Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Shark Week Options · View
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 3:31:51 PM

Yay! Tomorrow night kicks off one of my favourite times of the year - SHARK WEEK! clown

Admittedly, I am a bit of a shark geek. I love shark movies and the scary psychology of swimming in the ocean thanks to Jaws and the assortment of movies to follow.

Outside of the Jaws franchise, however, it seems like it's been difficult to produce a good shark-focused movie. I thought Open Water was fantastic and on par with Jaws as far as the scare-factor goes but the genre seems to drift more often toward the cheesy flicks.

Do you watch shark movies? What are your faves and the ones you hate?

And if you don't like the shark genre in films, do you enjoy the documentaries and Shark Week fare? Are you still scared to go swimming in the ocean? Do you think about it when you're surfing? Have you had any real-life encounters? Are you concerned about shark conservation and do you think the movie industry is to blame?

Discuss all things shark. :)

sprite
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 3:43:14 PM

i saw an ad for Sharknado the other day, and a mention that they are doing a sequel. it's not anything i'd watch, but you have to admit, the idea is interesting - a tornado of sharks. has anyone else seen it? is it worth watching for the cheese factor?

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/hardcore/west-coast-games-part-one-the-beach.aspx
Dani
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 3:47:29 PM

The marine biologist in me LOVES shark week. I live for the cheesiness. It's tradition for me and people from my department to watch and pick apart cheesy shark movies. It's one of my lamest indulgences...and I have quite a few lame indulgences. Embarassed

Baby put your arms around me, tell me I'm a problem...

Kitanica
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 3:50:45 PM

I used to enjoy watching it on discovery, but now it's always reruns of the same shows they've had for the last few years so I'm not missing anything.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 9:21:09 AM

sprite wrote:
i saw an ad for Sharknado the other day, and a mention that they are doing a sequel. it's not anything i'd watch, but you have to admit, the idea is interesting - a tornado of sharks. has anyone else seen it? is it worth watching for the cheese factor?

I haven't seen this but I keep seeing it advertised as well. I know a lot of people are fans of CGI but it just doesn't work for sharks, in my opinion. I really wish they would make legit movies in a similar vein to Jaws. It's always amazed me how that shark in the first Jaws looked pretty damn scary and it was 1975 and the sharks since then haven't really gotten better since. Interspersing it with footage of real sharks (and obviously the brilliant script) just brought the movie to life as well. Jaws 2 was still a good movie with a realistic fear-trigger when you saw the shark but after that it just became cheese and low-quality special effects as they tried to get the shark to do more, be badder, bigger, more toothy and more extreme.

I know the campy thing can be fun but I would love to see a shark movie with quality effects/storyline and filming and more subtlety. I think that's why Open Water succeeded. And I thought The Reef had some potential if it had some better writing with the script. It had the right kind of premise for a good shark movie but the latter half of the flick kind of fell flat for me.

Dancing_Doll
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 9:32:53 AM

Kitanica wrote:
I used to enjoy watching it on discovery, but now it's always reruns of the same shows they've had for the last few years so I'm not missing anything.

It's supposed to have 11 hrs of new footage but admittedly many of the shows can seem repetitive. I still really love the 'personal accounts of attacks' ones.

They also have something new called "Shark After Dark" with Josh Wolf which is supposed to be similar to the The Talking Dead post-show thing this year.

It's kind of a simple scare-factor. Big scary fish attacks and eats seals and occasionally a few people. But it's at least closer to being a legit terror for the average person than zombies, supernatural demons or axe-wielding villains. I can relate more to seeing a dark shape in the water or something brushing my leg when I'm swimming, paddling or (trying to) surf in the ocean and thinking omg - this *could* happen - even though the odds of an actual attack are infinitesimally small.

sprite
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 9:43:48 AM

i am proposing a new show: The Swimming Dead: ZOMBIE SHARKS! seriously, it'll be brilliant! or umm... Twilight Sharks! sharks that sparkle! *giggles*

that all said, the worlds biggest shark is the whale shark - about 40 feet long, but it eats plankton not people and is very gentle. most sharks don't eat people. card sharks eat cards, for example. leopard sharks eat leopards. tiger sharks eat tigers. we have a shark vacuum, tho i have yet to try to vacuum a shark.

on a serious note, more people are killed by bees than by sharks. how come we don't have Bee Week? drunken

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/hardcore/west-coast-games-part-one-the-beach.aspx
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 10:10:16 AM

sprite wrote:

on a serious note, more people are killed by bees than by sharks. how come we don't have Bee Week? drunken

Because bees are cute and fuzzy and make the honey we like to drizzle on our nipples 'n stuff.

But seriously - this could be pretty damn scary! "Bee-sharks: Terror in the Garden"

Or how about this?? This would be pretty fucking freaky if you went diving and saw this guy swimming toward you.

I do love the zombie shark idea though for real. :)

Buz
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 8:23:42 PM

Mako Shark is very tasty.

Dancing_Doll
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 2:38:13 PM

Last night's show on Megalodon had me hooked until I realized it was a fake mockumentary. Interesting concept - kind of like a 'found footage' thing with fake marine biologists, a tragedy of screaming victims, doctored unearthed photos from the Nazis of a ginormous shark and a fake scientific quest. This actually could have been an interesting shark movie if there had been character development and a little more glossing. Twitter was blowing up though - people are pissed about it. And you know a bunch of people watching it probably thought it was real because it was on Discovery.

Nikki703
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 3:44:48 PM

Dancing_Doll wrote:
Yay! Tomorrow night kicks off one of my favourite times of the year - SHARK WEEK! clown

Admittedly, I am a bit of a shark geek. I love shark movies and the scary psychology of swimming in the ocean thanks to Jaws and the assortment of movies to follow.

Outside of the Jaws franchise, however, it seems like it's been difficult to produce a good shark-focused movie. I thought Open Water was fantastic and on par with Jaws as far as the scare-factor goes but the genre seems to drift more often toward the cheesy flicks.

Do you watch shark movies? What are your faves and the ones you hate?

And if you don't like the shark genre in films, do you enjoy the documentaries and Shark Week fare? Are you still scared to go swimming in the ocean? Do you think about it when you're surfing? Have you had any real-life encounters? Are you concerned about shark conservation and do you think the movie industry is to blame?

Discuss all things shark. :)

OMG! Im not alone. I love sharks. And now NatGeo is doing SharkFest to compete. Awesome, more sharks.

Has anyone seen the TV ad for shark week with Snuffy the Seal. I love seals too but this is Great. Best commercial of the year!!

As for best shark movies, anything that has real shark footage, especially old stuff from Ron and Valerie Taylor is great.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 7:03:13 AM

Hmmm, I clicked on this thread...thinking you were going to explain the menstrual cycle to us men. Now I am majorly let down.

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Dani
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 10:01:01 AM

lafayettemister
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 10:28:48 AM

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Coco
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 10:44:08 AM

I freaking love shark week. Thanks for reminding me! I'm not a fan of the movies outside of the Jaws franchise, they all seem pretty lame.

Bees scare the shit out of me because I'm allergic and was in the hospital when I was younger...nearly died.

Sharks and snakes fascinate me.

Dancing_Doll
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 11:02:27 AM

That is the cutest video ever. I love how the dog comes in at the end like "ok - is the crazy over yet?" geek

Re Shark Week. I totally need to play that drinking game. Except I would drink for the seals too. Poor snuffy! crybaby

Actually that commercial would have been funnier if they'd been dangling a 'celeb you love to hate' over the edge of the dock like Kim K or LiLo. Maybe have her in a glam bikini and oversized shades, drinking an overpriced beach cocktail on a splashy yacht in the tropics and then deciding to go for a swim, gingering climbing down the ladder and then bam - in comes the CGI flying shark for a swift snack-slurp. Starlets that are able to make fun of themselves always gain fans back.

Tonight they have a new show called "I Escaped Jaws" at 9pm - am totally watching. These are the shark week shows I love most - shark attacks! Despite this, however, I am all about conservation when it comes to sharks. My feeling is that we're in their territory so we have to accept a certain amount of reasonable risk. You can't blame the shark.

Dancing_Doll
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 11:04:16 AM

Ok, I know it wasn't scary - but this was actually a pretty fun shark movie to watch.

PrincessC
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 11:36:20 AM

I live in South Africa near the coast where the lovely great whites are in abundance and to be honest I saw one during a paddle ski one day and nearly had a heart attack. Scare factor aside they are totally enthralling creatures and I love shark week because people fear them when in actuality they tend to only eat people who they mistake for seals or other prey and are less dangerous than mosquitoes.

“If a man can possess a woman sexually -really possess- he won't need to control her ideas, her opinions, her clothes, her friends, even her other lovers.”
― Toni Bentley
Nikki703
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 2:08:45 PM

Dancing_Doll wrote:
That is the cutest video ever. I love how the dog comes in at the end like "ok - is the crazy over yet?" geek

Re Shark Week. I totally need to play that drinking game. Except I would drink for the seals too. Poor snuffy! crybaby

Actually that commercial would have been funnier if they'd been dangling a 'celeb you love to hate' over the edge of the dock like Kim K or LiLo. Maybe have her in a glam bikini and oversized shades, drinking an overpriced beach cocktail on a splashy yacht in the tropics and then deciding to go for a swim, gingering climbing down the ladder and then bam - in comes the CGI flying shark for a swift snack-slurp. Starlets that are able to make fun of themselves always gain fans back.

Tonight they have a new show called "I Escaped Jaws" at 9pm - am totally watching. These are the shark week shows I love most - shark attacks! Despite this, however, I am all about conservation when it comes to sharks. My feeling is that we're in their territory so we have to accept a certain amount of reasonable risk. You can't blame the shark.

Not a bad idea! Well I still like LiLo and do you actually think a shark would waste its time eating something as skanky as Kim K? EWWW, LOL puke
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 2:23:20 PM

Nikki703 wrote:

Not a bad idea! Well I still like LiLo and do you actually think a shark would waste its time eating something as skanky as Kim K? EWWW, LOL puke

Haha - I just googled 'Kim Kardashian' and "shark" and now see that somebody already beat me to it. evil4

In reality, I actually don't mind KimK or LiLo. They're both still kinda entertaining for different reasons.

Nikki703
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 3:35:03 PM

Dancing_Doll wrote:

Haha - I just googled 'Kim Kardashian' and "shark" and now see that somebody already beat me to it. evil4

In reality, I actually don't mind KimK or LiLo. They're both still kinda entertaining for different reasons.

OMG! I can watch that over and over and ...................over!! Cant tell if its Kim or Snooki! HAHA

I like LiLo a lot actually. Kim was entertaining when she was Paris Hilton's BFF years ago before she started to take herself serious. But now I just cant take Kim and her mom. The others don't bother me as much. I really feel bad for the 2 young girls and Kris is just gonna pimp them out to the highest bidder and they will end up being messed up attention whores just like Kim.

However, they do make good shark bait! LOL
CurlyGirly
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 3:57:58 PM

Whenever I hear/see the Shark Week commercials, my first thought is "Damn! Summer's over!"

Do definitely enjoy watching it, tho! fish

It won a potato. Aren't you intrigued?

Dancing_Doll
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 4:03:51 PM

Nikki703 wrote:

OMG! I can watch that over and over and ...................over!! Cant tell if its Kim or Snooki! HAHA

I like LiLo a lot actually. Kim was entertaining when she was Paris Hilton's BFF years ago before she started to take herself serious. But now I just cant take Kim and her mom. The others don't bother me as much. I really feel bad for the 2 young girls and Kris is just gonna pimp them out to the highest bidder and they will end up being messed up attention whores just like Kim.

However, they do make good shark bait! LOL

It's definitely Kim. I remember watching that episode (how's that for an embarrassing confession! lol). It was her ex-hubby Kris Humphries dumping her in the water when they all went on holidays. Of course she was pissed. She lost her ten bazillion dollar diamond earring in the water. She probably would have been more pissed if our toothy shark friend, Mr Big had actually been waiting to catch her. :p

Nikki703
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 4:37:36 PM

Dancing_Doll wrote:

It's definitely Kim. I remember watching that episode (how's that for an embarrassing confession! lol). It was her ex-hubby Kris Humphries dumping her in the water when they all went on holidays. Of course she was pissed. She lost her ten bazillion dollar diamond earring in the water. She probably would have been more pissed if our toothy shark friend, Mr Big had actually been waiting to catch her. :p

Don't worry, it'll be our little secret...................Oops! HAHA

Ah yes, her contracted Hubby Kris Humphries!! Poor Kim. LOL!!

BTW, Sorry Snooki, forgive me for insulting you comparing you to Kim K!! HAHA
Kitanica
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 6:39:26 PM

Dancing_Doll wrote:

Because bees are cute and fuzzy and make the honey we like to drizzle on our nipples 'n stuff.

But seriously - this could be pretty damn scary! "Bee-sharks: Terror in the Garden"

Or how about this?? This would be pretty fucking freaky if you went diving and saw this guy swimming toward you.

I do love the zombie shark idea though for real. :)

bees don't think things through though.

Also it's not zombies but I've read lore saying the elder scrolls universe has weresharks. Not sure if it's true or not.
I don't even remember how long it's been since I've gone in the water at a beach. At least 5-6 years. 10 if I want to ballpark it so I'm not worried about sharks lol.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 8:07:10 AM

I thought last night's attack episode was pretty explicit by Discovery channel standards. I don't remember them showing so much blood and spaghetti-muscle in the past.

I've always thought the case of that one surfer who was attacked by two great whites randomly honing in on him at exactly the same time was pretty crazy. I mean what are the odds, right? And then he's involved in a third great white attack a few months later? I would have started feeling like I was in a Final Destination moment!

Dani
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 8:13:07 AM

Dancing_Doll wrote:
I thought last night's attack episode was pretty explicit by Discovery channel standards. I don't remember them showing so much blood and spaghetti-muscle in the past.

I've always thought the case of that one surfer who was attacked by two great whites randomly honing in on him at exactly the same time was pretty crazy. I mean what are the odds, right? And then he's involved in a third great white attack a few months later? I would have started feeling like I was in a Final Destination moment!

Dude I saw that. It was pretty fucking intense. I know it's important to conquer your fears, but fuck swimming in open water after attacks like that. Even if the odds of an attack are slim with the odds of a second attack even slimmer, I just wouldn't.

Dancing_Doll
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 8:57:41 AM

slipperywhenwet2012 wrote:

Dude I saw that. It was pretty fucking intense. I know it's important to conquer your fears, but fuck swimming in open water after attacks like that. Even if the odds of an attack are slim with the odds of a second attack even slimmer, I just wouldn't.

Here's the same story on a clip from another show. They did a digital re-enactment so you can get a feel for what happened when he was underwater. So freaky. I would definitely not be going back into the ocean after three great white encounters like that - you just know something is 'off' with your fate. lol. On the plus side - cute surfer dudes with South African accents (my weakness) totally distracts me from the shark stuff. Embarassed

sprite
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 9:05:56 AM

Dani
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 9:10:52 AM

sprite wrote:

I'm a marine biologist and I approve this message.

Not really.