Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

I have a dream... Options · View
VanGogh
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 12:29:37 AM

Rank: Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado

Joined: 2/10/2012
Posts: 3,039
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Yes .... Peace would be nice.

A Milf series combined with Office Sex *fans face* .... The Secretary and The Student
starting with The Secretary and The Student - first part

Enjoy!!

For the Anal Lovers .... come enjoy my RR honoured An Alluring Ass

Another Sex in the Office Poem (I know you love those!!) In Your Office

Nikki703
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 7:40:14 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/7/2009
Posts: 12,671
Location: The Other Side Of The Mirror
Kristind wrote:


AND THE ANSWER IS...BINGO! YOU ARE CORRECT. JOHNNY...TELL THE PRETTY LADY WHAT SHE HAS WON!
But why wouldn't they raise their prices. Why be the only baseball park to offer reasonable prices on tix, beer or hot dogs when their peers are charging so much more. I know its not as easy as that but you get my point I hope.

Sad isn't it? It's also sad that I have never been to Fenway Park...lol.


There are many things in this thread that are sad! But I do understand the point you are trying to make. I just think you picked a really bad example with baseball. Ticket prices were getting outrageous before they started building these palaces to play in. With the start of Free Agents and te Mega salaries, owners "needed" a way to recoup the money. And comparing baseball to ag workers is not a fair comparison. Baseball owners can bitch and moan all they want about high salaries causing them to raise prices and we as fans make the choice to pay them. If salaries are raised for ag workers, that will lead to increased produce prices. Going to a baseball game is a luxury. We can survive without it. Fruits and vegetables are a necessity.

I am not saying its right. I am saying things don't always work the way we would like them to. We do not live in a vacuum.
LadyX
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 8:17:47 AM

Rank: Artistic Tart

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,827
A truly free market would be a societal disaster, and that's our collective fault. It's also our fault that the problem of undocumented workers isn't as simple to solve as enforcing laws on the books. While we're on a roll here, it's our fault that we have exorbitant prices for the things we love doing and seeing. We're willing all of these things into perpetuity.

My wish is that we wouldn't do so. And no, stopping the self-inflicted damage would not 'fix' our economy, but it would be a good start.
1ball
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 9:01:00 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/13/2011
Posts: 970
Location: United States
Kristind wrote:
As far as the rest of your argument, the evidence is there and it's strong...paying a living wage...taking care of the middle class and keeping the middle class strong is the ONLY way this country can survive with abounding strength under capitalism.


Requiring employers to pay more than their market worth is not capitalism. It's protectionism. It is the government's responsibility to contain the greed of labor so that it does not drive jobs offshore. You are aware that many of those who invest in the US are not US citizens aren't you? They have no moral or legal obligation to promote the survival of this country. Neither do US citizens when this country fails to live up to its obligations to its people. Those obligations include protecting investors from legalized abuse by greedy workers.


Quote:
The proof can be found in the 50's through the 80's when unions were strong and the middle class thrived.



You mean after we bombed Germany and Japan back to the stone age? When they recovered, the story changed. Our consumers wanted their cars because our cars were too expensive and too unreliable because they were built by entitlement-minded union labor. Consumers caused the Big Labor bubble to burst. The UMW, USW and UAW were protected for so long that they couldn't compete in a global economy.



My latest story is too hot to publish. My most recent story before that is Even Stranger In Lust
1ball
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 9:24:21 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/13/2011
Posts: 970
Location: United States
Kristind wrote:


BULLSHIT! BULLSHIT! BULLSHIT! What brought this country to its knees was the taking away of Government Regulations. The government's lack of enabling productivity? Really? How about greedy Banks, Bankers and financial institutions stealing billions of dollars of tax payer money, with the assistance of one Henry Paulson and the Bush administration, and then instead of creating the loans with the billions they stole...they sit on it! They are even arrogant enough to tell the govt to kiss ass when asked what they did with money. This by itself created such uncertainty in the markets that no bank was willing to loan a cent to small business, the real backbone of the economy. With small business suffering, and the banks not lending...the consumer cannot spend. The result is now historical.

The govt failing to enable productivity? You've got it wrong. It was top rate, high class robbery by the financial institutions. My bitch with the govt is they are doing NOTHING to demand answers and accountability.

Furthermore...to invest here...in the U.S.A. is still a good investment. The wealthiest country, the strongest country....the leader of the world with MANY, MANY, MANY wealthy people who have created their wealth...right here. Thats why investing in the long term right here is the best bet. Besides...they stole their money from here and are so arrogant to want to see their thievery through. They don't want to go anywhere else. And a change in top down control will create adverse change...unless the shift is given to small business and the middle class...who has had all the clout all along. I submit to you the WalMart dilemma. WalMart, a major power going down for the count? Why? Cuz their competition is paying a livable wage and providing benefits to it's employee's and offering a better product. As opposed to selling crap, treating their employee's like crap and getting govt subsidies while creating govt dependant employees cuz working a 40 hour hour week still won't pay the bills and put food on the table.

We are finding that out as more and more states adopt "right to work" laws and we find that each and every one of those states have lost the bulk of the middle class and are the poorest states in the union and...by the way...are all red states. GO FIGURE!

Another point you are ignoring as far as the govt not enabling productivity...let me remind you of a Presidential race where the entire discussion was focused on JOBS, JOBS, JOBS! Since then Congress has proposed no less than 634 pieces of legislation on a womans reproductive rights and NOT ONE JOBS BILL. By the way...those 634 pieces of legislation is all iin the year 2013. Thats right....so far in this calendar year. So as for the argument about the govt role to enable productivity...the Republicans have to come up with an actual jobs PLAN, when they have none. And it would also be good for the Republicans to pass Obama's job bill which they did not even allow to go to debate in the HOUSE. Another good move would be for the Democrats to get off their asses and start calling a spade a spade...which Obama has begun to do.

Did he really ask that question and make that bullshit statement?????

So, I stand by my dream of a strong middle class...because its my dream.

Now, lets get back to the subject of this thread.


No amount of magical thinking changes the truth. Jobs and capital and the middle class fled from union-shop states when global competition and competition from other states revealed how unsustainable they had become. Jobs and capital fled from the US because US labor is making the mistake of believing it can bleed investors without hurting itself. Blaming the loss of the middle class on anything other than ignorance of the voters and government failure to make investment in the society attractive is naive. Calling investors arrogant because they're unwilling to risk their capital in your utopian fantasies is futile. They will not change their minds because you think they should. They will change their minds when you make it safer for them to invest here. Claiming it is safe to invest here is futile. They don't listen to whiney socialist bullshit.

You say you have a dream of a strong middle class, but a strong middle class requires that you abandon your belief in might makes right. Protecting the sovereignity of the individual from the greed of the majority is what produces a strong middle class. Concentrating power under the central government is the experiment that always fails.

So yes, let's get back to the subject of this thread. My dream is for a world where live and let live replaces might makes right as the dominant morality.

My latest story is too hot to publish. My most recent story before that is Even Stranger In Lust
1ball
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 11:50:51 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/13/2011
Posts: 970
Location: United States
LadyX wrote:
A truly free market would be a societal disaster,


Why?

My latest story is too hot to publish. My most recent story before that is Even Stranger In Lust
Rembacher
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 11:52:12 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/16/2008
Posts: 1,106
Kristind wrote:


I hear what you're saying Nikki but the truth is $10.00 lettuce is a myth and if it did come to that it would not be the result of paying people a livable wage. It would be the result of "speculators" on wall street jacking the price up just as they do with gasoline all the time. Gasoline does not have to be nearly what it is. "Speculators" jack the prices with the main thing in mind to pad a better bottom line for their boss. It happens daily. The government should get involved but many politicians would cry "WE HAVE A NEW WAR ON CAPITALISM."
Another fact, for example, is the pennies in difference between a Big Mac in the states and a Big Mac downunder. Australia's minimum wage is $15.96. TWICE that of America yet the difference between burgers is a mere eleven cents. Where do you think the difference in wages is going to? If you didn't say "the owners pockets" you'd be mistaken.

Nikki, in a college business class we studied, as an example, when Major League Baseball players formed their union. EVERY SINGLE Major League Baseball Club owner cried and wailed about how this was going to be the end of baseball. True? Nothing has ever been more false. Baseball owners continued making massive amounts of money...and so did everybody else...the players the restaurants, the parking...all the support.

And before anybody jumps on the bandwagon of overpriced tickets let me get my bucket of cold water ready for your baptism...lol. Over priced tickets did not come into the scenario until the owners started building extravagant baseball parks...over and above anything required. After that...let me introduce you you to $9.00 bottles of beer and $10.00 garlic fries.

The process America uses to build society is fixed and that needs to change, for sure.


Ok, this is a huge risk of a thread jack, (if one hasn't been done already) but leaving aside the merits of the Big Mac Index (Price isn't even the same in Ontario, much less Canada, so how is it a useful gauge of spending power?) how about comparing to a closer neighbour? What I would pay for a Bic Mac in Windsor, Ontario is noticeably higher than what I would pay in Detroit. And that's in part because of Ontario's minimum wage of $10.25 an hour.

As for the MLB comparison, there are a few flaws with using that example. For one, prices of tickets rose substantially before that too, but mostly, inflation skyrocketed in the 80s. Everything costs more now than it did before the MLB players formed a union. As for this magical era when owners started building extravagant ballparks, MLB teams have built new ballparks in every decade since the 60s. All were modernized, to cater to what fans expected, but varied in size and design depending on what the market could support. So which group of parks caused the spike in prices you referred too?

Another reason using ticket prices for this argument is bad, is that the two wage increasing moments in the MLB; the formation of the Union, and Curt Flood winning free agency; happened while TV contracts were still growing, that new revenue stream reduced the need to hike prices to cover costs. In the ag industry, there is no secondary market like that. People consume your produce one way or another. You can't offset rising costs by showing it on tv or the internet.

It's one of the basic laws of business: If your costs go up, your prices have to go up to maintain your profit margins. And since food is a basic necessity, raising the price on it will raise the prices on everything else.

I'm not sure where our North American society went wrong. But we now seem to be in an era where everyone thinks they deserve a 3 bedroom house with a 2 car garage. And very few people want to do the dirty work anymore. Even in our schools, there's this idea that everyone "has to go to college." But there are many necessary jobs which don't require a college education. Forcing everyone to go to college leaves us with too few people willing to do the menial labour jobs because they feel they are overqualified for those jobs. So we bring in foreign workers to do those jobs, or we outsource them if that's possible. Factory line workers can't be paid as much as office staff who needed 4 years of college to prepare for their jobs. Not everyone can have the big home, and the nice cars. That's just a fact of life. My dream is that our society learns that, and we learn to be happy without the big screen tv, and all the newest toys.
Magical_felix
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 12:12:38 PM

Rank: Wild at Heart

Joined: 4/3/2010
Posts: 4,909
Location: California
Kristind wrote:


Felix speaks TRUTH! A male that understands himself well. What a turn on. Another one of my dreams. Males getting in touch with themselves instead of just touching themselves. Felix is my hero....for the moment.


I must warn you young lady... I'm susceptible to flattery.



Jack_42
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 12:21:30 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/21/2009
Posts: 986
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Good grief I though the dream in question was about equal rights (even though it got the dreamer killed for his ideas or have I got the wrong King here?) but this seems to be a debate about consumerism which I suppose does answer the other part of the thread - that is how things have changed. So I suppose the change is that we don't seems interested in some fundamental right so much as in acquisition.
LadyX
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 12:25:09 PM

Rank: Artistic Tart

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,827
Jack_42 wrote:
Good grief I though the dream in question was about equal rights (even though it got the dreamer killed for his ideas or have I got the wrong King here?) but this seems to be a debate about consumerism which I suppose does answer the other part of the thread - that is how things have changed. So I suppose the change is that we don't seems interested in some fundamental right so much as in acquisition.


Haven't you heard? The dream came true! No more racism, we're all the same now, and part of...wait for it..."the human race".

Awwww....*pauses for group hug*
Guest
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 12:25:31 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 535,127
1ball wrote:
So yes, let's get back to the subject of this thread. My dream is for a world where live and let live replaces might makes right as the dominant morality.


Save your magical thinking and all your isms for another discussion. And the truth that you speak is the truth in your mind. Doesn't mean your truth is the Almighty truth. This was supposed to be an "I have a dream" thread...And yes, I apologize for participating in the jacking of this persons thread. Totally unintentional. Get outta my dream.
Magical_felix
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 12:27:58 PM

Rank: Wild at Heart

Joined: 4/3/2010
Posts: 4,909
Location: California
Ruthie wrote:


You misread me catman. How many times do I have to tell you that? I have no obligation to work for anyone. Do you think I do? Just because someone want's their oranges picked doesn't mean that I have to go pick them.



And you are confused as to why the government has no interest in doing away with undocumented workers after making a comment like that? LOL

Ruthie wrote:


There are people who want to do away with the minimum wage. Do you deny that? Corporations would like to be unregulated and free to pay workers sub living wages.


So what... There is a minimum wage so it doesn't matter. It's an irrelevant statement.

Ruthie wrote:


Because a person takes a risk to start a business doesn't obligate anyone to work for them. Do you think it does?




Who said it did? Some people start businesses that offer jobs that Americans are too weak, too lazy, too arrogant to do. So we have an undocumented worker "problem".

Ruthie wrote:



American agriculture isn't small farms and red barns anymore, it's big business. It's run by corporations, who use congress to give them subsidies so that they can make fortunes. There isn't a little farm wife throwing cracked corn to her chickens in the yard, there are huge chicken growing operations tied to processing plants tied to feed mills. The owners of those corporations get money from the government not to grow things.




I assure you I know what agriculture is like. I don't need regurgitated from the media cliff's notes on a small portion of the industry.

Ruthie wrote:



I'm glad you've had such a wonderful life under capitalism. Capitalism is pretty rough on some people though. I don't suppose you care about any of them. Why should you. You're doing all right. The time will never come when you have to decide between living in the dark and feeding your children. Unless those gypsy curses work, of course. Then you're up shit creek.



Thank you. It wasn't easy though. I started with a shitty job. It was hard. I grew a brain and I wasn't lazy.

You sound like capitalism has kicked your ass. You then go on to say, since I'm doing alright I don't care about people that have less. People that have had the same opportunity as me. Look at how much distain you show, even talking about gypsy curses for people that have made it. You show that much disdain yet you go on to say that they should feel sorry for you? I'm sorry, but no. Why would I feel sorry for someone that has such contempt for me?



Guest
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 12:30:34 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 535,127
Rembacher wrote:


Another reason using ticket prices for this argument is bad, is that the two wage increasing moments in the MLB; the formation of the Union, and Curt Flood winning free agency; happened while TV contracts were still growing, that new revenue stream reduced the need to hike prices to cover costs. In the ag industry, there is no secondary market like that. People consume your produce one way or another. You can't offset rising costs by showing it on tv or the internet.


Yes you are correct. Lets save it for another argument. This my dream.
Guest
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 12:33:40 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 535,127
Nikki703 wrote:


There are many things in this thread that are sad! But I do understand the point you are trying to make.


Gawd, this whole dream turned into a flippin' nightmare...lol.
Magical_felix
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 12:34:00 PM

Rank: Wild at Heart

Joined: 4/3/2010
Posts: 4,909
Location: California
Magical_felix wrote:
IF the government really did get rid of illegal employment in ag, you know what would happen? Fruits, vegetables and all the products that they go into would become more expensive, a lot more expensive because the ag employers would not be able to find people to work the fields and orchards and would have to abandon them.



Ruthie wrote:
If the government finally gets rid of all those laws about robbing banks, we'll be able to make a pretty good living. Damn those laws that keep us from making money.


Your misguided metaphorical response to me makes me think your reading comprehension skills failed you. Read more closely.



Guest
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 12:36:43 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 535,127
Rembacher wrote:
I'm not sure where our North American society went wrong. But we now seem to be in an era where everyone thinks they deserve a 3 bedroom house with a 2 car garage. And very few people want to do the dirty work anymore. Even in our schools, there's this idea that everyone "has to go to college." But there are many necessary jobs which don't require a college education. Forcing everyone to go to college leaves us with too few people willing to do the menial labour jobs because they feel they are overqualified for those jobs. So we bring in foreign workers to do those jobs, or we outsource them if that's possible. Factory line workers can't be paid as much as office staff who needed 4 years of college to prepare for their jobs. Not everyone can have the big home, and the nice cars. That's just a fact of life. My dream is that our society learns that, and we learn to be happy without the big screen tv, and all the newest toys.


Very true...but can't I dream?
Guest
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 1:49:02 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 535,127
LadyX wrote:


Haven't you heard? The dream came true! No more racism, we're all the same now, and part of...wait for it..."the human race".

Awwww....*pauses for group hug*


Drapes my around Lady X for her group hug and Kumbuya moment.
1ball
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 2:27:38 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/13/2011
Posts: 970
Location: United States
Jack_42 wrote:
Good grief I though the dream in question was about equal rights (even though it got the dreamer killed for his ideas or have I got the wrong King here?) but this seems to be a debate about consumerism which I suppose does answer the other part of the thread - that is how things have changed. So I suppose the change is that we don't seems interested in some fundamental right so much as in acquisition.


That's just it. Some confused equality of opportunity with equality of outcome. Thus a presumed right to an equal standard of living regardless of differences in earning ability.

My latest story is too hot to publish. My most recent story before that is Even Stranger In Lust
Ruthie
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 2:56:45 PM

Rank: Story Verifier

Joined: 10/21/2010
Posts: 2,374
Location: United States
Magical_felix wrote:


Thank you. It wasn't easy though. I started with a shitty job. It was hard. I grew a brain and I wasn't lazy.

You sound like capitalism has kicked your ass. You then go on to say, since I'm doing alright I don't care about people that have less. People that have had the same opportunity as me. Look at how much distain you show, even talking about gypsy curses for people that have made it. You show that much disdain yet you go on to say that they should feel sorry for you? I'm sorry, but no. Why would I feel sorry for someone that has such contempt for me?


Actually, I've done pretty well under capitalism. It's other people I'm concerned about. Those of us with empathy can be concerned for others. Sociopaths can't, of course. I don't expect empathy from you. Where did I say you should feel sorry for me?

Learn to read, catboy. Don't just make things up.
Jack_42
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 3:25:20 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/21/2009
Posts: 986
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
1ball wrote:


That's just it. Some confused equality of opportunity with equality of outcome. Thus a presumed right to an equal standard of living regardless of differences in earning ability.


There's no equality of opportunity for all - you can be a dumb prat like most of the Royal Family of the UK and have no financial worries and you can assume the right as you've inherited the privilege and I'm sure that applies to the US equivalent.
Guest
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 5:53:55 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 535,127
I have a dream...that the U.S. won't bomb Syria and start another war.
I have a dream...that all people get equal treatment under the law.
I have a dream...that the U.S. will take God out of legislation and the train that drives legislation.
I have a dream...that in this thread posters can have dreams.
Magical_felix
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 6:06:52 PM

Rank: Wild at Heart

Joined: 4/3/2010
Posts: 4,909
Location: California
Ruthie wrote:


Actually, I've done pretty well under capitalism. It's other people I'm concerned about. Those of us with empathy can be concerned for others. Sociopaths can't, of course. I don't expect empathy from you. Where did I say you should feel sorry for me?



Boo hoo! And what are you doing about it, besides being empathetic? You creating high paying jobs for unskilled labor? I highly doubt it. You don't sound like a self made person at all. Maybe your husband or your parents, but you? Everything you have said points to the contrary. You sound quite bitter.

Ruthie wrote:


Learn to read, catboy. Don't just make things up.


I have read what you have said just fine. I think anyone with a brain can see what you have said. Learn to not backpedal on what you say and have some conviction. That, or learn how to communicate what you actually feel with the written word. It's a writing site.

You speaking of empathy is laughable at best. All this going on about undocumented workers... So you prefer to starve their families because you feel empathetic for the lazy americans that won't do the same job for the pay they deserve for doing the job.

Hopefully you answer coherently and honestly this time. Or you can call me catboy again, it's indicative of your brain power.



Ruthie
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 6:54:44 PM

Rank: Story Verifier

Joined: 10/21/2010
Posts: 2,374
Location: United States
Magical_felix wrote:


I have read what you have said just fine. I think anyone with a brain can see what you have said. Learn to not backpedal on what you say and have some conviction. That, or learn how to communicate what you actually feel with the written word. It's a writing site.

You speaking of empathy is laughable at best. All this going on about undocumented workers... So you prefer to starve their families because you feel empathetic for the lazy americans that won't do the same job for the pay they deserve for doing the job.

Hopefully you answer coherently and honestly this time. Or you can call me catboy again, it's indicative of your brain power.


Don't make this about me, Jack. It's obviously about you. Once again you have twisted my words to fit your own idea of what you think I said. Nowhere did I say a word about undocumented workers. My post was about labor in general, not certain workers. This is what I said:

Her Royal Majesty Empress of the Moon, Ruthie wrote:


Why should one person work for less than a living wage so that another person can live in luxury? Those of you who believe it's alright for people to hire people at less than minimum wage should go to work for those people. My labor is as important to me as any other person's capital. I want a fair trade for it. Why should I be willing to work for almost nothing? If a person can't afford to pay a living wage, they should get out of business and get one of those sub-minimum wage jobs that they are so happy to give other people. Labor owes nothing to capital. It's not the job of labor to keep capitalists in silk shirts and swimming pools.

There are plenty of people who would use slave labor if they could. Cotton mill owners used to work children twelve hours a day to spin the cotton that plantation owners in the American south produced using slave labor. The share cropper system that took over after the civil war was just as bad. People worked all year long and ended up owing money to the land owner. Corporations would love to have labor laws revoked, unions shut down, and industries deregulated. It's not because they have some great ideal of free markets though, it's greed.


Where do I mention immigrant workers? Where do I say that their families should starve? In fact, how do you manage to come up with any of the conclusions you have made about what I meant when you clearly didn't bother to read my post.



Felopzed
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 7:13:04 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/22/2013
Posts: 209
Location: Middle of Nowhere, United States
For eternal happiness with my best friend by my side
kylie_kained
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 7:21:37 PM

Rank: Detention Seeker

Joined: 8/17/2010
Posts: 994
Location: Over your Knee Screaming and Kicking!, United King
My dream would be for the whole world to be able to tolerate each other. No matter of sex creed colour or views.
















Guest
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 7:49:35 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 535,127
I have a dream...That the Chicago Bears go to the Superbowl and Win.....That the Chicago Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup next year too.....That the Chicago Bulls win another Championship....Last but not lest....The Chicago Cubs WIN THE WORLD SERIES!!!!!!!...yeaaaaaaaaaaaa...Hey I Dream BIG...cat
1ball
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 8:37:15 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/13/2011
Posts: 970
Location: United States
Jack_42 wrote:


There's no equality of opportunity for all - you can be a dumb prat like most of the Royal Family of the UK and have no financial worries and you can assume the right as you've inherited the privilege and I'm sure that applies to the US equivalent.


The removal of systemic barriers to equality of opportunity is what King wanted and that has largely been accomplished. The government can no longer legally discriminate against minorities nearly as much as it once did. But now it often discriminates for minorities, which results in unintended and generally adverse consequences, like capital flight and abandonment of opportunity.

My latest story is too hot to publish. My most recent story before that is Even Stranger In Lust
Guest
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 9:09:40 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 535,127
1ball wrote:
So yes, let's get back to the subject of this thread. My dream is for a world where live and let live replaces might makes right as the dominant morality.


Would be nice to see this in action.
1ball
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 9:22:56 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/13/2011
Posts: 970
Location: United States
Kristind wrote:


Would be nice to see this in action.


I agree. You try to use government to impose your will on others. King's dream included having people judged not by the color of the their skin, but by the content of their character. Your character is coercive. You call rich people arrogant because they won't let you tell them how to invest their wealth. You try to use government to coerce sacrifice from them. Yes, it would be nice to see live and let live in action.


My latest story is too hot to publish. My most recent story before that is Even Stranger In Lust
Monocle
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 9:25:26 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 2/19/2007
Posts: 300
1ball wrote:

The removal of systemic barriers to equality of opportunity is what King wanted and that has largely been accomplished.


No. We have a long way to go yet.
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.