Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Malala - Nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize Options · View
principessa
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 4:44:42 PM

This young Pakistani girl was shot by the Taliban for campaigning for education for girls. She is probably the bravest girl in the world, and she speaks for millions of girls who also want to go to school. She was shot at point blank range in the head and miraculously survived.

She has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Your thoughts?

LadyX
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 4:46:51 PM

She deserves anything she's recognized to receive for her remarkable bravery. The Nobel Peace Prize is almost beneath her, really, considering some of its previous winners (Obama and Yasser Arafat come to mind).
AngelHeart01
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 5:48:39 PM

An Amazing HUMAN BEING. What a brave and beautiful soul. Restores our faith in humanity ten-fold.

She is the perfect, and well deserving nominee.
seeker4
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 6:15:06 PM

Giving it to her would go a long towards redeeming the prize after some of the questionable awards that branch of the Nobel has handed out (Obama, as much as I like him on some levels, did nothing to further peace before or after winning it). Will they? I don't know. They aren't as predictable or as obvious as some of the science prizes.

Stories that satisfy about people seeking satisfaction

Satisfaction in the Park

Satisfaction in the Library
sprite
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 6:40:03 PM

she deserves it, not for being shot, but for the reason she was shot and what she's done since. no question in my mind.

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/hardcore/west-coast-games-part-one-the-beach.aspx
MysteryBaby
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 8:51:26 PM

I think she more than deserves it. She was brave enough to stand up for herself and others for something she believed in.

Bite Me and make it hard <3
dpw
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 5:06:51 AM

I think she is an amazing child, intelligent, brave and determined. However, I don't understand how she has furthered peace in the world. I happen to think that the Peace Prize is a devalued award with some laughable recipients. I would much prefer an award for humanity, then, Malala would be a deserving nominee.
Alphamagus
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 2:09:05 PM

What has not been mentioned is that she is now returning to continue her campaign for freedom of education for females even though she had been told that it will probably mean her death. To me this prize is nothing compared to her courage.

The Taliban which ironically enough means teacher is an evil that has to be stamped out so these young women can feel educated and safe.
ByronLord
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 2:42:19 PM

Alphamagus wrote:
What has not been mentioned is that she is now returning to continue her campaign for freedom of education for females even though she had been told that it will probably mean her death. To me this prize is nothing compared to her courage.

The Taliban which ironically enough means teacher is an evil that has to be stamped out so these young women can feel educated and safe.

I don't think she is returning, not according to the World Service interview she gave yesterday.

We need to get the price of technology down so that it is not possible for the reactionaries to stop children from getting an education by shutting down the schools.

It is not just the girls, the Taleban tries to keep ignorant. They want to limit boys to a crap Madrassa education where all they do is learn the Koran by rote and some bigot's interpretations of it. That isn't learning knowledge.

Tablet PCs and WiFi are a powerful learning tool and they are pretty hard to suppress.

Alphamagus
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 10:11:09 PM

ByronLord wrote:

I don't think she is returning, not according to the World Service interview she gave yesterday.

We need to get the price of technology down so that it is not possible for the reactionaries to stop children from getting an education by shutting down the schools.

It is not just the girls, the Taleban tries to keep ignorant. They want to limit boys to a crap Madrassa education where all they do is learn the Koran by rote and some bigot's interpretations of it. That isn't learning knowledge.

Tablet PCs and WiFi are a powerful learning tool and they are pretty hard to suppress.

My apologies Byron,

I am referring to an interview that she gave a few months back with the BBC, where she pledged to return and enter politics in a bid to increase the level of education in her home country. It seems that this Nobel nomination might have put paid to that with what is now a very defined and clear danger to this poor girls life. The Taliban are now using the nobel nomination as a means to get a little more publicity.
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2013 7:35:36 AM

No wonder in that. But the declaration of Nobel Peace Prize is always done by biased judges.
Volya
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2013 9:09:44 AM

dpw wrote:
I think she is an amazing child, intelligent, brave and determined. However, I don't understand how she has furthered peace in the world. I happen to think that the Peace Prize is a devalued award with some laughable recipients. I would much prefer an award for humanity, then, Malala would be a deserving nominee.

One of the major threats to peace today is the growth of fundamentalist religious movements, predominantly in Muslim dominated areas of the world. A key goal is to move the clock backwards socially speaking. Denying education to women is a significant enabler to achieving their goal of controlling almost all aspects of society.

Access to a quality education will go a very, very long way towards denying fundamentalists a fertile recruiting ground for impressionable, pissed of young men who blindly suck in the propaganda given to them in madrases, and then all too willingly become jihadists.

BTW: Malala should have won the award IMHO.
dpw
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2013 10:35:10 AM

Volya wrote:

One of the major threats to peace today is the growth of fundamentalist religious movements, predominantly in Muslim dominated areas of the world. A key goal is to move the clock backwards socially speaking. Denying education to women is a significant enabler to achieving their goal of controlling almost all aspects of society.

Access to a quality education will go a very, very long way towards denying fundamentalists a fertile recruiting ground for impressionable, pissed of young men who blindly suck in the propaganda given to them in madrases, and then all too willingly become jihadists.

BTW: Malala should have won the award IMHO.

My point is that the education of girls in villages doesn't in itself lead to a lessening of violence or a more peaceful world. You surely can't mean that educated women aren't violent or aren't fundamentalists, that would be naive. I still think that Malala did nothing for the cause of peace but a great deal for humanity. I firmly believe that the award is spurious at best and obsequiously false at worst and always has been. Even Adolph Hitler was nominated! I think it's time to end the farce.
Volya
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2013 12:21:40 PM

dpw wrote:

My point is that the education of girls in villages doesn't in itself lead to a lessening of violence or a more peaceful world. You surely can't mean that educated women aren't violent or aren't fundamentalists, that would be naive. I still think that Malala did nothing for the cause of peace but a great deal for humanity. I firmly believe that the award is spurious at best and obsequiously false at worst and always has been. Even Adolph Hitler was nominated! I think it's time to end the farce.

OK, I probably should have taken a little more time to connect the dots. I'm taking the long view, i.e. the merit for the award ins't a linear "do action A which leads directly to result B (world peace.)"

There's a reason the fundamentalists are against education -- it leads people to think for themselves, to take a critical and/or questioning view of what is presented to them, and to expand their horizons. Education is a direct threat to the foundations of most fundamentalist movements. Once people begin to think for themselves, they are much much less likely to blindly act on the demands of some rather charismatic guy who tells them to do something violent because "it's what God/Allah/Yahweh/Zeus wants and demands." In case you hadn't noticed, most of the angst and ire out there today being vented about education is coming from those with a more fundamental bent (and yes, I'm including those folks who are really peeved that evolution is being taught in our schools here in the States.)

Particular to Malala's environment, is that girls/women are being denied even rudimentary access to education. Unfortunately, this is not unique to to her village, her country, her region or even her continent.

If you would care to take an even longer view, you would also note that there is a clear inverse relationship between education level and population growth. You think things are bad today? Wait until the global population begins to fight over shortages of food and potable water -- that's gonna be a real nightmare.

As to the history of the award -- just because the Committee has made some poor selection in the past, that doesn't mean that award should be scrapped. If that were the criteria for value, then neither Boston nor Chicago would have baseball teams ;)
dpw
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2013 2:17:31 PM

Volya wrote:

OK, I probably should have taken a little more time to connect the dots. I'm taking the long view, i.e. the merit for the award ins't a linear "do action A which leads directly to result B (world peace.)"

There's a reason the fundamentalists are against education -- it leads people to think for themselves, to take a critical and/or questioning view of what is presented to them, and to expand their horizons. Education is a direct threat to the foundations of most fundamentalist movements. Once people begin to think for themselves, they are much much less likely to blindly act on the demands of some rather charismatic guy who tells them to do something violent because "it's what God/Allah/Yahweh/Zeus wants and demands." In case you hadn't noticed, most of the angst and ire out there today being vented about education is coming from those with a more fundamental bent (and yes, I'm including those folks who are really peeved that evolution is being taught in our schools here in the States.)

Particular to Malala's environment, is that girls/women are being denied even rudimentary access to education. Unfortunately, this is not unique to to her village, her country, her region or even her continent.

If you would care to take an even longer view, you would also note that there is a clear inverse relationship between education level and population growth. You think things are bad today? Wait until the global population begins to fight over shortages of food and potable water -- that's gonna be a real nightmare.

As to the history of the award -- just because the Committee has made some poor selection in the past, that doesn't mean that award should be scrapped. If that were the criteria for value, then neither Boston nor Chicago would have baseball teams ;)

Baseball? What's that? I'm a Brit. Anyway, the Red Sox have beaten the curse of Ruth and Chicago have the Cubs as well as the "Black" Sox.
The other part, I agree with a lot you say and the remainder I feel we will never agree on. That's not to say respecting each others' views. For me I think a peace measure has to be working, law enacted or a hostility ended to qualify otherwise it is pure speculation. I'd love it if what you hope for is realised but I'm too cynical.
Ruthie
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2013 4:31:48 PM

The Nobel Peace Prize for 2013 was awarded on October 5th to The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW). Any news about other nominees is only speculation. The Peace Prize is awarded from a list of nominees that is kept secret for 50 years. Sometimes the person who nominates someone for the prize leaks the information, but the official policy is that nobody knows outside the prize committee. This is the Nobel Peace Prize list of who can nominate. It's pretty broad.

Members of national assemblies and governments of states
• Members of international courts
• University rectors; professors of social sciences, history, philosophy, law and theology; directors of peace research institutes and foreign policy institutes
• Persons who have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize
• Board members of organizations that have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize
• Active and former members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee; (proposals by members of the Committee to be submitted no later than at the first meeting of the Committee after February 1)
• Former advisers to the Norwegian Nobel Committee )

A qualified candidate for the Nobel Prize is someone who has been nominated by a qualified individual. The list is shortened to 20 or 30 names, and the short list is voted on by the award committee. The process takes a little over a year. Nominations for next years prize have been taken since the first of September.
nazhinaz
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:18:37 AM

I am glad that Nobel peace prize Committee did not award Malala this year.
She at 16 has such a long life to attain much more.
Surely she is brave and has stood ground against Talibans.
She was given another life by the docs.in Birmingham.
She spoke openly and did say very positive words for educating the kids from less blessed and under developed countries of the World including her own, Pakistan.
But to attain Nobel peace, let her put in more efforts in her goal.
She surely has an important goal; but she needs to put much more efforts and attain something positive before being awarded Nobel.
BY NOW SHE HAS JUST FIXATED HER GOAL; SHE NEEDS TO PUT EFFORTS TO ATTAIN THE GOAL.
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:06:46 AM

nazhinaz wrote:
I am glad that Nobel peace prize Committee did not award Malala this year.
She at 16 has such a long life to attain much more.
Surely she is brave and has stood ground against Talibans.
She was given another life by the docs.in Birmingham.
She spoke openly and did say very positive words for educating the kids from less blessed and under developed countries of the World including her own, Pakistan.
But to attain Nobel peace, let her put in more efforts in her goal.
She surely has an important goal; but she needs to put much more efforts and attain something positive before being awarded Nobel.
BY NOW SHE HAS JUST FIXATED HER GOAL; SHE NEEDS TO PUT EFFORTS TO ATTAIN THE GOAL.

She has shown more bravery than many people do in their life time, I don't think she did it for the Nobel prize but in my opinion, she should have gotten it.
elitfromnorth
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 5:29:15 PM

Malala is a brave girl, no one will contest that. She stood up against the Taliban and have been a vital spokesperson for education for women in the third world, as well as the rest of the world. No doubt about it. The issue finally has a face and it's someone that the first world has actually fallen in love with. However, has she really done anything? Has she done anything else than light a hope in the world? In my opinion, no. Secondly, she is 16. Does anyone know what a massive prize her head would be for any fundamendalist groups in the world had she been given the peace prize? Lets face it, it's not just the Taliban that are against her, but there are nutjobs in the rest of the world as well that are sympathetic to the extreme islamic views(mostly they're in the west because they get ostrochised from their small local communities). I actually believe she would have been living on borrowed time and schools might have been force to take the choice between letting her go to their school and risking the lives of her fellow pupils, or expelling her. It's an increadibly difficult situation.

EDIT: Likewise, the deadline for nominating people to the peace prize ran out in February. Her major contributions have been after this deadline, so according to the will of Alfred Nobel(which dictates what the recipient must have done to earn it) she's not even close to being eligable for the prize. I have no doubt that she will at some point get it should she continue her work, but not now.

OPCW actually has done something to promote peace. The destruction of weapons is a big step towards peace. Some 75% of the world's chemical weapons have been destroyed so far by them, and now they're heading into the world's biggest chemical weapons cache in Syria. These are truly the unsung heroes, because they don't hold speeches, but prevent children from suffering agonising deaths from Sarin gas.

As for the Nobel committe being biased, they're actually rather broad in the political spectrum. Each party in the Norwegian parliment selects one member to be placed there. Although the current chairman is a humongeous twat that has his eyes on Norway becoming part of the EU and himself as the President of the EU, it's still a broad spectrum of politicians that have managed to piss off China to such a degree that they've cut a lot of ties to Norway, politically and financially. So no, it's not a bunch of stupid commies sitting there.

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
LadyX
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 8:23:53 AM

elitfromnorth wrote:
Does anyone know what a massive prize her head would be for any fundamendalist groups in the world had she been given the peace prize? Lets face it, it's not just the Taliban that are against her, but there are nutjobs in the rest of the world as well that are sympathetic to the extreme islamic views(mostly they're in the west because they get ostrochised from their small local communities). I actually believe she would have been living on borrowed time and schools might have been force to take the choice between letting her go to their school and risking the lives of her fellow pupils, or expelling her. It's an increadibly difficult situation.

With all due respect, I can't think of a more cowardly rationale for not recognizing somebody's bravery and contribution to the struggle for basic individual freedoms. You make a good argument that the chosen recipient is perhaps more worthy, and I can appreciate that on merit. However, it seems to me, that your argument against Malala is exactly what islamofascists want: for the educated and modernized world to look at everything they do through the prism of how rural fundamentalist terrorists might retaliate. They didn't shoot her in the face purely out of hate for her. They did it so that others like her will think twice before doing something so provocative as to....attend school. Let's face it, she's living on borrowed time as it is. She's already drawn the permanent ire of the nutjobs in her home country and beyond. If anything deserves to be done with those folks in mind, it would be to honor her rather than not. I have no doubt that governments such as mine only fuel radical islamists with their rhetoric and actions, but backing down, holding back on saying what is right, looking the other way, and hoping not to upset murderous psychopaths is at least as morally bankrupt as an approach.

Looking back through history, think all of the wonderful, courageous acts that went on to shape the world we live in today. What if Rosa Parks had never insisted on keeping her seat? What if the remaining powers decided it was probably better off to let the Nazis take all the territory they wanted, since they appear to be efficient managers.

What if we let evil go out of fear for what further evil will occur as a result of opposing it?