Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Kate Upton Too big to be SI swimsuit? Options · View
Ravyn
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:38:00 PM

The media saying she is 'heavy' (to be a swimsuit model) is the exact reason why women of the world are self conscious about their looks and weight. This could be the start of a major rant, but I won't waste my key strokes as I am sure most who read this thread know exactly what I would say if I did continue with it.

BlondeBookworm
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:58:07 PM

Ravyn wrote:
The media saying she is 'heavy' (to be a swimsuit model) is the exact reason why women of the world are self conscious about their looks and weight. This could be the start of a major rant, but I won't waste my key strokes as I am sure most who read this thread know exactly what I would say if I did continue with it.

I agree. It's sad that negative things are even said. She looks perfectly fine and healthy so why do we have to judge people so much?
Ardentmale
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 11:23:30 PM

Just found this pic... the caption says she is 30 pounds too heavy for this outfit... I say they can go suck it!! I think she looks perfectly fine and sexy as hell... Sad what media wants you to believe...

characterized by intense feeling; passionate; fervent

Intensely devoted, eager, or enthusiastic; zealous

vehement; fierce burning, fiery, or hot
Dazzleme04769
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 12:10:14 AM

She is a very attractive and sexy woman. She is a better reflection of American women than those wafer-thin models who never eat a meal. Give me a woman with real curves anytime!!!
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 2:01:41 AM

she's really hot!
SydneySider
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 2:27:55 AM

I really dont think we can compare "catwalk" and "swimsuit" models or put them in the same category because they are "models". They are totally different because they are selling different things. It would actually make me sick to see a catwalk model in a swimsuit. Thank god they have their bony ass's covered up. As for the swimsuit model, I dont think you can beat a peachy ass, legs and arms with some meat on them, and enough boob to at least fill a bikini. As for Kate, I can see why they would say she is not in good enough shape to model a bikini, but I think she looks super sexy. Good on her for getting out there as she is, or how ever she looks on any given day. That, is sexy..

AriOli101
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 3:37:55 AM

Kate Upton = beautiful!

Fuck "too big".

I'm sorry, but for most models a size 10 is too big. The whole bony-ribs-sticking-out-look maybe great for hanging fabric from, but when it comes to showing some skin there needs to be curves.

*sigh*

The fashion world is bullshit sometimes!!

Make love not horcruxes! >^_^<

Check out my stories, you'd be surprised what I can do :)
CaseyGrae
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 5:19:25 AM

Dear God, she is gorgeous, and she looks healthy! That's what we need to see more of!
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 6:52:12 AM

She is definitely more Playboy than fashion model to me. And actually - commercial models tend to make way more $ than the runway/editorial variety. And speaking of commercials, she is a major sexpot in this one.

She is smart to cash in on this type of modelling (the whole 'sex sells' thing) rather than try to force herself into a niche-market that she would really have to suffer to maintain the standards for. She will become more of a name doing this kind of stuff, having the confidence and healthy body image and keeping the 'controversy' going in the fashion circles rather than starving herself down and becoming just another coat hanger on the runway.

There's modelling opportunity for all kinds of girls - as long as you play into your natural genetics and know you can't do it all. And that comment goes both ways - you know a waif-type runway model isn't going to get hired for this kind of commercial either. It's not that big of a deal - there's plenty of work to go around.

As well - every female I know far prefers to aspire to swimsuit/playboy model standards rather than Gucci model standards. The runway figures are there purely to sell the clothes, not to tell us what we want to look like.

ShyVixen
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 7:02:17 AM

Ardentmale wrote:
Just found this pic... the caption says she is 30 pounds too heavy for this outfit... I say they can go suck it!! I think she looks perfectly fine and sexy as hell... Sad what media wants you to believe...

First she is beautiful. Second the bathing suit doesn't fit properly but she looks hot!! I love that she is supposedly "30" too heavy, because if that's the case "you go girl" love your curves!
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 7:08:21 AM

Kate Upton has to be one of the most beautiful women to grace this planet. She is perfect in every sense of the word. Who ever says that she is overweight is obviously a fucking moron. I wouldn't kick her out of my bed for eating crackers.
Dani
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 9:16:05 AM

Kate's gorgeous. Perhaps this bathing suit was made for someone smaller than she is, but that's no reflection on her. She's perfect to me. The bathing suit is an awful fit. She'd look great in this exact same bathing suit if it were made in her size.

Baby put your arms around me, tell me I'm a problem...

Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 6:17:25 AM

she is gorgeous
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 6:03:04 PM

LadyX wrote:

I hadn't heard any of this, but it does make sense. She has runway-model stature (5'10" if I recall), so naturally, at some point, comments would be made in reference to her 'modeling' qualities. It's almost unfair to judge any woman vs. a runway model, even women of world-class beauty and appeal like Kate Upton. They're often not even "pretty", but through genetics and hard work, they fit a very specific body type and are highly skilled. Some do cross over to lingerie and retail fashion modeling. And so yes, I can see how Kate would be considered too heavy by 20 or so pounds, and not toned enough to fit that mold. And as head-shaking as the instant reaction to that may be, it might be that Kate Upton's ill-fit as a potential runway model is a prime example of how futile and just plain unhealthy it is judge ourselves on that standard.

I think the trap to avoid here is equating industry model standards with "what men want," or "what we as women should aspire to." The polling has been done, here at Lush and in western society at large, and men don't, by and large, seek out size-2, 6'-1" women. They don't look at Kate Upton and think "ugh, could she please mix in a few sit-ups? Jesus Christ, she's flabby."

Just because VS or any other fashion line (to say nothing of the haute couture houses) has a very strict and specific requirement for their models, it doesn't mean that their standards are a mirror of society's standards for women. Unless you're auditioning for modeling work at Prada, nobody's saying you should be a size 0 with a tiny ass and a bony face.

In my opinion, Kate Upton is damn near perfect, right down to the fact that her body isn't robotically fit and trim. She seems real*, and no less sexy or beautiful for it.

*though not necessarily attainable, of course LOL. But also not 'plastic', or with innate aloofness, the way models like Klum and Gisele, and even Brooklyn Decker seem to be.

This whole business about who should and shouldn't appear on the cover of SI is very affirmative, in that, it really raises the question of a conflict in values: on the one hand we have women who have "photogenic" looks and thus are used by business to market products to make money; but are such women healthy physically, and does the image that they project to young women who view them as beautiful and themselves as ordinary or "fat" have a healthy effect on their psyches??
I have worked with young women at a Uni all my life, and must tell you that the consensus is that the effect of such thinking is very harmful to young women. It is tragic to see women treated this way!!
This happens all the time, that is, the rumors about women like Kate Upton as I happen to adore Kate Winslet and she has been turned down for many roles because they say the same thing about her!!

I can tell you as a man, that to many of us, not all, granted, but a lot more than women suspect perhaps, both Kate Upton and Winslet, are gorgeous women, just as Beyonce is!

So to me, a man who has seen thousands of young women down on themselves because they don't look like stick people, including one of my own, the real questions is: What are we going to do with businesses that project unhealthy images of women to our young women that can
potentially harm them? Can we do nothing at all about it?
What can we do to help young women feel better about themselves?