Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Prostate Cancer chances high - I guess I should get mine removed now? Options · View
lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2013 10:28:55 AM

Just to be clear about my own personal comments. They have absolutely nothing to do with who Angelina Jolie is married to, fucking, has fucked in the past, any past or previous marriages of her's or Brad/Jen Aniston. Until Aniston was mentioned, her name and her marriage to Brad Pitt never even crossed my mind. It's irrelevant to the topic.

I don't hate Angelina Jolie, I'm actually kind of indifferent to her. From what I have seen and read of her, she seems like a genuine and caring person. But again, it has nothing to do with my personal opinion on the matter.

My opinion is suspect on the matter is suspect since I'll never have to face the decision she has, but I still think it was premature to take such drastic measure. My honest opinion, for whatever that's worth. It's possible to question a person's decisions without questioning their character or hating them.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
principessa
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2013 11:30:39 AM

I am not one of Angelina Jolie's fans, but I do admire her for making her decision public. Part of it may have been motivated to stop tabloid speculation, but it was brave of her to do. It will give courage to other women in this situation and help them to understand that they are no less women after these procedures.

Every person makes the decisions that are best for them, based on the information that they have. I don't think we should second guess such a personal decision, even if our choice would have been different. No one knows all of the information that Jolie has been given or what else impacted on how she decided and frankly, that is none of our business. We should all just wish her well in her recovery.

Alphamagus
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2013 1:15:44 PM

I think an 87% chance of contracting cancer makes this decision a no-brainer.

The really brave decision that she has made however is to publicise it.

I think personally that her reasons are humanitarian rather than being a media whore. She is clearly bringing this into the public consciousness and making women who are are perhaps in the same situation but not having the surgery due to vanity reasons, (And I am in no way judging anybody for that) Think to themselves "Well if one of the worlds most beautiful women can do this without feeling any less of a woman...Why can't I?"

For that reason, I think that she should be applauded.
Nikki703
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2013 1:39:57 PM

First off, let me say that I have never been a big fan of Angelina Jolie. Dont get me wrong, I am not one of the Angelina haters either. I respect her talent and also some of her humanitarian efforts. But I aways thought of her as sort of a "grandstander" who is more concerned with publicity, ala Madonna.

But as far as her having a double mastectomy since she had an 87% chance of having breast cancer, I think that was a very brave thing to do. Someone said the real brave thing was going public with it. I think maybe it is something that should have been kept private. I know that many will say that women will see that if a woman as beautiful and sexy as Angelina can do it and still feel feminine, than I can too. But I still have to wonder about her motive for going public.

I know a woman who had this done about 6 months ago. She is 46 yo and a her mom, aunt and 2 of her sisters had breast cancer. I do not know if she had the BRCA gene or not. When I heard of her plan, I did not understand why she would put herself through that if she did not already have breast cancer. But over time, I came to understand her reasoning. It took several procedures and then therapy for her to come to terms with what she did. And the support of her husband was key! She felt defeminzed after having her natural breasts removed. But she is doing really well now and looks as beautiful as ever! And is happy with her decision

My mom died from breast cancer at a very young age. There is no other history of breast cancer in my family but if I knew I was highly at risk, I think I might opt for the proactive surgery. But it would be so hard to make that decision
Ruthie
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2013 1:46:57 PM

[quote=Nikki703 Someone said the real brave thing was going public with it. I think maybe it is something that should have been kept private. I know that many will say that women will see that if a woman as beautiful and sexy as Angelina can do it and still feel feminine, than I can too. But I still have to wonder about her motive for going public.

[/quote]

There's really no way she could have kept it private. Probably, if she'd tried to keep it private, the tabloid press and the entertainment news channels would have broken the news to even bigger fanfare.

What concerns me is her decision to have it done. I understand it, but it seems to me that someone with all her money could have had all the breast exams she needed. Most women don't have that option. The recommendation for women with the gene is a mammogram once a year and twice yearly breast exams. She could have had as many of either as she wanted.

I have no idea what I'd have done. Probably the same thing she did, but I don't have her options. If I did, it would make a difference in my thinking.
Nikki703
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2013 2:04:49 PM

CoopsRuthie wrote:
[quote=Nikki703 Someone said the real brave thing was going public with it. I think maybe it is something that should have been kept private. I know that many will say that women will see that if a woman as beautiful and sexy as Angelina can do it and still feel feminine, than I can too. But I still have to wonder about her motive for going public.

There's really no way she could have kept it private. Probably, if she'd tried to keep it private, the tabloid press and the entertainment news channels would have broken the news to even bigger fanfare.

What concerns me is her decision to have it done. I understand it, but it seems to me that someone with all her money could have had all the breast exams she needed. Most women don't have that option. The recommendation for women with the gene is a mammogram once a year and twice yearly breast exams. She could have had as many of either as she wanted.

I have no idea what I'd have done. Probably the same thing she did, but I don't have her options. If I did, it would make a difference in my thinking. [/quote]

I understand that high profile celebs like Angelina can have a hard time keeping things private, but if she truly wanted to it would have been done. You mentioned that tabloids and entertainment news would be all over it, I believe 95% of the news they "uncover" is intentionaly dished out by celebs publicists with the celebs knowledge. Just like you said, she has resources most people dont have.

However, you did make a valid point about her being able to get tested as much as she liked and to have the very best doctors at her call. It would definitely make a difference in what I would decide to do also.
Kitanica
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2013 3:37:08 AM

Another reason gattaca was a great movie.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2013 11:39:42 PM

sprite wrote:

part of the issue here, is the personality. for some reason, people HATE Ms Jolie. they still blame her for 'breaking up America's perfect marriage of Brad and Jen'.

Actually, I was quite happy that Mr. Pitt fucked around on his lovely wife with that vile vial-of-blood-wearing homewrecker - as it opened up a pathway for me...til that gawddamned Vince Vaughn playboy-asshat elbowed his way in between me and my next girlfriend.

I'm still pissed at that wise cracking bastard!

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
She
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 4:11:04 AM

WellMadeMale wrote:
My grandfather had it, one of his son's had it - of course both were diagnosed with it when they were over the age of 75...so perhaps I should circumvent being diagnosed with it and just go ahead and get mine removed & beat cancer to the punch?

We live in era when cancer is pretty much cured but new diseases came along.. Farmacy companies are making rediculous amount of money with implying fear into our minds. I am no hippie, I don't live on a tree nor do I drink super expensive morning smoothies, however I am trying to be careful with what I treat my body with, mainly trying to avoiding GMO products.

That being said, my question to you is, are you really being concerned, do you really have feeling that you should get preventive surgery?

Why don't you try and live healthier, try to limit or even decrease acid in your body and see how that will feel.
Personally, and I am not saying that will do the trick for everyone, I literally fixed my blood with marihuana oil. In EU can be bougth in every supermarket.

Leiza350
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 6:28:17 AM

yes...get it cut out ...und be a unit ...und ill get a hysterectomy, und my tits chopped off..und we kan just have a great rime trying to have sex ,.....crybaby crybaby
VanGogh
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 7:42:41 AM

Alphamagus wrote:
I think an 87% chance of contracting cancer makes this decision a no-brainer.

The really brave decision that she has made however is to publicise it.

I think personally that her reasons are humanitarian rather than being a media whore. She is clearly bringing this into the public consciousness and making women who are are perhaps in the same situation but not having the surgery due to vanity reasons, (And I am in no way judging anybody for that) Think to themselves "Well if one of the worlds most beautiful women can do this without feeling any less of a woman...Why can't I?"

For that reason, I think that she should be applauded.

Very well stated.

With regards to Prostate Cancer ... I honestly don't know enough about - though am googling it ... and found this ...

Quote:
Several studies suggest that masturbation reduces the risk of prostate cancer.

cited: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostate_cancer

Helpful hints ... :)

Quote:
Globally it is the sixth leading cause of cancer-related death in men (in the United States it is the second).

cited: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostate_cancer

So, I am suspecting, this could be a "pull" for new male memberships on Lush ... jerkit

A Milf series combined with Office Sex *fans face* .... The Secretary and The Student
starting with The Secretary and The Student - first part

Enjoy!!

For the Anal Lovers .... come enjoy my RR honoured An Alluring Ass

Another Sex in the Office Poem (I know you love those!!) In Your Office

Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 8:56:46 AM

Mazza wrote:

Natural News Article About Angelina Jolie

It's certainly worth considering ALL of the options available to you before making any life-changing decision...

(that applies whatever your issue, whether you're male or female)

I took a look at that link Mazz, and you're right about people considering ALL options available. I don't know who Mike Adams, the Health Ranger is, but part of his article said this:

Quote:
So when a doctor says you have a "chance" of getting cancer, what he's implying is that you have no control over cancer, and that's an outright lie. Cancer quackery, in other words.

Even Jolie with her BRCA1 gene that's linked to breast cancer can quite easily follow a dietary and lifestyle plan that suppresses BRCA1 gene expression. It's not rocket science. It's not even difficult. It can be done with simple foods that cost a few dollars a day. Those foods include raw citrus, resveratrol (red grapes or red wine), raw cruciferous vegetables, omega-3 oils and much more. Those same foods also help prevent heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimer's and other chronic diseases.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/040349_Angelina_Jolie_breast_cancer_surgery.html#ixzz2TeekaV3E

and this.

So the whole "chance" argument is pure quackery. There is no chance involved in whether you get cancer. It's all cause and effect. You are either living a pro-cancer lifestyle and therefore growing cancer, or you're living an anti-cancer lifestyle and keeping cancer in check so that it never becomes a problem. Cause and effect is what results in either the growth of cancer tumors or the prevention of cancer tumors. There is no "luck" involved.

It's fascinating, isn't it, that medical doctors don't believe in luck or voodoo on any topic other than cancer. But when it comes to cancer, they want all women to be suckered into the victim mentality that cancer is purely a matter of "luck" and therefore women have no control over their own health outcomes. How dis-empowering! How sick! How incredibly exploitive of women!

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/040349_Angelina_Jolie_breast_cancer_surgery.html#ixzz2Teg1Y6jg

It's statements like these that make my blood absolutely BOIL. a dietary and lifestyle plan that suppresses BRCA1 gene expression. That we CAN control cancer. We can control our own health outcomes. Well Holy HELL, has anybody told the women who are dying of cancer after this gene has 'expressed' that there was a way to suppress it? What a load of utter crap. If it's that simple, how come women are still dying?

I'm sure we all know someone who never smoked, always ate well, didn't drink to excess and still died from cancer? I know several of them. What would Mr Adams say caused those cancers? Sure we can all do all these things as part of how we live our lives, but it's NOT going to mean you will NEVER get cancer, that's what he's suggesting, and that's dangerous.

I'm not suggesting women in similar situations to Jolie run out and get both breasts removed. I pointed the article out because bullshit like that can cost someone their life.

I think Ms Jolie should be applauded for going public, it's publicity that could save some people their lives. It's all well and good to say, here eat and drink healthily, and get a test every 6 months and you won't get breast cancer, or you won't die from it. There are different types of breast cancers. I know a woman who had a yearly mammogram, nothing showed up, 6 months later she had a sore breast. It was a tumour the width of a single strand of hair, very aggressive and she died 6 months after that.

Like I said earlier, it's just my humble opinion but I think it's a case by case scenario.
Mazza
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 9:17:35 AM

Sadly a lot of it comes down to money... The cancer industry is big business and while that continues to be the case, this sort of stuff will continue...
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 11:38:09 AM

About Cancer: I think it's a good idea to have a mastectomy when you have a family history of breast cancer. 87% is very hi. I did the same thing, but I did have breast cancer andI didn't want to worry if it would travel to the other. I'm very glad I did.

foxjack
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 3:35:04 PM

I thought most men die from natural causes (or other causes) before prostate cancer gets them?
Tranquil
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 1:47:22 AM

She is a wonderful person to open her world up and share such a personal choice. her husband is supporting her like a gentleman should. She wants to be around to see her childrens children. good for her. if by bringing it to the limelight helps just another in similar circumstances then god bless her.

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/my-mother-warned-me-1.aspx

[i]Poem : The Cyber Touch http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/the-cyber-touch.aspx
Poem : The Last Moments http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/the-last-moments.aspx
Story : One day only http://www.lushstories.com/stories/oral-sex/one-day-only.aspx
Poem: My Toy http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/my-toy.aspx#comments/i]

CharlotteRusse1
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:37:24 PM

She made the right decision for her own peace of mind. Her risks were very high with that genetic profile. Breasts are not essential organs once you are done nursing kids. The impact can't be compared to prostate removal. She is wealthy enough to get them reconstructed. Her husband and kids would surely rather have her around without the original breasts than in the ground with them.

Why second guess her decision? I am not a big fan (I did like Mr. and Mrs. Smith) but I think letting the public know is helpful for other women facing these risks.

Writer of amateur erotica since 2011..See the latest at:

Dancing_Doll
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2013 8:45:19 PM

Interesting.

News Article wrote:

Less than two weeks after Angelina Jolie revealed she'd had a double mastectomy to avoid breast cancer, her aunt died from the disease Sunday.

Debbie Martin died at age 61 at a hospital in Escondido, Calif. near San Diego, her husband, Ron Martin, told The Associated Press.

Debbie Martin was the younger sister of Jolie's mother, Marcheline Bertrand, whose own death from ovarian cancer in 2007 inspired the surgery that Jolie described in a May 14 op-ed in the New York Times.

According to her husband, Debbie Martin had the same defective BRCA1 gene that Jolie does, but didn't know it until after her 2004 cancer diagnosis.

"Had we known, we certainly would have done exactly what Angelina did," Ron Martin said in a phone interview.

Ron Martin said after getting breast cancer, Debbie Martin had her ovaries removed preventively because she was also at very high genetic risk for ovarian cancer, which has killed several women in her family.

lafayettemister
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:47:12 AM

Breast cancer survivor says Jolie's decision not "brave" but "fearful".

Angelina Jolie's decision to get a double mastectomy after learning she had the breast cancer gene mutation has been lauded by many as courageous, empowering, and even heroic. But singer-songwriter Melissa Etheridge -- a breast cancer survivor herself -- thinks it's actually the opposite of those things.

Asked about Jolie's recent New York Times op-ed, in which she revealed the news of her mastectomy and breast reconstruction, Etheridge told the Washington Blade that she wouldn't make the same decision for herself. Nor would she encourage others to do so without properly researching their options.

"I have to say I feel a little differently," the Grammy-winning chanteuse (who, incidentally, performed at Brad Pitt's wedding to Jennifer Aniston) said of the choice to get a preventive mastectomy. "I have that gene mutation too, and it's not something I would believe in for myself. I wouldn't call it the brave choice. I actually think it's the most fearful choice you can make when confronting anything with cancer."

"My belief is that cancer comes from inside you, and so much of it has to do with the environment of your body. It's the stress that will turn that gene on or not. Plenty of people have the gene mutation and everything, but it never comes to cancer," she continued, noting that surgical removal of one's breasts is "way down the line on the spectrum of what you can do" to lessen your risk of the disease.

"I've been cancer free for nine years now, and looking back, I completely understand why I got cancer," she added. "There was so much acidity in everything. I really encourage people to go a lot longer and further before coming to that conclusion [of a mastectomy]."

To be fair, Jolie said in her May 14 editorial that the decision to have a mastectomy was a personal one. Her main point was that women should be informed about the various options available to them.

"I want to encourage every woman, especially if you have a family history of breast or ovarian cancer, to seek out the information and medical experts who can help you through this aspect of your life, and to make your own informed choices," she wrote.

"Life comes with many challenges," she explained. "The ones that should not scare us are the ones we can take on and take control of."
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Melissa Etheridge: Angelina Jolie's Mastectomy Is "Fearful," Not "Brave"

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
LadyX
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:24:34 AM

lafayettemister wrote:
Breast cancer survivor says Jolie's decision not "brave" but "fearful".

Angelina Jolie's decision to get a double mastectomy after learning she had the breast cancer gene mutation has been lauded by many as courageous, empowering, and even heroic. But singer-songwriter Melissa Etheridge -- a breast cancer survivor herself -- thinks it's actually the opposite of those things.

Asked about Jolie's recent New York Times op-ed, in which she revealed the news of her mastectomy and breast reconstruction, Etheridge told the Washington Blade that she wouldn't make the same decision for herself. Nor would she encourage others to do so without properly researching their options.

"I have to say I feel a little differently," the Grammy-winning chanteuse (who, incidentally, performed at Brad Pitt's wedding to Jennifer Aniston) said of the choice to get a preventive mastectomy. "I have that gene mutation too, and it's not something I would believe in for myself. I wouldn't call it the brave choice. I actually think it's the most fearful choice you can make when confronting anything with cancer."

"My belief is that cancer comes from inside you, and so much of it has to do with the environment of your body. It's the stress that will turn that gene on or not. Plenty of people have the gene mutation and everything, but it never comes to cancer," she continued, noting that surgical removal of one's breasts is "way down the line on the spectrum of what you can do" to lessen your risk of the disease.

"I've been cancer free for nine years now, and looking back, I completely understand why I got cancer," she added. "There was so much acidity in everything. I really encourage people to go a lot longer and further before coming to that conclusion [of a mastectomy]."

To be fair, Jolie said in her May 14 editorial that the decision to have a mastectomy was a personal one. Her main point was that women should be informed about the various options available to them.

"I want to encourage every woman, especially if you have a family history of breast or ovarian cancer, to seek out the information and medical experts who can help you through this aspect of your life, and to make your own informed choices," she wrote.

"Life comes with many challenges," she explained. "The ones that should not scare us are the ones we can take on and take control of."
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Melissa Etheridge: Angelina Jolie's Mastectomy Is "Fearful," Not "Brave"

What a horseshit take. Granted, she's entitled to her opinion on it, whatever it may be, but playing the percentages and giving yourself the best shot* to avoid the deadly mack truck that statistically is heading your way isn't what I'd call "fearful". I'm also not sure what oncologists would say to her "cancer comes from inside you/too much acidity" origination theory.

*assuming you have the gazillion dollars currently necessary to pay for the testing and elective surgery, as Jolie does.
She
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 2:39:31 PM

LadyX wrote:

What a horseshit take. Granted, she's entitled to her opinion on it, whatever it may be, but playing the percentages and giving yourself the best shot* to avoid the deadly mack truck that statistically is heading your way isn't what I'd call "fearful". I'm also not sure what oncologists would say to her "cancer comes from inside you/too much acidity" origination theory.

*assuming you have the gazillion dollars currently necessary to pay for the testing and elective surgery, as Jolie does.

There were more than few researches on this acid issue and it goes in favour that acid body can be one of the causes for cancer and other deseases..., not to mention that doctors and hospitals they work in, do get 'provision' or benefits if you want, from pharmacy companies..
I found few links, but there is plenty online if people are interested to look outside, than what power is serving us to buy that particular year.

http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/49/16/4373.full.pdf
http://www.canceractive.com/cancer-active-page-link.aspx?n=1025
http://www.cancerfightingstrategies.com/ph-and-cancer.html

http://www.ted.com/talks/david_agus_a_new_strategy_in_the_war_on_cancer.html
http://www.ted.com/talks/dean_ornish_on_healing.html
http://www.ted.com/playlists/63/a_cure_for_cancer.html

or we can put yellow bracelet on..Lwinking

http://www.livestrong.com/article/494740-cancer-and-the-acid-balance-in-the-body/

Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 5:28:51 AM

One thing I like about this thread is that it has the women talking about a subject that they really need to help each other be informed about.

Us men know that by some age, we ALL will develop prostate cancer. So by age 70, they stop giving the tests because if you get it after 70, you likely will not die from it. I wish that were true of all cancers. Sadly, it is not.

I hope to add to this comment when I have more time.
narresh
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 10:18:07 PM

ok,i read all replies and thought i have to give mine.i am a surgeon and a fan of angelina jolie too i want to give my frank opinion.

when we speak about probabilities here,i haven't seen many cases that follows text book writings.there are always exceptions,anomalies and miracles at a very high rate that we are not sure which one is a typical case.

regarding the percent of risk,we say.there is no scale to measure it.we go by our thinking and don't get me wrong i just want to be frank here for a sec.

genes..this is a very fascinating topic which changes every other day,still we don't know for sure and hormones is equally fascinating but we have a little grip there.let us come to angelina now.

In my opinion,she should have checked with her doc every 6 months before noticing anything abnormal as there are conservative approaches too.this is bit too pushed over to go under knife and have a radical surgery based on numbers and probabilities.moreover ovaries release hormones which define a woman and essential for her quality of life.having her ovaries removed,she has to be placed on hrt which is not recommended these days for the cons we came to know now.so all in all..i won't appreciate this but respect her decision and pray to god to bless her.
sweetaz
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 3:35:00 PM

My opinion on her decision is one of admiration. She did what was best for her and her outlook for her future.

If there is known family history its at your own peril for not taking the necessary test to ensure a long healthy life and totally selfish if you have a family. Do all that you can to ensure a happy healthy life, share, love and be loved.

My partner, his side of the family have history in bowel cancer 2 deaths and only recently his brother diagnosed with it T2. Thank goodness detection and treatment and now he is on the road to recovery. What of my partner, you bet he got taken along to the surgeon he had the whole shebang and came out squeaky clean .... WHEW .... The peace of mind you get ... nothing beats it ... sending Big Hugs
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2013 8:57:28 PM

foxjack wrote:
I thought most men die from natural causes (or other causes) before prostate cancer gets them?

Well you thought wrong! Prostate cancer is a leading cause of death in men over 40! Get Checked!!! I know I am a prostate cancer survivor!
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2013 9:04:49 PM

As long as your getting your checkups and there negative then don't worry about it! Keep getting them and if they find anything chances are very good they will treat it and you will be fine! I know this as I am a prostate cancer survivor! Its been 8 years now and I am fine! I get my psa's checked every 6 months and there excellent! Just keep getting them check ups!