Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Smoking ban Options · View
lafayettemister
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 6:54:02 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/4/2010
Posts: 6,343
Location: Alabama, United States
NYC may ban e-cigarettes b/c they look too much like the real thing..

And other reasons. Such as...

"The health commissioner, Dr. Thomas A. Farley, said electronic cigarettes were such a recent invention that he could not say whether they were hazardous to the health of those smoking them or those that might breathe in second hand vapor."





When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Guest
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 7:19:07 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,817
Magma_Boils_333 wrote:
I fully support bans on smoking in public, if smokers want to surround themselves in a cloud of toxic fumes and poison themselves that's their choice but they should not be able to poison others with the filthy habit.


I don't care if you smoke but I don't want to smoke with you. Puff away in your own space where no one else has to inhale it. I don't even want to walk by it. Unlike many habits this one actually affects the living and breathing space of others.
Guest
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 7:47:47 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,817
I like total smoke banns in restaurants, public buildings, planes and trains.
peteyx
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 8:06:36 AM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 12/8/2012
Posts: 36
Location: United Kingdom
NickiC wrote:


I don't care if you smoke but I don't want to smoke with you. Puff away in your own space where no one else has to inhale it. I don't even want to walk by it. Unlike many habits this one actually affects the living and breathing space of others.

The health risks of smoking have been fully established and smoking related cancers can be clearly identified. I agree.
LittleLuce
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 2:10:07 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/14/2013
Posts: 4,093
Location: Tucked up in bed with my Ty Beanie Moose!, United
As the years have gone by, the health risks of smoking have been become more evident and in the UK changes in the law have been brought in to reflect this. I respect that people smoke and I would not ask them to stop - it is their choice, but I would ask them not to smoke around me. They have a choice whether to smoke a cigarette or not....... one they light that cigarette, the choice has been taken away from me.
As far as changing job is concerned, there is a reason why we do the jobs we do and not always one to replace them with.




Yuzar
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 10:10:28 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 4/18/2012
Posts: 101
Location: Some obscure location, United States
Prohibition has been proven to not work. It's proven every day that drugs are treated as criminal acts rather than a public health issue. Banning cigs won't make people stop, it'll make it a marketable product for criminals and cartels. Should smoking be restricted to certain areas? yes. Hell I'm courteous enough to stay away from people when I smoke; I usually go off to the side so people can come and go as they please at stores and gas stations. I disagree with banning it from the public areas(with exceptions such as schools or places where young kids will be present, or elderly folks.) I think it'd spare everyone a headache if bars/restaurants made a smoking area.

Black & White I : My First Story
Domina I : Domina I
Guest
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 6:28:46 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,817
I think ... Sorry! brb, I need nicotine.
Guest
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 8:29:23 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,817
NickiC wrote:


I don't care if you smoke but I don't want to smoke with you. Puff away in your own space where no one else has to inhale it. I don't even want to walk by it. Unlike many habits this one actually affects the living and breathing space of others.


It is proven by many scientific studies that passive smoking is nearly same dangerous then active smoking. A few years ago Bavaria (Germany) banned smoking in public places including restaurants and pubs. At first there was a huge revolt here against it and many people thought that our way of life would change to the negative without the pubs full of smoke. Only one year later the government made a plebiscite to let the people vote about this general smoking ban in public places. The result was an overwhelming vote for keeping the smoke ban. In just one year many people noticed that their quality of life became better without smelling the smoke of their neighbor while being in restaurants or pubs. Even smokers voted for the smoke ban. I am personally not against smoking. Now and then I smoke a cohiba myself, but I do not like to blow my smoke to other people. It can be smoked very well while walking in the park and talking with a friend. To smoke or not is a personal decision, but responsibility and respect for others should be practiced to not harm others by your own way of life.
sprite
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 9:00:52 AM

Rank: Her Royal Spriteness

Joined: 6/18/2010
Posts: 13,725
Location: My Tower, United States
ArtMan wrote:
I think the anti-smoking thugs are beginning to take it too far. Regaeman Man


yeah, damn those people who don't want to die from lung cancer simply because someone else felt the need to light up at the table next to them! *shakes fist*
Guest
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 9:03:13 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,817
Aragon2 wrote:


It is proven by many scientific studies that passive smoking is nearly same dangerous then active smoking. A few years ago Bavaria (Germany) banned smoking in public places including restaurants and pubs. At first there was a huge revolt here against it and many people thought that our way of life would change to the negative without the pubs full of smoke. Only one year later the government made a plebiscite to let the people vote about this general smoking ban in public places. The result was an overwhelming vote for keeping the smoke ban. In just one year many people noticed that their quality of life became better without smelling the smoke of their neighbor while being in restaurants or pubs. Even smokers voted for the smoke ban. I am personally not against smoking. Now and then I smoke a cohiba myself, but I do not like to blow my smoke to other people. It can be smoked very well while walking in the park and talking with a friend. To smoke or not is a personal decision, but responsibility and respect for others should be practiced to not harm others by your own way of life.
Some people are weak and and has no desire to quit the addiction. I started smoking before they say it affects the lungsand I am sure if I began to drink or take drugs I would be addict too, so i prefer a packet of 20 cigarettes per day and my coffe.
Guest
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 9:06:10 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,817
I think it's right separate smokers of no smokers, but I feel a repudiation by smokers worse than the alcoholics.
silveranode
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 10:14:20 AM

Rank: Advanced Wordsmith

Joined: 9/15/2012
Posts: 97
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Who wants to kiss an ashtray?
Icarus32
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 10:19:37 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 4/10/2012
Posts: 246
Location: Around, Canada
I would totally smoke if it wasn't expensive, damaging to your health, didn't stain your teeth/fingers/lips/skin, and didn't make you stink. Unfortunately it does all that so I'm never going to smoke.

As for smoking in public, I don't care if your smoking on the sidewalk, it's open air and I can usually move around to be up wind. However I don't think people should be allowed to smoke inside public buildings, it stinks, and it's bad for everyone around you. If you want to smoke do it outside, otherwise wait till you get home.
Guest
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 10:21:48 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,817
silveranode wrote:
Who wants to kiss an ashtray?

The ashtray is not dirty all day and there is brush teeth and listerine in any hole.
I imagine: Who wants to kiss a bottle of wine? Specially cheap wine? Yuk
LASARDaddy
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 12:07:28 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 7/22/2013
Posts: 583
Location: Windsor, United States
Right on Sprite!

To start I think it should be banned as much as any other thing that hurts us is banned. It's illegal to smoke marijuana anywhere in every state by federal law and all states laws. Except for the 2 that have made it legal, Oregon and Colorado.

So far no one has shown that pot causes lung cancer but is has been absolutely proven that cigarettes do. Kind of a really ignorant dichotomy I think. And anyone who thinks cigarettes don't have a similar potential forgets what it felt like to start. You get higher than hell and that's what gets it going but as you continue it isn't as apparent. I took a hit at a party recently but they'd mixed it with tobacco and I was stoned out of my gourd for about 5 minutes. Almost exactly what a new pot smoker experiences.

Having worked in the same environment for years I agree totally. Change jobs? Bullshit! Where will they go? Into an executive position at some huge corporation? Right, all it'll be is another restaurant with smoke from other people. It took me 5 years and cost me 30 thousand dollars or so between 1963 and 1968 to get two degrees and become an engineer. Everyone should be able to do that though so it's not really a problem, right? What does it cost now? A couple hundred thousand, no problem.

I smoked from 15 when I succumbed to social pressure and started until I was 32 and had my youngest son was born in 1972. 17 years and then they told me it was bad for me and worse for my son so I quit. Actually the biggest reason was cigarettes went to $0.50 a pack and I was to cheap to continue. That was 39 years ago this month and about once a year I get a craving to smoke that's very strong, but only for a minute or so.

"It restricts personal freedom." Doesn't anyone read the shit that our elected officials put up as laws? Don't tell me about restrictions when I can be put in prison for saying, "I'd like to punch the president in the face."

It is illegal to ride on a motorcycle without a helmet. That one I agree with because I have to pay to keep that ignorant asshole alive after he suffers massive brain damage.

It's illegal to to talk on a cell phone while driving. I agree with that one too because it's called "Situational Blindness". You can not concentrate on two things at the same time. I share my middle finger with them and have called the police when I see it on the freeway. That should be attempted murder because it's a deliberate act on their part and it has a very high probability of harming or killing me. Wow! Smoking does exactly the same thing whether it's inside or outside, it just has a different time frame of occurrence.

It's illegal to be in a moving automobile without a seatbelt on. Again, I agree because I have to pay for the brain dead ones for many years. You want to be stupid try doing it all alone and not killing or crippling your children because you were.

I do not give a shit what you do to yourself, just don't share it with me. Does it bother me when someone kills themselves? Yeah, it does, but I don't own them. They get to do whatever they want to as long as it doesn't harm others. You decide for you but no one else. You have to teach your children so until they reach the point where they can do it themselves you are in charge of them. Not after though, unless they are incapable of it on their own.

I'll most likely get a lot of flack over this but why should I accede to anything that will harm me? Besides, it's an opinion and, like assholes, everyone has one. Courtesy and consideration! If it bothers anyone why is your desire to kill yourself more important than their desire to not smell it or be harmed by it?
Guest
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 8:46:15 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,817
Sandrita48 wrote:

The ashtray is not dirty all day and there is brush teeth and listerine in any hole.
I imagine: Who wants to kiss a bottle of wine? Specially cheap wine? Yuk


No. Smoke breath is just nasty. I will take wine breath any day of the week even if it is Franzia. At least with wine it is breath only. People who smoke their clothes, hair, hands and mouth smell. As well as their cars, houses and most likely their pets. It is not the same. I know people who have quit and they didn't realize until they did how smelly their habit was.
People who drink too much harm themselves, unless of course they get behind the wheel or do something stupid but I can sit next to them without my health being affected.

Guest
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 9:02:07 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,817
NickiC wrote:


No. Smoke breath is just nasty. I will take wine breath any day of the week even if it is Franzia. At least with wine it is breath only. People who smoke their clothes, hair, hands and mouth smell. As well as their cars, houses and most likely their pets. It is not the same. I know people who have quit and they didn't realize until they did how smelly their habit was.
People who drink too much harm themselves, unless of course they get behind the wheel or do something stupid but I can sit next to them without my health being affected.



I am very happy that my mate thinks the same about smoking. Waking up beside a smoker is like waking up beside ash-tray. The smell is annoying. I am very glad that we both do not smoke regularly. coffee
Guest
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 9:19:37 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,817
NickiC wrote:


No. Smoke breath is just nasty. I will take wine breath any day of the week even if it is Franzia. At least with wine it is breath only. People who smoke their clothes, hair, hands and mouth smell. As well as their cars, houses and most likely their pets. It is not the same. I know people who have quit and they didn't realize until they did how smelly their habit was.
People who drink too much harm themselves, unless of course they get behind the wheel or do something stupid but I can sit next to them without my health being affected.

I understand you, I hate smoke or cigarette smell in my bedroom,
except in special rooms where I am "working" But wine's breath still disgust me.
Guest
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 9:22:45 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,817
[quote=Aragon2]

I am very happy that my mate thinks the same about smoking. Waking up beside a smoker is like waking up beside ash-tray. The smell is annoying. I am very glad that we both do not smoke regularly. coffee [/quote
I am very happy to see that you both are having an increasingly perfect relationship thanks to my opinion.
Cupido couldn't have donne better.coffee
Guest
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 9:25:21 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,817
LASARDaddy wrote:
Right on Sprite!

To start I think it should be banned as much as any other thing that hurts us is banned. It's illegal to smoke marijuana anywhere in every state by federal law and all states laws. Except for the 2 that have made it legal, Oregon and Colorado.

So far no one has shown that pot causes lung cancer but is has been absolutely proven that cigarettes do. Kind of a really ignorant dichotomy I think. And anyone who thinks cigarettes don't have a similar potential forgets what it felt like to start. You get higher than hell and that's what gets it going but as you continue it isn't as apparent. I took a hit at a party recently but they'd mixed it with tobacco and I was stoned out of my gourd for about 5 minutes. Almost exactly what a new pot smoker experiences.

Having worked in the same environment for years I agree totally. Change jobs? Bullshit! Where will they go? Into an executive position at some huge corporation? Right, all it'll be is another restaurant with smoke from other people. It took me 5 years and cost me 30 thousand dollars or so between 1963 and 1968 to get two degrees and become an engineer. Everyone should be able to do that though so it's not really a problem, right? What does it cost now? A couple hundred thousand, no problem.

I smoked from 15 when I succumbed to social pressure and started until I was 32 and had my youngest son was born in 1972. 17 years and then they told me it was bad for me and worse for my son so I quit. Actually the biggest reason was cigarettes went to $0.50 a pack and I was to cheap to continue. That was 39 years ago this month and about once a year I get a craving to smoke that's very strong, but only for a minute or so.

"It restricts personal freedom." Doesn't anyone read the shit that our elected officials put up as laws? Don't tell me about restrictions when I can be put in prison for saying, "I'd like to punch the president in the face."

It is illegal to ride on a motorcycle without a helmet. That one I agree with because I have to pay to keep that ignorant asshole alive after he suffers massive brain damage.

It's illegal to to talk on a cell phone while driving. I agree with that one too because it's called "Situational Blindness". You can not concentrate on two things at the same time. I share my middle finger with them and have called the police when I see it on the freeway. That should be attempted murder because it's a deliberate act on their part and it has a very high probability of harming or killing me. Wow! Smoking does exactly the same thing whether it's inside or outside, it just has a different time frame of occurrence.

It's illegal to be in a moving automobile without a seatbelt on. Again, I agree because I have to pay for the brain dead ones for many years. You want to be stupid try doing it all alone and not killing or crippling your children because you were.

I do not give a shit what you do to yourself, just don't share it with me. Does it bother me when someone kills themselves? Yeah, it does, but I don't own them. They get to do whatever they want to as long as it doesn't harm others. You decide for you but no one else. You have to teach your children so until they reach the point where they can do it themselves you are in charge of them. Not after though, unless they are incapable of it on their own.

I'll most likely get a lot of flack over this but why should I accede to anything that will harm me? Besides, it's an opinion and, like assholes, everyone has one. Courtesy and consideration! If it bothers anyone why is your desire to kill yourself more important than their desire to not smell it or be harmed by it?
I Big Hugs Learned in this life that I have to "beat my own head against the wall" several times to learn. Unfortunately!
MidnightStrikesUsAll
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 8:45:54 AM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 1/28/2014
Posts: 22
Location: United Kingdom
Here in the UK the smoking ban has been in effect since 2007 and I'd hate to go back to what it was like before.
As a habit, it had a stranglehold over EVERYONE, smokers and non-smokers, because either way no matter where you went you had to put up with smoke.
I remember going to the nightclub when I was 18, just before the ban came into effect and I was dancing away on the dancefloor and I got accidentally burnt by an inebriated idiot that had his cigarette lit, swaying with it in hand. My initial reaction was one of rage that someone could be so stupid, drunk or not, to be on a packed dancefloor with a cigarette lit.

The fact remains that no one should ever have to pay for someone else's stupidity, and that fact transcends this topic.
We should also not have to pay for the health risks associated with second hand smoke.

It just comes down to common sense and basic respect for others.
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.