Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Too much socialite Options · View
overmykneenow
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:35:37 AM

gav wrote:
Trying to retro fit these kind of limits is always going to be hard *sigh*

Reducing the amount of activity displayed isn’t going to help. In order to show the most recent activity we need to aggregate the activity of ALL friends then slice the top records.

Perhaps 200 was a little optimistic  Maybe a cap that would not affect any of our current users but would at least give an upper bounds and deterministic performance. I think 1000 is reasonable.

I bet there isn’t a social site out there that has unlimited friends. Facebook has 5,000 but they have 180k servers and thousands of programmers angry7

I think people would be happier to forego a full aggregated activity feed to keep the opportunity of an unlimited friends list.

A different option could be to adopt the List function of twitter - allowing you to see the activity of a selection of people rather than the full list. You could then allow users to select what information they wanted on that list and who was on on it - you could limit that to as few as 20 friends and I don't think you'd get many complaints. The system could just mirror the current Story Follows utility.

Yes, I can see how the full activity feed does give a "social networky" feel to the site but essentially the site is still an online community with a slight flavouring of social network. When you open up the Lush API it might get more interesting ;)

Out of interest, just have far have you jumped into NoSQL?

Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
BiMale73
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:33:29 AM

There are user accounts that are not used anymore. Sometimes only for a week in 2009 or so. By cleaning up unused profiles, the number of friends will perhaps also drop for some (and profile names will again become available).

That could be a start perhaps.

VanGogh
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 11:15:12 AM

gav wrote:
800 of you extreme socialites.

I think there should be a few new socialite badges and maybe revamp the socialite requirement (as it seems so many easily add and add and add and are a socialite within days) .....

for example ....

over 200 friends = Socialite
from 400 - 899 friends = Extreme Socialite
Over 900 friends = Ultra Socialite

or something like that ..... when one goes to the "next level" , the former badge drops off! :)

geek

I like OMKN's suggestion:

Quote:
A different option could be to adopt the List function of twitter - allowing you to see the activity of a selection of people rather than the full list. You could then allow users to select what information they wanted on that list and who was on on it - you could limit that to as few as 20 friends and I don't think you'd get many complaints. The system could just mirror the current Story Follows utility.

thanks Gav .... for all you do ... Big Hugs

A Milf series combined with Office Sex *fans face* .... The Secretary and The Student
starting with The Secretary and The Student - first part

Enjoy!!

For the Anal Lovers .... come enjoy my RR honoured An Alluring Ass

Another Sex in the Office Poem (I know you love those!!) In Your Office

TxPrincess
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 11:42:59 AM

PersonalAssistant wrote:

I think there should be a few new socialite badges and maybe revamp the socialite requirement (as it seems so many easily add and add and add and are a socialite within days) .....

for example ....

I don't like the uping the badge requirements to 200....I am rather selective and can barely keep the ones I have

VanGogh
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 12:11:37 PM

TxPrincess wrote:

I don't like the uping the badge requirements to 200....I am rather selective and can barely keep the ones I have

haha .... ok .... good luck!

A Milf series combined with Office Sex *fans face* .... The Secretary and The Student

Enjoy!!

gav
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:04:52 PM

overmykneenow wrote:

Out of interest, just have far have you jumped into NoSQL?

Apart from the forum which still runs an RDBMS (Sql Server) we are fully NoSql (we have been for a few years now). It comes with its own challenges, but I think its been the right decision.

The RDBMS crew (MS SQL & Oracle) scale with cash, which we dont have.
crazydiamond
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:21:01 PM

gav wrote:

Apart from the forum which still runs an RDBMS (Sql Server) we are fully NoSql (we have been for a few years now). It comes with its own challenges, but I think its been the right decision.

The RDBMS crew (MS SQL & Oracle) scale with cash, which we dont have.

CREAMS

Boys , boys stop it i can't take it!!! bunny

I BREAK FOR GEEKS!

sprite
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:25:53 PM

PersonalAssistant wrote:

Over 1,500 friends = Spritalite. flower

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/hardcore/west-coast-games-part-one-the-beach.aspx
VanGogh
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:31:29 PM

sprite wrote:

Over 1,500 friends = Spritalite. flower

Exactly!!!! 3601

Enjoy!!

sassycheergirl
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 1:01:41 PM

I know I could go with out seeing who all my friends add...Most of the time that is what takes up all my activity. I would rather see what stories they gave comments to or scores to. :)

*smiles, hugs, and lollipops*

Sassy
Poppet
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 11:19:04 AM

crazydiamond wrote:

CREAMS

Boys , boys stop it i can't take it!!! bunny

I BREAK FOR GEEKS!

I was thinking the same thing. Swoons

naughtyannie
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 9:53:12 PM

Well, the 1000 limit when it came in hit me pretty hard. If I hadn't been turning down maybe 75% of my friend requests over the last 6 months or so, I'd have probably had twice that many... yeah, I know, way too many, but people just kept asking, and it was so hard to say no, especially when they said how much they liked my stories - what writer could possibly resist that sort of come-on?

Anyway, after some drastic and fairly random deleting, I got things down below the limit. But (on behalf of the many Anniemaniacs out there) - no more limits please!

Click on the link below to visit my profile page, for award-winning filthy stories and arousing pics. Go on, it's just one click.

You know you want to...

http://www.lushstories.com/naughtyannie

You don't know what you're missing 'til you try it
sprite
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 11:08:20 PM

naughtyannie wrote:
Well, the 1000 limit when it came in hit me pretty hard. If I hadn't been turning down maybe 75% of my friend requests over the last 6 months or so, I'd have probably had twice that many... yeah, I know, way too many, but people just kept asking, and it was so hard to say no, especially when they said how much they liked my stories - what writer could possibly resist that sort of come-on?

Anyway, after some drastic and fairly random deleting, I got things down below the limit. But (on behalf of the many Anniemaniacs out there) - no more limits please!

*nods* i spent several days trimming down to 999 - at present, in order to add anyone, i have to delete someone, just so people are aware and don't take it personally if they suddenly get dropped or aren't added upon request.

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/hardcore/west-coast-games-part-one-the-beach.aspx
DebbyDare
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:41:12 AM

Ya just a bunch o spoilsports so ya are!!!!