Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Advice before submitting a story Options · View
TeenVintageLace
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:51:21 AM

Lisa wrote:

Grace, your story was actually reviewed and returned to you by an Australian moderator. She mentioned that there were some spelling/grammatical errors and that it only required a little editing in order for it to be verified. I just took a look and can see a few errors in the first two paragraphs. I'll take a proper look now and work through it with you.

All moderators are aware of the differences between American and British English, regardless of which country they're from. In future it's always best to reply directly to the moderator who removes your story if you have any queries or disagree with the reasons for removal.

Thanks Lisa, I didn't know I could respond to moderators. I'm so new to this site, I only joined a couple of days ago. But now I know I will reply next time, thank you! :3 In the end though I didn't see any changes to those first two paragraphs after all. :)
Lisa
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 6:08:44 AM

TeenVintageLace wrote:

Thanks Lisa, I didn't know I could respond to moderators. I'm so new to this site, I only joined a couple of days ago. But now I know I will reply next time, thank you! :3 In the end though I didn't see any changes to those first two paragraphs after all. :)

I noticed you'd only joined recently. I hope you enjoy yourself here. :)

The changes to the first two paragraphs were just words such as "it's" instead of "its", "is" instead of "it" and a couple of your words had been joined together. There were more further in but it didn't take long to catch them.
principessa
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:05:03 AM

For the sake of clarity, everyone should know that the first line you see in the message rejecting your story, "Too many grammatical and spelling errors" is pre-programmed into the system. If the moderator does not mention your spelling, it is likely that there were no spelling errors.

I have found that many people think we do not allow for the differences in US/UK spelling and, as Lisa said, that is not the case. Too many people rely on spell check alone, thinking that is a guarantee of no errors. Their story will contain spelling mistakes that are words such as the there, their, they're confusion. Other frequent mistakes are words that are made plural with apostrophes and possessives that lack them. Spell check does not catch errors that are words.

Please check the spelling of words you are unsure of. I had someone insist that per se (from Latin) should be per say because that is how it sounded to her.

Bottom line, the story moderators want to help make your story better and bring your writing to a publishable level. They spend hours of volunteered time reading and editing stories but are not an editing service. Some writers have noticed that the bar has been raised over the past few months and they are correct. There is no reason that erotica published here should be any less literate than anything else published out there.

1LovelyKinkyKitsune
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 1:51:07 PM

This added information and detail by Principessa and all the others was VERY helpful and insightful. Thank you very much.

MercyxLiddell
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:15:47 PM

I tried submitting my first story but instead of being told what was wrong I was just given a stock reply including how to make paragraphs and what not. Nothing really helpful so I have no idea what is wrong with it.
Coco
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:41:55 PM

MercyxLiddell wrote:
I tried submitting my first story but instead of being told what was wrong I was just given a stock reply including how to make paragraphs and what not. Nothing really helpful so I have no idea what is wrong with it.

It seems you've deleted your initial story submission. Because of this I cannot elaborate on what may be a problem. If possible, can you contact the moderator that reviewed your story, or send me a PM so that I can be of assistance?

NOTE to ALL: Please don't delete a story and submit as new. It eliminates the history on the story which makes it difficult for us to be helpful...in other words it wastes our time and yours.

MercyxLiddell
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 9:12:16 AM

I just tried contacting the moderator. From my side when I resubmitted it, no changes were made from me editing it. I had no idea...I do not mean to waste anybody's time. I had no intention of submitting it as a "new" story. I just wanted it resolved.
barefootlove
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 12:45:38 AM

I have noticed and appreciated the improved reading quality recently. It was frustrating in the past when I tried to submit and was rejected but while reading I stumbled over stories that seemed fraught with errors. I'm not seeing those as often any more and having let my story sit for a while I usually see the problem after all.

I've lurked around for quite a while but I tend to come and go so I feel like I'm still pretty new to the site. There is a lot of material to help writers improve but sometimes it seems overwhelming. I have learned that if I worry too much about syntax while roughing out the story then it will come off as wooden and stilted. I'm sure that is true for some others as well. This is why several drafts should be written!

It can be rather challenging to find constructive feedback from those who don't belong on this site. It is a great help to have someone look over my stories and give actual advice instead of "I don't like that part." or "that was really good!" They say the devil is in the details! Thank you to those who make this site possible :)
NudeAutoMall
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:47:09 PM

I have a few adult novels I have been working on over the years, but as in life they are not all roses. Yes my main character is typically the hero in the end, but there is a lot of trials and tribulations along the way, some of which are none to pretty, and certainly don't fit within your rules. Why so strict n absolute?
sprite
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:52:00 PM

NudeAutoMall wrote:
I have a few adult novels I have been working on over the years, but as in life they are not all roses. Yes my main character is typically the hero in the end, but there is a lot of trials and tribulations along the way, some of which are none to pretty, and certainly don't fit within your rules. Why so strict n absolute?

which rules are you having trouble with? there's certainly plenty of room for things not being pretty, but yeah, certain rules we do stand by, such as consent, minimum age, etc. :)

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/hardcore/west-coast-games-part-one-the-beach.aspx
LASARDaddy
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:24:40 PM

sprite wrote:

the biggest issue we have is grammar, spelling, typos, punctuation, etc - when we ask you to proof/edit, it really should be just a matter of fixing all those bumps in the road - and no ones asking for perfection. i still miss a few things myself, and go back and edit them months later and if i find them when modding a story, if there's not a lot of them, i usually just go ahead and fix them for the author. what does make our job difficult is when a story comes in like the one Princepessa spoke about - worse, are the ones that lie somewhere inbetween, where you don't really know if it's going to tip the scales until you get to the end - thoughtful writers we can mod as fast as it takes to read their stories - others will cost us up to 4 times that, keeping us busy on a single story and holding back everyone elses story from being published.

here's a secret, btw, we WANT you to get your story out - we don't like rejecting them, we even go to great lengths, at times, so that we can get it out on the front page. that said, we want to get your story out so that you can be proud of it, that other can enjoy it. there are some, i won't mention names, who were hot messes when they started submitting their stories, we sent them back, explaining why, and they took it to heart and have gotten good and popular and that kind of makes our day. we want you to succeed and keep this site as what it is, the best f'ing erotic story site on the internet fueled by you, the writers. you guys make this place happen - without you it would just be endless forum questions about girls shaving their pubes or guys with average sized penises! :)

I try very hard to do as the first paragraph suggests but i screw it up a lot. I know the second paragraph is absolutely true. Several have done all of that for me and I can not express how much I appreciate it. At least two of them had English as a second, maybe tenth, language and are better with it than I am.

I appreciate every one of the mods and I am NEVER upset by a rejection. My ego is at times but a swift kick in the crotch settles him back into his hole.

I've looked at a lot of erotica sites and think Lush is probably the best. One or two others are good but Lush is still better.

Thank all of you. Every one of you for all of your time, every erg of energy you expend, every thought you send back as suggestions for improvement. I save them all and reread them lest I forget where I screwed it up or succeeded.

I also found Text-Compare.com. It works with my IPad as well as IBM and I can see every space, comma, everything that was changed. That helps me a great deal in seeing what my mistakes were.

Thank You All!

I am always a gentleman.
NudeAutoMall
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:33:07 PM

Basically all of them. Let me give you an example of a real life hero of mine, non adult. The gentleman was a Jew in the time of Hitler. He like many was thrown in a concentration camp. His first morning he got to clean out the incinerators where his wife n daughter were burnt the night before. The man suffered many indignities from one camp till the next. His foot was crushed on a work detail, yet he never stopped working knowing it would be his life. etc etc. But the man never held a grudge. When the war was over and he moved to America, he remained very positive, he enjoyed his life, always making the best of everything, not letting the bad people in his life take his spirit. I know I personally would have been consumed with revenge, where others might be consumed with sorrow. But he was such an inspiration, in his forgiveness, and in the way he lived a happy life, not letting the true nightmare his life was consume him.
HeraTeleia
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:33:47 PM

Sometimes a rejection is the best possible thing that can happen to a story. Sweet_As_Candy returned a story to me, and in all honesty, it was total crap, written and submitted when I was in a bad place emotionally. I thanked her for her time and concern, then deleted the story in its entirety. Twelve hours or so later, I turned out "Under Fire", which is currently running straight 5's with over 2000 views. Rejecting the first story was the best possible thing that could've happened, because if it had been accepted, I would never have written "Under Fire".

My first story, a Recommended Read: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/flash-erotica/my-favourite-word.aspx

Want it all? Masturbation, exhibitionism, seduction, and of course, sex? Read "Tension", a Recommended Read: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/tension-1.aspx
sprite
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 7:40:01 AM

NudeAutoMall wrote:
Basically all of them. Let me give you an example of a real life hero of mine, non adult. The gentleman was a Jew in the time of Hitler. He like many was thrown in a concentration camp. His first morning he got to clean out the incinerators where his wife n daughter were burnt the night before. The man suffered many indignities from one camp till the next. His foot was crushed on a work detail, yet he never stopped working knowing it would be his life. etc etc. But the man never held a grudge. When the war was over and he moved to America, he remained very positive, he enjoyed his life, always making the best of everything, not letting the bad people in his life take his spirit. I know I personally would have been consumed with revenge, where others might be consumed with sorrow. But he was such an inspiration, in his forgiveness, and in the way he lived a happy life, not letting the true nightmare his life was consume him.

you DO know that this is a site for erotic stories, right? we kind of encourage people to write sex stories. while yours sounds like it might make for a great fictional novel, i'm not sure it would fit in here. are you planning on including any erotic scenes in your scenario?

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/hardcore/west-coast-games-part-one-the-beach.aspx
stephanie
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 9:12:23 AM

Re-reading this thread and one thing stands out. It is this. The dedication and talent of the Moderating Crew.

I was a Mod for three years. And I was GOOD. REALLY GOOD. I, let's say retired, a few months ago... Since being free of moderating duties, I've written what I believe is some of my best stuff in years, I've re-engaged with the wider site, I've met A LOT of new people, I have more time to edit my own stuff, I can come here WITHOUT the pressure to have to perform, I can be as silly as I like, since I no longer represent the site in any way, and I DON'T have to deal with writers who can be TERRIBLY rude when all you're doing is trying to HELP them. (And that happens MUCH more often than you'd think...)

Being a Mod HAS its pleasures, (a nicer more talented bunch of guys and dolls I've never met) but it's a FUCK of a lot of work and pressure. I MISSED being a Mod at first, but HONESTLY? Not now. It's LIBERATING not to be a Mod.

So for those that continue to do SUCH a difficult job, you have my respect and my gratitude. Hand on heart, you guys fucking rock. I had NO IDEA how much work it was until I stopped doing it. (And I'd slacked off in my later years!)

Respect.

(And give me an EP you shower of fuckers!)

xx Steph

Nicola: "I wouldn't say you were REALLY GOOD... You were okay at the beginning... Then you proofed the Murder Story and it all went downhill..."

Me: "Yeah, Thanks Nic... Tell the fucking world..."

"I'm a writer... Honesty is not my first language..." (Stephen Flashman)