Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

More PC stupidity run amok. Options · View
lafayettemister
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 11:05:15 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/4/2010
Posts: 6,342
Location: Alabama, United States
Black teacher fired for using the term "negro"

In the annals of political correctness run amok in American schools, this story — if true — is easily an all-timer.

A junior-high school Spanish teacher has filed a lawsuit alleging that she was fired from P.S. 211 in the Bronx in March 2012 because of a misunderstanding over the word “negro.”

The non-tenured teacher, 65-year-old Petrona Smith, maintains that she was instructing her class about how to say the various basic colors in Spanish, reports the New York Post. The word “negro” naturally came up because “negro” is the Spanish word for “black.”

A seventh-grade student in the class took offense at the term, however, believing the word to be a racial slur. It’s not clear if Smith directed the term at the student. Whatever the case, he reported the incident to school officials.

But, wait. It gets better. Smith, a native of the West Indies, is black. And to top it all off, P.S. 211 is bilingual.

Smith’s attorney, Shaun Reid, called the charge that allegedly led to his client’s termination ridiculous.

“They haven’t even accounted for how absurd it is for someone who’s black to be using a racial slur to a student,” Reid told the Post.

School officials refused to make any comment about the allegations in the lawsuit. As such, the publicly-known facts are tremendously one-sided at this point.

In court papers, Smith does address another incident involving an allegation that she labeled some students as “failures.” The teacher states that she had only asked certain students to move to the rear of the classroom after they had failed a test.

The Post notes that Smith also claims that students hurled insults at her, calling her “fucking monkey” and other abusive names.

Smith hasn’t been able to find another job since she was sacked.





When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Dani
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 11:22:49 AM

Rank: Penguin Wrangler

Joined: 12/25/2010
Posts: 4,018
Location: Under Your Bed, United States
Oh for fuck's sake.



We're tiny. We're toony. We're all a little looney. And in this cartoony, we're invading your TV.

LadySharon
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 11:37:54 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/5/2007
Posts: 2,060
Location: The Tundra, United States
Oh, lord.

The Roommates Trilogy:
Roommates with Benefits
Roommates with Benefits: Snowed In
Roommates with Benefits: The Working Vacation is now available for your reading pleasure

Look for the eBook version of Roommates with Benefits to come soon!
Guest
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 11:48:51 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 470,180
Nutbag Fucking stupid political correctness. cussing je ne comprends pas dontknow
ByronLord
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 12:18:28 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/14/2010
Posts: 716
Location: Massachusetts, United States
lafayettemister wrote:

School officials refused to make any comment about the allegations in the lawsuit. As such, the publicly-known facts are tremendously one-sided at this point.


Take a deep breath folks. Many of these issues that seem ridiculous according to the telling of one side turn out to be missing more than a few relevant facts.

There are two ways that a misrepresentation might be involved here. One is that the teacher is lying to us, the other is that the kids lied to the school board in their complaints.

Poppet
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 12:28:52 PM

Rank: Sweetest Cricket

Joined: 10/5/2012
Posts: 5,140
Location: You Inspire Me, United States
Though Byron has a point, this is still ridiculous.

A Few Of My Favourites

Oral – Audio - Eating Of My Pussy
Erotic Poem - Audio - Sucking Cock
Reluctance – Masturbating Slut Exposed
Exhibitionism - Audio - Afternoon Park Delights
Masturbation - Audio - Recommended Read - Phone Sex
Masturbation - Audio - Recommend Read - Two AM Orgasms
Supernatural – Audio – Recommended Read - My Life As A Genie
keoloke
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 6:21:20 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/12/2010
Posts: 557
Location: United States
I do understand that many words are and can be offensive to many, that's why they were born for but...

1) This is how comedy works. It has to be real and be part of us so to have a laugh. Once we do and find the way to joke around it, the offensive power will diminish.

2) I know a person that no one can make fun of. Actually when we spend an evening together many do (for a laugh) but he would laugh with you and actually accentuate the fun fact. It took me awhile to understand this. Result is that everyone wants to share a social evening with him.

Fear is contagious and it will build a wall. We do not have to stand by the wall and reinforce it. We can crumbly it down with humor.



Practice Happiness, it is a choice

Life is simple; we are what we eat and what we read. Talk is not much needed.
SeaCreature
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 7:54:04 PM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 11/30/2009
Posts: 42
Location: United States
GingerKitty wrote:
Nutbag Fucking stupid political correctness. cussing je ne comprends pas dontknow


English: Would it be an example of black humor to translate this sentence into other languages just to offend those idiots?

Spanish: ¿Sería un ejemplo de humor negro para traducir esta frase a otros idiomas sólo para ofender a esos idiotas?

German: Wäre es ein Beispiel für schwarzen Humor sein, diesen Satz in andere Sprachen übersetzen, nur um diese Idioten beleidigen?

Portuguese: Seria um exemplo de humor negro para traduzir esta frase em outros idiomas apenas para ofender aqueles idiotas?

Russian: Было бы примером черного юмора, чтобы перевести это предложение на других языках просто обидеть этих идиотов?

French: Serait-il un exemple de l'humour noir à traduire cette phrase dans d'autres langues que d'offenser ces idiots?

Finnish: Olisiko esimerkiksi mustaa huumoria kääntää tämän lauseen muille kielille vain loukata näitä idiootteja?


Which of these sentences are racist?
Guest
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 8:42:15 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 470,180
SeaCreature wrote:


English: Would it be an example of black humor to translate this sentence into other languages just to offend those idiots?

Spanish: ¿Sería un ejemplo de humor negro para traducir esta frase a otros idiomas sólo para ofender a esos idiotas?

German: Wäre es ein Beispiel für schwarzen Humor sein, diesen Satz in andere Sprachen übersetzen, nur um diese Idioten beleidigen?

Portuguese: Seria um exemplo de humor negro para traduzir esta frase em outros idiomas apenas para ofender aqueles idiotas?

Russian: Было бы примером черного юмора, чтобы перевести это предложение на других языках просто обидеть этих идиотов?

French: Serait-il un exemple de l'humour noir à traduire cette phrase dans d'autres langues que d'offenser ces idiots?

Finnish: Olisiko esimerkiksi mustaa huumoria kääntää tämän lauseen muille kielille vain loukata näitä idiootteja?


Which of these sentences are racist?


I only speak English and Scottish, so I can't say which are racist, but if you're translating directly from English to another language, where's the racism? I don't really get your point, or if you're trying to make one, but the fact remains that black = negro in a few languages, and did long before negro was a "bad" word.
SeaCreature
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 8:48:22 PM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 11/30/2009
Posts: 42
Location: United States
GingerKitty wrote:


I only speak English and Scottish, so I can't say which are racist, but if you're translating directly from English to another language, where's the racism? I don't really get your point, or if you're trying to make one, but the fact remains that black = negro in a few languages, and did long before negro was a "bad" word.


The joke is that 'negro' is in two of those sentences, so the overly PC people would cry racist. But I'm translating other languages, so they'd have to figure out how to justify it first, which might make their heads explode. Also, my use of the term 'black humor'. Not racist in the least, unless you're looking for racism under ever tittle.
Guest
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 9:32:08 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 470,180
SeaCreature wrote:


The joke is that 'negro' is in two of those sentences, so the overly PC people would cry racist. But I'm translating other languages, so they'd have to figure out how to justify it first, which might make their heads explode. Also, my use of the term 'black humor'. Not racist in the least, unless you're looking for racism under ever tittle.


Ah right, excuse my idiocy. I'm tired, you see, but after having made my first post and reread it, I'd realised your intention d'oh!
beowulf69
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 9:44:43 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/24/2011
Posts: 200
Location: Cocoa Beach, United States
Political correctness is just another form of censorship and intolerance.

My first story for Lush is posted, The Goodbye Fuck.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/the-goodbye-fuck.aspx
SeaCreature
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 10:07:51 PM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 11/30/2009
Posts: 42
Location: United States
GingerKitty wrote:


Ah right, excuse my idiocy. I'm tired, you see, but after having made my first post and reread it, I'd realised your intention d'oh!


Quite alright. I sometimes have to have things explained to me because I'm too naive.

''Sure you can look under my coat, I guess. Why? But why would somebody put video games there? That's what the baskets are for. Oh, theft. I get it now.''
ramrod32784
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 9:53:44 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 7/29/2012
Posts: 558
Location: Fl, United States
Political Correctness is destroying this Country,The Declaration of Independence offended and was not meant to be a Hallmark card.There is right and there is wrong and now there is stupid
Emerys
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 7:41:38 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 5/27/2013
Posts: 342
Location: United States


Guest
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 7:09:53 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 470,180
ramrod32784 wrote:
Political Correctness is destroying this Country,The Declaration of Independence offended and was not meant to be a Hallmark card.There is right and there is wrong and now there is stupid


Yup yup.
Highwayman
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 8:07:43 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/10/2012
Posts: 1,498


‎"The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible." --Wilde
EDWolfe
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2013 11:45:55 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 2/5/2013
Posts: 1,033
Location: United States
Hearing about this story makes me think about this Family Guy clip.



Since the instructor said that word in the context of a Spanish class (as opposed to, say, a History class), I think the whole thing is really trumped up. It's just some teenager (or his/her parents) who wants attention.
redhot363236
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2013 1:59:24 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 2/16/2011
Posts: 604
Location: United States
>> head desk <<
>> head desk <<
Reminds me of the OJ Simpson trial ....
Where did they find 12 people, in Los Angeles no less, who had never hear "The N word" before??
And in this case, it absolutely was relevant to the testimony
Shaman
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:16:02 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/5/2013
Posts: 322
Location: In a Galaxy far far away, United States
stand up for values not platitudes debate differences not swallow them
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.