Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

State of La Health Department destroys 1600 lbs of venison at homeless shelter Options · View
lafayettemister
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 12:45:06 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/4/2010
Posts: 6,372
Location: Alabama, United States
$8000 deer meat destroyed by bleach

SHREVEPORT, La. (CBS Houston) — Louisiana’s State Health Department forced a homeless shelter to destroy $8,000 worth of deer meat because it was donated from a hunter organization.

KTBS-TV reports that the Shreveport-Bossier Rescue Mission lost 1,600 pounds of venison because the state’s Health Department doesn’t recognize Hunters for the Hungry, an organization that allows hunters to donate any extra game to charity.

“We didn’t find anything wrong with it,” Rev. Henry Martin told KTBS. “It was processed correctly, it was packaged correctly.”

The trouble began last month after the Department of Health and Hospitals received a complaint that deer meat was being served at the homeless shelter. A health inspector went out and told the homeless shelter that deer meat was not allowed to be served and that is had to be destroyed.


“Although the meat was processed at a slaughterhouse (Bellevue) that is permitted by the Louisiana Department of Agriculture to prepare and commercially distribute meat obtained from approved farms, deer are not an approved meat source to be distributed commercially,” the department said on its Facebook page. “And because hunters brought the deer to the slaughterhouse, there is no way to verify how the deer were killed, prepared or stored.”

Martin says that bleach had to be poured onto the meat in order to destroy it.

“They threw it in the dumpster and poured Clorox on it,” Martin told KTBS. “Not only are we losing out and it’s costing us money, the people that are hungry aren’t going to get as quality of food, the hunter that’s given his meat in good faith is losing out.”

“While we applaud the good intentions of the hunters who donated this meat, we must protect the people who eat at Rescue Mission, and we cannot allow a potentially serious health threat to endanger the public,” the Health Department stated.

The department says it is now working with hunters in ways to donate extra game to homeless shelters.

=========

This was news in my home state a few months ago, just came across it again. Local reports also stated that the Mission director asked to return the venison to the hunters but that request was denied, the meat "had" to be destroyed.

This group of hunters had donated to the shelter for several years, no one had ever gotten sick. Was the state right to destroy the meat? Over 3,000 meals were lost because of the state, justified? The shelter is not run by any federal or state government so they'd have no liability responsibility? Better for the homeless to be hungry or to have "non approved meat source" that's been properly managed? Should a complaint of one person trump the needs of the many?





When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
MadMartigan
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 6:04:15 PM

Rank: Story Verifier

Joined: 6/17/2013
Posts: 2,092
Location: United States
I think it is bullshit.

Awhile back I volunteered at a Food Bank in the inner city. (In the the US of course).

Now, they didn't particularly like venison there, but that's beside the point.

I know VERY WELL the quality of meat distributed at Food Banks. It is....well, not all of it is that great.

I most certainly believe their is a disgusting level of incompetence and hypocrisy going on. Does the State Health Dept. even know what kinds of people the folks who live on Food Banks eat? Does the FDA? My fucking god....

The venison was most likely the BEST food they ever had access to. Probably the healthiest as well to be honest. Much of the food bank stuff in food bank facilities is fat, sweet, and carbs. You name it. Cakes, etc.

It pisses me off to see such a large portion of good food become a colossal waste. Especially when the food would have gone to help the already crummy lives of the persons it was being distributed to.

It's BS like this that makes it seem impossible to solve world hunger or give it a fighting chance.


Honestly, I may or may sound like as ass but.....

This is the South....As it's usual worst.

1ball
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 11:00:04 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/13/2011
Posts: 970
Location: United States
lafayettemister wrote:
Was the state right to destroy the meat? Over 3,000 meals were lost because of the state, justified? The shelter is not run by any federal or state government so they'd have no liability responsibility? Better for the homeless to be hungry or to have "non approved meat source" that's been properly managed? Should a complaint of one person trump the needs of the many?


It might have been appropriate for the state to require signs saying that the meat was not inspected by state or federal inspectors and was not certified as fit for consumption. That's how these things are typically handled. Many many organizations serve "Wild Game" dinners as a means to raise funds and signage requirements are fairly common. People voluntarily eat at these shelters, it's not like they're in state prisons or county jails. Nanny statism is a disease.

My latest story is too hot to publish. My most recent story before that is Even Stranger In Lust
c50t
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 11:23:08 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 4/9/2011
Posts: 274
Now, this is the same state that is fighting to give school vouchers to kids at failing schools allowing them to find a better choice for education? Wow, maybe we should just do everything the government says and stop fighting it at all.

I am quickly losing faith in our society to think for itself.

So, if a hunter wants to donate some extra venison what options do they have left? I guess the best way may be just to privately pull a car up to a bridge, hand a bag outside the window and drive off. Hey! That would be safe! Right?

And why did they have to destroy the meat? If the health dept. was really concerned JUST TEST IT!!! Or, as suggested above, put some disclaimers on it. I'm sure if they hadn't poured bleach on it, the homeless would have been dumpster diving like it was a house a party.

This was a play for power. The state has the power. If you want permission you have to buy their permits, use their facilities, jump through their hoops.
"of the people, by the people, and for the people" was a great game as long as it lasted.
Buz
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2013 8:08:40 PM

Rank: The Linebacker

Joined: 3/2/2011
Posts: 5,789
Location: Atlanta, United States
Being a long time volunteer and financial supporter of a homeless shelter this especially pisses me off. I find government to usually be a bigger hindrance than help anyhow. Hence my growing sympathies toward anarchism. Homeless shelters tend to get mostly donations of canned process foods. Not the healthiest of diets but beggars cannot be choosers. The food does meet government requirements. Many restaurants throw out freshly cooked food at the close of business each day. The government will not allow them to give that food to the homeless. I know because I've dealt with that personally. However, some caring managers discreetly do it anyhow. How preposterous to have to circumvent government oppression to do good work. If the venison was processed properly than it is leaner and healthier than the canned meat that the government will allow to be donated. I am an avid hunter and if there is more meat than I can consume, which is often, I ALWAYS give it to someone else who will eat it. I most often give it to some underpriviliged poor families that live in the vicinity in which I hunt. They are very appreciative.

elitfromnorth
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 1:44:07 PM

Rank: Brawling Berserker

Joined: 2/12/2012
Posts: 1,619
Location: Burrowed, Norway
I might have a wrong impression of American society, but consider this scenario and tell me if you find it implausible; someone eats the venison and gets sick and maybe dies because of it. They do an autopsy and find out it was something wrong with the venison. A family member that has no sense of morality and common decency decides to sue someone, maybe even the city, for letting food that hasn't gone through the proper channels be distributed to homeless people. Person gets X million dollars even though the judge says "This is fucking ludicrous, but it's the law."

It's a fucking stupid and horrendous scenario, but I've learned to never underestimate the greed of humans.

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
lafayettemister
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 3:29:52 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/4/2010
Posts: 6,372
Location: Alabama, United States
elitfromnorth wrote:
I might have a wrong impression of American society, but consider this scenario and tell me if you find it implausible; someone eats the venison and gets sick and maybe dies because of it. They do an autopsy and find out it was something wrong with the venison. A family member that has no sense of morality and common decency decides to sue someone, maybe even the city, for letting food that hasn't gone through the proper channels be distributed to homeless people. Person gets X million dollars even though the judge says "This is fucking ludicrous, but it's the law."

It's a fucking stupid and horrendous scenario, but I've learned to never underestimate the greed of humans.


In this case, the meat was handled at a local slaughterhouse. One with all licenses and legalities followed. The meat itself was not butchered or prepared by random hunters, but by a legitimate slaughterhouse. If they state found that the venison could not legally be fed to the homeless, they should have returned it to the donating group so they could have given it to someone else or taken it for themselves. No need to destroy it.





When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Ruthie
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 4:20:45 PM

Rank: Story Verifier

Joined: 10/21/2010
Posts: 2,363
Location: United States
Apparently, the venison wasn't destroyed because it wasn't inspected or properly handled, it was rejected just because it was venison. Louisiana law forbids the serving of venison in any public place, restaurants or any public eating facility, such as a homeless shelter. They had been eating venison for years at this homeless shelter, but one of the people complained about being fed deer meat.

It only takes one asshole to ruin things for everybody.

Buz
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 4:32:41 PM

Rank: The Linebacker

Joined: 3/2/2011
Posts: 5,789
Location: Atlanta, United States
elitfromnorth wrote:
I might have a wrong impression of American society, but consider this scenario and tell me if you find it implausible; someone eats the venison and gets sick and maybe dies because of it. They do an autopsy and find out it was something wrong with the venison. A family member that has no sense of morality and common decency decides to sue someone, maybe even the city, for letting food that hasn't gone through the proper channels be distributed to homeless people. Person gets X million dollars even though the judge says "This is fucking ludicrous, but it's the law."

It's a fucking stupid and horrendous scenario, but I've learned to never underestimate the greed of humans.


Well Elit you are sure on the money about the law suit thing. There are way too many people in American society ready to sue about anything. Personally I think judges should have more power to rule a lawsuit unworthy and frivolous and levy a steep court charge for such. Maybe making the attorney pay for that would do the trick. Our court systems get clogged with such frivolous suits with no recourse.

As far as this case I am really surprised that Louisiana has such a law against serving venison. It is a very pro-hunting state. I have hunted and fished in Louisiana myself. I am a huge advocate for the homeless, so this situation infuriated me. We wouldn't have such a rampant homeless problem in our very rich country if we took care of the mentally ill, and brain damaged or deficient people instead of turning them out on the streets. The USA's politicians would rather help those who are able to help themselves in return for their votes than help these people who most likely do not vote.

Ruthie
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 4:45:10 PM

Rank: Story Verifier

Joined: 10/21/2010
Posts: 2,363
Location: United States
Buz wrote:

We wouldn't have such a rampant homeless problem in our very rich country if we took care of the mentally ill, and brain damaged or deficient people instead of turning them out on the streets. The USA's politicians would rather help those who are able to help themselves in return for their votes than help these people who most likely do not vote.


This is true. Many of the homeless are people who just can't get the mental health care that they need.

The law about not eating venison is on the books in Louisiana, but the decision to destroy the meat rather than return it to the processor or donor was made by an individual. There is one individual responsible for that decision, and whoever it was should have to pay for the meat.
Guest
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 10:32:47 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 534,748
Sirene_Jaune
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 3:24:05 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 5/6/2011
Posts: 771
Location: In my mind, Australia
That is disgusting, meat is meat. These homeless people need to eat too. Why do this when there was nothing wrong with it. There is so many PC police.

Axl - Take a look at our piercing menu.

Daria - I don't think that's how you spell "uvula."

Axl - That's not "uvula."

From: "Daria" episode "Pierce Me"
Frank
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 5:38:26 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/16/2011
Posts: 9,276
Location: Pleasure dome, United Kingdom

Think Buz, not into the hunting thing at all.
But, I am not going to judge when not living in the country or culture you do.
For those like you to have organised and delivered excess product, well done and thank you.
Objectively it can only only be considered abhorrent to have such waste when there is so much need.
When fellow citizens are so considerate and charitable in our culture of self serving greed it should be embraced.

d'oh! “They threw it in the dumpster and poured Clorox on it,”
Just to really show environmental credentials!

Just wait until the hypocrites condone human farming. Remove their undesirables.




________________________________________________________________

Experience is not what happens to you; it's what you do with what happens to you.
Aldous Huxley

elitfromnorth
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 7:22:58 PM

Rank: Brawling Berserker

Joined: 2/12/2012
Posts: 1,619
Location: Burrowed, Norway
Ruthie wrote:
Apparently, the venison wasn't destroyed because it wasn't inspected or properly handled, it was rejected just because it was venison. Louisiana law forbids the serving of venison in any public place, restaurants or any public eating facility, such as a homeless shelter. They had been eating venison for years at this homeless shelter, but one of the people complained about being fed deer meat.

It only takes one asshole to ruin things for everybody.



Is this because of health reasons? I know that we in Norway have strict rules regarding livestock being given antibiotics and how long it takes before you can send them to the slaughter house. Can it be that there's something that the deer eat in the wild that makes it kinda dodgy to actaully take money for the meat. Some kind of disease that has ridden the area? After all, they do suspect that the Muslim ban on pigs was actually due to pigs were usually disease ridden. Basically if this is the case then what kind of signal would it send out if you say "You can't sell this to paying customers, but you can give it to the homeless." Imagine the state recieving the heat for calling homeless people second class citizens.

But this is just me speculating.

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
Guest
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 7:57:40 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 534,748
Sorry, but, I am constantly surrounded by and harangued by our dear homeless brethren. Most are drug addicts who will, and don't let your bleeding heart fool you, they will, fuck you and play you on a dime. So yes, to those that play that card to their advantage, yes they are second class. Second class human beings that are only liars, grifters and play on others emotions in order to get what they want. There are others that are homeless due to uncontrollable circumstances, and to those there are systems in place to help. Those equal citizens fight against the inadequate systems that are in place, as you and I have to fight whatever system has us bound.

Now, as for the meat, legislation at some point in time probably dictates why there is such waste. And yes, one of those a-hole homeless may have bitched and moaned cause the US in consistently aware of their rights, and their self proclaimed humanity. For the equal citizens that are doing their damnedest to survive, sorry, they don't need to eat meat they don't want to.

Everyone herein has their own dietary restrictions when dining out, or at a party, but if your not paying the bill, then you should eat it no? Sure, whatever you're given when you're not paying you should just eat it. Good luck with that. Personally, I love venison, but give anyone a foot, they'll take a yard. The powers that be probably said fuck that noise, and we don't need litigation from any interest on either side.
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.