Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Remembering where you were on 9-11-01. Options · View
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:47:52 AM

I was working at the Sears HQ as a telephone op. We didn't know anything until call's started coming in asking if we were ok and why we were still in the building. See people still thought the HQs was in the Sears Tower (now Willis Tower) in Chicago. I got my break at 9:30 am (central time) and saw on CNN the horror that was going on. I could'nt belive it...Standing surrounded by Sears employees all of us silent, crying, and shaking are heads. I never thought we could be attacked.
Ardentmale
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 12:15:42 PM

I remember being awoken by my ex... I sat on the couch for about 10 minutes in awe...speechless... Then the 2nd plane hit... I called work and was out the door in 15 minutes despite my ex's protests at the time (She thought I would be going to the site)... Within the hour I was at one of the schools just in case... That day was a blur filled with shock and disbelief...

characterized by intense feeling; passionate; fervent

Intensely devoted, eager, or enthusiastic; zealous

vehement; fierce burning, fiery, or hot
adagio_sabadicus
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 12:23:50 PM

I was working my bookshop when my radio broke in with the news. We have become vulnerable to our enemies. God Bless our liberties.

[
kiera
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 12:34:33 PM

I was at work, I work in the courier industry.

A guy from another courier company who was a bit of an idiot told me, I thought he was winding me up but he was insistent it was true. We had a small portable tv in the office and I had my boss switch it on, he believed it was a wind up to, I wish it had been we all sat back in complete shock as we watched it happening, one of the most upsetting days of my life and the following days were equally as bad.

My heart goes out to America today and to all those who lost their loved ones in that tragedy, it was and still is utterly heart breaking what happened that day, all that needless death. I hope that man is burning in hell along with Hitler.
Americanheart
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 12:50:23 PM

12 years ago I was living in Escondido, California on my way to school were I heard about it on the radio thinking it was some idiot. When, I got home from school I asked mom if she got fired because she was home early all she said it was a terriorist attack and pointed to the TV. I immidately cried because I thought my Grandma had passed on but then my dad called from NY telling he and grandma were fine. I was in the fifth grade back then. I had a full day of school.

BlondeBookworm
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 12:55:15 PM

I was in first grade! I had absolutely no clue what was happening or why everyone was acting so strange all day. My mom got me out of school early that day, so at the time I thought it was awesome I got a day off, not knowing what a tragic day it was.
Poppet
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 1:15:16 PM

I remember it as though it just happened. I was sixteen, I was in first period class and kids came running in telling the teacher to turn the TV on. Endless crying was happening; I didn’t understand what was going on. We were sent home for the day, I watched the news for the rest of the day, crying.

seeker4
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:44:12 PM

Like many others, I was at work (same job as now). Because I live in the same time zone as New York (Eastern), it happened after I got to work so I didn't know anything until someone came in and told me that a plane had hit the World Trade Centre. I was busy but opened a news site, thinking it would be an accident but quickly learned otherwise.

Its been a while but I finally got a new story out. Enjoy!

Satisfaction in the Park
Buz
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:34:09 PM

I was in high school sitting in class and worn out from early morning (before school) football practice. A teacher came to the door and talked to our teacher, who then turned the wall mounted TV on for us all to see what was happening.

Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:22:30 PM

I remember seeing the footage and thinking No way. I am still not clear on how this happened.
Ajax
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:45:27 AM

I was sleeping, my phone started ringing of the hook. I crawled out of bed, picked up the phone and i heard my friends voice "Turn on your tv" i asked him what was up and he just repeated himself. At that point, the second tower wasn't hit yet. I just sat there in disbelief watching what had unfolded after that second plane had hit.. I had to work my part time job, on my way to work i saw people flooding the gas stations. Filling thier cars and gas cans up. The strangest day i have ever experienced that was for sure. i remember walking out of the building where i worked just to look at the sky. Perfect day weather wise and not a cloud in the sky. No planes in the sky, no vapor trails , no nothin. On my way home after work a lot of gas stations were closed due to being out of fuel. Just unbelievable.

Wilful
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 3:09:54 AM

My father and stepmother were visiting from out of town, and we were out to dinner. About the time it was happening, we were oddly having a discussion about the US sending a team of Navy SEALs to get Osama bin Laden.

It wasn't until the next morning when I first heard about it on the radio, and we turned on the TV. There was only footage of the devastation at that point. But when I got home from work later that day, the image of the second plane going in was forever burned into my memory.

My thoughts to the victims, and those who love them.

Please check out my latest story, Sleeping Over
STRETCHupNher
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 4:30:08 AM

I was at home having coffee and breakfast, had just sat back down when they broke in and said a small plane had hit one of the towers. Then watched as the second plane hit with shock, sadness & fear for those in the upper floors because I knew from the way fuel and debris blew out all sides of the building that they didn't have a chance. I get deeply sad & sickened to this day everytime I think of it. I will never forget it and how eerie it was for the first time in my life living in Vegas not seeing/hearing a constant flow of air traffic coming & going at McCarran Air Port which is only about 5-8 miles from where I live.

NYMM500
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 4:59:01 AM

I was working 3 blocks from WTC. At first the reports were saying a small plane had hit one of the towers. After the 2nd plane hit, we were instructed to evacuate the building. Some of us stayed behind. When the 2nd tower fell, the streets were clouded in a darkness that was so surreal and eerie - utter darkness with flecks of silver floating through the clouds. Once the dust cleared we made our way out the building and up the FDR planning to walk over the Brooklyn Bridge. We ended up on a ferry across the river to Brooklyn and then made our way home from there. A devastating day - NEVER FORGET !!
Felopzed
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:35:16 AM

I was on my way to work listening to the radio when I heard a plane hit one of the towers. I immediately called my wife at the time and told her what was happening. She didn't believe me at first because at times I can be a jokester but not this morning. When my voice started to crack because I wanted to cry she then believed me and turned on the tv at that point. I proceeded to drive onto work and parked my car sitting there in utter disbelief and fear. When I did go in at work it was then that the second plane hit the other tower. It was a very devasting day one that is etched in my mind forever.
HoneyBee000
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:36:18 AM

I was in the UK! I'd just got home from picking up my daughter at the nursery! I switched on Sky news and was watching the video footage... I didn't quite get it at first (as I had switched on in the middle of the awful video footage) I thought they was advertising a new action-packed movie! :( How very wrong was I!!!!!
I have never watched new footage that has shocked me than that day!
I had watched the first plane go into the tower but then a second... Words can't describe the horror I felt!
Then watching the news later on that night of everybody covered in white dust.
I also remember that the guy who wrote Frasier Crane lost his life on that plane too!
That week they played all the best brilliant bit's on T.V!
Also all the radio stations the next day played uplifting and meaningful songs all day!
The one I remember the most was called Circle by Travis!!! I sat in the car crying I have no idea where I was driving too, I just drove in the car listening to this song!!!
I also remember a story heard on the radio a teenage daughter said to her father my laptop is broken can you fix it now for me?
The father replied no I have to catch a plane!!!
The daughter said but dad it's really important!
Dad again said if I mess around with your p.c my boss won't be happy if I turn up late for work!
dad..... I need it before I go to school for homework... please, it's really important!!!
Dad: Okay then!!! I know I'll be late I'll just ring work and say I'll catch another plane!!!

After the dad had fixed his daughter's lap top and phoned work he sat with a cup of coffee and turned on the news!

He watched the news and looked at his daughter's laptop on the table and thought... that could have been me on the news right now! His daughter saved his life!!!

I always think of that story when my children hassle me before I go to work - maybe I'm being bugged for a reason that I don't quite know yet!!

Xxxxxx
Mikeyd60
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:54:55 AM

I was sitting in my hotel room at the LAX Hilton, may gods hand look after the families who lost relatives and guide them through the tough times, xxx
andybbwlover
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 6:00:39 AM

I was at work listening to Radio 1 then it came over the news that a plane had hit the World Trade Center, then the report came in of the second tower being hit complete shock. I went home for lunch that day just to watch what was going on in New York. R.I.P
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 6:14:24 PM

I was sitting in my 4th grade class. . .
scarlet
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:12:29 PM

'It' happened towards the end of my first day in year 6, (aged 10) and the teacher was pulled out of the class along with the treating assistant. They didn't tell us what was going on when they came back in, but the assistant was visually upset.

My best friend and I were removed from school shortly after by her mum, we actually thought it was cool at the time. We were told out later that evening by her family about the towers and the pentagon. I didn't see the news footage until I went home. The moment of being told what happened sticks in my mind more than the footage, although watching it was life changing even at 10.

I remember my first actions when I got home was calling everyone I knew in the USA to check they were ok. They weren't even anywhere near New York my mum teaching in Massachusetts, my dad who was working in California and then my cousin who lived in Ohio.
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 8:47:35 PM

I had slept the whole day, having had surgery the day before. I did not find out about it until the next day.
Belthazor
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 10:27:31 PM

I was in 5th grade. Waiting for our D.A.R.E. officer to get there. I remember thinking it was weird that she was late when she suddenly came hustling into the room telling my teacher to turn on the tv. She did and flipped it over to the news. We saw smoke billowing out of the first tower and just had time to see the other plane hit the second one. I couldn't believe it. But then again, I was 10. I had no idea what was going on. Couldn't have conceived of "someone attacked us". When my mom picked my brother and I up shortly thereafter and told us that, I actually remember saying "But... nobody attacks us. Why would they attack us?" 12 years later, I still can't believe it sometimes. The tragedy, that is.
Dani
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 11:03:51 PM

Junior High classroom. No clue what was going on. The teachers were being weird, and then they finally clued us in. They brought in TV sets, and that's what we did for the rest of the day.

Baby put your arms around me, tell me I'm a problem...

Dirty_D
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 11:06:57 PM

I was working in the barn. Watering the big barn actually. I heard it in the radio as I either but wasn't worried about it to much at the time except how it would affect my then husbands drive back home from manhattan where he was at the time.

Dementorkissed
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 3:12:03 AM

I was sleeping and my wife (9 months prego) woke me up and pointed to the TV with the First tower burning.. Initially I thought it was a a movie.. then noticed that it was CNN and it was real!!

The first words out of my mouth were.. "oh my god, i was supposed to be there today".. I had two job offers .. 1 was near chicago and one at the WTC.

A week before the attack she had asked me .. rather told me to take the chicago job... She did not have an answer to as to why we should drive half way across the country, in her condition so i could join that job... her answer was, I just dont want you to take the NYC job. A womans intution, i guess.

I am glad for her intution.. 700 people (some of them I knew).. Till today I get tears in my eyes thinking of that day.

“When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”
― Helen Keller
Mazza
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 4:32:25 AM

It was early in the morning and I was sitting with my wee baby. It was just a few days after her first birthday.

The news came on the television and I sat, shocked, crying, watching as it unfolded and just seemed to get worse and worse.

My parents lived in California at that time and although it was the middle of the night, I called them (I mean I knew that they were okay and everything, but it was just so very very upsetting, I just had to speak to them)

sexyeyes37
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 4:53:13 AM

I remember watching the footage on tv and remember screaming when the second plane appeared.The rest of the day was a blur.

sexyeyes37
Jack_42
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 6:06:07 AM

I was just recovering from a liaison with my lover in Washington CD, UK. I was horrified however:-

Total number of people who died in the 9/11 attacks

Iraqi Civilians Killed, Estimated - On October 22, 2010, ABC News reported "a secret U.S. government tally that puts the Iraqi (civilian) death toll over 100,000," information that was included in more than 400,000 military documents released by Wikileaks.com.

The attacks were tragic however the above also gives food for thought too.
Robert1234
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 6:55:45 AM

Alex7
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 7:40:01 AM

I was driving back from Ikea when I had a text message saying that planes had crashed into the twin towers. The weird thing is that my partner & I had just purchased a big, framed picture of the NYC skyline with the twin towers front and centre. It didn't seem right putting it on the wall when we got home.

Sometimes the fun comes below the waistline, sunshine.