Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Westboro Baptist Church and Jason Collins Options · View
Marshall_Lewis
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 7:02:06 PM

I was watching ESPN the other day, when the reports of NBA veteran Jason Collins, made a announcement of being gay. I thought good for him, and that nobody should be forced to keep their sexuality a secret for their occupation. Now they finally get a "gateway" person to have other ball players come out. With all this coming forward, WBC(For those who don't know check out this obscene and utterly disgusting website http://www.godhatesfags.com.) first started protesting military funerals of our brothers and sisters who unselfishly go into hell every day to keep our heads sleeping safely on our pillows at night and now they have plans to protest at a NBA playoff game. For the fact that the first man, who is still an active player, having the balls to come out.

I believe in faith, I believe in the Christianity religion, I tend not to read the bible of the Christian faith, simply because through the thousands of years the bible has been in circulation, it has been altered, to whatever powerful religious figure was in charged wanted it to be. Its like a story that starts on one side of the room and reaches the other side, when it started it was one thing, but at the other end of the table, it a completely different story.

To sit an protest someone being openly gay, saying "Thank God for dead soldiers" all because they read in a bible that a man shouldn't lay with another man. Its obscene, repulsive, and utterly disgusting.

Question #1
What are your feelings about the WBC?

Question #2
How do we legally stop them from doing this, since the United States constitution guarantees us our right to have free speech?

Magical_felix
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 7:18:24 PM

Those people are about as serious as a clown smoking a bong.

It is best to pay them no mind. They thrive on attention. I doubt they believe their own bullshit. It's just a family of inbred folk.

Marshall_Lewis
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 7:24:39 PM

Quote:
It's just a family of inbred folk.

That is the funniest thing I have read today. haha
Dani
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 7:31:40 PM

Baby put your arms around me, tell me I'm a problem...

CleverFox
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 8:45:04 PM

slipperywhenwet2012 wrote:

Oh please SWW, Jesus was only talking to that particular fig tree not all fig trees in general. May you rote in Hell!

Only joking, you know I love you SWW but this just shows how all this bullshit starts when the only message I got from Jesus Christ was "Try being nice to each other."
kylie_kained
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 8:53:24 PM

Coughs loudly so to be heard! Question Is Jason Collins Jackie's Latest Husband?

Buz
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 8:58:08 PM

Westboro Baptist Church may claim to be Christians but like so many that are predicted in Revelations, they are in for a rude awaking! They are NOT true Christians at all, not even close. They are filled with vile hate.

HotBttmInBriefs
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 9:14:07 PM

Buz wrote:
Westboro Baptist Church may claim to be Christians but like so many that are predicted in Revelations, they are in for a rude awaking! They are NOT true Christians at all, not even close. They are filled with vile hate.

Buz, I read that even the Baptist Church doesn't recognize them anymore. They are only Baptist in name only.

kylie_kained
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 9:16:03 PM

To me in the link you showed it seems that they just don't like much of anything I have no doubt that they are vile. The trouble is that most Country's have freedom of speech these days but people like this would soon be moved on under equal right laws.

Marshall_Lewis
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 9:16:22 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

Is there a way to like file an injunction against them for hate crimes, with the words the are saying. That way the entire "church" is shutdown?
kylie_kained
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 9:22:15 PM

Being as your in the States I wouldn't be at all surprised that there isn't. Read it

Dani
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 9:22:22 PM

Master_Yoda wrote:
Thanks for the feedback!

Is there a way to like file an injunction against them for hate crimes, with the words the are saying. That way the entire "church" is shutdown?

You can't do that without dumping all over their freedoms. If that were the case, the KKK's would have been done away with ages ago. Unfortunately, this bunch isn't dumb, just ignorant. They know their rights, down to the letter. They have to in order to be able to pull off shit like this without repercussions. They're not violating any type of law...except moral ones. But this is a "church" populated by nothing but family members. They're only around to be a nuisance and spread false doctrine. If they didn't pull shit like this, they'd fade into obscurity, which would ruin their existence. They're miserable, and fucked, and they want to spread this misery as far as they can. Really the only way to combat them is to ignore them and totally ignore their picket signs and bigotry, which I'm certain is much easier said than done. But they accomplish their true mission each time they do this, which is media attention. And they're gonna continue to do so. It's disgusting, but what are you gonna do?dontknow

Buz
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 9:28:03 PM

HotBttmInBriefs wrote:

Buz, I read that even the Baptist Church doesn't recognize them anymore. They are only Baptist in name only.

I was raised as a Baptist and Westboro Baptist is nothing at all like any church I ever attended. True Christianity is about love, forgiveness, and compassion. Jesus Christ's sacrifice replaced the law with grace. Westboro Baptist is like an extremist cult built on legalism and hate, which is a major sin in itself. Westboro Baptist is not a member of any other church organization. They are a stand alone group, mostly of one extended family of relatives. Magical Felix hit the nail on the head when he called them inbred.

There is a large Southern Baptist Church near where I live that has gay & lesbian deacons and deaconesses. The Southern Baptist Convention is like a confederacy. The central organization does not have much power or any at all over member churches. There is actually a wide range of church styles and beliefs within it. Its major goal is to be united in mission work throughout the world and with the poor. Each church works independently and owns its own property and building and hires its own ministers. You can get entirely different experiences from one church to the next. There are also other organized denomination groups that use the name Baptist. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was a Baptist minister. He embodied true Christian character. The Baptist title mainly comes out of the baptism style, where you get totally immersed under the water.

Marshall_Lewis
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 9:28:08 PM

Quote:
It's disgusting, but what are you gonna do?

Have a point. I forgot the leader of that pack of animals is a lawyer.
Buz
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 9:29:48 PM

Several of those jackals are lawyers.

Dani
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 9:34:02 PM

Buz wrote:
Several of those jackals are lawyers.

Lawyers, yes. But most of them aren't recognized as such. However, they do know their way around the courts and the legal system.Taking away the titles doesn't take away the knowledge.

Marshall_Lewis
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 9:38:56 PM

Quote:
If that were the case, the KKK's would have been done away with ages ago

I watched a video on YouTube, to where the KKK was sitting next to the community that wants the WBC gone. Its shocking to see a group that was all for racial bigotry and segregation and against their rights, standing next to the rights activists of the gay community.

I am proud of the patriot guard standing watch over soldiers funerals. Drowning out their hideous songs with Motorcycle engines.
roymunson101
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2013 7:45:28 PM

1) My feelings on them. They are ignorant.
2) Only way to get rid of them. Ignore them.
elitfromnorth
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2013 8:02:01 PM

Don't feed the trolls! That's exactly what they are. If you ignore them and don't give them the media attention or any other attention they desire, then there's nothing in it for them to continue. But sadly, shit like this sells. Hence why the media covers every little thing they do down to how their bowel movements are. It sells.

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
MrNudiePants
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2013 9:29:00 PM

Lawyers, yes. But most of them aren't recognized as such. However, they do know their way around the courts and the legal system.Taking away the titles doesn't take away the knowledge.

My understanding is that one of their main sources of funding is through suing people that have "infringed" on their right to free speech. I suppose, if you know the law well enough, you can make a healthy living doing that.

Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2013 12:23:52 AM

Oh...we should never just ignore them. We need to keep an eye on them so we know when to set-up the silent human barricades to shield the grieving from the hate. But that is the only recognition we should give them...the silent human barricade. During the Aryan Nations uprising in North Idaho people came out to boo and yell at them while the Aryans paraded in downtown Coeur d'Alene. The media and the locals encouraged everyone to stay away from town until around 11:30 as all the businesses would not open until like noon or after the parade. for the most part the locals stayed away but antagonists from out of town flew in to protest and that's what got the headlines. We should continue to silently ignore them...giving them nothing. No headlines. No attention at all.

Until we have to show up and silently shield the grieving once again.

If we stay silent they won't have anything to sue over.
Ruthie
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2013 1:15:49 AM

Fred Sr. is a disbarred lawyer. Three of the family, Fred Jr., Margie and Abiggail work for the state of Kansas. Fred Jr. is a Kansas Department of Corrections attorney. Both Margie and Abiggail work for the Department of Corrections as well. Margie is the Director of Reentry. Kansas, apparently, has no problem hiring members of hate groups.

According to Kansas Open Government, the three Phelps made a total of $168,019.42 in 2012. The Phelp's family law firm is Phelps-Chartered Co., the church is incorporated as part of the law firm.
CleverFox
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2013 1:57:31 AM

I have told one of my nephews what music I wish to be played at my funeral(Duel of the Fates, Mars the Bringer of War and I'll Be Happy When You're Dead You Rascal You) and how at my viewing hours I want a cold keg of beer and several bottles of scotch placed on my casket so everybody over 21 can chug a beer and down a shot.

To be very honest I want the people that attend my funeral to be celebrating my life and the way I lived it and for them to have one last hurra in my name.

If I had the WBC protesting at my FUNeral, that would be the icing on the cake of my life and I know that I would have died a happy man. bootyshake

Edit:I wonder if it would be possible to have my bare ass exposed to them as my casket is carried past them?
EDWolfe
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2013 9:14:22 PM

First, I would like to express a congratulations to Jason Collins; coming out of the closet--any closet--is a hard experience. His coming-out was very high-profile, which had to make it harder for him. I wish him luck.

As far as the Westboro Baptists go, the best thing we can do is educate our kids about hate, and how it has no place in modern society. I think we should pass a law that allows the family to ban protesters from demonstrating within 100 yards of a funeral. After all, there's no reason that a family has to deal with a bunch of hate when they're laying a loved one to rest. The best part about this law is the fact that the family gets to decide what protesters are allowed within 100 yards; the motorcycle counter-protesters would be allowed to block the WBC, but the WBC wouldn't be allowed to harass a family in their time of grief.

MoonlightSerenity
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2013 6:20:06 AM

This is all I have to add on the matter.

Teased and Tormented -My very first story and competition entry is now up!
Tranquil
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 3:18:18 AM

Westbro's are fanatics. and sensationalist.

Hell they try to picket peoples funerals? I mean where the hell is the Christian act in that?
Even snoopy and the Red Baron stopped for christmas day.(ok so snoopy etc aren't real but you get the drift).

They are the type that will incite if not cause violence in the end.

Christian acts of kindness, of loving each other and Christianity religions seem to rarely work together anymore. I am catholic and find it extremely hard to co exist with the churches rules for many reasons. I believe people have the Right to be what every sexuality their inner soul tells them they need to be. and am proud our country has made the decision to allow Gay marriage. this should come under equal rights world wide.

Well done for Jason Collins to come out while still active in his field of work.

homosexuality has been around since the dawn of time, it was made illegal by Queen Victoria not the bible.

Yes the bible says and I quote
"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them".

but lets take note that the bible (changed many times to fit the rulers at the time) was written by man, it is not written by god.

it also says

"Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself."

Now considering that 99.9% of the male population masturbate, you could take that as a positive step.

I do believe however that Westboro's is a voice that may grow bigger because people whom don't understand seek stronger voices to join and therefore should not be taken lightly.

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/my-mother-warned-me-1.aspx

[i]Poem : The Cyber Touch http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/the-cyber-touch.aspx
Poem : The Last Moments http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/the-last-moments.aspx
Story : One day only http://www.lushstories.com/stories/oral-sex/one-day-only.aspx
Poem: My Toy http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/my-toy.aspx#comments/i]

Belthazor
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2013 6:38:24 PM

This is pretty much my feelings on it. Granted, the whole Mischa (sp?) Collins being God thing is just Supernatural fun, I imagine the real God's attitude toward the situation is pretty similar. God created all of us and knew from the first moment of creation what we would become. He doesn't make mistakes. He's God. There's always a plan; we might not know exactly what it is, but it's not our place to know, nor to try and decide that we have the right to judge each other like the WBC does. They are the evil ones and I have no doubt that God will punish them and other hateful bigots in time.
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2013 8:29:13 PM

Magical_felix wrote:
Those people are about as serious as a clown smoking a bong.

It is best to pay them no mind. They thrive on attention. I doubt they believe their own bullshit. It's just a family of inbred folk.

Boy Felix...must you pick on bongs?
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 10:00:43 PM

"Ooey-gooey rich and chewy inside Golden flakey tender cakey outside Wrap the inside in the outside, is it good? Darn tootin'! Doin' the Big, Fig, Newton (here's the tricky part) The Big, Fig, Newton (one more time!) The Big, Fig, a-Newton!". thumbright

Oh, and for Westboro....thefinger
Emerys
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:16:13 AM

Question #1: What are your feelings about the WBC?

They make my blood boil.

Question #2: How do we legally stop them from doing this, since the United States constitution guarantees us our right to have free speech?

Ah, freedom of speech. Talk about a double edged sword. Y'know, the WBC actually makes me regret this freedom of ours a little. I'd love nothing more than to shut them down, personally. Still, the overall pros of freedom of speech far outweighs the cons of having to listen to and acknowledge the existence of a bunch of lunatics, IMO.

Anyway, I'm all for ignoring them to an extent. To start with I wouldn't go on their website. I read somewhere that they get paid for for site views-- something like that anyway. I need to look into it.

Now for the "to an extent" part. I totally approve of "shutting them down" when they're active. For instance, it makes me giddy when a crowd prevents them from picketing/protesting something. I don't think we should engage them by arguing since they probably get off on it, the creepers, but being so loud/making so much noise that no one can hear what they're saying? Or forming a wall around them-- backs turned to them-- so they can't access certain places? That's awesome.