Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Throw Away? Options · View
glenem
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2013 4:53:28 PM

When editing your stories, do you keep the deleted paragraphs/phrases etc that didn't work in your final draft?

Dancing_Doll
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2013 5:28:53 PM

No. When I delete, it's usually for a reason, meaning that I can say it better or the concept doesn't work. I haven't written and then deleted an entire sex scene yet, but if it was a substantial scene I'd put thought into but then dropped it from a particular story because it didn't quite work, I can see myself maybe saving it for future ideas/stories. It just hasn't happened yet for me. I delete everything I edit out.

JasonM
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2013 6:24:19 PM

I don't delete, but move them to a different tab in my Scrivener. I've had a couple instances when a section I originally removed from a story actually worked in a later spot.

Once the story is completed and uploaded/accepted, then the 'scrap' tab is removed.

"I'm not dark and moody, I just dress that way" - JM

A love poem : Dark Eyes - Now with audio recorded by myself
Another poem : Let Me Show You
A short story : Dark Knight, Shining Lady
My third poem : Morning Delight
My Competition Entry : Pain and Pleasure
glenem
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 5:22:35 AM

I'm currently editing my story to be uploaded today, but as I started to proof read I found about three or four phrases/paragraphs that didn't fit in with the story, so I thought I'd use them for something else.

Happy Holidays occasion1
buttercup2u
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 5:22:45 AM

I tend to keep things I have edited from a story or poem, I find, like many others, that just because it doesn't work in that particular story, doesn't mean its a bad idea, just that it isn't the place for it.
Wilful
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 4:00:08 PM

If I think the section I need to take out is particularly good, or might come in handy again, I'll hold onto it for a bit, either pushing it down the page or pasting it into another document. But once I move past the point where I don't need it anymore, I just bin it.

Funnily enough though, the half dozen or so times I've done this so far, I've only salvaged maybe a sentence or two. But still...you never know.

Please check out my latest story, Sleeping Over
kornslayer1
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 7:25:37 PM

No, because they are just so small, I don't know what else I could do with them.

Thanks for reading, or looking at my posts, now go to my profile, and check out my stories.
If you have, thanks for reading. It's always appreciated. I know I don't have a Recommended read, or Editors choice for you to choose from, but I think you'll be happy with any story you choose. I write the way I write, and try my best. I know a lot of you like my stories that was in the removed category, but I hope you can appreciate the rest of them. Check this one out.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/taboo/my-step-brother-wants-me.aspx