember back in the day when bread was dry after just one day, now it keeps for ages. Something called humectants are added. These days, I don't eat bread.
suezq
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 2:25:12 AM

I work in a bakery, and have customers complain that the bread got moldy after 3 or 4 days. We don't use preservatives, but most have gotten accustomed to to the commercial bread with a 2 week shelf life. Yes, it stays in the same state for 2 weeks, but is that a state you want your food in? Stores now have to identify the country of origin on their produce, but who knows what is in the processed foods or where it came from.
Most have chosen convenience foods and fast food take out over nutrition, flavor and environment. Not many read a label these days.
Buz
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 8:47:43 AM

Like I said before I purchase as much organic food as possible.

One major problem with organic food is that there is a higher chance of it being dirty. So you will need to spend more time washing it.

If you know the seller you should be better off but many sources of organic food don't meet the same inspection standards as food grown on mass corporate farms and processed at industrial food processing plants. That is true here in the USA anyhow. It might be different in other nations.

Washing the vegetables thoroughly can prevent severe cases of diarrhea and food poisoning. That's good incentive for me.

mynameisearl
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 10:43:06 AM

i have no clue where my foof comes from. if i have a coupon for something i'll buy it.
nicola
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 2:42:02 PM

Interesting article on the dangers of food irradiation.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 7:53:17 PM

nicola wrote:
Interesting article on the dangers of food irradiation.

Wow...I had some idea of why I wanted to avoid irradiated foods, but no inkling of all this crap. Whoever thought this would be a good idea, probably won a Nobel and should've been tarred & feathered instead.

ick

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Buz
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 8:18:04 PM

WellMadeMale wrote:

Wow...I had some idea of why I wanted to avoid irradiated foods, but no inkling of all this crap. Whoever thought this would be a good idea, probably won a Nobel and should've been tarred & feathered instead.

ick

Well stated. Irradiation is scary as hell. We are what we eat.

Hey and those Nobel Prizes are funded on a fortune created from the patented invention of dynamite.

Tranquil
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 8:21:06 PM

fruit and veges grown outside my back door,
beef and Lamb organic farmer down the road
Chicken....now this is the problem. i don't have chickens but i do buy organic free range Chickens from the supermarket, i can only hope the laws here make sure that they are indeed organically raised.

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/my-mother-warned-me-1.aspx

[i]Poem : The Cyber Touch http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/the-cyber-touch.aspx
Poem : The Last Moments http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/the-last-moments.aspx
Story : One day only http://www.lushstories.com/stories/oral-sex/one-day-only.aspx
Poem: My Toy http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/my-toy.aspx#comments/i]

Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 9:28:00 PM

We grow as much as we can, fruits vegetables and berries. Canning, freezing and drying so that we can have fresh homegrown products all winter. It is Really important to understand hat I in your foods. I also only feed my dogs holistic foods.
kylie_kained
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 9:41:12 PM

As many of you will know by now it seems in the U.K many beef products have been found to contain horse meat some by up to 80% angry9 A lot from Ireland and the Eastern Block countries.

nicola
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:44:25 AM

kyliekained wrote:
As many of you will know by now it seems in the U.K many beef products have been found to contain horse meat some by up to 80% angry9 A lot from Ireland and the Eastern Block countries.

Thanks for the post KK, now here's your sugarlump icon_smile

Nikki703
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 8:43:56 AM

nicola wrote:

Example - the garlic I see in the shops here in Australia, originating from China, is bright white. It doesn't perish after 3 months in a cupboard. Garlic shouldn't be that colour nor last that long.

Irradiated and GM foods aren't good for you, no matter what the so called (and paid off) "industry experts" may tell you to the contrary about their safety.

GM foods should be outlawed. The reality is they will never be, our overpopulation issues are already stressing the current global food output. God knows what the situation is going to be like, even in 20 years time.

I totally agree on all!!

And I try not to buy anything (not just food) from China, though it is virtually impossible these days!
MrLosAngeles
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 11:40:51 AM

Well, from many places. My pastas come from Italy as do my San Marzano canned tomatoes. My produce, milk, and eggs are mostly local, though the latest crop of blackberries are from Mexico. For fresh vegetables and fruit, I base purchases on aroma because if it has no scent, it won't taste either.
keoloke
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 9:24:16 PM

If toys are not good (toxic paints) from China than we can imagine how’s the food.

Remember S O i L - The emphasis is on Seasonal Organic and Local as much as you can.

Also cook more at home. You know what goes or can go on in your kitchen, than you can imagine but still underestimate what goes on in a restaurant kitchen and they are all stressed by financial commitments.. read also greedy.

Fish is been under scrutiny right now here in NY. Words as wild or sushi graded are not much associated with the real meaning. Restaurants that serve $30 Wild Red Snapper.. it's really a $3 tilapia from an overcrowded farmed tank.

Check these interesting documentaries FOOD MATTER and FOOD INC

Choose n Practice Happiness

Life is simple; we are what we eat and what we read. Talk is superfluous.
keoloke
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 9:55:49 PM

Tranquil wrote:
fruit and veges grown outside my back door,
beef and Lamb organic farmer down the road
Chicken....now this is the problem. i don't have chickens but i do buy organic free range Chickens from the supermarket, i can only hope the laws here make sure that they are indeed organically raised.

Bless You

Choose n Practice Happiness

Life is simple; we are what we eat and what we read. Talk is superfluous.
Necho
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 4:09:32 AM

nicola wrote:

Example - the garlic I see in the shops here in Australia, originating from China, is bright white. It doesn't perish after 3 months in a cupboard. Garlic shouldn't be that colour nor last that long. .

I totally didn't know that until my flatmate's boyfriend told me I was eating chemical garlic, I was actually quite shocked! I thought they were just grown somewhere in the far south of NZ. Silly Me.

I must admit, in NZ they are rather anal about labelling everything and where it comes from so I would like to think we are safe if only I read the labels. What really worries me is all the stuff they put ON my fruit and veg, for example the stuff they wax cucumbers with can be really harmful in large quantities.I am definitely a pealer now.

For the most part I try and only eat in season to be a bit safer. Pour Wine