Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Breast feeding in public. Options · View
purpleshade
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2013 2:25:29 PM

I've travelled to countries where breasting a child is considered totally natural; nobody even pays any attention when the mother exposes her nipple.

In Britain, the attitude is totally different; breast feeding in public is, almost, seen as a crime, a moral outrage even.

How do you feel about this?
Magical_felix
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2013 4:18:13 PM

It doesn't elicit much emotion from me either way really.

But I can see how it is all about the way it is done. Like if the woman has a shawl, I don't see how anyone can have a problem with this. I can see some women getting annoyed if a pretty young mom just whooped her tit out in front of her husband with no intention of covering anything up though. Or if she had a cucumber titty, I wouldn't want to see that either. I mean, I'm no prize myself but I don't go around flopping a nut out either. So in conclusion, if it is done in a discreet non attention grabbing way, society shouldn't treat it as anything more than a little brat being fed.

CleverFox
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2013 5:35:23 PM

Geez Felix, like kids much? Lol

I personally have no problem with breast feeding in public. I have seen it a few times here in the USA and the mother is usually being discreet.

Now it does get wierd like on Two Broke Girls when a woman was breast feeding in a diner and her five year old son popped his head from under the shawl to order some chili cheese fries.

For the most part I feel "Hey, the kid has got to eat."
SITTING
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 2:37:18 AM

If it's discreet, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I once saw a woman changing her baby's nappy (i.e. diaper) in a doorway of a closed shop but you couldn't really 'see' anything so it didn't bother me much.
Mazza
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 2:54:37 AM

purpleshade wrote:
I've travelled to countries where breasting a child is considered totally natural; nobody even pays any attention when the mother exposes her nipple.

In Britain, the attitude is totally different; breast feeding in public is, almost, seen as a crime, a moral outrage even.

That's because it IS totally natural!

I don't have a problem with it.

Sadly we as a society have huge problems with our bodies - why should anyone have issues with a mother feeding her child? It's a natural thing to do, the health and emotional benefits are huge, for both mother and child, and really ought to outweigh what other people think.

When I breastfed my kids, I did it discreetly, more for my personal comfort than what anyone else thought. I refused to hide away in bathrooms and such to do it, which women tend to be encouraged to do.

RickeO
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 10:39:28 PM

I agree, it is a natural thing and there are many benefits, and I have seen it done in public discreetly, which is going to be a choice the woman has to make. I guess that means it doesn't bother me.

Metilda
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 10:44:35 AM

I don't mind if she's not in the way while doing it. I've seen some mothers who are self-absorbed, messy and senseless.

One time (at Walmart, of course - lol) a mother was nursing while standing in the aisle - next to her cart. After she was finished nursing she didn't bother to put herself away - so her breasts were hanging free from clothing as she burped the baby and she was DRIPPING breast milk on the floor.

Not only was she rude by being in the way of other customer's - but she was disgusting for dripping her body fluids all over.

I, personally, refused to do it in public. It can be messy, embarrassing, and time consuming - and it's just not something I ever wanted to do.

Available as an ebook through All Romance, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, iBooks, and others.
Plushbunny
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 1:16:28 AM

I always used to breastfeed my children in public...how come something like this can be considered something to hide away. Most mums are pretty discreet, covering with a shawl or t- shirt. You don't always want to head off to a nursing room like some sort of pariah and I would never consider feeding a baby in a toilet. Mums need to be encouraged to breastfeed....far too many babies are bottle fed instead of this much healthier, natural and cheaper alternative.

" I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer"
Woody Allen
DanielleX
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 1:06:09 PM

I was breast fed apparently. I don't see any harm in it. It's a totally natural function of a woman, I don't see why anyone would object to it. Can't say I've ever noticed it much here - maybe once or twice. You do see it a lot in Europe in cafes, on trains etc.

Where's the evidence that English people don't like it? I find it hard to believe anyone would be morally outraged by a mother breast feeding.

LadySharon
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 4:54:02 PM

Personally, I don't have a problem with it as long as she's covered up in public.

The Roommates Trilogy:
Roommates with Benefits
Roommates with Benefits: Snowed In
Roommates with Benefits: The Working Vacation is now available for your reading pleasure

Latest poem, Longing, is out now!

College Sex:

New story now available!
ManInNewHampshire
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 5:57:07 PM

I do not object. A certain amount of discretion and common sense have been used by the women I have seen breast feeding in public. I have never been embarrassed or feeling awkward when either of my children asked about it if they noticed.
sprite
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 8:24:16 PM

i'm against it - i'd rather see the kid starve to death than to see a glimpse of the horrible awful bewb. what is wrong with people? those things are disgusting!

oh, btw, the entire PURPOSE of the breast is to supply children with milk. no, really guys, they're not there just to ogle, or squeeze, they have a purpose. and guess what, like it or not, a lot of you were raised sucking milk from a teat.

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/hardcore/west-coast-games-part-one-the-beach.aspx
Buz
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 8:28:33 PM

It does not bother me. Its natural. Of course there are times where some discretion is desired. It wouldn't be too cool for someone sitting at the podium of the Presidential Inauguration to suddenly start breast feeding a baby. Of course that might set some TV viewer ratings record though.

frogprince
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 10:43:31 PM

I see it everyday in my house. My youngest daughter nurses my granddaughter in public. It is a very natural thing. If there are visitors in thee house she covers up, but still nurses. I don't look at her in lust. I admire that her body can provide nourishment for her child. I have several woman friends who nurse in public. They are open about letting me see them. They ask for my help when pumping milk from their breasts.
Magical_felix
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 10:02:20 AM

frogprince wrote:
I see it everyday in my house. My youngest daughter nurses my granddaughter in public. It is a very natural thing. If there are visitors in thee house she covers up, but still nurses. I don't look at her in lust. I admire that her body can provide nourishment for her child. I have several woman friends who nurse in public. They are open about letting me see them. They ask for my help when pumping milk from their breasts.

Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 10:12:35 AM

I dont see a problem with it, as long as its covered. I mean we have 0 problems here in america with billboards of tits and asses, so I dont see why something like that would be a problem. It's natural so what the hell is the problem.
Leiza350
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 10:43:18 AM

do itt ..nothing wrong ...ya got to feed ...should be aginst the law not to ....
lindseyaggie
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 11:06:32 AM

A couple of guys have breasted off me at parties. All they got was chocolate syrup and whipped cream. Everyone cheered. No one complained.
BamaFan78
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 11:25:16 AM

In America it can be taboo depending where in public you are, in this generation of over sensitive kids that are being sheltered and spoiled. But yet we have woman wearying see through bras for adds and such. The American Culture has gone a stray in the last decade or so causeing a lot of things to become taboo in our society. While other things are not. We have come a long way from our 50s way of thinking but the culture still has a long way to go.
sweet_as_candy
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 11:37:17 AM

purpleshade wrote:

Really? I disagree with this. Yes, breastfeeding rates are low in Britain, but I think we are moving forward to educate people that it is a natural process. In some areas of deprivation breastfeeding is still, unfortunately, seen as 'taboo' and there are reasons such as culture, peer pressure and all sorts, however there is a lot of work going on to increase 'baby friendly' places and things and to encourage breastfeeding. Amazing to all those women who do it, huge respect and to all those mothers who at least want to or have tried it. Its great that even hospitals encourage the mothers to express milk if their child is in special baby care when first born too. There are lots of support from children centres, midwives and health visitors as well as peer support workers, in Britain to help too.

andybbwlover
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 12:01:37 PM

I am all for women breast feeding in public as it is the most natural thing to do. If I was anywhere where a women is being told Not to breast feed in public I would speak up and tell the person to leave her alone. I know there was some story about a women breast feeding on a bus and was told to stop or get off, my response would be if you don't like it don't look or get off your self.
lafayettemister
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 12:05:47 PM

cockinhandluke wrote:
I dont see a problem with it, as long as its covered. I mean we have 0 problems here in america with billboards of tits and asses, so I dont see why something like that would be a problem. It's natural so what the hell is the problem.

What if she's not covered? Problem then?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
danni69
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 12:29:20 PM

I DO IT ALL THE TIME IT YOU DON'T GET A LIFE I HATE TO SEE SOME PEOPLE WANT MY CHILD TO GO WITHOUT EATING AND NOW SHE GOING TO CRY AND CRY SO I WILL FEED MY CHILD GET OVER IT , IT ALL NATUAL YOUR MOM COULD HAVE FEED YOU I HATE PEOPLE WHO TELL NO DON'T FEED CHILD HERE I WILL NEVER GO BACK HERE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 12:56:57 PM

sweet_as_candy wrote:

Really? I disagree with this. Yes, breastfeeding rates are low in Britain, but I think we are moving forward to educate people that it is a natural process. In some areas of deprivation breastfeeding is still, unfortunately, seen as 'taboo' and there are reasons such as culture, peer pressure and all sorts, however there is a lot of work going on to increase 'baby friendly' places and things and to encourage breastfeeding.

How wrong is it that people need to be 'educated' about a process that is as natural as the process that made the baby, in the first place. What an uptight world.
liknlow
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 1:01:59 PM

PPL need to stop being so sensitive about breast feeding in public. It's natural and for the ones who complain should know they were breast feed in public so grow up.
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 1:09:10 PM

lafayettemister wrote:

What if she's not covered? Problem then?

Well no, still dont see a problem with that, but i feel like most people want to cover up in public. I mean except for places that allow women to be topless in public
sweet_as_candy
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 1:31:19 PM

Kristind wrote:

How wrong is it that people need to be 'educated' about a process that is as natural as the process that made the baby, in the first place. What an uptight world.

I couldn't agree more.

DanielleX
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 1:31:19 PM

Anyone who finds breast feeding offensive, covered or otherwise need to have a proper word with themselves

Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:15:53 PM

If you find breasts in public that are hungry, the least you can do is feed them. It's only human kindness.
LusciousLola
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:55:25 PM

My suggestion,to all those that feel she should cover up, is that they should carry a blanket with them and cover themselves up while eating in public.