Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Why do some readers comment but not score? Options · View
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 7:54:18 AM

I've noticed on my last couple of poems, quite a few people comment on the story, but don't leave a score. I would have thought it would be more scores than comments. I'm wondering why some readers don't score if they have taken the time to leave a comment?
sprite
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 7:57:19 AM

cause the scoring system only goes to 5 and they wanted to give you 6s. :)

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/hardcore/west-coast-games-part-one-the-beach.aspx
playsit
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 9:24:38 AM

Good question Trinket. I am one of those who comment but don't score. I've submitted a few scribbles on Lush and a few really good friends scored them as 5s. While I appreciate the support, I know they are really only 3.5s at best. There are some amazing writers here who clearly deserve high marks and it's embarrassing to be rated with them as I feel that I water down their deserved scores. The comments mean so much more to me personally, I just started to leave my thoughts on others work instead of a score. It's just more personal.
TheDevilsWeakness
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 9:33:53 AM

I'm not sure if you have these settings enforced, but I will sometimes write a comment on a story and then try to leave a score and then it prompts me for a comment.
Since I've already written the comment, I cannot bypass this unless I write another comment. So I just forget scoring it and go on about my day.

Coco
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 9:44:05 AM

I do this sometimes when I know someone highly values high scores and I cannot give them a high score. There are other times when I simply forget.

Metilda
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 10:23:31 AM

trinket wrote:
I've noticed on my last couple of poems, quite a few people comment on the story, but don't leave a score. I would have thought it would be more scores than comments. I'm wondering why some readers don't score if they have taken the time to leave a comment?

Everyone has their own way of telling you what they think - not everyone is alike.

Not everyone reads for the same reasons, to boot.

There are a variety of options for both readers and writers in the hopes of giving everyone a comfortable path to take, while trying to encourage as many responses as possible.

Available as an ebook through All Romance, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, iBooks, and others.
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 10:54:09 AM

Coco wrote:
I do this sometimes when I know someone highly values high scores and I cannot give them a high score. There are other times when I simply forget.

I was afraid someone was going to say this. confused5

playsit wrote:
Good question Trinket. I am one of those who comment but don't score. I've submitted a few scribbles on Lush and a few really good friends scored them as 5s. While I appreciate the support, I know they are really only 3.5s at best. There are some amazing writers here who clearly deserve high marks and it's embarrassing to be rated with them as I feel that I water down their deserved scores. The comments mean so much more to me personally, I just started to leave my thoughts on others work instead of a score. It's just more personal.

Thanks for your post playsit. I do think you're under-rating yourself if you think your stories/poems are 3.5 at best, I strongly disagree with you on that, but I know what you're saying about not wanting to be scored the same as other writers.

TheDevilsWeakness wrote:
I'm not sure if you have these settings enforced, but I will sometimes write a comment on a story and then try to leave a score and then it prompts me for a comment.
Since I've already written the comment, I cannot bypass this unless I write another comment. So I just forget scoring it and go on about my day.

I used to have forced comments on but don't anymore. bunny

Metilda
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 2:10:16 PM

Well, also, votes are anonymous to everyone else. Comments aren't.

Available as an ebook through All Romance, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, iBooks, and others.
playsit
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 2:35:53 PM

Well aren't you a sweetheart!

I thought about this further today and perhaps have changed my mind regarding voting. I struck me that reading others work is much like wondering through an art museum. Only a select few pieces might speak to me, but I really would never say something negative about those that don't. Just because a piece doesn't speak to me doesn't mean much, the next person may love it. I guess voting and commenting is a lot like that. Those to whom a piece speaks will respond positively, others just glance and move on. Maybe I should start voting again.

Thanks for making me think more about this.
asleep
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 2:44:48 PM

Sometimes I'll leave a "vanilla" like comment and then send the writer a PM that further explains what I really feel...expanding the comment the on the page. A lot of times I just wish there was a "like this" button rather than a scoring system...jmho.

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-stories/exit-33-trust.aspx

WellMadeMale
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 7:32:45 PM

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Buz
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 8:42:54 PM

I've noticed that sometimes the vote does not actually register. This is especially true if I use the vote box at the top right of the story.

Thrill_Seeker18
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 10:31:38 PM

I just forget sometimes honestly...
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 11:08:03 PM

I do it the other way around - score but I don't comment even though I do like when readers score and comment on my stories. I'm a bit of a hypocrite.
naughtyannie
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 11:24:20 PM

I actually just sometimes forget to score, especially if I've enjoyed a story so much that I'm looking forward to leaving a proper comment. Sometimes I remember to score later, when I'm 're-reading a favourite.

Click on the link below to visit my profile page, for award-winning filthy stories and arousing pics. Go on, it's just one click.

You know you want to...

http://www.lushstories.com/naughtyannie

You don't know what you're missing 'til you try it
tango48
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 12:53:01 AM

getting carried away by reading, and then commenting, just forgetting the score button!

if, 'to be or not to be' is the question - then how is E=MC^2?
dpw
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 3:01:47 PM

When I joined Lush I read a story then the comments then moved to another story. Then I started to browse the forums and found my voice. Now I always put a score but not always a comment, don,t want to say critical things until I've had the guts to post a story but if it's good I'll let you know.
malebox
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 3:41:25 PM

Scoring is more subjective than commenting. Against which guideline/standard do you measure? If each person applies their own base point the scoring becomes quite meaningless.
Alex7
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 4:46:40 PM

If I comment on a story, then I always score on it too. I follow a simple formula. If I enjoyed it then I score. If I thought it was outstanding then I leave a comment as well. I may be too generous, but I have never left a negative comment, or score come to that.

Sometimes the fun comes below the waistline, sunshine.
Barrone
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 6:22:43 PM

Idk, but I read and score;)

Swimming in my pond, waiting for some Lush Lovelies:) I'm Sexy, and I Know It!!
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 6:46:14 PM

Metilda wrote:
Well, also, votes are anonymous to everyone else. Comments aren't.

I just had a thought about this and the votes aren't as anonymous as they were... with the timeline, quite a few times I have been able to figure a score someone gave me. e.g. on one story I had 21 scores of 5. Someone came along a few days later and all of a sudden I had 1 score of 4. Of course it doesn't bother me, but it's possible that might have something to do with it, if a friend doesn't want you to know they would give you less than a 5, which is silly, I know.

It doesn't matter to me whether people comment, score or both, I was only curious to hear why some people might do this. thank you all for your replies, it's helped me understand it all a bit more.

Asleep, I really liked the idea about a 'like' button :)
Dani
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 6:48:42 PM

Probably because they don't want to. Those who want to, do so. Those who don't want to refrain from doing so.

Some people are just fickle that way...or maybe they become so engrossed in commenting that they forget to score. dontknow

Baby put your arms around me, tell me I'm a problem...

CharlotteRusse1
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 9:40:08 PM

I've commented without scoring, I think. Absentmindedness. The comments are more important anyway.

Writer of amateur erotica since 2011..See the latest at:

She
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 8:23:39 AM

Some people read stories not being logged on. They might vote at time or just forget voting after leaving comment, thinking that already did so.

With me is the case, what I read, I vote and leave comment. I am extremely generous and supportive when it comes to voting and commenting. I am no literary critic and this is fun site for people to relax and have fun. We have mods who are trying to keep quality as Nicola wants, there is no need for me to be unsupportive. At least this is how I see it.
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 9:08:47 AM

Ok thanks peeps. I don't have a problem with not getting comments or scores... I was curious to know why some readers did things one way and others did them another way. Thanks a bunch :)
Poppet
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 9:29:30 AM

Buz wrote:
I've noticed that sometimes the vote does not actually register. This is especially true if I use the vote box at the top right of the story.

I've heard this being an issue on phones as well. It doesn't register a lot of the times. When a few people tell me they've voted but it doesn't go through, they go back and vote. It's a little flaw.

Edit: If I comment, I vote, if I vote, I comment. Just makes sense to me. It's what I'd hope others do for me, so I do for them.

simplyjohn
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 9:41:25 AM

My lil penneth .. I dont read many stories here and neither in real life either. On here I always leave a comment but not always a score. My reason for this is that I see the comment as my opportunity to express how much I liked or maybe disliked the story and just that so just a very personal view. However I see the score more reflective of a number of factors more related to the writers abilities as a writer and therefore I dont feel I should score since I know nothing about writing stories so it wouldnt be helpful to do so ... ugh I didnt express that very well but perhaps it makes sense.
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 10:05:04 AM

I understood it perfectly J :) I see it's a personal thing... everyone has their own system for letting a writer know what they thought of their story.
lemanruss
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 11:28:33 AM

I've seen this a lot. My most recent story has over 8,000 views in a short period of time and has been commented and favorited by people, yet it only has 3 measly scores. Granted, I have it set so that only registered users can score, but it seems some people either forget, or just don't bother (including those who have favorited it!)

At some point you have to realize that the popularity contest of scoring isn't all it's cracked up to be. Some stories get a high score simply because the readers want to fuck the writer's avatar. isjda

Just keep doing what you do. Just because someone didn't bother with the drop down doesn't mean people didn't enjoy what you made.
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 11:41:33 AM

I score too much more than I comment.