Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Random things you always wanted to know Options · View
DanielleX
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2013 12:33:37 PM

Why do fruity teas smell so nice but taste of fuck all?

Jam_Wil_Mac
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2013 12:51:19 PM

Because the aroma from the brew in the water is very strong, but there is very little flavour from the leaves transferred to the water. However, most people will find that as taste and smell are so closely linked, that the smell of the tea informs that taste and that creates the sensation of a flavour. But you may have a slightly weaker sense of smell or a very acute sense of taste.

The Doctor

~ "Oh, now what's this, then? I love this. A big, flashy-lighty thing. That's what brought me here. Big, flashy-lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually, but give me time... and a crayon.”

~ “I'd forgotten not all victories are about saving the universe.”

~ “900 years of time and space and I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important.”

~ “I am, and always will be, the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes, and the dreamer of improbable dreams.”
DanielleX
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 12:36:32 AM

Jam_Wil_Mac wrote:
Because the aroma from the brew in the water is very strong, but there is very little flavour from the leaves transferred to the water. However, most people will find that as taste and smell are so closely linked, that the smell of the tea informs that taste and that creates the sensation of a flavour. But you may have a slightly weaker sense of smell or a very acute sense of taste.

Hmmm... that's a nice answer. I like that, thanks

Danielle xx

DanielleX
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 11:01:45 AM

Another one...

Why does it burn your mouth if you drink water after you've been sucking mints?

Dani
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 11:04:33 AM

How come fruit flavored candy never tastes like the actual fruit they're supposed to be flavored after, yet we can all identify it by taste?

For example, cherry flavored candy doesn't taste like actual cherries...but we can all taste said candy and identify the flavor as cherry.

Baby put your arms around me, tell me I'm a problem...

Magical_felix
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 11:10:08 AM

slipperywhenwet2012 wrote:
How come fruit flavored candy never tastes like the actual fruit they're supposed to be flavored after, yet we can all identify it by taste?

For example, cherry flavored candy doesn't taste like actual cherries...but we can all taste said candy and identify the flavor as cherry.

I read somewhere that the artificial banana flavor they use in things was created from a banana that is now extinct or really hard to find, can't remember. People just got used to it and the flavor is still used today. That is why it doesn't taste like the kind of bananas we find in the grocery store.

Dancewithme
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 12:26:56 PM

What is going on with bananas anyway? There is one brand I buy, DelMonte that tastes like a banana and I'll drive the 5 or so extra miles to buy them.
But the other major brand is very different now. I has thicker skin that stays green and the soft banana, the edible part, adheres to the reeded interior of the skin. Then it is either rubbery, or "mealy." I taste little sweetness in them.
For years we had small hard rocks and they sold them to us as "peaches." But we knew they were not real untampered with peaches. Their pits also fell apart or into halves when you opened them.
So again, what is going on with bananas on the market today?

“There are those whose primary ability is to spin wheels of manipulation. It is their second skin and without these spinning wheels, they simply do not know how to function. They are like toys on wheels of manipulation and control. If you remove one of the wheels, they'll never be able to feel secure, be whole.” ― C. JoyBell C.
Jam_Wil_Mac
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 12:49:28 PM

DanielleX wrote:
Another one...

Why does it burn your mouth if you drink water after you've been sucking mints?

The chemical in mints (taken from menthol plants) heightens the body's nervous sensations to cold by producing chemicals in the body similar to those that pronounce cold feeling, so if you were to rub menthol on your skin, you would feel cold more acutely, but heat slightly less so, and after having a mint your mouth feels the cold of water much more, but hot tea or food is more bareable.

The Doctor

~ "Oh, now what's this, then? I love this. A big, flashy-lighty thing. That's what brought me here. Big, flashy-lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually, but give me time... and a crayon.”

~ “I am, and always will be, the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes, and the dreamer of improbable dreams.”
Jam_Wil_Mac
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 12:52:45 PM

Without boring you all too much, it is simply because we are told it tastes like cherry. That familiar smell and taste of cherry sweets is so ingrained in our minds that even though we know it tastes different from actual cherries, we know what taste it represents.

As for why, it is very hard to exactly replicate flavours, as different people have different levels and quality of taste, so it could be what one person believes cherry tasted liked or just as close as they could get.

The Doctor

DanielleX
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 1:53:22 PM

Jam_Wil_Mac wrote:

The chemical in mints (taken from menthol plants) heightens the body's nervous sensations to cold by producing chemicals in the body similar to those that pronounce cold feeling, so if you were to rub menthol on your skin, you would feel cold more acutely, but heat slightly less so, and after having a mint your mouth feels the cold of water much more, but hot tea or food is more bareable.

Thank you. That makes sense.

D x

bigbubblygurlnc
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 3:15:39 PM

What is this box everyone speaks of and why do I always have to think outside of it?
Dani
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 3:21:12 PM

Who was the first to say, "Hmm. Look at this egg. I shall crack it and fry what's inside and eat it."?

Alex7
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 4:23:33 PM

Ok, I know this is kind of random, but this is as good a place as any. I would like to know what would happen if you were to put your head in the Large Hadron Collider in CERN. Any ideas anyone?

Sometimes the fun comes below the waistline, sunshine.
Jam_Wil_Mac
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 4:25:42 PM

Who was the first to say, "Hmm. Look at this egg. I shall crack it and fry what's inside and eat it."?

Probably a Neanderthal saw a small mammal eating an egg an decides to try one himself. Then once man had discovered fire and realised foods were better hot/cook, then tried it with an egg.

The Doctor

Dani
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 3:46:14 PM

How come we assume that Humpty Dumpty was an egg?
And how come we assume that Humpty Dumpty was a dude?

Jam_Wil_Mac
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 4:25:34 PM

Alex7 wrote:
Ok, I know this is kind of random, but this is as good a place as any. I would like to know what would happen if you were to put your head in the Large Hadron Collider in CERN. Any ideas anyone?

In exact physical terms, we don't exactly know what would happen to you when the LHC was function as standard, a lot of the experiments that are going on may be able to answer that as we learn how matter acts and reacts. But you would certainly die, quite quickly and quite graphically.

My best bet, and this us a guess, is that you would burn up and disintegrate from the heat and collisions of the particals.

The Doctor

Jam_Wil_Mac
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 4:33:01 PM

How come we assume that Humpty Dumpty was an egg?
And how come we assume that Humpty Dumpty was a dude?

Looking it up, humpty is assumed a man because sadly in the past men were the dominant gender and so people assumed he was a bloke. Also, the first drawing of Humpty was as an egg, so it was an artist's imagining that started it all.

The Doctor

Dani
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 4:58:29 PM

Why does fat chance and slim chance mean the same thing?

Is the color orange called that because it’s the color of the fruit of the same name, or was the fruit called orange because that’s its color? Which came first, the color or the fruit?

Why is there a pair of panties but only one bra?

How can someone be dirt poor and the other be filthy rich?

Why is a wise man the opposite of a wise guy?

Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 5:28:47 PM

I've always wanted to know what the fuck. No, seriously, what the fuck?
Poppet
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 8:16:22 PM

Is the color orange called that because it’s the color of the fruit of the same name, or was the fruit called orange because that’s its color? Which came first, the color or the fruit?

You have a lot of sleepless nights, don't you, Dani? lol

Jam_Wil_Mac
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 2:43:09 AM

Fat chance and slim chance mean the same thing because fat chance is meant sarcastically and ironically. The exact opposite of slim chance. Ironic and sarcastic.

Fruit came first. The Greeks called it an orange. They had no word for the colour orange, their closest word would have been light-red. The colour orange got it's name from the fruit.

Pair of panties and one bra... I have no idea.

Dirt poor and filthy rich are both insults. The dirt/filth is emphasising the person's negative qualities in the term.

Wise guy is, again, a sarcastic, ironic term. Also, when used, it is usually used about someone who is trying to be smart.

The Doctor

Dani
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 7:32:04 AM

Jam_Wil_Mac wrote:

Fat chance and slim chance mean the same thing because fat chance is meant sarcastically and ironically. The exact opposite of slim chance. Ironic and sarcastic.

Dirt poor and filthy rich are both insults. The dirt/filth is emphasising the person's negative qualities in the term.

Wise guy is, again, a sarcastic, ironic term. Also, when used, it is usually used about someone who is trying to be smart.

Yes, I know each term has negative and/or sarcastic connotations...but I want to know why.

Dani
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 7:33:54 AM

Poppet wrote:

You have a lot of sleepless nights, don't you, Dani? lol

Not really. My mind mostly wanders when I'm supposed to be doing something productive...like looking over lab reports or something else conducive to what I plan on doing for a living. Embarassed

Jam_Wil_Mac
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 7:49:16 AM

Yes, I know each term has negative and/or sarcastic connotations...but I want to know why.

They exist as sarcastic terminology because their opposite, genuine phrase exists. They have be born of, or grown out of, the original genuine phrase.

Doing further research, fat chance may also be a social reference to a fat person's chances in various occassions or events in life.

Wise guy is purely a sarcastic reference to being wise or trying to be smart.

The Doctor

Poppet
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 7:50:51 AM

Not really. My mind mostly wanders when I'm supposed to be doing something productive...like looking over lab reports or something else conducive to what I plan on doing for a living. Embarassed

Ah, yes, this makes more sense. I should have known better.

Dani
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 7:59:18 AM

Jam_Wil_Mac wrote:

They exist as sarcastic terminology because their opposite, genuine phrase exists. They have be born of, or grown out of, the original genuine phrase.

Doing further research, fat chance may also be a social reference to a fat person's chances in various occassions or events in life.

Wise guy is purely a sarcastic reference to being wise or trying to be smart.

I know...but why?

Jam_Wil_Mac
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 8:10:24 AM

I know...but why?

The same reason any phrase develops. One person used it, then another and another and it eventually stuck. Just borne out of one person's mind. Shakespeare coined, for sure, at least 80 words that are commonly used in English today (nonetheless, ladybug, happenstance to name a few). No-one had thought of these words before Shakespeare. The same with these phrases, one person thought them up and it stuck. They make sense and appealed to people as they were simple and conveyeda message effectively and efficiently.

The Doctor

Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 11:04:57 AM

Is dark matter more dense than the volume consumed by black holes?
Jam_Wil_Mac
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 11:43:19 AM

Reading up on it, according to Stephen Hawking's work as well as the work of other, black holes are the most dense things in the universe. (Black holes have never been 100% conclusively proved, but there is overwhelming evidence of their existence). Dark matter on the other hand while incredibly dense in itself, it would seem is a lot less so than a black hole.

The Doctor

LASARDaddy
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 2:23:52 PM

Stephen Hawking was 7 months older than me. I have every book he wrote.

Current theory says that that Dark Matter makes up about 85% of all matter in the universe. The new Keck and VLA telescopes allow a much better view and they're discovering that every galaxy has a massive one at the center. They now think that there are trillions of them throughout the universe. The one at the center of the Milky Way galaxy is thought to be more than 4 million times the mass of our sun.

They also theorize that they will create microscopic ones when the CERN collider comes fully on line. That scares the crap out of me. If it wasn't for our dumb ass government we'd have that in the DFW area.

I am always a gentleman.