Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Dad thinks his daughter charged with sex crime b/c she's a lesbian. Options · View
lafayettemister
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:58:55 AM

18 yr old senior charged with sex crime after having sex with 14 yr old teammate

ORLANDO, Florida (Reuters) - Thousands of people have protested against the prosecution of an 18-year-old Florida high school senior after her parents launched an Internet petition claiming she was charged with sex crimes only because her lover, a then 14-year-old schoolmate, was another girl.

By late Monday afternoon, almost 100,000 people had signed a Change.org petition or joined a Facebook group called "Free Kate" in support of Kaitlyn Hunt.

Indian River County prosecutor Bruce Colton said on Monday that he would not be moved by the public campaign because he said sexual orientation was not an issue. Colton said Kaitlyn was charged like any other adult for having sex with a minor.

"In most instances, it's a male and a female. But certainly I hope people aren't saying the law should be different because it's two females," Colton said.

Kaitlyn was arrested in February on two charges of lewd and lascivious assault on a minor, a second degree felony. Florida law prohibits anyone 18 or older from having sex with someone aged 12 to 16. If convicted, she would face up to 15 years in prison and be required to register as a sex offender.

Colton said he had offered Kaitlyn a plea deal in March in which the charges would be reduced to child abuse, a third degree felony; he would recommend to the judge a sentence of community control and probation; and he would not discourage the judge from wiping her record clean. The offer is good until May 24, after which they will move toward a July 15 trial date, he said.

Kaitlyn's father, Steven Hunt, of Palm Bay, said the deal was not good enough.

"My child is far from a child abuser," Hunt said, noting that the two girls met when Kaitlyn was 17.

Kaitlyn, who Hunt said participated on the cheerleading and basketball teams and sang in the school chorus, was expelled from the high school and is due to graduate in June through an alternative school setting.

The parents of the other teenager could not be reached for comment.

Hunt said he had tried to resolve the issue through mediation but that the alleged victim's family would not participate, leaving him no option but to go public. Hunt said he believed "100 percent" that his daughter's sexual orientation was a factor in their complaint.

In his Change.org petition, Hunt stated that "Kaitlyn's girlfriend's parents are pressing charges because they are against the same-sex relationship, even though their daughter has stated that this is a consensual relationship."

The investigation of Kaitlyn was triggered by a complaint from the 14-year-old girl's parents after they learned of the relationship at a school basketball game, Colton said.
The girl, who has since turned 15, told investigators about having sex with Kaitlyn in a bathroom at Sebastian River High School and at Kaitlyn's home, and cooperated with detectives by calling Kaitlyn on the phone, according to the arrest affidavit. Kaitlyn admitted to the relationship after her arrest, the report said.

Hunt said his daughter never thought about their age difference in part because he said the 14-year-old was physically larger than his daughter and they played on the varsity basketball team together.

==========

The parents of the 14yr old are probably the driving force behind all of this. Do you think they pressed charges because of sexual orientation? And whether or not that's true, once the District Attorney is involved, does it no longer matter what the sexual orientations are?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Magical_felix
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:11:41 AM

I don't know why people that break the rules/laws think they are special and it doesn't apply to them... If the girl wouldn't have broken the law and messed around with a child then she wouldn't be in this predicament. Why does she think she is special? The truth is the other girl is FOURTEEN. She should know better.

sprite
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:25:26 AM

it's a sad case, and my heart goes out to her, but it's no different than if it had been an 18 yo guy having sex with a 14 yo girl
Nikki703
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:51:40 AM

I also feel sorry for her but she did break the law. Should she be labeled as a sex offender? Well in my eyes no. She didnt force the girl to have sex with her. They are both kids. One of my daughters was dating an 18yo when she was 16. But they also started dating when he was 17. So what should they do, stop when he turned 18? Stat rape is a very slippery slope.

But still she did break the law. She should accept the plea, her father is making a mistake by insisting it isn't good enough of a deal
trinket
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 11:46:45 AM

sprite wrote:
it's a sad case, and my heart goes out to her, but it's no different than if it had been an 18 yo guy having sex with a 14 yo girl

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^yep^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

LOVES4PLAY
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 11:47:33 AM

So far all five of us are in agreement , that she did violate the law..Sadly the fathers influence upon his daughter, may keep her record from being expunged at a later date..NIKKI I agree with you 100%

I hope that dad does not mess it up for his daughter.

Colton said" he had offered Kaitlyn a plea deal in March in which the charges would be reduced to child abuse, a third degree felony; he would recommend to the judge a sentence of community control and probation; and he would not discourage the judge from wiping her record clean. The offer is good until May 24, after which they will move toward a July 15 trial date", he said.
CleverFox
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 1:22:15 PM

I think the only chance the father has of really fighting this case is if he can show that the District Attorney regularly did not prosecute simular situations of an 18 year old having sex with a 14 year old where both of the people are of different sexes. Otherwise I think it best to accept the plea deal. After all, she did break the law.
sprite
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 1:37:41 PM

personally, i think that if they don't go for this:

Colton said he had offered Kaitlyn a plea deal in March in which the charges would be reduced to child abuse, a third degree felony; he would recommend to the judge a sentence of community control and probation; and he would not discourage the judge from wiping her record clean. The offer is good until May 24, after which they will move toward a July 15 trial date, he said

they're being incredibly stupid. the consequences of taking it to court could be far worse.
lafayettemister
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 2:04:44 PM

If the girl accused of this crime is 18, why is her dad having any say so? The DA doesn't have to include him in any plea deal. The DA needs to sit down and talk to the girl alone, explain to her the gamble that her father is taking with her life. The judge needs to talk to her without the dad around. Worse case scenario, I'd tell the idiot dad.. if you don't talk your daughter into taking this EXTREMELY generous offer.. one that would not be given to opposite sex accused... that he'll be held with obstruction of justice or something. Dad is gambling his daughter's future on making a political statement. Dumbass.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
janet_haney
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 3:55:12 PM

sprite wrote:

I have to agree with everyone, even though I too think it is sad. I am afraid the father is making a mistake and should plead for mercy but I doubt he gets it now.
Ruthie
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:18:11 PM

sprite wrote:

I agree that it shouldn't be different. What if it had been a fourteen year old boy and an eighteen year old girl? Do you think that the parents would have prosecuted? A lot of parents would just have let that pass. I think that there is a double standard. We've gone over this debate over the double standard elsewhere though.

Did this relationship go on before the older girl was eighteen? It wouldn't have been a violation of that particular law if the older girl had been seventeen. Was it legal one day, and a crime the next? From what I understand, the state's attorney offered two years house arrest, and probation, with the crime staying on record. Any decision to wipe the record clean would be left up to a judge, and wouldn't be part of the plea bargain. Maybe she's holding out for a guarantee of a clean slate. Surely she's got a lawyer. Surely she'll listen to her lawyer.

I think that there is probably more here than we're hearing. For one thing, both the accused and the state seem awfully interested in talking to the press. It seems to me that the parents of the accused would have had more inclination to stay quiet about it. Maybe the father reacted in a moment of anger because the courts had ruled his daughter could stay in school, as long as she stayed away from the other girl, and the other girl's parents had her kicked out anyway.

Whatever, this is going to change both girls lives. Taking it public didn't help either one of them.
sprite
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:24:28 PM

CoopsRuthie wrote:

What if it had been a fourteen year old boy and an eighteen year old girl? Do you think that the parents would have prosecuted? I think that there is a double standard. We've gone over this elsewhere though.

Did this relationship go on before the older girl was eighteen? It wouldn't have been a violation of that particular law if the older girl had been seventeen. Was it legal one day, and a crime the next? From what I understand, the state's attorney offered two years house arrest, and probation, with the crime staying on record. Any decision to wipe the record clean would be left up to a judge, and wouldn't be part of the plea bargain. Maybe she's holding out for a guarantee of a clean slate.

I think that there is probably more here than we're hearing. For one thing, both sides seem awfully interested in talking to the press. It seems to me that the parents of the accused would have had more inclination to stay quiet about it. Maybe the father reacted in a moment of anger because the courts had ruled his daughter could stay in school, as long as she stayed away from the other girl, and the other girl's parents had her kicked out anyway.

Whatever, this is going to change both girls lives. Taking it public didn't help either one of them.

you're probably right - there IS more going on then we are hearing. that said, i'm going on what i read in the OP. thing is, i've fought too hard for equality to be comfortable in people perceiving favoritism in any fashion. equal means equal - the same. i don't want to be treated better, or worse.

as for if it had been a 14 yo boy and a 18 yo girl? they should be treated the same as well - should doesn't mean will be , but they should. period.
Ruthie
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:29:13 PM

sprite wrote:

as for if it had been a 14 yo boy and a 18 yo girl? they should be treated the same as well - should doesn't mean will be , but they should. period.

I agree. People tend to think differently if it's a boy, as we've seen when the subject of teacher/student sex has come up. A lot of people think that the female teachers should get a free ride because boys, I guess?
Kitanica
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 5:55:23 PM

She's being treated just as any boy would be. A guy would already be in jail lol.
Kitanica
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 6:02:13 PM

sprite wrote:
personally, i think that if they don't go for this:

Colton said he had offered Kaitlyn a plea deal in March in which the charges would be reduced to child abuse, a third degree felony; he would recommend to the judge a sentence of community control and probation; and he would not discourage the judge from wiping her record clean. The offer is good until May 24, after which they will move toward a July 15 trial date, he said

they're being incredibly stupid. the consequences of taking it to court could be far worse.

I heard they offered it as a misdemeanor, 2 years probation, 1 year house arrest.

Edit: nevermind you were right, I wasn't paying attention to the tv.

RumpleForeskin
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 6:34:27 PM

Today being the 24th, I hope someone can post a follow-up about what the accused girl (and her father) decided.

As others have pointed out, legally, the accused doesn't have a leg to stand on.

glasses8

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. - ROBERT HEINLEIN

REUNITINGhis need, her want, in a cab -- my contest entry

Becky -- FOR: Matt -- With Love:
a Festive contest winner – honest

HOW HUMANS DO IT: a fish-eye view of sex an Editor's Pick - no kidding
Ruthie
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 10:17:50 PM

RumpleForeskin wrote:
Today being the 24th, I hope someone can post a follow-up about what the accused girl (and her father) decided.

As others have pointed out, legally, the accused doesn't have a leg to stand on.

glasses8

The girl turned down the plea deal and asked for a trial.
Buz
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 10:35:24 PM

If an 18 year old male has sex with a 14 year old girl they usually go to prison for statutory rape and spend the rest of their life as a registered sex offender. Why should an 18 year old female be treated any differently than a male?

The dad thinks she's being prosecuted because she is a lesbian is because he is her father and can't see past that. 18 year olds are constantly being arrested and prosecuted across the USA for having sex with teens under 16 years old. It is currently illegal, that is why.

Of course this all begs the question, is the law too tough on teenagers having sex with other teenagers? Is having to register as a sex offender for this completely wrong?

I have written a new poem. It is called 'Long Twisty Woman.'
You can read it at: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/long-twisty-woman.aspxx
Also, if you wish, check out my co-authored a story with the wonderful DanielleX. It is called 'Focus on Sex.'
You can read it at: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/quickie-sex/focused-on-sex-1.aspx

Jack_42
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2013 1:24:40 AM

Ok so now it's out in the open and the law in the law but the girl's parents who are pressing the charges sound like brain dead. This was consensual and now the whole world knows intimate details about their daughter - what a lovely legacy they've given her. I would feel the same about this if it was a straight relationship and my main sympathy is with the accused.
Juicyme
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2013 8:56:04 AM

I think this is the younger girl's parents doing. The two girls go to school together, played on a sports team together and started dating. This relationship started before the girl turned 18.I think this is just sad any way these it goes. I blame the parents. Maybe if you were more involved in your childrens lives and actually took time to listen to them and what they are going through, you would have known about this relationship a while back and not just when another parent told you.
elitfromnorth
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2013 5:10:20 PM

If I'm not mistaken then the 14yo's parents had forbidden her to see the 18yo. This is usually a bad idea because 1) you're her parent and anything you forbid them to do they'll automatically do and 2) If there really are feelings involved here, why should you fuck your kid's mind up more by making her a closet lesbian that struggles with her attachments and then go through a bunch of failed relationship just so you can seem like a "proper picture perfect" family?

Sure, the 18yo should have kept her pants on, but I doubt that the 14yo feels used by anyone than her parents. The real fuck up in this case is the parents of the 14yo, who don't like their daughter having bi/lesbian tendencies. If anyone is going to fuck up that kid it's them, and not the 18yo that introduced her to sex.

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 7:47:51 AM

elitfromnorth wrote:
If I'm not mistaken then the 14yo's parents had forbidden her to see the 18yo. This is usually a bad idea because 1) you're her parent and anything you forbid them to do they'll automatically do and 2) If there really are feelings involved here, why should you fuck your kid's mind up more by making her a closet lesbian that struggles with her attachments and then go through a bunch of failed relationship just so you can seem like a "proper picture perfect" family?

Sure, the 18yo should have kept her pants on, but I doubt that the 14yo feels used by anyone than her parents. The real fuck up in this case is the parents of the 14yo, who don't like their daughter having bi/lesbian tendencies. If anyone is going to fuck up that kid it's them, and not the 18yo that introduced her to sex.

A week or so ago I heard about this. It seems the parents of the 14 year old knew about the relationship w/the older girl. These parents don't approve of gay sex due I believe to their religious beliefs. In fact they purposely waited for the older girl to turn 18 so that they could ruin the older girls life. Well they got their wish. Now they have to live with it.

Granted the older girl technically broke the law when she continued to have sex w/the 14 year old.
Right or wrong?? I don't know...the mere fact that the parents of the 14 year old knew of the relationship but waited till the older girl was 18 is just spitefull and BS to the ninth degree. It's thin but possible they could be prosecuted for allowing their 14 year old to continue a relationship like this. Personally I put the younger girls folks in the same category as those pukes and maggots of the Westboro church.

In this case the 18 year old should get herself the very best lawyer she can!!! If this case goes as sideways as it appears it might her life is ruined forever. Forget a degree in any profession. Forget the right to self defense with a firearm as she would never be able to purchase a firearm. She would lose her right to vote.

When this is all over if the 18 year old is found guilty she might very well be better off leaving America forever.