Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Schoolgirl dead after online bullying Options · View
nicola
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 8:03:03 PM

Should sites like Ask.fm be shut down?

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/world/18377189/schoolgirl-dead-after-online-bullying/

Quote:
Ask.fm, which launched in 2010, has been heavily criticised by anti-bullying charities because it allows users to post anonymous comments or questions - often of a sexual or insulting nature - on the pages of children as young as 13.

Unless they allow it to go on knowingly, I would argue not. Cyber-bullying can happen on any site.

There was a case on Facebook very recently too, that lead to the same result.

Nobody can really blame Facebook for what happened there.

What can be done to prevent this ever happening again? It's human nature (for some), to pick on the weak and vulnerable.
Dani
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 8:41:43 PM

I hate to blame parents, but they need to monitor their kids' internet activity. And really monitor it. Some kids are just assholes, and parents will rarely accept or own up to it. And it sucks. But there's a reason they're that way and it almost always links back to the parents. And also, why does a child feel the need to seek attention/approval via the internet?

We're tiny. We're toony. We're all a little looney. And in this cartoony, we're invading your TV.

Buz
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 8:51:20 PM

I think absent parenting is the main problem.

I have written a new poem. It is called 'Long Twisty Woman.'
You can read it at: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/long-twisty-woman.aspxx
Also, if you wish, check out my co-authored a story with the wonderful DanielleX. It is called 'Focus on Sex.'
You can read it at: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/quickie-sex/focused-on-sex-1.aspx

Kage
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 9:02:39 PM

I have to agree with all the comments so far. It's definitely the parents responsibility to monitor what sites their kids are allowed to visit. Parents need to be involved in their kids lives so that they can pick up on problems with bullying whether its through the internet or wherever.
Magical_felix
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 9:09:34 PM

Quote:
Hannah's father Dave Smith wrote on Facebook: "On Friday morning my daughter was found hanged last night i seen her ask fm account and someone had been telling her to die. The person that created this web site should be done for mansluaghter (sic) any parents that have children please dont (sic) let them go on this site. My heart is broken in 2 and is gonna take along time to repair i just hope that none of you have to go through the pain im goin through rite now and love u all. Wats left after hannah took here own life."

Just from reading the parent's comments, I assume they are of below average intelligence. They are giving a quote about their daughter's death and look at that shit... It is like 5th grade english.

There is no way a girl was healthy of mind and body before going on ask.fm and the site then turned her to suicide. NO WAY. This reeks of parents in denial about what was really going on with their girl and looking to blame somebody. I sure hope they don't try to sue for money at one point. That would be really disgusting. Especially if they have other children. I actually think that they are in danger of hurting themselves too and something else will be to blame. Bullies at school, a drug dealer, a boyfriend/girlfriend etc.

It is human nature to pick on the weak, agreed. It is also human nature to fight back, to defend, to pick on the bullies as well. That is what should be instilled in children. To do something about it themselves. Because most of the time, no one else will.

1ball
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 10:37:07 PM

I don't think they should be shut down or charged with any crimes. This is on the parents.

My latest story is too hot to publish. My most recent story before that is Even Stranger In Lust
Ruthie
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 10:43:53 PM

nicola wrote:
Should sites like Ask.fm be shut down?

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/world/18377189/schoolgirl-dead-after-online-bullying/

Unless they allow it to go on knowingly, I would argue not. Cyber-bullying can happen on any site.

There was a case on Facebook very recently too, that lead to the same result.

Nobody can really blame Facebook for what happened there.

What can be done to prevent this ever happening again? It's human nature (for some), to pick on the weak and vulnerable.

There will be people who will use this as an excuse to limit freedom of expression. There is nothing some people would like better than an excuse to crack down on what they see as too much freedom on the internet. Like the comic book thing in the fifties, and the movies when they formed the Hayes office, they will say that they are protecting our youth.

Bullying needs to be addressed, but we need to do it without giving up more of our rights and freedoms.

Magical_felix wrote:

Just from reading the parent's comments, I assume they are of below average intelligence. They are giving a quote about their daughter's death and look at that shit... It is like 5th grade english.

I sure hope they don't try to sue for money at one point.

Half the population is of below average intelligence. Education isn't valued as highly as it should be, and this seems more like a case of ignorance than low IQ. People don't really want to know how to use English properly. If they did, they'd learn.

I'm pretty sure that they will try to sue. Litigation lawyers are like buzzards. Their yard is probably full of them already.

I also doubt that a mentally healthy thirteen year old would go online and succumb to bullying to the point of killing herself. There had to be some other problem there. On the other hand, it's hard being a thirteen year old. Everything seems so intense, and it's hard to look ahead to a time when things will be better. What seems like nothing of importance to an adult can seem of utmost importance to a teenager.

EmeraldRarity
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 12:21:35 AM

Parenting...Thats it
My brother has been facing bullying and the bullies parents do jack shit bs
nicola
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 5:37:15 PM

Magical_felix wrote:

There is no way a girl was healthy of mind and body before going on ask.fm and the site then turned her to suicide. NO WAY. This reeks of parents in denial about what was really going on with their girl and looking to blame somebody. I sure hope they don't try to sue for money at one point. That would be really disgusting. Especially if they have other children. I actually think that they are in danger of hurting themselves too and something else will be to blame. Bullies at school, a drug dealer, a boyfriend/girlfriend etc.

It is human nature to pick on the weak, agreed. It is also human nature to fight back, to defend, to pick on the bullies as well. That is what should be instilled in children. To do something about it themselves. Because most of the time, no one else will.

Blow me down, I'm in complete agreement!

As soon as I read the father's comments, I knew what we were dealing with.

There was an (mildly) interesting article on trolling in the Guardian on the weekend, worth a skim.
MadMartigan
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 6:07:07 PM

slipperywhenwet2012 wrote:
And also, why does a child feel the need to seek attention/approval via the internet?

Also back to parenting. If they aren't getting attention, approval, or love within their nuclear family or otherwise, they'll try to find it somewhere else.

Unfortunately, that can from online folks. And forging early relationships online isn't healthy in my opinion. Not as a kid.

So I think it is a by-product of bad parenting and an excessive life online. Kids are ridiculously attached to their phones and shit like that these days.
BabydollSlave
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 8:20:33 PM

i do not blame the site, eventhough from what i have read there has been 3 deaths associated with bullies on this site.
I work with kids through school and teach them to open up to family or friends or teachers about bullies. Hell i tell them shut the dang thing off, delete your account. Life isnt permanent online and your real life wont end if you dont get on mobile devise or certain website every day!
but i agree parents need to know whats going on better....my nieces wont talk to their parents but im closer in age so they do to me. so i encourage talk to them, even if they arent your kids...all kids need outlits...i just wish they didnt rely on the net so much for it :(

my newest :)
countrygirl58
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 8:46:00 PM

This topic is a very touchy one. Picking on someone or bullying someone no difference to me. I am 59 years old and when I was in school we had the same crap. I got picked on when I was young about being over weight but I just learned to ignore the jerks.
ByronLord
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:00:01 PM

I have seen reports on quite a few of these bullying cases in the line of work. Every one had something else going on.

Depression is really dangerous.

Its like the idiots trying to blame mass shootings on video games rather than the guns.

Tranquil
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 2:13:33 PM

i believe it is their world to navigate around and learn how to survive. Where we only had the school playgrounds and the workplace, Our Children have the cyber connections/cellphones etc.

My teenager uses it.

However i always have her login and password, and I monitor it. Yes she gets upset with me for doing this however i only have to remind her of the bullying she has received on it already a year ago and she realises I love her enough to do this. We have a great relationship and i hope i can continue to be there for her no matter what.

But is this not what all parents try to do? we are here to help our children learn to survive in this culture we have developed for them.

Absent Parenting is a huge factor. for both in the person being bullied and also the people doing the bullying.

[i]Poem : The Cyber Touch http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/the-cyber-touch.aspx
Poem : The Last Moments http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/the-last-moments.aspx
Story : One day only http://www.lushstories.com/stories/oral-sex/one-day-only.aspx
Poem: My Toy http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/my-toy.aspx#comments/i]

Sex is an emotion in motion (Mae West).
An Ounce of performance is worth pounds of promises (Mae West)
I wrote the story myself. It's about a girl who lost her reputation and never missed it. (Mae West)