Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Humor Month Competition Support Thread Options · View
Guest
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 8:38:51 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 534,661
Hey everyone!

I thought it might be helpful to have a thread where authors can discuss the competition, offer ideas, shamelessly plug their entries &c. &c. &c. So here it is! The contest rules are here: http://www.lushstories.com/competitions/humor-month.aspx and the deadline is April 12th, so get writing!

I'm working on an entry now; hopefully it's ready in time. I tend to be a slow writer. I'm looking forward to submitting to my first contest here at Lush Stories.

How's everyone else doing?
Liz
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 10:02:59 AM

Rank: Scarlet Seductress

Joined: 1/22/2013
Posts: 4,633
Location: In the sweet shop, United Kingdom
Hi Matt,

Good idea for a thread :)
I am working on one myself and would be interested to know peoples preferences on narrative mode.
Do you like to read stories more in the first, second or third person view?

Liz



Coco
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 10:49:57 AM

Rank: Story Lover

Joined: 7/22/2011
Posts: 4,446
Location: Fantasy City, United States
As a mod here, let me say that you guys should be careful about sharing ideas and discussions about the content of stories. Thank you for entering and good luck!

Liz
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 11:47:15 AM

Rank: Scarlet Seductress

Joined: 1/22/2013
Posts: 4,633
Location: In the sweet shop, United Kingdom
cocokisses wrote:
As a mod here, let me say that you guys should be careful about sharing ideas and discussions about the content of stories. Thank you for entering and good luck!


Hey Coco,

No problem, was only an enquiry into general reading preferences.
Nothing specific.

Liz



Coco
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 12:02:37 PM

Rank: Story Lover

Joined: 7/22/2011
Posts: 4,446
Location: Fantasy City, United States
Oh, I understood.

It's just that many people read these posts and I wouldn't want any ideas to get stolen or any such madness to come about. No worries Liz.

sprite
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 2:15:20 PM

Rank: Her Royal Spriteness

Joined: 6/18/2010
Posts: 14,526
Location: My Tower, United States
lizzy94 wrote:
Hi Matt,

Good idea for a thread :)
I am working on one myself and would be interested to know peoples preferences on narrative mode.
Do you like to read stories more in the first, second or third person view?

Liz


personally, i enjoy first person best, and then third. honestly VERY few people can pull of second person well (unless they're Ashleigh) and i rarely read those, unless forced to. :)

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/hardcore/west-coast-games-part-one-the-beach.aspx
sprite
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 2:17:56 PM

Rank: Her Royal Spriteness

Joined: 6/18/2010
Posts: 14,526
Location: My Tower, United States
oh, and yes, i'm writing for this one, i have a story idea down solid, style is something i'm working on, i had it half written and ditched it, cause it wasn't crazy enough and started over. there, the glove has been thrown. ;)

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/hardcore/west-coast-games-part-one-the-beach.aspx
clum
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 2:33:35 PM

Rank: Clumeleon

Joined: 5/13/2011
Posts: 4,462
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
When this comp was announced (or rather when it was pre-announced in the mod forum), I was determined not to enter. The majority of my recent stories have come about as a result of competitions Lush holds and I have so many other projects that are being left unfinished. Also, I have barely any time recently.

However, as usually happens, I was thinking about the competition and an idea flashed fully-formed into my mind. I found some time to start writing it when I was traveling and have done a good bulk of it on this current jaunt to London.

I'm going for all-out ridiculous. Just completely over the top, in your face, whatthefuckiswrongwiththisguy humour. I figured if I took the competition too seriously, my writing wouldn't be funny.

An interesting by-product, that I totally wasn't expecting, is that it's also quite sexy. I'm using more colourful language than I might have were I actually writing an erotic piece and I've found myself quite aroused by some of the scenes I've created. Kind of hope no one on the train noticed the bulge in my jeans...

Bit shorter than my usual comp entries because I thought the joke would be more effective if it was to the point. Should get it finished tonight or tomorrow and post it tomorrow or Monday.

Every day is a school day.
Shylass
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 3:58:36 PM

Rank: Gingerbread Lover

Joined: 1/6/2012
Posts: 3,595
Location: Trumpton, United Kingdom
I can't stand first person (particularly in present tense). Most pieces I've read using that point of view are less than the best, I'm sorry to say. I tried to make friends with it by writing some pieces that way, but I came to the conclusion that I do, indeed, hate it.

I much prefer to read third person, past tense. That way, the author does not attempt to impose their emotions and activity on me. It takes a lot of skill not to irritate me. A good author, in my opinion, will give me an overview of many characters, and not limit their view of action. I understand why others like first person, but I'll actively avoid it.

I wasn't going to enter, but there is a potato up for grabs...

I am really excited to see what you guys produce, since humour and ludicrous stories are what I look for most. I love them. sunny



Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

***
********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Liz
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 5:07:29 AM

Rank: Scarlet Seductress

Joined: 1/22/2013
Posts: 4,633
Location: In the sweet shop, United Kingdom
Shylass wrote:
I can't stand first person (particularly in present tense). Most pieces I've read using that point of view are less than the best, I'm sorry to say. I tried to make friends with it by writing some pieces that way, but I came to the conclusion that I do, indeed, hate it.

I much prefer to read third person, past tense. That way, the author does not attempt to impose their emotions and activity on me. It takes a lot of skill not to irritate me. A good author, in my opinion, will give me an overview of many characters, and not limit their view of action. I understand why others like first person, but I'll actively avoid it.

I wasn't going to enter, but there is a potato up for grabs...

I am really excited to see what you guys produce, since humour and ludicrous stories are what I look for most. I love them. sunny



Going to attempt to change your mind in this regards by making you wet yourself with laughter :)
Tried to convert my story to 3rd person but it just didn't read right, 1st person it is... bites nails nervously



Shylass
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 5:21:04 AM

Rank: Gingerbread Lover

Joined: 1/6/2012
Posts: 3,595
Location: Trumpton, United Kingdom
lizzy94 wrote:


Going to attempt to change your mind in this regards by making you wet yourself with laughter :)
Tried to convert my story to 3rd person but it just didn't read right, 1st person it is... bites nails nervously


In that case, I will make the effort to read it. A skilled writer can pull it off *snigger*.

Good luck! sunny


Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

***
********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Dirty_D
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 5:23:31 PM

Rank: Head Nurse

Joined: 4/15/2011
Posts: 7,182
Location: Soaking up the sun, United States
Shylass wrote:

I am really excited to see what you guys produce, since humour and ludicrous stories are what I look for most. I love them. sunny


Me too, but I am no where near funny enough to write them. I'll be looking forward to reading and voting though!

Shylass
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 5:36:49 PM

Rank: Gingerbread Lover

Joined: 1/6/2012
Posts: 3,595
Location: Trumpton, United Kingdom
naughtynurse wrote:


Me too, but I am no where near funny enough to write them. I'll be looking forward to reading and voting though!


Try doing what I did. I tried my hardest to write something serious that people would find both sensual and arousing. Most people told me they couldn't stop laughing at it. d'oh!

You never really know until you try, I say. It doesn't have to be for the competition, but it's good to stretch all our skills sometimes. That's what I think, anyway. sunny



Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

***
********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Liz
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 3:11:55 AM

Rank: Scarlet Seductress

Joined: 1/22/2013
Posts: 4,633
Location: In the sweet shop, United Kingdom
Shylass wrote:


Try doing what I did. I tried my hardest to write something serious that people would find both sensual and arousing. Most people told me they couldn't stop laughing at it. d'oh!

You never really know until you try, I say. It doesn't have to be for the competition, but it's good to stretch all our skills sometimes. That's what I think, anyway. sunny



You write humour beautifully!
Made me want to go and buy a big bag of potatoes...



DirtyMartini
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 12:51:50 PM

Rank: Purveyor of Poetry & Porn

Joined: 10/19/2009
Posts: 5,789
Location: Right here on Lush Stories..., United States
Shylass wrote:


I wasn't going to enter, but there is a potato up for grabs...



Yes, there is indeed a potato involved...and that could make all the difference my friends...




You know you want it, you know you need it bad...get it now on Amazon.com...
Lush Erotica, an Anthology of Award Winning Sex Stories

keoloke
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:55:19 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/12/2010
Posts: 599
Location: United States
Shylass wrote:


......... I am really excited to see what you guys produce, since humour and ludicrous stories are what I look for most. I love them. sunny



I absolutely second that. Especially a parody. Waiting...


Choose n Practice Happiness

Life is simple; we are what we eat and what we read. Talk is superfluous.
seanabumble
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 2:37:23 AM

Rank: Advanced Wordsmith

Joined: 8/12/2012
Posts: 50
Location: United Kingdom
Ok Im thinking of entering my first lush competition. This is probably explained somewhere, but how are the winners picked? If it's on number of votes then that favours the people with hundreds of friends. If it's on average score that's better but open to rivals voting you a 1. Or is there a panel of wise old owls who read them all and choose the winner.
nicola
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 4:43:24 AM

Rank: Matriarch

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 25,484
Location: The Orgasmatron
seanabumble wrote:
Or is there a panel of wise old owls who read them all and choose the winner.


This icon_smile

The friend effect is negated, by a few of us (who've read thousands and thousands of stories) reading the majority of the stories.

It's necessary we do so, because it's easy to amass a whole bunch of friends, and artificially inflate the scores. The highest average scores are only one factor.

If you're thinking of entering, I'd do so soon, or you may not reach the 10 vote minimum required, to be included in the final voting.

Good luck!

hotgirluk26
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 5:14:31 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/15/2013
Posts: 125
Location: Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
I am only on here to say how absolutely wonderful, kind and generous the judging panel are(unless of course they do not award the prize to me, in which case I take it all back) and to shamelessly plug my story.
eiffel2007
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 7:00:58 AM

Rank: Advanced Wordsmith

Joined: 4/13/2012
Posts: 58
Location: United Kingdom
As a first timer with only two lush friends I tend not to get many people give scores on my stories. So I suspect I may struggle (based on past experience) to reach the 10 vote threshold even though I do tend to have a high average. So if anyone would be kind enough to read and vote on my story (Fairy Fairy Quite Contrary - link below) I would very much appreciate it. It would be a shame to miss out on that potato simply because I don't have enough friends to vote me into the reckoning.

I should also say that I have received some lovely comments from fellow competitors and I am warmed and encouraged by the camaraderie they have shown.

CurlyGirly
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 7:39:00 AM

Rank: CurlyFries

Joined: 10/5/2012
Posts: 1,776
Location: United States
eiffel2007 wrote:
As a first timer with only two lush friends I tend not to get many people give scores on my stories. So I suspect I may struggle (based on past experience) to reach the 10 vote threshold even though I do tend to have a high average. So if anyone would be kind enough to read and vote on my story (Fairy Fairy Quite Contrary - link below) I would very much appreciate it. It would be a shame to miss out on that potato simply because I don't have enough friends to vote me into the reckoning.

I should also say that I have received some lovely comments from fellow competitors and I am warmed and encouraged by the camaraderie they have shown.


Something I've asked other authors before who say they don't get many reads/votes, do you read and comment on stories here? Have you read and commented on any of the comp entries? Support other authors on Lush, and they will be more than willing to support you. It's a great way to get additional reads if you don't want to collect a bunch of friends. You're also supporting other authors, and as an author you know how much you appreciate it. Take the first step!


Good luck everyone. I've read some really funny entries.



It won a potato. Aren't you intrigued?



eiffel2007
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 8:22:07 AM

Rank: Advanced Wordsmith

Joined: 4/13/2012
Posts: 58
Location: United Kingdom
CurlyGirly wrote:


Something I've asked other authors before who say they don't get many reads/votes, do you read and comment on stories here? Have you read and commented on any of the comp entries? Support other authors on Lush, and they will be more than willing to support you. It's a great way to get additional reads if you don't want to collect a bunch of friends. You're also supporting other authors, and as an author you know how much you appreciate it. Take the first step!


Good luck everyone. I've read some really funny entries.


Funnily enough I received your comment on my story, and in turn read, enjoyed and commented on yours before I read your post above. So yes it does work. Certainly in the competition environment at least (I'm not so sure it does the rest of the time).


eiffel2007
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 8:44:40 AM

Rank: Advanced Wordsmith

Joined: 4/13/2012
Posts: 58
Location: United Kingdom
CurlyGirly wrote:


Something I've asked other authors before who say they don't get many reads/votes, do you read and comment on stories here?


I'm going slightly off topic, so a mod can feel free to delete this. I think in general there is a real advantage to having lots of friends who vote quickly when you first post a story. I rarely look beyond the first page or 2 of new stories and my eyes are naturally drawn to stories that have a high number of votes and a high average, as well as an enticing title/premise. Who wants to waste their time with a duff story? The scores can be a good guide if you want a quick fix.

If others apply a similar philosophy then it is easy to see how some stories gain a momentum, while other stories that may be great, flounder and sink.

In my case, by posting at the wrong point in the week I have had stories disappear from the front page before either of my friends have had a chance to read them. Once it is off the front page it is out of sight, out of mind. It won't get many readers and it won't get many scores. And then faced with a choice between a story that has 35 votes (Avg 4.88) or 2 votes (Avg 5), it is natural I think for people to read the former story. I'm as guilty as anyone of that when I'm in reader mode.

I'm not saying I'm a great undiscovered author. But if I friended 300 people and asked them to vote on my new story. I reckon 10% would vote without reading it. That would in turn draw many more people to my story. It wouldn't make it a better story, but it would give it momentum and in turn would give me a higher profile.

However when I first joined Lush I did the whole friending many people thing, but I got tired of people who only contacted me when they wanted something. They weren't actually interested in me, getting to know me, or chatting to me. In the end I defriended more and more until I got down to two people who I am lucky and proud to class as proper friends. So although I may add more friends in future, I won't go down the route of collecting dozens and dozens again. It's my loss in terms of my story rankings, but it is my gain in terms of quality time spent with wonderful people.

Ramble over.



Guest
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 8:49:20 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 534,661
I think the humor competition is, by far, the hardest! I have finished my entry and it is waiting to be verified. It has been almost 24 hours. Its not a bad story, I just fear its not very funny...ahhh, I can only dream of that starchy potato goodness...sigh...
LOVES4PLAY
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 8:53:18 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/14/2010
Posts: 944
Location: JUST A CLICK AWAY, United States
I would dislike having to be a judge in this competition. I have had the pleasure of reading some of your entries .& so far not one of them has failed to make me laugh.

Wishing all of you , THE VERY BEST IN THIS COMPETITION.

Looking forward to reading more..
Guest
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 9:01:37 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 534,661
Also, as far as getting reads and votes go, I read stories and friend the author that inspire/impress me. I also watch my comment boards and friend the people who are kind enough to drop a note. I then check out their stuff and offer more comments/opinions on their things. My friends list hasn't jumped up...but in particular, people like cocokisses or AnnieLuvsToFu, have given me constructive criticism that has really helped me. Thats super appreciated. While I don't chat them up on a regular basis, I'm not so worried about that. I love Lush, but I'm not here everyday. I do feel like most of the people on my list would give me some feedback if I asked for it. As far as the competitions go, I don't think they are judged on views and votes. I think they are judged by a panel who reads them. Maybe the views and votes carry some weight, but I don't see the contests as a popularity contest. Read anything thats placed and its usually quite obvious why they placed. Good luck!
WellMadeMale
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 1:33:45 PM

Rank: Constant Gardener

Joined: 9/30/2009
Posts: 10,288
Location: Cakeland, United States


If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Guest
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 2:02:19 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 534,661
Just a note to say if I'm being referred to as an asskisser, I haven't been here long enough to know who's ass to kiss. I'm sure your bravado was appreciated by all though.
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.