Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Is Chris Christie Done For? Options · View
DainJay
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 12:03:10 PM

News recently broke that NJ Governor Chris Christie and his staff deliberately caused traffic problems for a NJ city and its innocent residents because said city's mayor does not endorse Christie. See Story. Obviously this is incredibly petty and many people are saying that his career and any chance of a presidency or even nomination are done for. Do you agree? Or do you think he can still come back from this and at least get the GOP nomination?

Click The Pic
ByronLord
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:10:49 PM

DainJay wrote:
News recently broke that NJ Governor Chris Christie and his staff deliberately caused traffic problems for a NJ city and its innocent residents because said city's mayor does not endorse Christie. See Story. Obviously this is incredibly petty and many people are saying that his career and any chance of a presidency or even nomination are done for. Do you agree? Or do you think he can still come back from this and at least get the GOP nomination?

He had no real chance at the nomination before so it has not really hurt his chances. Every year there is a candidate that we are told is 'a moderate' who has to get the nomination. That worked when Ailes at Fox News installed George W. Bush as president but hasn't since.

Every year the social conservatives back the Republicans in the hope of getting their racist bigoted agenda passed and every time they get nothing out of it because even if they get elected, most GOP pols realize there is nothing to be gained from it. Christie won't even kiss the ring of the social conservatives and he can't because the only reason he is considered 'bipartisan' is that he is moderate on social issues.

Other than that he is just another New Jersey pol and the state is one of the most conspicuously corrupt in the country. This scandal is going to take down plenty of New Jersey dems along with Christie. And the national dems don't care.

So far there is proof beyond reasonable doubt that Kelly, Christie's deputy chief of staff ordered the bridge closed to cause traffic problems 'time for traffic in fort lee'. The deputy chief of staff typically controls the governors agenda and who meets with him (along with the CoS). So we have a person with a direct connection to Christie proven guilty beyond doubt. Meanwhile Wildstein, the guy who pled the fifth is promising to sing if only he gets immunity. The only people he can implicate who are more important than Kelly are Christie and his CoS, O'Dowd.

Meanwhile the motive for the delay turns out to not be petty payback for not endorsing the Governor. There is a massive development costing a billion dollars on the land right next to the bridge. Its a development the mafia tried to make happen several times in the past and they have succeeded in scuttling several previous efforts. The toll booth closures came when the city was trying to close funding for the project.

Although the issue has not been proved beyond doubt yet, by far the most plausible explanation is that the mob offered to support Christie with campaign ads if Christie would sink the development project on 'their' land. Christie ordered his goons to close the bridge verbally so as to not leave any trail.

Whether proven or not, the only way Christie could win is if Ailes decided he had the best chance of winning the White House against Clinton. And he is obviously very damaged and could well be impeached and possibly indicted before the election. So there is really no reason to back Christie now.

The other problem is the Katrina effect. Katrina didn't sink Bush's popularity just because the storm response was incompetent. The bigger issue was that once he was seen to be incompetent on that subject, people questioned his competence elsewhere. Christie is now having to fight accusations he closed the bridge to bully Fort Lee. Even if that is never proved, the guy is a horrible boorish slob who frequently bullies people on camera. That may look good once or twice. It is different seeing a politician speaking their mind. But after the third blow up in a day on the campaign trail... he would tank horribly.

LadyX
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:41:53 PM

His demise on the national level is for the best. Clearly he's ill-equipped for the White House if he can't even execute a few dirty lane closures without getting busted. That's small-potatoes. What happens when he decides to let a few diplomats die in Benghazi? This is where Obama's managerial chops really shine by comparison.
DainJay
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:23:53 PM

LadyX wrote:
His demise on the national level is for the best. Clearly he's ill-equipped for the White House if he can't even execute a few dirty lane closures without getting busted. That's small-potatoes. What happens when he decides to let a few diplomats die in Benghazi? This is where Obama's managerial chops really shine by comparison.

True that. I was more concerned with the idea of having a president who resorts to such pettiness but one who cant even get away with said pettiness is equally concerning lol.

Click The Pic
ByronLord
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 4:24:50 PM

LadyX wrote:

Four CIA agents working under diplomatic cover in the aftermath of a regime change that eliminated a major state sponsor of terror. Thats not quite the same as 6,000 US troops and 500,000 civilians dead as a result of an incompetent attempt at invading Iraq.

The House members currently grandstanding on Benghazzi are the same ones who earlier rejected proposals to increase spending on embassy security. So there is a strong whiff of hypocrisy. And Daryl 'car thief' Issa can hardly investigate someone for allegedly bending the truth when his modus operandi is to take depositions and selectively leak from them to give misleading info.

LadyX
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 4:26:43 PM

ByronLord wrote:

Four CIA agents working under diplomatic cover in the aftermath of a regime change that eliminated a major state sponsor of terror. Thats not quite the same as 6,000 US troops and 500,000 civilians dead as a result of an incompetent attempt at invading Iraq.

The House members currently grandstanding on Benghazzi are the same ones who earlier rejected proposals to increase spending on embassy security. So there is a strong whiff of hypocrisy. And Daryl 'car thief' Issa can hardly investigate someone for allegedly bending the truth when his modus operandi is to take depositions and selectively leak from them to give misleading info.

I was employing sarcasm. The world obviously needs to designate a font for it.
Buz
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 4:50:01 PM

I wouldn't accuse Chris Christie of being competent, but he is as competent as Obama.

People easily forget about anything scandalwise. The standards are very low anymore.

I never thought Christie would get the GOP nomination anyhow. While competence evidently isn't a factor for president anymore, charisma is. Chris Christie doesn't have sustainable charisma. He's pretty much an asshole. Any long term exposure to the media would show his despicable side.

Charisma and the ability to read a teleprompter like a network news anchor are the 2 main things the average American voter looks for in a candidate.

I have written a new poem. It is called 'Long Twisty Woman.'
You can read it at: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/long-twisty-woman.aspxx
Also, if you wish, check out my co-authored a story with the wonderful DanielleX. It is called 'Focus on Sex.'
You can read it at: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/quickie-sex/focused-on-sex-1.aspx

DainJay
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 5:20:06 PM

Buz wrote:
I wouldn't accuse Chris Christie of being competent, but he is as competent as Obama.

People easily forget about anything scandalwise. The standards are very low anymore.

I never thought Christie would get the GOP nomination anyhow. While competence evidently isn't a factor for president anymore, charisma is. Chris Christie doesn't have sustainable charisma. He's pretty much an asshole. Any long term exposure to the media would show his despicable side.

Charisma and the ability to read a teleprompter like a network news anchor are the 2 main things the average American voter looks for in a candidate.

Thats all very true! I hadn't thought about those aspects needed to get the nomination. I guess I kind of hoped/still hope that he gets the nomination. While he's not great he is progressive and far better than more than half the other archaic and down right stupid GOP eligible nominees. I'm just not sure that he can recover very well from this particular display of childishness.

Click The Pic
Haineko
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 5:24:07 PM

LadyX wrote:

red is what I've used other places.

comp story: The Sweetest Number Thank you to everyone who read, voted and/or commened on my comp story. Wish me luck!

Collaboration
no title yet: Lesbian story written with BabyDollSlave

Under construction
Writing: Aphrodite's Gift ch1 (Fantasy/Sci-fi)
Editing: None
Awaiting verification: None

my latest
My Dark Lover ch1 (supernatural)
ByronLord
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 5:47:16 PM

LadyX wrote:

Trying to pivot to Benghazzziii is the GOP talking point on Christie. Its kind of stupid because it is rather obvious that a billion dollar real estate fraud is going to bring down pols on both sides of the aisle. There are plenty of democratic governors who have been bent, Blagoiovich in Illinois just went to pokey for corruption. That Detroit Mayor and so on.

What a lot of the corruptest pols have in common is having 'bipartisan' supporters. If a Dem is supporting a Republican or vice versa it is often because they are in on some joint scam that needs both parties to cooperate to steal the cash.

MadMartigan
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 5:56:21 PM

LadyX wrote:

evil4

On the STLTODAY forum I frequent for sports, we utilize the blue font for the old codgers to signify sarcasm.

Sadly, even then, they still think we're serious and are thus the brunt of many jokes regarding "the blue font." Regaeman Man
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 7:52:09 PM

He was never going to get the GOP nomination. I knew something stunk behind the scenes when Mitt Romney vetted him and ran for the hills. I don't like him at all and I enjoy watching him become exposed for what he is. His bullying behavior is a disgrace and he has gotten away with it for far too long. New Jersey politics and the mafia go hand in hand and when they start digging deeply into what happened with the Hurricane Sandy money maybe someone will uncover who got what contracts and who they really are. His public persona is a far cry from his private one and his so called charm made New Jerseyites drink his version of the Jamestown koolaid.
jeremiahbull
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 12:34:15 AM

LadyX wrote:

Nailed it!
jeremiahbull
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 12:40:55 AM

NickiC wrote:
He was never going to get the GOP nomination. I knew something stunk behind the scenes when Mitt Romney vetted him and ran for the hills. I don't like him at all and I enjoy watching him become exposed for what he is. His bullying behavior is a disgrace and he has gotten away with it for far too long. New Jersey politics and the mafia go hand in hand and when they start digging deeply into what happened with the Hurricane Sandy money maybe someone will uncover who got what contracts and who they really are. His public persona is a far cry from his private one and his so called charm made New Jerseyites drink his version of the Jamestown koolaid.

Jon Corzine? Another NJ governor that stinks to high heaven. You probably can't get elected governor of NJ without getting in bed with the mafia. I'm wondering if the only difference between NJ and IL is that they don't get caught as often in NJ. Something like 3 out of the last IL governors have done prison time.