Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

What's your opinion on abortion? Options · View
AriOli101
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 3:37:48 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 7/3/2013
Posts: 160
Location: United Kingdom
Mine is that it is *not* acceptable:

- When used as a form of contraception, (eg, repeated visits because you couldn't be bothered with contraception).
- When the child has a MINOR disability (eg, clef palate) when you want a "perfect" child.
- When you've consciously had unprotected sex KNOWING that it could lead to pregnancy and you just don't care.

It is acceptable:

- In the case of the child being born into an environment where it would not be wanted/loved or it would have a poor quality of life (eg, already have kids you can't afford, families with a history of abuse/neglect, etc).
- When the child would have a SEVERE disability (eg, dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa).
- In cases of rape/forced marriage (because if the marriage is forced, it's fairly likely the sex will also be forced) where the child is not wanted and in ALL cases of incest.
- When the mental or physical health of the mother is at stake.

I consider myself to be a fairly liberal person, however, I do think people need to take responsibility for their actions and deal with the consequences. Having been in the position where I've seriously had to think about having an abortion, I do have some kind of insight.

I just want to find out people's opinions, not to offend anyone.

Make love not horcruxes! >^_^<

Check out my stories, you'd be surprised what I can do :)
Dani
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 3:45:19 PM

Rank: Penguin Wrangler

Joined: 12/25/2010
Posts: 4,053
Location: Under Your Bed, United States
I'm pro-choice. I'm not gonna dictate what a person can/cannot do with their own body. And I'm not gonna say what is/isn't acceptable. Whatever the reason, it's up to them. It's their decision. They have to live with it, either way.

As for me personally, I wouldn't get one...for any reason. There are things you can do right before and right after to prevent an unwanted pregnancy. And there are many other options out there. But to each their own. The moment someone decides for any reason that they do not want to carry a baby to term and give birth, then they should be able to make and deal with that decision.


EDIT: I say this as someone whose biological mother and her family were strongly leaning toward abortion. Adoption was chosen instead.




We're tiny. We're toony. We're all a little looney. And in this cartoony, we're invading your TV.

MadMartigan
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 4:51:21 PM

Rank: Story Verifier

Joined: 6/17/2013
Posts: 1,904
Location: United States
All I'm going to say on this extremely touchy matter is that a woman's body is a woman's body and the government, particularly a legislature ruled by over 80% men, many of them old, disgruntled, and living in the past, has no right to make laws on their bodily functions.

I'm fully 100% behind women's rights. All women's rights.

To say otherwise or believe otherwise, is, in my opinion, to risk the extreme, theocratic dystopia described in Margaret Atwood's chilling and depressing "The Handmaiden's Tale".

Unfortunately, Texas and North Carolina already seem to be trying to do such things.

And it disgusts me.

That is all.
sprite
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 4:54:45 PM

Rank: Her Royal Spriteness

Joined: 6/18/2010
Posts: 13,678
Location: My Tower, United States
i believe it is a personal choice and should be left at that and i think the laws should reflect that stance.
kiera
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 5:25:19 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/23/2013
Posts: 7,587
Location: United Kingdom
Personally, unless there was an illness involved I would never even consider it as a choice, and trust me my youngest was a shock, a friend of mine got me a book when i had my 1st child and it said to become a mother was to have your heart grow arms and legs, so very very true. That being said I do not judge women who decide not to continue with a pregnancy its just a shame because my children are the biggest joy in my life.
Milik_Redman
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 6:20:16 PM

Rank: Internet Philosopher

Joined: 8/14/2009
Posts: 3,773
Location: somewhere deep under the Earth, United States
As a man, I have never felt myself to truly be in a position to take a stand on this issue. Moreover, as I don't have children of my own, I lack perspective to understand those that would be willing to make extraordinary sacrifice to raise a disabled child.

I became sterile in my early twenties, and that fact haunted me for years. I do know that had I managed to impregnate a woman I was with, and she opted to end it, I probably would have been personally devastated. Still, I would at least have understood that she did so as the person whose body was carrying the child. I think that would have given her the right to the final decision.

So, by default I have to say I'm pro choice. I really can't find the argument necessary to attempt making a woman give birth to a child against her will, even if it was my genetic material that cause the pregnancy in the first place.

β€œIt is a great thing to know your vices.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero




http://www.lushstories.com/stories/cheating/a-trans-atlantic-affair.aspx
Buz
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 8:06:00 PM

Rank: The Linebacker

Joined: 3/2/2011
Posts: 5,181
Location: Atlanta, United States
Keep it legal. Abortion numbers are actually way down because of better birth control options and availability. The morning after (Plan B) pill is probably a huge factor in bringing abortion numbers down. An excellent medical option.

I have written a new poem. It is called 'Long Twisty Woman.'
You can read it at: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/long-twisty-woman.aspxx
Also, if you wish, check out my co-authored a story with the wonderful DanielleX. It is called 'Focus on Sex.'
You can read it at: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/quickie-sex/focused-on-sex-1.aspx

Guest
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 8:39:15 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,708
Ok, tis is such a touchy subject to begin with. I'm very conservative fiscally and generally liberal in other area ll but this one. I used to be a huge pro-choicer, that is until I mis carried multiple times. I realized then it doesn't matter the age of the fetus , still a child. I'm also not one to tell others how to think seeing as many friends have chosen this route. Just I wish women would take the chance to either keep or give up for adoption. I know many that would love a newborn genetic issues or not.
Ruthie
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 8:39:56 PM

Rank: Story Verifier

Joined: 10/21/2010
Posts: 2,176
Location: United States
AriOli101 wrote:
Mine is that it is *not* acceptable:

- When used as a form of contraception, (eg, repeated visits because you couldn't be bothered with contraception).
- When the child has a MINOR disability (eg, clef palate) when you want a "perfect" child.
- When you've consciously had unprotected sex KNOWING that it could lead to pregnancy and you just don't care.

It is acceptable:

- In the case of the child being born into an environment where it would not be wanted/loved or it would have a poor quality of life (eg, already have kids you can't afford, families with a history of abuse/neglect, etc).
- When the child would have a SEVERE disability (eg, dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa).
- In cases of rape/forced marriage (because if the marriage is forced, it's fairly likely the sex will also be forced) where the child is not wanted and in ALL cases of incest.
- When the mental or physical health of the mother is at stake.

I consider myself to be a fairly liberal person, however, I do think people need to take responsibility for their actions and deal with the consequences. Having been in the position where I've seriously had to think about having an abortion, I do have some kind of insight.

I just want to find out people's opinions, not to offend anyone.


I certainly respect your right not to have an abortion under those circumstances which you feel it would be unacceptable. All I want is for you and everyone else to extend me the same right.
Piquet
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 9:00:35 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/12/2009
Posts: 340
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Like all of life's other important decisions pregancy and parenthood should be planned and not entered into lightly. As a parent and a person I'm against abortion if it can be avoided. Abortion is legal in Australia and is mostly used these days when the baby is severely disabled. Our medical system is one of the best in the world and the counselling that goes with it leaves women and men with the power to make the right decision.


http://www.lushstories.com/stories/quickie-sex/claudia-incarnatapart-vii.aspx
BelleduJour
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 10:43:52 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/13/2011
Posts: 1,508
Location: Canada
AriOli101 wrote:
Mine is that it is *not* acceptable:

- When used as a form of contraception, (eg, repeated visits because you couldn't be bothered with contraception).
- When the child has a MINOR disability (eg, clef palate) when you want a "perfect" child.
- When you've consciously had unprotected sex KNOWING that it could lead to pregnancy and you just don't care.

It is acceptable:

- In the case of the child being born into an environment where it would not be wanted/loved or it would have a poor quality of life (eg, already have kids you can't afford, families with a history of abuse/neglect, etc).
- When the child would have a SEVERE disability (eg, dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa).
- In cases of rape/forced marriage (because if the marriage is forced, it's fairly likely the sex will also be forced) where the child is not wanted and in ALL cases of incest.
- When the mental or physical health of the mother is at stake.

I consider myself to be a fairly liberal person, however, I do think people need to take responsibility for their actions and deal with the consequences. Having been in the position where I've seriously had to think about having an abortion, I do have some kind of insight.

I just want to find out people's opinions, not to offend anyone.


I respect your perspective on the subject and realize this is indeed a touchy topic because it really isn't just black and white.

I've waivered on this topic over the years, mainly fuelled by my Christian upbringing and a strict devout Catholic Italian mother who made me believe that if I masturbated, I was going to hell (HA!). Thankfully, I've managed to grow up, get some life experience and form my own opinions on many difficult topics not the least of which is abortion. With regards to this topic, I'm definitely pro-choice and believe that, if only from a purely political, logical and human rights perspective, a woman has a right to choose especially with regards to her own body and shouldn't be forced into making decisions created by a select group of people who seem to only see things from a singular perspective.

At the same time, as you outlined, I will admit to having some concerns with women who use abortion as a form of regular birth control, and I've seen it more often than I'd care to admit, especially with the younger generation. Something I feel is unacceptable in an age where birth control has never been more available and accessible than ever before. I recognize that may sound a bit hypocritical which I can only attribute to perhaps a bit of leftover residue from my moral upbringing, not sure.

For me personally, abortion isn't an option for any reason but to each their own. Even though it may not be something that is right for ME and even if I have a handful of reservations about it as already expressed, I would NEVER dictate what a woman should or shouldn't do. It's not my life to live. At the end of the day, we all have to make hard choices about so many things in our lives and ultimately, we have to live with those choices and the ramifications both good and bad.

AriOli101
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 1:41:27 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 7/3/2013
Posts: 160
Location: United Kingdom
I completely see your arguments. I may have written my initial schpei wrong.

I meant it's not acceptable in my mind, so they're circumstances where I would/wouldn't have an abortion.

Thanks for your honest opinions xxxx

Make love not horcruxes! >^_^<

Check out my stories, you'd be surprised what I can do :)
AriOli101
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 2:19:16 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 7/3/2013
Posts: 160
Location: United Kingdom
CoopsRuthie wrote:
I certainly respect your right not to have an abortion under those circumstances which you feel it would be unacceptable. All I want is for you and everyone else to extend me the same right.


Just want to point out that I'm pro-choice, I really am. I just don't think it should be used under those circumstances (that's just personal preference, and the circumstances under which *I* would/would not having one).

Just realised how much of a dick I sounded and I apologise for that. IMO, every woman should have the choice and the right to terminate her pregnancy if she so wishes.

I got pregnant a while ago. It was unplanned, a complete accident. I was on the pill, but as I have hormonal issues (which were unknown at the time) it wasn't as effective as it should be, so I ended up pregnant. I had to seriously think about having an abortion or adoption. I was pregnant by my SO who has stuck by me and we're still together.

A couple of weeks later I miscarried our child. This isn't designed to get pity or sympathy, it's just to show that I have been there and I'm not just some bratty 18YO who thinks she knows everything.

Make love not horcruxes! >^_^<

Check out my stories, you'd be surprised what I can do :)
BelleduJour
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 4:36:37 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/13/2011
Posts: 1,508
Location: Canada
AriOli101 wrote:
I completely see your arguments. I may have written my initial schpei wrong.

I meant it's not acceptable in my mind, so they're circumstances where I would/wouldn't have an abortion.

Thanks for your honest opinions xxxx


I think you expressed yourself well Ari - no need to apologize, at least not to me. Again, this is a very touchy subject and most definitely one that has many, many layers to it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and until you've actually had to come face to face with having to seriously ponder and weigh all the options including terminating a pregnancy, no one will ever truly understand just how difficult it really is.

All is fine :)

Dancing_Doll
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 6:34:15 AM

Rank: Alpha Blonde

Joined: 2/17/2010
Posts: 5,980
Location: In your dirty fantasies
sprite wrote:
i believe it is a personal choice and should be left at that and i think the laws should reflect that stance.


This is my opinion, as well.

I don't like to use the terms "this isn't right if" and "I support it only in these situations". It's a personal choice for every woman - and she should always have that right to decide, provided the timing allows this procedure to be safely and ethically completed.

I would also point out, that regardless of the reason behind it, abortion is not a casual choice for many of the women who choose this. Very often, it is a permanent emotional and psychological scar, that will withstand the test of time. It may be the 'right' choice in a particular situation, but that doesn't mean it's an 'easy' choice.



trinket
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 7:29:19 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/5/2012
Posts: 9,996
Location: Nowhere near you, Australia
Choosiemamma wrote:
Ok, tis is such a touchy subject to begin with. I'm very conservative fiscally and generally liberal in other area ll but this one. I used to be a huge pro-choicer, that is until I mis carried multiple times. I realized then it doesn't matter the age of the fetus , still a child. I'm also not one to tell others how to think seeing as many friends have chosen this route. Just I wish women would take the chance to either keep or give up for adoption. I know many that would love a newborn genetic issues or not.


As someone who cannot bear a child, I find it very difficult to condone ending a life. A life is a life, I don't care how far along the pregnancy is. Without an abortion it is probable a child would be born. A child that deserves a life. I cannot see how ending a life is a better choice than letting someone else raise that child. Why choose abortion? Are you scared of what people will think? Scared that child would knock on your door in 18 years time?

I understand there could be circumstances where an abortion would be the best option e.g. obviously if there is a danger to the mothers health, but in my opinion, not if it's just someone who was too lazy or stupid to use birth control, and then was too lazy or stupid to get the morning after pill.
Imagine if your mother had decided to abort you?.

RumpleForeskin
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 8:03:19 AM

Rank: The Right Rev of Lush

Joined: 7/3/2009
Posts: 2,841
Location: Lost in the ozone somewhere east of Luckenbach Tx,
What do I think about abortions? I think they should be:
safe, legal, and infrequent

glasses8

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. - ROBERT HEINLEIN

REUNITINGhis need, her want, in a cab -- my contest entry

FROM:
Becky -- FOR: Matt -- With Love:
a Festive contest winner – honest

HOW HUMANS DO IT: a fish-eye view of sex an Editor's Pick - no kidding
principessa
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 9:20:52 AM

Rank: Sophisticate

Joined: 8/23/2011
Posts: 3,922
Location: Canada
I am pro- choice, especially in cases of rape and incest, for the mother's health issues or those of the unborn child. Abortion should be legal, available, and accessible for the poor. It should not be a substitute for birth control, but I do not believe in bringing children into the world to circumstances where they will be abused and neglected.

I respect those who do not agree with abortion. That is their choice. No one who is anti-choice will ever be forced to have an abortion. They should not have the power to choose for the rest of us. They should channel their efforts to adopting children in the child welfare system who are unwanted rather than imposing their views on others.

Dani
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 9:55:46 AM

Rank: Penguin Wrangler

Joined: 12/25/2010
Posts: 4,053
Location: Under Your Bed, United States
trinket wrote:



I understand there could be circumstances where an abortion would be the best option e.g. obviously if there is a danger to the mothers health, but in my opinion, not if it's just someone who was too lazy or stupid to use birth control, and then was too lazy or stupid to get the morning after pill.
Imagine if your mother had decided to abort you?.


I really hate commenting on someone's opinion, as they are free to have one, but it is this kind of close-mindedness that has people justifying their denial of certain women's rights.

And as far as my mother deciding to abort me? She didn't. Her family decided it for her. She ran away until she was too far along to get one. So they did the next best thing and arranged an adoption. Yes, she made sure that a family was secured for me before I even came out the womb. Pretty smart for a teenager, I must say.

But how many are this smart? How many are left on church doorsteps or hospitals or fire stations? How many get lost in foster care system? Suffering abuse after abuse after abuse. Only having to realize over and over and over that they matter to no one. For every child that gets adopted in America, there are hundreds if not thousands that are only being kept around to collect checks...money they never see. They starve. They get malnourished. They get sick. They die. Do you know how many kids are lost in 'the system', never to be heard from again? So having a baby and putting it up for adoption isn't so cut and dry as you seem to think. It sounds very ideal. Oh yes. Carry this child that you don't want for nearly a year. Share your body, your nourishment, your energy, your health, your LIFE with them when you don't want to just because someone says you should. Because someone MIGHT want them. Or someone may not. Luck of the draw, really.

Adoption is a beautiful thing, but the point of abortion is to avoid the child carrying process altogether, no? If a woman doesn't wanna do that, she shouldn't have to. Period. Even if it's for the most selfish of reasons, they have to live with it, not you. Your opinions should never be strong enough to dictate someone's personal choices.

I'll always feel for couples who can't have children because one or both don't have the ability. I was adopted by such a couple. And I would never get an abortion for this very reason. But I will never deny another woman the right, no matter how strongly and deeply rooted my stance is.



We're tiny. We're toony. We're all a little looney. And in this cartoony, we're invading your TV.

trinket
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 10:41:55 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/5/2012
Posts: 9,996
Location: Nowhere near you, Australia
slipperywhenwet2012 wrote:


I really hate commenting on someone's opinion, as they are free to have one, but it is this kind of close-mindedness that has people justifying their denial of certain women's rights.

And as far as my mother deciding to abort me? She didn't. Her family decided it for her. She ran away until she was too far along to get one. So they did the next best thing and arranged an adoption. Yes, she made sure that a family was secured for me before I even came out the womb. Pretty smart for a teenager, I must say.

But how many are this smart? How many are left on church doorsteps or hospitals or fire stations? How many get lost in foster care system? Suffering abuse after abuse after abuse. Only having to realize over and over and over that they matter to no one. For every child that gets adopted in America, there are hundreds if not thousands that are only being kept around to collect checks...money they never see. They starve. They get malnourished. They get sick. They die. Do you know how many kids are lost in 'the system', never to be heard from again? So having a baby and putting it up for adoption isn't so cut and dry as you seem to think. It sounds very ideal. Oh yes. Carry this child that you don't want for nearly a year. Share your body, your nourishment, your energy, your health, your LIFE with them when you don't want to just because someone says you should. Because someone MIGHT want them. Or someone may not. Luck of the draw, really.

Adoption is a beautiful thing, but the point of abortion is to avoid the child carrying process altogether, no? If a woman doesn't wanna do that, she shouldn't have to. Period. Even if it's for the most selfish of reasons, they have to live with it, not you. Your opinions should never be strong enough to dictate someone's personal choices.

I'll always feel for couples who can't have children because one or both don't have the ability. I was adopted by such a couple. And I would never get an abortion for this very reason. But I will never deny another woman the right, no matter how strongly and deeply rooted my stance is.



Slippery, I did not try to force my views on anyone. I posted my opinion and I said that. I didn't tell anyone what they 'should' or 'shouldn't' do yet you are telling me that my opinions shouldn't be strong enough to dictate someone's personal choices. What I posted isn't stopping anyone from choosing to have an abortion. It's just my opinion. Are you telling me I don't have the right to disagree with abortion under certain circumstances?

As a matter of fact, my mother was pregnant with me when she was a teen, she also ran away because her parents wanted her to have an abortion but here I am today.

I didn't post and tell you or anyone else their opinions were wrong. I posted MY opinion. There are other people on the thread who have opinions that are not pro choice, why are you targeting me?

Dani
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 10:51:59 AM

Rank: Penguin Wrangler

Joined: 12/25/2010
Posts: 4,053
Location: Under Your Bed, United States
trinket wrote:



Slippery, I did not try to force my views on anyone. I posted my opinion and I said that. I didn't tell anyone what they 'should' or 'shouldn't' do yet you are telling me that my opinions shouldn't be strong enough to dictate someone's personal choices. What I posted isn't stopping anyone from choosing to have an abortion. It's just my opinion. Are you telling me I don't have the right to disagree with abortion under certain circumstances?

As a matter of fact, my mother was pregnant with me when she was a teen, she also ran away because her parents wanted her to have an abortion but here I am today.

I didn't post and tell you or anyone else their opinions were wrong. I posted MY opinion. There are other people on the thread who are not pro choice, why are you targeting me?


Oh please. I never said you were dictating anything. I was saying that it's small-minded statements such as 'Too stupid to be on birth control or get the morning after pill' that lead to the justification for the denial of a woman's right to an abortion.

I'm not targeting you. If someone else said something this small-minded, I would have quoted them and not you. But alas, you're the one that said it, therefore you're the one I'm addressing.



We're tiny. We're toony. We're all a little looney. And in this cartoony, we're invading your TV.

trinket
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 11:09:31 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/5/2012
Posts: 9,996
Location: Nowhere near you, Australia
slipperywhenwet2012 wrote:


Oh please. I never said you were dictating anything. I was saying that it's small-minded statements such as 'Too stupid to be on birth control or get the morning after pill' that lead to the justification for the denial of a woman's right to an abortion.

I'm not targeting you. If someone else said something this small-minded, I would have quoted them and not you. But alas, you're the one that said it, therefore you're the one I'm addressing.


The OP asked the question "What is your opinion on abortion", I gave my opinion on abortion. If you think it's closed minded, that's your prerogative. Just because you say it, doesn't make it true. If you have anything further to say on my closed-minded opinions, could you please send me a private message instead of discussing it in this thread.

jollylolly
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 11:23:50 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 6/24/2012
Posts: 334
Location: Texas, United States
Wow, wouldn't it be great if all women grew up with Cliff & Claire Huxtable parents, received sex education at home and school, were never assaulted, or forced, or felt pressured to have sex, had access to birth control and money to pay for it, or the self respect to demand their partner wear a condom, or really just never ever made a mistake...

I have a lot of sympathy for people who can't have children or suffered miscarriages, but the rest of us are not breeders for you. I live in a state where dozens of clinics (the ones that provide contraceptives, mammograms, STD treatment, etc. to the millions of uninsured women we have here) will be closing thanks to the efforts of anti-abortion lobbyists. It's really bad, y'all!
Dani
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 11:25:11 AM

Rank: Penguin Wrangler

Joined: 12/25/2010
Posts: 4,053
Location: Under Your Bed, United States
trinket wrote:


The OP asked the question "What is your opinion on abortion", I gave my opinion on abortion. If you think it's closed minded, that's your prerogative. Just because you say it, doesn't make it true. If you have anything further to say on my closed-minded opinions, could you please send me a private message instead of discussing it in this thread.


I'm aware of what the OP asked. But this thread is a discussion about abortion. Why would I wanna talk to you personally about abortion? If I felt the need to PM you, I would have done so by now.

I didn't say your opinion is close-minded. It's well-founded. You can't have children so you'll never fully condone abortion. That's totally understandable. I know plenty of people with the same stance for the same exact reasons.

I said 'Being too lazy and stupid for birth control and morning after pill' is a close-minded statement, being that neither are the cure for abortion.

And yes, I totally agree with you that it is my prerogative to say that close-minded blanket statements such as the one you made are what lead to the justification for denying a woman's right to an abortion.

Thanks for pointing that out.happy8





We're tiny. We're toony. We're all a little looney. And in this cartoony, we're invading your TV.

MadMartigan
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 11:41:44 AM

Rank: Story Verifier

Joined: 6/17/2013
Posts: 1,904
Location: United States
slipperywhenwet2012 wrote:


I'm aware of what the OP asked. But this thread is a discussion about abortion. Why would I wanna talk to you personally about abortion? If I felt the need to PM you, I would have done so by now.

I didn't say your opinion is close-minded. It's well-founded. You can't have children so you'll never fully condone abortion. That's totally understandable. I know plenty of people with the same stance for the same exact reasons.

I said 'Being too lazy and stupid for birth control and morning after pill' is a close-minded statement, being that neither are the cure for abortion.

And yes, I totally agree with you that it is my prerogative to say that close-minded blanket statements such as the one you made are what lead to the justification for denying a woman's right to an abortion.

Thanks for pointing that out.happy8



Agreed....

And what's this "took stupid to take the morning after"? I was talking about the Texas legislation (wanting to cap abortions at six weeks! SIX! My mother kindly informed me you can hardly tell you're pregnant with that much time).

You don't always know when you're pregnant is what I take from that. Could be a week, could be more. I don't know why we should label women "stupid" for not knowing.

And things change. Some very young mothers who think they can take it early on, may think otherwise and start to suffer from depression and all that jazz.

Why call them stupid? One of my biggest issues with the anti-choice brigade is that women somehow LOVE getting abortions. That they just can't wait to have them and if it isn't outlawed, they'll get em for the hell of it.

Like dancing_doll first said, abortions don't leave those potential mothers. They leave scars on the mind and heart and that is punishment enough for them...
trinket
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 12:00:43 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/5/2012
Posts: 9,996
Location: Nowhere near you, Australia
MadMartigan wrote:


Agreed....

And what's this "took stupid to take the morning after"? I was talking about the Texas legislation (wanting to cap abortions at six weeks! SIX! My mother kindly informed me you can hardly tell you're pregnant with that much time).

You don't always know when you're pregnant is what I take from that. Could be a week, could be more. I don't know why we should label women "stupid" for not knowing.

And things change. Some very young mothers who think they can take it early on, may think otherwise and start to suffer from depression and all that jazz.

Why call them stupid? One of my biggest issues with the anti-choice brigade is that women somehow LOVE getting abortions. That they just can't wait to have them and if it isn't outlawed, they'll get em for the hell of it.

Like dancing_doll first said, abortions don't leave those potential mothers. They leave scars on the mind and heart and that is punishment enough for them...



The whole point of the morning after pill, is to take it the morning after you have unprotected sex to stop the possibility of a pregnancy. I didn't say women were stupid for not knowing whether they were pregnant or not.



Dani
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 12:02:43 PM

Rank: Penguin Wrangler

Joined: 12/25/2010
Posts: 4,053
Location: Under Your Bed, United States
trinket wrote:



The whole point of the morning after pill, is to take it the morning after you have unprotected sex to stop the possibility of a pregnancy. I didn't say women were stupid for not knowing whether they were pregnant or not.



Right. Just that they're too stupid to take pills to prevent pregnancy and deserve whatever hand they're dealt. We got that part.



We're tiny. We're toony. We're all a little looney. And in this cartoony, we're invading your TV.

Dancing_Doll
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 12:06:00 PM

Rank: Alpha Blonde

Joined: 2/17/2010
Posts: 5,980
Location: In your dirty fantasies
Many unwanted pregnancies are a result of birth control failure.

Looking at this chart, for example, check out the stats along the left hand side that details the number of women out of 100, who will get pregnant despite using birth control.

Are these women 'stupid' or just 'unlucky'?? And now we will shame them, because being unlucky means that you're just a statistical byproduct and as someone else rightly put it, now you get to be guilted into being a breeder for someone else or have to deal with the ramifications of potentially being a single mom on your own.

I don't get this whole "now it's time that you pay one way or another for your choice" - like birth control malfunction is a result of stupidity or being lazy. Many times a woman will have no clue that it's failed until it's too late, so morning-after is out the window too. Not everyone is just blissfully scheduling these procedures on the way home from the salon so that they can get ready for their next unprotected orgy like it's not a fucking big deal. Guess what - it's a big fucking deal! There are so many generalizations, so much guilt, so much desire to punish... Instead of empathy. I know - right - foreign concept - even for those unlucky ones that happened to fall on the wrong side of the statistics.










trinket
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 12:11:10 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/5/2012
Posts: 9,996
Location: Nowhere near you, Australia
slipperywhenwet2012 wrote:


Right. Just that they're too stupid to take pills to prevent pregnancy and deserve whatever hand they're dealt. We got that part.


I never said that at all and you know it. You have already quoted what I said earlier and given your opinion on it. Your interpretation above of what I said is incorrect.

trinket
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 12:16:46 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/5/2012
Posts: 9,996
Location: Nowhere near you, Australia
Dancing_Doll wrote:
Many unwanted pregnancies are a result of birth control failure.

Looking at this chart, for example, check out the stats along the left hand side that details the number of women out of 100, who will get pregnant despite using birth control.

Are these women 'stupid' or just 'unlucky'?? And now we will shame them, because being unlucky means that you're just a statistical byproduct and as someone else rightly put it, now you get to be guilted into being a breeder for someone else or have to deal with the ramifications of potentially being a single mom on your own.

I don't get this whole "now it's time that you pay one way or another for your choice" - like birth control malfunction is a result of stupidity or being lazy. Many times a woman will have no clue that it's failed until it's too late, so morning-after is out the window too. Not everyone is just blissfully scheduling these procedures on the way home from the salon so that they can get ready for their next unprotected orgy like it's not a fucking big deal. Guess what - it's a big fucking deal! There are so many generalizations, so much guilt, so much desire to punish... Instead of empathy. I know - right - foreign concept - even for those unlucky ones that happened to fall on the wrong side of the statistics.









I didn't give my opinion on birth control failure, nor did I say "now it's time that you pay one way or another for your choice", you are reading things into my words, that I did not say.


I didn't say anything about support for women with unwanted pregnancies, that wasn't the question, you are assuming you know what my thoughts are after these choices have been made. You don't.


Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.