Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Protests in Brasil. Options · View
1curiouscat
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 10:08:22 AM

Its been a while since I have participated in anything on Lush. Just wanted to let you all in on some news, maybe provide a deeper perspective from the ground.

I´m not sure how extensive foreign coverage has been over the happenings in my country over the last few days. Mostly peaceful, the Brasilian people have become restless and have taken their frustration to the streets.

Billions have been spent on the massive stadiums that will be used for the World Cup next year and probably left to rot afterwards. We call them “white elephants”. South Africa is full of them, so is china. (Legacies of the 2010 World Cup and 2008 Olympics).

The problem here is not the concept or design of these structure, but the fact that my country’s health system is inexistent and our education system is forgotten. If this public capital (our taxes) was invested back into the public system we could heal most of our heartaches. We could fix the system.

In the last 20 years, the country has undergone an intense wave of privatization on all spheres of society. Things have gotten “better” since the 80s, but at what cost?

Corruption has never been more rampant. Social inequality has never been more prevalent. The people are fed up with the public system and are standing up against it. Peacefully!

The last 8 days of protests and marches mark the beginning of a new chapter in our story. When Brasil stops being the country of the future and begins shaping its present.

The video below gives you some basic info as to what is happening.

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
Rembacher
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 6:01:01 PM

I saw Sepp Blatter was urging the protesters and people in general not to link the protests with soccer. But the two are definitely linked. Brazil spent a lot of money on the world cup, building stadiums it otherwise didn't see the need to build. I think it's completely understandable for people to question why the country felt that soccer stadiums were more important to build than hospitals.
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 6:55:12 PM

So, are you entertained? Of course you are. Tonight in my own little part of this little fishbowl, we are hosting the finals in the NBA. Woohoo, go Heat! However, there is a spot just three (3) city blocks from this spot where another stadium once stood. It is now a field, and one little portion of it is used by local skaters to pratice their bitchin moves. Go about less than 10 blocks from that point and a stadium once stood (Orange Bowl), and it is now replaced with a huge megalith of a stadium that houses a shitty baseball team (Miami Marlins).

At every turn a community is told by its leader that building "it" will help the community and yet nothing ever comes of it. Politicians lie. Fans lie to themselves. And, in the end, we lie to our fellow man and say we care.

I wonder how ESPN would've covered Maximus and his rise?
elitfromnorth
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:50:44 PM

One of the key points that at least IOC and I think FIFA as well have in their requirements for applicants is that the stadiums and arenas must be used by locals afterwards. Sure, you can have some arenas that are temporary(this goes especially for the Olympics because not all sports are popular in every country), but the big permanent ones will have to remain standing. I believe most of what was used during the 94 Olympics at Lillehammer here in Norway is still being used.

However, now both IOC and FIFA are more riddled with corruption than the cops in a gangstermovie, that requirement has gone out the window. I think that became rather obvious when FIFA gave the world cups to Russia and especially Qatar. Corruption and a mad man's desire(Sepp Blatter) to be accepted as a world wide peace worker has pretty much blown that out the window.

They're talking about another Olympics here, the 2022 I believe, and it's pretty much the same arguments being flung around. We're gonna have to pay at least 5 billion USD if we're having it, and even if Oslo could do well with having their transportation system fixed up and modernized, it's still something the majority of the country won't get to enjoy, yet we get stuck with the bill.

The sports snob love the idea because they get to look back at it and view it as their "legacy", and partly the politicians too. It becomes their way of showing the world "look how awesome we are". If only their intentions were that it would benefit the people then it would have been acceptable, but it's not.

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
nicola
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2013 12:26:31 AM

It's absolutely sickening.

Ever since I watched "City of God", I've looked at the plight of Brazil, in a whole new light.
1curiouscat
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2013 6:17:22 AM

Last night was by far the most important night of the manifestations. The protests took hold of over 100 Brasilian cities simultaneously

There are counts of 2 million participants, chanting on the streets. That’s 10% of the nation’s population.

Over one week of this movement and not one death related to the protest. Peacefully we will create our reality.

Proud day.

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
1curiouscat
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2013 9:31:52 AM