Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

What is everyone's opinions on Mormons? Options · View
swlover1
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 6:22:43 PM

Rank: Rookie Scribe

Joined: 11/27/2011
Posts: 5
Location: United States
I'm posting this new topic just to get an idea of how everyone feels about the Mormon/LDS faith. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with any of their beliefs. I am just curious about the opinions on this particular group of people. What have you heard? Do you know one? Are you one?
countrygirl58
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 8:09:22 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 5/22/2012
Posts: 275
I am not a mormom but I live in Arizona and there are alot here. I have had one minor thing with one. They have young men go around and usually on bikes spreading the mormom religion. They stopped and asked if they could help us pull up some solar lights and my great niece and nephew were helping and I said thank U but we can handle it. One of them started talking to me about my beliefs and I said kindly I was brought up in my faith and I don't plan on changing. He then came out and said U do know U live in a mormom cummunity? So I asked does that mean I should put my house up for sale and move? I said have a good night and the kids and I came in the house. I was a little disturbed by this. But I do have a neighbor who is one also and doesn't do that in fact we talk about her religion and mine.
ohioboy75
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 9:38:29 PM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 11/18/2013
Posts: 17
Location: United States
This like asking what a person's opinion is of Catholics, then saying you don't mean from a religious perspective.

People are people. There are good ones, there are bad ones and 80% is just normal run of the mill folks. I've been inside Amish communities, Mormon, Hindu, and Muslim and once you get down to it every religion has those extremists, then some ardent followers and the majority are flowing between lapsing / active at any moment.
swlover1
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:10:01 PM

Rank: Rookie Scribe

Joined: 11/27/2011
Posts: 5
Location: United States
ohioboy75 wrote:
This like asking what a person's opinion is of Catholics, then saying you don't mean from a religious perspective.

People are people. There are good ones, there are bad ones and 80% is just normal run of the mill folks. I've been inside Amish communities, Mormon, Hindu, and Muslim and once you get down to it every religion has those extremists, then some ardent followers and the majority are flowing between lapsing / active at any moment.


No, I did mean from a religious perspective. All I said was that I didn't agree or disagree. I never said for anyone else to be middle of the road with them.
danni69
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:17:54 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 5/8/2011
Posts: 202
Location: orlando, United States
1 thing for sure every one know 1 or more
ohioboy75
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:26:56 PM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 11/18/2013
Posts: 17
Location: United States
Apologies

With a history of polygamy and the "third" book of Christ it has always been characterized as a fringe religion by other organizations -- with some going so far as requesting the Government to classify the religion as a cult.

As a whole, I don't believe the premiss of their religion so it is hard for me to support it. But if it helps people find love and treat each other fairly and with equality then all for it.

Sadly in light of Jeffs it also has a scary dark side.
trinket
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 7:33:11 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/5/2012
Posts: 9,949
Location: Nowhere near you, Australia
swlover1 wrote:
I'm posting this new topic just to get an idea of how everyone feels about the Mormon/LDS faith. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with any of their beliefs. I am just curious about the opinions on this particular group of people. What have you heard? Do you know one? Are you one?




'particular group of people'? We are all human beings. Some of us have a religious faith, some of us work, some have children, some are married etc. We all eat, sleep, shower etc. I really can't see how they are different to anyone else.

I'd like to ask you the same question: I'm interested to know how you feel about the Devout/Catholic faith. I'm curious about your opinion on this particular group of people. Is it possible for you to answer that because in my opinion, your question is redundant.




swlover1
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 3:17:58 PM

Rank: Rookie Scribe

Joined: 11/27/2011
Posts: 5
Location: United States
trinket wrote:




'particular group of people'? We are all human beings. Some of us have a religious faith, some of us work, some have children, some are married etc. We all eat, sleep, shower etc. I really can't see how they are different to anyone else.

I'd like to ask you the same question: I'm interested to know how you feel about the Devout/Catholic faith. I'm curious about your opinion on this particular group of people. Is it possible for you to answer that because in my opinion, your question is redundant.




In answer to your "question": From what I've heard the Catholic church is the largest organized religion in the world. However they are not the fastest growing. The LDS church to the best of my knowledge is the fastest growing. As far as what the Catholic's beliefs, while I admit I do not know everything they believe, I disagree with with them on what I do know. For example, I do not agree with the concept of the Trinity or infant baptism. Neither of those make sense to me. Now as far the 'people' go, since that seems to be the only part of the question you care to notice: Most of the Catholics I have met do not seem to be very involved in their religion. Most were the kind of people to only go to church twice a year and never mention it the rest of the year. Now I'm sure many Catholics very actively go to church every Sunday, but those people seem few and far between to me. Maybe I'm wrong but that's just my opinion based on what I've seen.

You wanted an answer and there you have it. It's short but it's my opinion of the Catholics and an example of the kind of answers I'm looking for. Saying that they're just like everyone else doesn't add anything to the discussion. Now whether your opinions on Mormons are positive or negative, feel free to say them. A middle of the road, fence sitting answer does nothing for anyone.
trinket
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 3:41:59 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/5/2012
Posts: 9,949
Location: Nowhere near you, Australia
swlover1 wrote:


In answer to your "question": From what I've heard the Catholic church is the largest organized religion in the world. However they are not the fastest growing. The LDS church to the best of my knowledge is the fastest growing. As far as what the Catholic's beliefs, while I admit I do not know everything they believe, I disagree with with them on what I do know. For example, I do not agree with the concept of the Trinity or infant baptism. Neither of those make sense to me. Now as far the 'people' go, since that seems to be the only part of the question you care to notice: Most of the Catholics I have met do not seem to be very involved in their religion. Most were the kind of people to only go to church twice a year and never mention it the rest of the year. Now I'm sure many Catholics very actively go to church every Sunday, but those people seem few and far between to me. Maybe I'm wrong but that's just my opinion based on what I've seen.

You wanted an answer and there you have it. It's short but it's my opinion of the Catholics and an example of the kind of answers I'm looking for. Saying that they're just like everyone else doesn't add anything to the discussion. Now whether your opinions on Mormons are positive or negative, feel free to say them. A middle of the road, fence sitting answer does nothing for anyone.



The question of the 'people' was not the only part of the question I cared to notice. I asked you the exact question you asked me. Saying they are just like everyone else does not add to the discussion? I believe your opening post asked for opinions. My opinion is they are human beings, and the same as anyone else. That you don't agree with it is of no consequence to me, I took some of my time to post on your thread. Thank you for your answer to my question re Catholicism.

Happy Lushing.

dpw
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 4:03:40 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/15/2013
Posts: 2,713
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
swlover1 wrote:
I'm posting this new topic just to get an idea of how everyone feels about the Mormon/LDS faith. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with any of their beliefs. I am just curious about the opinions on this particular group of people. What have you heard? Do you know one? Are you one?

Why do you ask, are you one?
The thread appears to have been posted because of the thread on atheism. That was about a non religion as opposed to all religions, you single out catholics but fail to which type.
I just don't understand what the point of the thread is.
swlover1
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 4:06:06 PM

Rank: Rookie Scribe

Joined: 11/27/2011
Posts: 5
Location: United States
trinket wrote:



The question of the 'people' was not the only part of the question I cared to notice. I asked you the exact question you asked me. Saying they are just like everyone else does not add to the discussion? I believe your opening post asked for opinions. My opinion is they are human beings, and the same as anyone else. That you don't agree with it is of no consequence to me, I took some of my time to post on your thread. Thank you for your answer to my question re Catholicism.

Happy Lushing.


"The question of the 'people' was not the only part of the question I cared to notice." It wasn't? That was the first and only thing you quoted and answered. Your original answer did more to attack the question than answer anything. And though you are welcome to your opinion, to me your answer was like judging a beauty contest and saying everyone wins because your all beautiful inside. Yeah it's a nice thought but no one got anything from it. Thank you for taking your precious "time" to add your opinion.
trinket
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 4:12:05 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/5/2012
Posts: 9,949
Location: Nowhere near you, Australia
swlover1 wrote:


"The question of the 'people' was not the only part of the question I cared to notice." It wasn't? That was the first and only thing you quoted and answered. Your original answer did more to attack the question than answer anything. And though you are welcome to your opinion, to me your answer was like judging a beauty contest and saying everyone wins because your all beautiful inside. Yeah it's a nice thought but no one got anything from it. Thank you for taking your precious "time" to add your opinion.



Good luck with getting any more 'opinions' on your questions. People who start threads on the lush forums are usually happy to get any responses to their questions, regardless of whether the poster believes them or not. I'm out, not going to waste any more of my precious time on you or your thread.




swlover1
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 4:13:55 PM

Rank: Rookie Scribe

Joined: 11/27/2011
Posts: 5
Location: United States
dpw wrote:

Why do you ask, are you one?
The thread appears to have been posted because of the thread on atheism. That was about a non religion as opposed to all religions, you single out catholics but fail to which type.
I just don't understand what the point of the thread is.


No I am not one. The point of this thread is just curiosity to see how every one feels about them. I've heard a lot of things and was just wondering what others had to say. I'm not sure what atheism thread your talking about. Also I never really singled out Catholics. Other people who posted on here did though.
LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 4:24:31 PM

Rank: Thread Mediator

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,658
Location: United States
swlover1 wrote:
I'm posting this new topic just to get an idea of how everyone feels about the Mormon/LDS faith. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with any of their beliefs. I am just curious about the opinions on this particular group of people. What have you heard? Do you know one? Are you one?


They're interesting because of all the Judeo-Christian faiths, they're the only one that are truly American. Their 'origin story' is set in modern day US, and their promised land is as well. They consider themselves Christian, though many if not most Christian churches don't return that consideration. I'm not sure why or how they've been so successful in growing their church, but in Utah and parts of Idaho, Nevada, and Arizona, they're the majority of the population and have a very extensive business network.
dpw
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 5:04:39 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/15/2013
Posts: 2,713
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
LadyX wrote:


They're interesting because of all the Judeo-Christian faiths, they're the only one that are truly American. Their 'origin story' is set in modern day US, and their promised land is as well. They consider themselves Christian, though many if not most Christian churches don't return that consideration. I'm not sure why or how they've been so successful in growing their church, but in Utah and parts of Idaho, Nevada, and Arizona, they're the majority of the population and have a very extensive business network.

That's not true what about Christian Science, Jehovah's Witness and Seventh Day Adventist they were all American.
LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 5:19:11 PM

Rank: Thread Mediator

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,658
Location: United States
None of them recognize their Zion as a place in America.
lleiffermawr
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 5:20:48 PM

Rank: Advanced Wordsmith

Joined: 11/17/2013
Posts: 48
Location: United States
I was raised in a dual religious household, LDS and Wicca. Many people I talk too don't understand how I can actively be involved in both and all I can say is that is between myself and the Powers that Be.
Guest
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2013 8:18:31 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 470,161
lleiffermawr wrote:
I was raised in a dual religious household, LDS and Wicca. Many people I talk too don't understand how I can actively be involved in both and all I can say is that is between myself and the Powers that Be.


That is a first for me. Interesting. Hmmm.
kornslayer1
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 5:55:18 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 4/1/2011
Posts: 571
Location: Mishawaka, United States
I guess I don't approve. How can doing it different women work? That's a head scratcher.

Thanks for reading my posts, now go to my profile, and check out my stories.
If you have, thanks for reading. It's always appreciated. I know I don't have a Recommended read, or Editors choice, but I think you'll be happy with any story you choose. I write the way I write, and try my best.

Highwayman
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 6:12:34 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/10/2012
Posts: 1,498
Another translation of an age old myth that puts a twist on the story. Everyone loves something new and fresh. Or, what is already there, isn't doing the trick, so hell, why not?

Honestly, a book transcribed from preternatural forces by one man. Seems a little done. Love to see a rendition where women decipher the code, and reveal the truth that woman and her understanding are the truth and the light.

Lilith Fair 2014.



‎"The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible." --Wilde
Dani
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 6:33:43 PM

Rank: Penguin Wrangler

Joined: 12/25/2010
Posts: 4,012
Location: Under Your Bed, United States
Not sure how/why this topic has raised so much ire. And I'm not sure how I even missed this thread altogether.

Anyhoo, I actually have the same sentiments as Xuani. My absolute best friend is of the Mormon faith, and I had some misconceptions about them until he cleared them up for me. His mission to Salt Lake City was interesting (going by bike is optional, by the way). I won't delve into it too deeply as I'd probably screw some stuff up.

But as far as my friend goes, he comes from a family of devout Mormons. They're all really good people and his dad gave me this really awesome apple pie recipe when he found out how much I love baking. Also, the multiple wife thing is very sensationalized...and not at all a requirement. He came from a one-wife household. The more you know...

And I'm not basing all Mormons off of this one family, of course, but they're the only Mormons I've ever met and they're good people.



We're tiny. We're toony. We're all a little looney. And in this cartoony, we're invading your TV.

Morlin
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 7:01:11 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 5/30/2013
Posts: 270
Location: Lewis, United States
I have no opinion on Mormons: Just like I have no opinion on Amish people.
BiMale73
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 7:23:28 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 7/4/2013
Posts: 298
Location: Basement
I'm sure there are many nice Mormon people, but this South Park episode quite accurately sums up my opinion about the religion:



Joseph Smith was a convicted con man who, in an attempt to add some credibility, wrote the Book of Mormon in a language resembling an older form of English used some centuries earlier.

Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.